PDA

View Full Version : *Spoiler* Desmond and the Shard of Eden

evil9494
12-24-2012, 05:08 PM
*SPOILER* So in the time Desmond is still alive, he relives Connor's memories and finds the Shard of Eden. The Shard of Eden protects from harm, invisible shield and so on...
More info here : http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Shards_of_Eden
So through the bleeding effect, the effects of the Shard were transported onto Desmond. So I say 100% that he is alive. The shard protected him. I know he is not coming back in AC4 but just to share my opinion :)

P.S.: Juno explaining the shard 1:19 MIN;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7EO52BjHdqU#t=81 s

AjinkyaParuleka
12-24-2012, 05:14 PM
No one said Desmond ain't coming back in ACIV

BK-110
12-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I did think he likely survived. He may not return as the main character, but I still think he will play a major role.

EDIT: After reading the other posts... True, the Shard having an effect on Desmond doesn't make much sense. Still think he survived due to other reasons, though.

Rakudaton
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
While I think Desmond most likely survived, there is no way that's due to the shard. Come on, that makes no sense. The bleeding effect allows you to take on memories and skills of an ancestor -- it is nothing to do with gaining the abilities of ITEMS they once possessed. That's like Desmond being able to fly because Ezio once used a flying machine.

AjinkyaParuleka
12-24-2012, 06:28 PM
[quote=rakudaton;8823264. That's like desmond being able to fly because ezio once used a flying machine.[/quote]
lol

kuled2012
12-24-2012, 07:10 PM
They should have made Desmond be able to pet Shaun since it's from the bleeding effect.

Ruscris2
12-24-2012, 07:20 PM
I do believe Desmond survived, but not because of the Shard. I think Subject 16 saved him. Remember the glowing arm at the end of Revelations ? It was never explained in AC3. I think this somewhat protected him. Well, we'll have to wait for AC4 to find out.

Jexx21
12-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Desmond's arm sometimes glowed in AC3 also..

DemonLord4lf
12-24-2012, 08:33 PM
It did?

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 08:38 PM
it`s Lucy all over again -__-

DemonLord4lf
12-24-2012, 08:52 PM
it`s Lucy all over again -__-

Wait... you mean Desmond was really a templar! O_O

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Wait... you mean Desmond was really a templar! O_O
HA !!......Take that bit as you wish

InfectedNation
12-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Whoever write the trivia section on that wiki article was not using their brain. The shard's effect was not transported to Desmond whatsoever - IT'S A GLITCH, ISN'T THAT OBVIOUS?

OmegaRomik
12-25-2012, 08:56 AM
I thought the game makers said themslefs that this concludes the story of desmond.

Aphex_Tim
12-25-2012, 11:05 AM
That doesn't make any ******* sense.
The Shard that Connor finds averts metal. You see it first with mr. Faulkner's flask and later bullets from muskets. It also confirmed the legend of Captain Kidd not being able to get shot.
It doesn't "protect you from any harm" and it's abilities most certainly cannot be obtained through the bleeding effect.
Like someone above said, that would be like Desmond being able to fly because Ezio used Leonardo's flying machine.
The fact that Desmond has it during the Abstergo mission is indeed just a glitch.

pirate1802
12-25-2012, 11:09 AM
They should have made Desmond be able to pet Shaun since it's from the bleeding effect.

Roflmao hahahahhaah

Rakudaton
12-25-2012, 03:00 PM
I really feel like throttling someone when people bring up Desmond's magical special glowing arm...

He was sitting in the animus when it happened. Where was his arm? Oh yeah, right next to the animus readout panel on the chair's armrest. You know, the BIG BLUE GLOWING PANEL. Here's a thought: could that possibly -- just POSSIBLY -- have anything to do with the light on his arm?

Nah, couldn't be...

SixKeys
12-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I really feel like throttling someone when people bring up Desmond's magical special glowing arm...

He was sitting in the animus when it happened. Where was his arm? Oh yeah, right next to the animus readout panel on the chair's armrest. You know, the BIG BLUE GLOWING PANEL. Here's a thought: could that possibly -- just POSSIBLY -- have anything to do with the light on his arm?

Nah, couldn't be...

Most likely not, since we saw the same thing happen to Daniel Cross at Abstergo when neither of them were connected to the Animus.

she-assassin
12-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Most likely not, since we saw the same thing happen to Daniel Cross at Abstergo when neither of them were connected to the Animus.
This. Although, I still don't understand what exactly happened to Daniel. Was the yellow glow just a symptom of the Bleeding Effect?

Rakudaton
12-25-2012, 05:31 PM

Why would Desmond have a glowing arm? Why wouldn't he or anyone else in-game comment on it, or try and provide an explanation? Why would the developers throw in something like that that makes NO sense and for which there is no need? It has no impact on the plot, no consistency with the universe, no cause, no acknowledgement within universe... why on earth do people insist on this? It really is baffling.

As for Daniel Cross, I haven't noticed it myself. And considering all the people who confuse the light coming off the animus for a magic glowing arm, I find myself sceptical. Are you quite sure the glow -- if it's there -- isn't caused by, oh I don't know, some light source of some kind?

Whatever happens to Daniel, the glow on Desmond's arm was caused by the animus screen next to his arm. If you replay the end scene of Revelations it's pretty obvious. (I initially thought it was the glow from the Apple of Eden, but my second playthrough showed me that the BLUE light is from the BLUE screen right next to his arm.)

GunnarGunderson
12-25-2012, 06:07 PM
What about the Shroud?

AdrianJacek
12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Why would Desmond have a glowing arm? Why wouldn't he or anyone else in-game comment on it, or try and provide an explanation? Why would the developers throw in something like that that makes NO sense and for which there is no need? It has no impact on the plot, no consistency with the universe, no cause, no acknowledgement within universe... why on earth do people insist on this? It really is baffling.

As for Daniel Cross, I haven't noticed it myself. And considering all the people who confuse the light coming off the animus for a magic glowing arm, I find myself sceptical. Are you quite sure the glow -- if it's there -- isn't caused by, oh I don't know, some light source of some kind?

Whatever happens to Daniel, the glow on Desmond's arm was caused by the animus screen next to his arm. If you replay the end scene of Revelations it's pretty obvious. (I initially thought it was the glow from the Apple of Eden, but my second playthrough showed me that the BLUE light is from the BLUE screen right next to his arm.)
But what about the futuristic pattern?
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120121145022/assassinscreed/images/e/ef/Miles_van_2.png

Rakudaton
12-25-2012, 07:49 PM

The animus interface is one of the most futuristic things I've ever seen... just a thought.

Also, think about this: does Desmond look shocked? Nobody has ever said anything to him about glowing arms or anything like that. Wouldn't any normal person go "OHMYGOD WHYISMYARM DOING THAT???" Instead he looks at his arm and flexes it, as if to check "yes, I am back in my body and I'm real!". He then casually glances to the Apple. This suggests that, to him, the light is coming from a natural source -- aka the animus's screen.

dxsxhxcx
12-25-2012, 07:51 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120121145022/assassinscreed/images/e/ef/Miles_van_2.png

[SPOILERS - AC3]
IMO it's clearly not the blue panel, if you pay attention to that mission where we infiltrate Abstergo, when we use the apple on the guards they have the same pattern that appeared on Daniel's head when he had a bleeding effect episode, I think it was the apple who did that with Desmond's arm and Daniel's head, Altair once activated the apple by mistake with his rage and as a result Maria ended up killed, maybe this happened with Daniel as well.

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/1/16/AC3_Daniel_Cross_Bleeding_Effect.png

Poodle_of_Doom
12-25-2012, 09:24 PM
No one said Desmond ain't coming back in ACIV

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Dev's did....

gyigyo
12-25-2012, 09:28 PM
If Desmond back then AC already failed... devs said "Desmond story need to end" and for me im glad, i liked Desmond but if they continue with Desmond they will ruin the AC and Desmond too..

we need a new protagonist that all...

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Desmond is dead dammit.... God, you guys..

Yes he may reappear in some other form, but he`s DEAD OK ?? Clay is not in his Conscience and He did not fake it....he`s DEAD...that`s the entire point of the Eye. His spark releases Juno and saves the World, if he`s not dead then Juno wouldn't have been freed and the world would be burning...You know..Devs said it`s the end of his Story

she-assassin
12-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Dev's did....
Oh, because that changes everything, right? I still remember how the devs said that AC would be a trilogy. And how about all the answers we were promised to get in AC3? Yeah, the devs say a lot of things.

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 09:51 PM
And how about all the answers we were promised to get in AC3?
They never said that....

OmegaRomik
12-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I hope you play as you know who (last person you see in AC3's ending) in AC4 :).

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 10:57 PM
I hope you play as you know who (last person you see in AC3's ending) in AC4 :).
Desmond ? 0_o

:p

OmegaRomik
12-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Desmond ? 0_o

:p

HAHA! the other person right next to Desmond :). i dont know why play as that person but thats where my mind left off in AC3 :).

Assassin_M
12-25-2012, 11:13 PM
HAHA! the other person right next to Desmond :). i dont know why play as that person but thats where my mind left off in AC3 :).
We might....may be interesting, but I`d rather have someone totally new...new mysteries, weird stories..you know...start a fresh...

Also, you can say the name normally..Its a spoiler marked thread..it`s okay:p

Poodle_of_Doom
12-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Oh, because that changes everything, right? I still remember how the devs said that AC would be a trilogy. And how about all the answers we were promised to get in AC3? Yeah, the devs say a lot of things.

Actually, it does change everything. The entire idea here is that Desmond, as we currently understand and know him will be playable. That's not possible. As to your second point, please see below:

They never said that....

Thank you! I was going to say this, but you got there first.

GLHS
12-26-2012, 12:25 PM
To get back to this arm thing for a bit: It's clearly not the Animus lighting up his arm. First, there wouldn't be a pattern to it. If a light lights something up (a body part, for example), it normally just washes over it. Unless it's radiating from something that has a pattern. There is no pattern on the Animus screen, and even if there was, it would just wash over his arm. also, his entire arm, from at least his elbow(since that's all we can really see with his hoodie on), to his fingers is lit up. His fingers wouldn't be lit up, let alone have the patten. The light isn't that bright and doesn't cover that much of an area. The Apple is the real focus and gives away the answer anyhow. The Apple radiates along with his arm. They happen simultaneously. The Apple never lights up unless it's communicating with TWCB genes. The Apple is communing with Desmond, and his connection with his TWCB genes is now stronger b/c he found the Nexus, woke up, and is also closer to the Temple. All that scene is showing is that he's fully connected with his TWCB genes, and that he wakes up knowing his mission.

I don't really have much to say about this Shard of Eden thing though. Honestly, the theory is a stretch at best, and seems like it's grasping at straws. I know a lot of us, myself included, would be happy seeing Dez live, but I don't see that happening. If it does, cool, but even if it does, I don't see the Shard having anything to do with it. As has been said, the bleeding effect doesn't cover abilities from objects. It's abilities and traits learned from ancestors. Just b/c a POE is used by the ancestor, doesn't mean it's power is transferred to the Animus user.

MasterSimaYi
12-26-2012, 08:02 PM
FYI I don't know why the Wiki article mentioned that the Shard's effects were transposed onto Desmond, but I removed it due to it being speculation. The effects the Shard has can be seen working on Desmond at the Abstergo facility, but only if the player has previously obtained it. This is possibly just a bug or glitch. There is no canonical explanation for how the effects of a Piece of Eden would be transposed onto a person, via the Bleeding Effect. If that was possible, Desmond should've possessed all the powers the Apples of Eden had too since his ancestors were so fond of wielding them.

And I'm sure somebody here already mentioned it before, but the second edition of the Encyclopedia confirms that Desmond be dead.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-27-2012, 04:40 AM
And I'm sure somebody here already mentioned it before, but the second edition of the Encyclopedia confirms that Desmond be dead.

I don't know that they have actually, and I didn't know that. So, thanks for posting it.

Wakener
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
From what I've read--like in the strat guide--Desmond's body is a charred ruin. On the other hand, he was interacting with the interface point of a great machine whose sole purpose was to download and store consciousnesses. Hm.

Poodle_of_Doom
01-01-2013, 06:46 PM
From what I've read--like in the strat guide--Desmond's body is a charred ruin. On the other hand, he was interacting with the interface point of a great machine whose sole purpose was to download and store consciousnesses. Hm.

Like was said before.... it's Lucy all over again.

playassassins1
01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
People should just get over Desmond... Like many people said though, we didn't have a proper goodbye with him.
I still hope he's coming back in future games, or at least mentioned.

Poodle_of_Doom
01-02-2013, 04:11 AM
People should just get over Desmond... Like many people said though, we didn't have a proper goodbye with him.
I still hope he's coming back in future games, or at least mentioned.

Perhaps the beginning of the next game will give us our goodbye? Let's hope, because it will be the only saving grace of the franchise as it is in it's current state.

hood3dassassin5
07-13-2014, 05:11 AM
What ever happened to the Apple of Eden? If Abstergo had it then it would be with the evidence.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 05:22 AM
welcome to the forums :o

Aphex_Tim
07-13-2014, 08:04 AM
You mean at the end of AC3? I assume Bill, Shaun and Rebecca still have it.

Poodle_of_Doom
07-13-2014, 07:47 PM
You mean at the end of AC3? I assume Bill, Shaun and Rebecca still have it.

Well, last we know, they did. Did they need it for something going into their vault? If not, the last place we saw it was in the van. They used that to make a getaway after Desmonds death. That said, who knows where they went from there. Probably to their HQ to report in.

Moultonborough
07-13-2014, 11:56 PM
What ever happened to the Apple of Eden? If Abstergo had it then it would be with the evidence.

I'm sure the Assassins still have it. The Apple wouldn't do too much for the Templars anyways. They had to cancel the EyeAbstergo launch because they never got their hands on it thanks to Desmond.

PS. Welcome to the forums but try not to necro so old threads. ;)

hood3dassassin5
07-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Ok thanks

steveeire
07-27-2015, 02:22 AM
lol this thread.

Sorrosyss
07-27-2015, 01:11 PM
His body is physically dead. So the shard did nothing. But he is apparently in the Grey, so maybe it did something. But I think returning to his body is a negative at this point.

steveeire
07-27-2015, 03:37 PM
They could revive his body with some piece of Eden we haven't seen yet or they could clone him, we need Desmond/ Nolan North back.