PDA

View Full Version : Some Use full information that perhaps NEEDS to go into a sticky thread.

Xendoshi
12-24-2012, 09:27 PM
ATTENTION:

To All New Uplay Members and to those who have been here:

I wanted to make aware of a solution for CRC Errors that seem to persist despite repetitive re-downloading.
This information is mainly for Cox Communication Customers.

I had been having constant errors trying to download and install Assassins Creed III.
After I submitted a ticket with ubisoft support, I did the following while waiting for a response:
I had thought that the error's might be because of a virus at first so I did a full scan with no results but then just to be thorough I
installed another anti virus and ran that, still clean. Then I ran a series of Memory tests and they came up clean.
Did a chkdsk came up clean so I was perplexed! I finally got a reply from ubisoft support, they want me to call them
directly.

The first Ubisoft CSR I talked to on the phone, informed me that Cox Communications might be blocking Uplay as the only port they use
is port 80. From there I did a chat session With a Cox Communications CSR and immediately the CSR sent me to a web page on their site.

"Ports Blocked or Restricted by Cox High Speed Internet" (http://ww2.cox.com/residential/middlegeorgia/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=cacf82f0-6407-11df-ccef-000000000000)

So I wasted all my time and bandwidth in vain. It was not my computer nor ubisofts fault, but the ISP.
I think that this information should be put in a sticky, for those of us who might be either new with uplay, new with Cox Communications,
Or those who might be thinking of switching to Cox Communication.

I have posted this in the Technical Help and Advice Forum as well as some people go their first.

I hope this might help some down the road.
Thank you for your time and attention and have a good day
Xendoshi

spectatorx
12-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Nobody can block ports 80 and 8080 because these are ports through which you are downloading and uploading data in services like web browsing. If they would block this port you would be unable to view webpages.

Anyway, did you fix your problem? If yes so how you did it?

Xendoshi
12-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Nobody can block ports 80 and 8080 because these are ports through which you are downloading and uploading data in services like web browsing. If they would block this port you would be unable to view webpages.

I forgot to add the link for the article, so now you can go read the article for yourself.
They only way I got it fixed was a refund. so I have to wait to get it as a DVD or Steam.

I personally think they might have black listed ubisoft, but I don't know for sure.
and I don't think they block it but I know for sure they restrict it heavily.

spectatorx
12-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Refund is not a fix xD Fix in your case was to get installer other way. For example borrow discs from someone who got the game or download .iso files in some alternative way.

Anyway i can't believe any isp could somehow restrict or block 80 and 8080 ports, this way their users would be unable to browse internet. Give me link to this article.

Xendoshi
12-24-2012, 10:49 PM
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/middlegeorgia/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=cacf82f0-6407-11df-ccef-000000000000

YazX_
12-24-2012, 11:58 PM

you are right , port 80 is the default port for web and if its blocked then he wont be able to browse anything, looking at his post i think Ubi representative meant that the only port that his ISP has it open is 80, and UPlay uses other ports than 80 and they got blocked by his ISP which caused him these problems.

Uplay ports:

TCP: 80, 443, 13000, 14000, 14008

Link:

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17490/p/88%2C2511

However, after reading the article you posted, i guess all ports are open except 80 has some filtering going on, i guess your ISP is blocking "Exe" files when downloading the game which leave it incomplete and thats why you are getting CRC error, so you should contact your ISP and DEMAND them to stop filtering port 80 for you, if they refused then get a refund and find a better ISP.