PDA

View Full Version : [POLL] Which Assassin has the most tragic story? (SPOILERS)

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm really curious and I wanted to know which Assassin had the most tragic story? Below is a brief summary of all well known Assassins we all know about.

Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad:
Born into the order, lost his father from a traitor of the order, Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad was considered a cold and calculating Assassin. He lost his rank as Master Assassin when a mission by Al-Mualim went awry and he broke the three creed of his Creed. His mentor turned into a Templar and tried to kill Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad in order to seize control of Masyaf. His wife died in the hands of a corrupt leader (and past friend) (Abbas) of the Assassin Brotherhood. One of his other son died from Abbas as well. His obsession with the Apple of Eden made him cryptic and shadowy. His kingdom was falling into ruins. In the end he took back his rightful place as leader and killed Abbas in the process. Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad knew nothing about the plans precursors (TWCB) had and was a puppet to help another man. He died in his library, peacefully sitting on a chair.

Ezio Auditore da Firenze:
Ezio, a charismatic person whose father was an Assassin. At the age of 17, he lost his father and brothers at the hand of a conspiracy led by the Templars. Subsequently he turned into an Assassin to uncover this secret plot and to find the killers of his family. In time he suffered the loss of his uncle Mario from the Borgia, and lost his lover Christina. When he met with Minerva, he had no idea what was going on and who was Desmond. He wanted to lead a normal life, away from being an Assassin. His attempts to learn more about the order led him to Masyaf and later Constantinople. He died in 1524 while his wife Sofia and his daughter were at a market. a smile on his face. At peace i should say.

RatonhnhakÚ:ton
Better known as Connor Kenway. At the age of 5 his village was burnt down and his mother died in it because he wasn't able to save when given a chance. He then met with a spirit (Juno) who directed him to join the Assassin so that he may be able to save his village. His main priority was to keep his Village safe, a priority that led him to meet with Achillies, a person who was once an Assassin before everything collapsed due to the Templars. Connor's father was the Master Templar (ouch). In time he realized that he was an outsider who was being used by patriots and (possibly British) because of his skills. He had to kill his childhood friend, and had to kill his father as well. His pursuit to save his Village failed and they abandoned it. He suffered major injuries and had lost his Mentor Achilles Davenport without saying good bye to him.

Clay Kaczmarek
An Assassin of the 21st Century, led by William Miles. Clay suffered from developmental disorders and his father neglected him. He was chosen to infiltrate Abstergo, a modern-day front of the Templars. He became Subject 16. He had a person inside to help him escape when the time was right. She was Lucy Stillman. Abstergo used him heavily and he had trouble separating himself and his ancestors from each other. In time he became mentally unstable and his "friend" stopped working for the Assassin and joined the Templars. He had no chance to escape and because he was contacted by Juno, he decided to create a construct of himself inside the Animus so that he could help Desmond to see the truth. He committed suicide by painting the walls of his confinement with blood in order to warn Desmond of the coming trouble Desmond was going to face.

Desmond Miles
The son of William Miles, Desmond was trained to become an Assassin. He ran away because he didn't want to become one. He fled to Chicago and New York before being kidnapped by Abstergo. Abstergo called him Subject 17 and was forced to relieve the lives of his ancestor. In time Lucy revealed herself to be an Assassin and tried to help Desmond. Desmond also saw Clay's bloodied message because of his Eagle Vision. After running away from Abstergo, Desmond relieved the lives of other Assassins so that he may learn more about the coming Apocalypse scheduled for 12/21/12. He found an Apple of Eden and was forced to stab Lucy because she was a Templar and Juno had took control of Desmond. He fell into a coma, and met with Clay's construct who guided him so that Desmond may wake up. On October 30th, Desmond woke up and found himself at the gates of a temple. He was supposed to save the world by activating a device made by the TWCB. In time he grew more and more suspicious of Juno and her true intentions. On December 21st 2012, Desmond found the key that would open the gates and allow him to activate the device. But at that point Juno's true intention was revealed. She manipulated the device so that the world could be saved and she could become free. The device would also kill Desmond in the process. Juno would be able to rule the world. Faced with a choice of either choosing to save the world or not, Desmond decided that his brotherhood was strong enough to rise up against Juno and defeat her. He sacrificed himself to save the world, releasing Juno as well.

I am sooo tired and some of my summaries are pretty weak. Any additional information would be appreciated. Personally I feel that both Connor and Clay have a more tragic life compared to the other Assassins. It's hard to decide between them,

Also it's quite true what Erudito said in one of his AC3 Multiplayer hacks:
Did all Assassins suffer a tragic loss prior to joining the gang? Guess you have to be mentally unstable to be inducted into the Brotherhood. _-_-_

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 09:13 AM
It was extremely tough to choose between Clay and Connor. Playing TLA also shows just how unhappy Clay`s childhood was too and when he thought he finally found hope in the Assassins, he sunk into a deeper hole of madness, betrayal and painful death.

A missing piece you also forgot to mention with Connor is (HIGHLIGHT TO SHOW) his later regret over killing his father. it`s mentioned in the Novel.

To be honest, I think they all had very tragic and painful lives. the bit that hurt me most with Desmond was when he asked William about his Mother and how he just wanted to hear her voice and say Hi after so many years (Maybe because I can relate to it more)

Death of Mario. It may not have moved him as much as did his Father, but i`m sure it broke him to an extent and after finally thinking he had surpassed that feeling of revenge, it`s reignited again and that`s, suffice to say, the worst feeling a human being could ever have. Cristina`s death withered Ezio too. he may not have been good at showing it, but he mentions that it did. Also mentioned in the book is the death of Caterina which is said to have brought him great sorrow too.

Ahmed Sofian, Abbass` father, is not really a traitor, though. Human beings have limits and he was tortured to his breaking point and ratted Umar to the Saracens, but he later fell into depression and subsequently cut his throat in front of an 11 year old Altair. Adha is another source of sorrow for Altair as well. She was the first person to ever ignite romance in Altair, but she was killed and he was ater consumed by Revenge to the point that he thought he was never going to feel for another Woman again.

I ended up choosing Connor, though...

YuurHeen
12-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Well Desmond is the only one that did not had a tragic reason to join the assassins so he doesn't count.
While ezio had 3 great tragics he also had a great life with enough women, wealth and friends.
While Clay had a tragic life for sure he did not have to see a love one dieing unlike the others.
Connor had most tragics to blame for himself. except for his village burning. His tribe was better of with the loyalist so of course they abandoned it after they lost. he only had to kill his father after seeing that he would never be allies. and his mentor passed on of a more natural death unlike with altair that was betrayed by his mentor.
I am going with altair for sure.

RinoTheBouncer
12-25-2012, 09:50 AM
I'd say all of the above.
Non of them really had a good life. May I can list them from most to least tragic but who am I to measure who's problems were less than the others?

If I had to, I'd say (Most to least tragic)

Clay Kaczmarek
Desmond Miles
Altair Ibn La Ahad
RatonhnhakÚ:ton
Ezio Auditore Da Firenze

My most favorite story and character is Ezio, of course but when it comes to a tragic story, I think Clay's and Desmond's are the most tragic because they simply had no life.

Clay Kaczmarek, he had a sick childhood, found salvation and hope in the Brotherhood only to be shocked by a deteriorating health and sanity, not to mention the out-of-ordinary way to die. People wish they'd die on their bed, in battle or in the arms of a loved one or the worst might be in a fast accident with no pain, but deteriorate slowly and painfully, see those visions and blur the lines between reality and fantasy then become part of a program that gets deleted, now that's devastating way to die. He did all this for the Brotherhood and the good of mankind while mankind called him "Subject 16", not even honor him with a name or show him appreciation cause he's "crazy" or "test subject".

Altair Ibn-La Ahad, though he got married, had children but his life since he was a kid was "Assassin" nothing more or less, like a machine that accomplishes missions for a traitor "Al Mualim" and then people turned against him because of Abbas and the rest, the girl he loved died before her time, his wife got killed on the hands of the man who ruined his life in Masyaf, Abbas and in the end he had to end his life just so people won't find the Apple. I guess that's pretty painful to see your life nothing more than a series of duties to do and a hell lot of big sacrifices to give for the good of others, not yourself. Not even for a minute.

Desmond also had no life at all, and just we he started to move on from his painful childhood, Abstergo intervened to remind him of every bit of the pain he wanted to escape. Just when he was about to fall in love, he was forced to kill his crush, just when his relationship with his dad started to repair itself, he had to go so I guess he's an example of the man who saw happiness at the horizon but always arrived too late, not to mention that in the end, the work he did to bring freedom to was all in vain. He gave it all up including his own short life just for survival, not for freedom which was the reason for the existence of Assassins.

Ratonhnhake:ton, lost his mother in young age, never knew his father. He went out to fight for the freedom of his people and village which ended up being sold after all the hard work and his people moving to another location like he didn't do anything at all. He was forced to murder his own father who only became a father because he had an affair with a woman from his village, gave birth to him and forgot him long ago and his main concern was how close he is to the Grand Temple. It's frustrating to follow the message of an entity that you don't know for a reasons that you can't understand and a result that has nothing to do with what you aim for. Why? because somebody else wanted him to do so for "the greater good" which didn't turn out to be so good.

Ezio Auditore Da Firenze, he was a young man, enjoying life with his parents, brothers and sister, living so recklessly and joyfully and one day after sharing the last words with his brother "I hope it never changes" when he talked about how good their life is and how he hope it remains the same, it turned upside down. Trusting the wrong people, witnessing the death of his father and brothers, later his uncle whom he finally started considering a close person and maybe a father figure too. Losing his loved one, being inducted in a group he never knew before, the Assassins and whenever this man felt that it's over, it turned upside down on him. It's like there was never any peace for this brave man until his marriage. He's the example of someone who had a life that he NEVER thought he would and it's not in a positive way. The reason why I put his story as the least tragic is because he did have moments of joy and some say that you can say you had a happy life if you die happy. I guess he did die happy with his wife and children around him, an old glorious man who had somebody who loved him.

Now I'm getting tears in my eyes after writing all this...

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Well Desmond is the only one that did not had a tragic reason to join the assassins so he doesn't count.

It`s not about a tragic reason to join the Brotherhood.

Just a tragic life in general..

ProletariatPleb
12-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Alta´r IMO.
Yes yes they all had personal losses, but they didn't sacrifice everything else for the order like Alta´r did.

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Connor for me.

Altair's life was pretty hard, and his death was tragic but he achieved everything he wanted. His surviving family was well-off and the Brotherhood was flourishing.
Ezio's teenage life was tragic but he found people who cared as he went along. He settled in a peaceful location with his wife and had two kids. He died a happy man.
Didn't play TLA so I'd not know much about Clay's history but even he achieved what he was aiming for, and he cheated death too, in a way.
Desmond didn't have much of a story to begin with. Not one that I got attached to anyway. Infact he was merrily boozing and banging (probably) before he got kidnapped by Abstergo and remembered who he was and what he had to do.

But nothing like working your *** off to build a better future for your people, kill a number of people, some of them very dear to you, to achieve that goal. And at the end of it seeing that very goal crumble to pieces. Not only that, but the knowledge that all of your actions not only didn't matter to the slightest, (as someone put it very well before me) but they actively worked towards the destruction of your tribe. Everything you wanted to achieve, to secure, to save is already gone, and YOU played a big part in that. How does it feel now Connor? And that to me, is tragic beyond measures. beyond what other Assassins got.

The only other Assassin that comes close in the tragic-ness would be Nikolai Orelov. OP should have included him too. :P

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 10:41 AM
All of these opinions really bring out how cruel a world can be over a person. Also Assassin_M I have just started the book and yup, the prologue does hint it.

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 11:03 AM
On a side note what about Achilles Davenport? Even though he isn't a special (read: hybrid) Assassin, he still nonetheless has a tragic life as well before Connor's arrival.

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 11:11 AM
On a side note what about Achilles Davenport? Even though he isn't a special (read: hybrid) Assassin, he still nonetheless has a tragic life as well before Connor's arrival.
I don't think he has to be a Hybrid (Who`s to say he`s not, though ?):p

Anyways, Yes. Having so many successes at the beginning of his career as an Assassin, only to see EVERYTHING crumble on his head..He probably had to live with the thought that he failed the Brotherhood.

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I loved that argument Connor had with Achilles just before meeting Washington and his later apology to him. So many beautiful moments in this game..

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't think he has to be a Hybrid (Who`s to say he`s not, though ?):p

Anyways, Yes. Having so many successes at the beginning of his career as an Assassin, only to see EVERYTHING crumble on his head..He probably had to live with the thought that he failed the Brotherhood.

I'm glad Connor came to Achilles and restored him back. I bet Achilles would have died earlier due to depression if it wasn't for Connor. I guess we could thank Juno for that (even though she is still evil and I still hate her).

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm glad Connor came to Achilles and restored him back. I bet Achilles would have died earlier due to depression if it wasn't for Connor. I guess we could thank Juno for that (even though she is still evil and I still hate her).
I don't think Juno gave a crap xD

Although...She had a bit of tragedy in her life too...Father dying at the hands of Humans, pressure of working before disaster, killing her own husband...she got effed up too...She`s going to be a very interesting Antagonist

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah, without Connor Achilles would have died a sad and lonely death. Connor came into his life one rainy evening, and gave the old man some last years of peace, and a heir.

Excuse me, I have to wipe my tears. :(

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't think Juno gave a crap xD

Although...She had a bit of tragedy in her life too...Father dying at the hands of Humans, pressure of working before disaster, killing her own husband...she got effed up too...She`s going to be a very interesting Antagonist

Imagine, waiting 70-80 thousands of years just to enact revenge and to pull all kinds of strings and threads just to have your personal goal fulfilled. Now that's dedication

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 11:35 AM
She`s going to be a very interesting Antagonist

Certainly better than an inanimate disaster and a few lolevil Abestergo scientists..

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Imagine, waiting 70-80 thousands of years just to enact revenge and to pull all kinds of strings and threads just to have your personal goal fulfilled. Now that's dedication
It`s a weird kind of dedication...but it`s admirable nonetheless..

Yeah, without Connor Achilles would have died a sad and lonely death. Connor came into his life one rainy evening, and gave the old man some last years of peace, and a heir.

Excuse me, I have to wipe my tears. :(
Only Scene in a video game to ever bring me to tears...Achilles` letter monologue was superb..and Connor digging that grave..

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 11:37 AM

I suddenly find myself respecting Juno a little bit here. She does know how to plan and execute. All the assassin ancestors got played by her.

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Only Scene in a video game to ever bring me to tears...Achilles` letter monologue was superb..and Connor digging that grave..

Actually I stopped digging the grave to listen to the full thing, was not sure if digging the grave quickly would interrupt the monologue, but yeah.. that line.. "You have given an old man hope.." in dat voice... opened the floodgates :|

And I did the mission wearing the native outfit. Brings out teh feelz better.. :p

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 11:42 AM

Actually I stopped digging the grave to listen to the full thing, was not sure if digging the grave quickly would interrupt the monologue, but yeah.. that line.. "You have given an old man hope.." in dat voice... opened the floodgates :|

And I did the mission wearing the native outfit. Brings out teh feelz better.. :p
I did that too...I thought digging quicker, ends it quicker..so I stopped digging for some time, but I wore the Assassin Outfit:p

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Don't even remind me of that..... OH GOD!!!! Why show me this mission... I drowned in genuine tears and even made a post about it that didn't become popular.

kuled2012
12-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Just dawned on me what an awful lives these Assassins led. Quite sad.

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Just dawned on me what an awful lives these Assassins lead. Quite sad.

The Clan Mother said it. "The people who bear that symbol are brave and courageous, but it also demands sacrifice and pain.."

AjinkyaParuleka
12-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Ezio,Desmond,Altair,Connor,Clay,all of them had tragic lives..
Altair never had a fun childhood Assassin's were prevented from showing love for their kids..he lost Adha to templars,then faced betrayal by Al Mualim,That's where he met Maria Thorpe,after that Altair's life was probably good,untill Abbas killed Sef saying Altair ordered it,then the death of his wife.His eyes weren't rested till Ezio came by.
Connor oh well....he's too much to explain...WAY to much.
and Clay i bet he had the most tragic life.Abusive Parents,betrayal at the hands of Lucy and the most painful....his suicide.

shobhit7777777
12-25-2012, 02:21 PM
First off...great thread idea....this is a really hard choice

I'll have to go with Connor

All the other Assassin's have had closure. Altair had a lineage, a legacy and passed away...IMO peacefully. As did Ezio. Connor on the other hand.....man...he can't catch a break. Apart from not having any "roots" and being torn between two factions...the dude has had a very troubled life (till AC3 ending that is) and hasn't known the joys that his predecessors knew.
Plus...he was fighting uphill throughout....and didn't really "win".

I'd be super pissed if I was Connor.

she-assassin
12-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Clay's life was like one horrible tragedy after another. Sometimes I wonder if the writers specifically created his character to break my heart. Numerous times. I mean there's a tragic story and then there's... Clay. :(

SixKeys
12-25-2012, 02:36 PM
What about Nikolai? Or Daniel Cross, even. He was an assassin up until he found out his whole life had been a lie. After which he went crazy and spent the rest of his life alternating between being a homicidal psychopath and an insecure guy with daddy issues.

To me it's obvious that Connor had the most tragic life. He na´vely believed he could make a difference in the world and that all men could be free one day, only to find himself and his tribe continuously screwed over by all parties. He spent his whole life fighting, getting beat up and shunned by society due to his heritage, and in the end none of it mattered. He lost his best friend, mentor/father figure and finally his entire tribe. I wouldn't be surprised if the Homestead community he built got bought out or attacked by greedy colonists at some point because they couldn't accept an "injun" running his own town.

DavisP92
12-25-2012, 04:33 PM
The OP left some aspects of Altair's life out, he didn't mention that when Altair was a young boy he was running to his father to be with him but his father sacrificed himself so that the Assassins wouldn't be destroyed. So his father died somewhat before his eyes, add that Altair was in love with a girl before his wife. And she left him, i can't remember her name. I'm not sure if she died or had to leave because some reason, i remember she had to do with the pieces of eden though. Then you have Altair's son dying believing that his father was the one that wanted him dead and Altair hearing about that part. Then his emotions was the cause of his wife dying, his other son leaving him because he couldn't handle his depressed father. Seeing his best friend Malek suffering then saving him only to see that he is beheaded after rescuing him and blamed for his death.

My vote is for Altair. Connor only saw his mother die, and mentor. Ezio had his father, two brothers, uncle and lover, Clay just went crazy and died, and Desmond... meh. The only one that could contest with Altair would be Ezio but seeing how Ezio found love at the end and had a family, I see his story being more of a happy ending.

Edit: Malek's death, hearing about his son dying, and his wife's death all happened in the same moment as well. Also Al Mualin was more than a leader/assassin mentor for Altair, he was like a second father. So having to kill someone you were raised by also takes it's tole.

Assassin_M states Altair's past lover on page 1

BATISTABUS
12-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Awesome job with those summaries.

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 07:49 PM
The OP left some aspects of Altair's life out, he didn't mention that when Altair was a young boy he was running to his father to be with him but his father sacrificed himself so that the Assassins wouldn't be destroyed. So his father died somewhat before his eyes, add that Altair was in love with a girl before his wife. And she left him, i can't remember her name. I'm not sure if she died or had to leave because some reason, i remember she had to do with the pieces of eden though. Then you have Altair's son dying believing that his father was the one that wanted him dead and Altair hearing about that part. Then his emotions was the cause of his wife dying, his other son leaving him because he couldn't handle his depressed father. Seeing his best friend Malek suffering then saving him only to see that he is beheaded after rescuing him and blamed for his death.

My vote is for Altair. Connor only saw his mother die, and mentor. Ezio had his father, two brothers, uncle and lover, Clay just went crazy and died, and Desmond... meh. The only one that could contest with Altair would be Ezio but seeing how Ezio found love at the end and had a family, I see his story being more of a happy ending.

Edit: Malek's death, hearing about his son dying, and his wife's death all happened in the same moment as well. Also Al Mualin was more than a leader/assassin mentor for Altair, he was like a second father. So having to kill someone you were raised by also takes it's tole.

Assassin_M states Altair's past lover on page 1

OP here. Yup, I feel really bad I had forgotten about this. So thanks dude....

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Awesome job with those summaries.

Thanks BATISTABUS but like the posts above you, I didn't really flesh all of them out properly.So thanks to the community!

POP1Fan
12-25-2012, 08:09 PM
I chose Clay, not because Connor wasn't tragic, but I really feel that his tragedy comes from his own doing. Apart from his village being burned, mostly everything that happend to him was because he made wrong choices, unlike the others, who just had everything thrown at them. He chose to side with the Patriot, which made him lose the trust of his people and didn't achieve anything in the end, he chose to ally with Washington, who betrayed him. He blindly hated Charles Lee (sure, the guy was a jerk, but Connor took it to an extreme. Washington was a jerk too)... The fact that everything fell apart was not just life sucking, like for the others (Altair was unlucky to be born into the Creed, Ezio's family was killed again because Ezio was randomly the son of an Assassin, Clay had a miserable life because of his father and Desmond pretty much had Altair's fate). If he had sided with the Redcoats his people would have been fine, or if he had joined the Templars (since this period's Templars are not evil bastards like in Ezio's time and Altair was an Assassin since he was a young boy.. he couldn't "regret the only life he had ever known"). Sure, this is my opinion and the way I see it. I find making bad choices in life less tragic than life simply knocking you down your feet every time she can (personal experience).

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 08:17 PM
He could never have joined the Templars. Juno made sure of that. He could have allied with them but the revelation of Washington took care of it. So it's kinda unfair to blame him for not joining or allying with the Templars.

POP1Fan
12-25-2012, 08:28 PM
He could never have joined the Templars. Juno made sure of that. He could have allied with them but the revelation of Washington took care of it. So it's kinda unfair to blame him for not joining or allying with the Templars.

Well, yeah, but Haytham tried to make him see their ways. Sure, I agree that if there is a good decision Connor did that was repayed bad was not joining the Templars.

Kaschra
12-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Ugh, this thread is really depressing...

I think it's easier to choose who had the happiest life, since most of them had really horrible lives :/

Ezio had the easiest and happiest childhood, that's for sure. But then his whole life turned upside down because of the betrayal of his family and the death of his father and brothers.
I remember that memory where Ezio had to carry the dead bodies of his family members to a boat. That was... just horrible ;__;
He lost a lot of people close to him after that, his uncle and new father figure Mario, his first love Cristina, his friend Yusuf... He lived a life not chosen by him. As he said himself, for 30 years he served the memory of his father and brothers and fought against injustice.
But in the end, he found happiness through his wife Sofia and his children and died with a content smile on his face. I think his life was probably the happiest, he had lots of friends and allies and not only horrible moments.

Altair... he lived the only way of life he had ever known, the life of an assassin. His mother died during childbirth, his father got executed when he was a child. His mentor and father figure turned out to be a traitor and Altair had to kill him, and his first love Adha was killed by the Templars. He didn't expect to love someone again after this, but he was wrong, he found Maria and had two sons with her. I guess 30 years between that and Abbas' betrayal were quiet happy. But then... yeah, Abbas, that ****ing idiot. He did not only command to kill Altair's youngest son Sef (and telling him that his own father had ordered that), he was also responsible for the deaths of Malik and Maria. And then Altair and his son Darim were forced to leave Masyaf, the assassins and live in exile for 20 years. After the 20 years, Altair returned and claimed Masyaf back. Whatreally breaks my heart are all these visions about Maria Altair has while going back the the fortress. Even after all these years, the death of his wife still hurts so much ;__;
He lived a long life and died at the age of 92, all alone in his library.

Connor had a happy life till the age of 5 - then his village was burnt down and his mother died.
He too was forced into the life of an assassin, hunting down the templars because he thought he could save his people that way. But he couldn't. His allies, the patriots and George Washington, turned out to be responsible for the burning of his village. They just used him for their own gain, and almost excecuted him, too.
He also had to kill his templar father and his friend, both which he regretted (the prologue of the novel hints that he was sorry for killing Haytham after all).
In the end, Hickey was right. Connor fought bravely, tried so hard to help his people, but ended up with nothing at all.
Since the game ends when Connor is just 27 years old, we don't know what his later life was like. We don't know if he found happiness, but it's possible.

Then we have Aveline, and I haven't played the game myself, just read about it and watched a few playthroughs, so I don't know that much about her. But her mother disappeared when she was a child. And her stepmother, who seemed to care for her, turned out to be a templar and had used her the whole time.
And something about her mentor Agate, who thought that Aveline had switched sides and joined the templar. He committed suicide after fighting Aveline. I don't know much more about that :/

Desmond. Desmond was born into the brotherhood and from early on trained to be an assassin. His dad was really harsh and probably even abused him, as hinted by an optional dialogue between William and Desmond in AC3 (I don't know the exact words, it was after William punched Desmond in the face, but Desmond said something along the lines of "I'm not a scared kid anymore, this time I'll hit back.") Well, I can't see William as a good, loving father anyway.
"You have any idea what it's like to be trapped in a place, knowing there was a whole world out there I'd never get to see?"
Desmond felt like a caged bird, not allowed to live his own life. He decided to run away. For the next 9 years, he worked as a bartender. And then we all know what happened, Abstergo caught him and forced him into the animus, threatened to kill him after they found what they were looking for. He was their prisoner.
Well, then he escaped, relieved Ezio's life to learn that there was a terrible disaster not far ahead in the future, and that he had to stop it. He was burdened with the safety of the whole world, of billions of lives on his shoulders.
Then he had to kill Lucy who he possibly had feelings for. And then alter she turned out to be a traitor. Fell into a coma.
And in the end he had to make a terrible choice - letting the world burn but thus not freeing Juno, or freeing Juno and saving the lives of billions of people. He chose the latter - and sacrificed his own life. He died at age 25. He was so young ;__;

And then there is Clay "I have a completely fu*cked up life" Kaczmarek.
He had a conflicting relationship with his father, who neglected him. Whenever Clay thought he could prove himself to his father, he was dissapointed. His father expected him to become an engineer and was dissapointed that Clay didn't make it to a top academy and wanted to be a computer engineer instead. His mother left the family because of his father.
He was looking for acceptance his whole life.
He also had psychological problems the whole time, which got better after he joined the assassins. Here he found his purpose, something that was worth fighting for. He could finally prove himself worthy. (I think it's easy to relate to that... at least I feel the same, sometimes...)
Later on he was captured by Abstergo and forced to relive the lives of his ancestors. You all know what happened then.
They forced him to stay in the animus for days sometimes, and he went insane, started to lose himself, to forget what was real and what was not. I can't and don't want to imagine what it's like to not who who you are, where you are, even what century it is ;__;
Clay was loosing himself to the memories of his ancestors. Hearing his pain, his suffering in his voice whenever I play the glyphs is horrible. He probably had no silent minute anymore, no peace, he heard foreign voics the whole time and visions from the past were haunting him.

“I can’t do it. Can I do it? Will it set me free from this endless ring of time? I feel the guillotine cut my throat, the bullet hit my chest, the water fill my lungs. The blood spills out thick and red. It’s time to get out.”
"All this pain across time... it hurts too much..."

Looks like he even felt the pain his ancestors suffered...

There was no way out for him, because Lucy turned out to be a traitor. Then Juno revealed his purpose to him and told him he would die soon.
In the end, Clay created an articificial intelligence before he committed suicide. He cut his wrists with a ballpoint pen and painted the walls and floors with his own blood. Even thinking about that makes me feel sick. He bled to death. I don't want to imagine how painful and horrible that is...
And the Abstergo dumped his body in a river.
And that's not all, his artificial self was all alone in the animus for about two months, and was so desperate to get out of the animus, but he couldn't because his body was already dead. And in the end, he got deleted by the animus ;__;

“I know you are there. I want to go home. Home. Please…I need you. Don’t leave me here in the dark.”
“Reasoning Centers Active. I understand. I understand what I must do. Why I am here. I must…Long-term Memory Centers active. No. No. Get it out. GET IT OUT. KILL ME!”

Whoops, I just wrote a novel.
Now I'm sad :(

All of them had sh*tty lives, that's for sure. Well, it was a hard choice, but I voted for Clay.

Chariflame
12-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Clay. Everyone else has summed up the reasons why. :'(

renatabls
12-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Clay.

DavisP92
12-26-2012, 03:43 AM
OP here. Yup, I feel really bad I had forgotten about this. So thanks dude....

it's okay no reason for thanks, :P

RinoTheBouncer
12-26-2012, 06:33 AM
I chose Clay, not because Connor wasn't tragic, but I really feel that his tragedy comes from his own doing. Apart from his village being burned, mostly everything that happend to him was because he made wrong choices, unlike the others, who just had everything thrown at them. He chose to side with the Patriot, which made him lose the trust of his people and didn't achieve anything in the end, he chose to ally with Washington, who betrayed him. He blindly hated Charles Lee (sure, the guy was a jerk, but Connor took it to an extreme. Washington was a jerk too)... The fact that everything fell apart was not just life sucking, like for the others (Altair was unlucky to be born into the Creed, Ezio's family was killed again because Ezio was randomly the son of an Assassin, Clay had a miserable life because of his father and Desmond pretty much had Altair's fate). If he had sided with the Redcoats his people would have been fine, or if he had joined the Templars (since this period's Templars are not evil bastards like in Ezio's time and Altair was an Assassin since he was a young boy.. he couldn't "regret the only life he had ever known"). Sure, this is my opinion and the way I see it. I find making bad choices in life less tragic than life simply knocking you down your feet every time she can (personal experience).

I sort of agree with this, although I must add that most of the time, you can't tell the you're making the wrong decision until you fall for it. I mean, what chances does a guy from a tribe that everyone looks down upon have? what kinda decisions you expect a guy like him to take? he grew up seeing his mother die and the last notable figure he met was Charles Lee who admitted ruining his village so for sure he'll consider him to be the bad guy even if someone else is behind him. I guess theres more to his story, I totally see Ubisoft finding a way to make us live the rest of Connor's memories somehow to see what sides he took later and whether a happy or a sad ending awaited him.

I find the ending of AC3 when Connor came back and found his village empty more like the moment of execution of Ezio's father and brothers. It was as disappointment, result of wrong decisions and trusting the wrong people but it was just the beginning of a lifelong struggle.

Turul.
12-26-2012, 06:53 AM
MAJOR SPOILERS WARNING

Conner loses his mother at age 5. Has to kill his best friend and his father, loses his mentor, is betrayed by a people he spent his whole life helping free ,his homeland is eventually sold to the highest bidder, and ultimately learns he was just a pawn of the "spirits".

That is easily by far the most tragic tale, he sacrifices and loses everything and receives nothing in return but a knife in the back.

RinoTheBouncer
12-26-2012, 07:37 AM
MAJOR SPOILERS WARNING

Conner loses his mother at age 5. Has to kill his best friend and his father, loses his mentor, is betrayed by a people he spent his whole life helping free ,his homeland is eventually sold to the highest bidder, and ultimately learns he was just a pawn of the "spirits".

That is easily by far the most tragic tale, he sacrifices and loses everything and receives nothing in return but a knife in the back.

True! Ratonhnhake:ton's story was a very tragic one. The only thing that makes me choose Clay's and Altair's as the most tragic is that Connor is like 27 now, he still has a long life in front of him. Altair and Ezio both been paws when they were at the age of Connor for various reasons but their lives ahead of them were somewhat different from one another.

DavisP92
12-26-2012, 08:16 AM
MAJOR SPOILERS WARNING

good point, but killing his father isn't that big of a deal to me. He knew from the beginning he had to do it, and fought that idea then came realized he had to. And he never learned he was just a pawn, i'm sure all he knows is he was suppose to do something and he did. Job complete, he didn't know that it would lead to something bad.

But your opinion and i'm not going to argue it :), my vote is for Altair. Although, all the assassins have tragic lives.

Extrarium_v1
12-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Connor for me, he was just used and used by people he thought were his friends. He set out to save his village, and was lied to and given false assurance that he'd get the help he wanted, but in the end it all backfired. Connor had no one in his life, besides his mother who died, his bestfriend who he had to kill, and his mentor that died without the opportunity to say goodbye. Sure all the others lost someone important, but Connor lost every single person that was important to him, and failed his personal goals. Connor basically lost everything (unless you did the homestead missions, then he has friends there, but none extremely close). Connor didn't even have a love interest, I mean like come on, he's probably the only virgin out of everyone listed lol

Felix-Vivo
12-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I could hardly pick between Connor and Clay, with Altair reasonably close. I chose Clay just because, as others have said, Connor is only 27 and for all we know, his life turns around and he lives happily on the Homestead forever.

We know exactly how Clay ends and it isn't very cheery :'(

Assassin_M
12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
he lives happily on the Homestead forever.

Shaun states that the Manor Disappears at the end of the 18th Century :|

Connor was abducted by Aliens :|

GoldyTart
12-27-2012, 07:06 PM

When put together with Juno's line saying that there's more in store for Connor and the epilogue of the Forsaken novel....
Well.... Connor will still stick around with us

Baked_Cookies
12-27-2012, 08:54 PM
I dont think Connor has the saddest story out of any of these. It has to be Clay or Ezio because of what happened to Ezios father and brothers. Yes I know Connors mom was killed but I still feel Ezio had it worse than Connor and Clay even more so than Ezio

TrueAssassin77
12-27-2012, 11:12 PM
I dont think Connor has the saddest story out of any of these. It has to be Clay or Ezio because of what happened to Ezios father and brothers. Yes I know Connors mom was killed but I still feel Ezio had it worse than Connor and Clay even more so than Ezio

becoming an orphan at the age of 5 vs Having male family killed at the age of 17
Failing at everything vs ending life happily married, passing away peacefully with a smile upon his face

DELTA Kristian
12-27-2012, 11:30 PM
I do choose Connor because: He never almost saw his father,his mother died as he was a kid.He was forced to kill his friends and father...

Assassin_M
12-27-2012, 11:38 PM
becoming an orphan at the age of 5 vs Having male family killed at the age of 17
Failing at everything vs ending life happily married, passing away peacefully with a smile upon his face
I think it`s a matter of relating. If he thinks that having your fathers and brothers die in front of you at the age of 17 is more tragic than seeing your mother at the age of 5 then there`s nothing wrong with that..

I didn't hinge when I saw the Auditore execution, but I was on the brink of tears when I saw Connor`s mother die...

FirestarLuva
12-28-2012, 12:33 AM

Maybe Connor died before the end of the 18th century. I have a feeling if they make a Connor game in the French Revolution, Connor will die at the end of it, 1799.
I doubt Connor will ever live happily with a family like Altair or Ezio. He's meant to be a tragic character and no tragic character ends happily. :/ And the devs love to abuse him.
Back on topic, Connor and Clay for me.

LoyalACFan
12-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Hmm... Interesting poll...

Honestly, it's hard to decide... Of the three ancestors, I'm probably going to have to go with Altair. While all three of them lost their families and homes at some point, the other two eventually recovered and rebuilt. Ezio found Sofia and started a family, and Connor fostered the community of the Homestead. Altair lost his son, his best friend, and the love of his life, partly due to his own actions, and died knowing that his home was lost to the Mongols. That's a pretty sad tale.

Between Desmond and Clay... It's Clay. Play the Lost Archive. That should sufficiently explain my answer.

lothario-da-be
12-28-2012, 10:05 AM
It was hard to choose but i voted for Connor, he realy lost everything, but he's still young and can still have a good life.

CartopBALTO
01-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Don't put Aveline and RatonhnhakÚ:ton as options in the same poll, unless you plan to add an option, both. According to me, their stories are equally tragic.