PDA

View Full Version : Kotaku.com: One Assassin's Creed III Debate To Rule Them All (SPOILERS)

im3jia
12-25-2012, 02:55 AM
"What started as an email exchange between Luke and Stephen expanded to include Kirk, and eventually gave way to a lengthy chatroom discussion. It's all below for your perusal. Major Assassin's Creed III spoilers throughout."

Three writers from Kotaku share their thoughts on AC 3, a lot of discussion on different topics about the game. Pretty lengthy, so read only if you don't have anything else to do.

http://kotaku.com/5971086/one-assassins-creed-iii-debate-to-rule-them-all

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 02:58 AM
I`v read enough views and opinions on the game that another "lengthy" view would just make me set myself on fire...

SixKeys
12-25-2012, 04:22 AM
I actually read the whole thing, it was pretty interesting. The guys all remained civil even when discussing points they completely disagreed on. I agree with Stephen (the most positive one) on the Desmond bits. The other two guys were complaining how confusing the temple was to navigate. Maybe I'm just way more into exploring than they are, but really? The Desmond bits, hard? The game actually creates some pretty obvious markers to help you figure out where to go. I also disagree with Kirk and Luke on the controls being bad and treerunning being difficult.

Besides those points, I mostly agree with Kirk and Luke on a lot of things. I think they were right in pointing out perhaps the biggest problem the game has: the world is too big. It feels like a case of too many cooks spoiling the soup. Had the world been a bit less ambitious in scope, I think it would have brought some more tightness into the mission structure and felt more cohesive as a whole, instead of having a lot of elements that feel oddly disconnected from one another.

jenyto
12-25-2012, 04:45 AM
Kinda annoyed with Luke, who only seems to do things to be rewarded when it's mostly to add depth to the story and complains about it :mad:

BATISTABUS
12-25-2012, 06:16 AM
So I decided to read the whole thing. The Assassin's Creed community is crazy in the sense that nobody can even agree on what the game needs on a fundamental level. It's frustrating...while it's fun for discussion, it leaves the future of the games in a very delicate balance. It makes me pretty anxious, honestly...all we can do is just hope the developers figure it out for the next one.

Overall, I agreed with certain things the different writers wrote, but it's nothing a regular on these forums hasn't seen before.

souNdwAve89
12-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Well said, SixKeys and BATISTABUS. I am always up for a good health debate and it's great to see it remain civil. I enjoyed AC3 overall and like many, I was disappointed with how it ended. I thought the Desmond missions were awesome, but I think they could have done more such as assassinating Templars and making Daniel Cross more of a threat. Daniel Cross has a crazy history due to the comics and he is no pushover, but how they handled him was pretty bad in my opinion. It was so convenient to what they did when it came down to Desmond vs Daniel.

Some did not like the fight between Connor and Haytham, but I thought it was cool how they added in the whole "push Haytham into some barrels, boxes, and objects". I know that it can be seen as lame to some, but I prefer something like that instead of another fight like Ezio vs Rodrigo or Ezio vs Cesare. Speaking of fighting, I love the new combat system and I like that it takes more effort and time to take out people because the previous games were easy when it came to fighting. It makes Connor more vicious and brutal when he does the finishing blow and the animations are really cool.

I had no trouble navigating through the frontier at all and I found tree running straight forward. Running around the Grand Temple was no problem to me either because I like to explore like the above posts mentioned.

YuurHeen
12-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Read it all and it really hit some good points. I agree with most negative arguments except for the desmond ones. I think this game really comes down to taste so a debate is not really going to help anyone.

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 11:03 AM
a debate is not really going to help anyone.
A Civilized one gives hope at least...

Bit refreshing I`m sure

GoldyTart
12-25-2012, 11:21 AM
And this is why I feel like i shouldn't read Kotaku because it's not uniform and there are so many people with so many opinions. If I read the review of AC3 on Kotaku that states that the ending is literally terrible, and then later I read another news from the same source claiming that the ending was good, I would get confused and disorientated for a second.

SixKeys
12-25-2012, 02:22 PM
And this is why I feel like i shouldn't read Kotaku because it's not uniform and there are so many people with so many opinions. If I read the review of AC3 on Kotaku that states that the ending is literally terrible, and then later I read another news from the same source claiming that the ending was good, I would get confused and disorientated for a second.

Always remember that a review is just one person's opinion, no more and no less. Kotaku is not a professional review site, it's more casual which means they can return to the same game many times over after the initial review is done to discuss it further. Most review sites just do their review once and then toss the game aside. I like the fact that you can have multiple points of view from writers on the same site, it can result in exactly these kinds of interesting back-and-forths about the strengths and weaknesses of the game. What one reviewer sees as a negative point, another may see as positive. It's important that they can give good arguments for their views so the readers can decide for themselves what they enjoy in a game and how to approach it.

Aphex_Tim
12-25-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't like this Luke fella. Too nitpicky.