PDA

View Full Version : A short letter to Ubi about the frustration of being an AC-fan

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Dear Ubi,

When I finished AC1 I thought it was the most wasted potential I had ever experienced in gaming. Beautiful climbable world, super cool protagonist, awesome animations, intriguing story, but also gameplay that was really mediocre and a repetetive mission design that dragged the experience down. I thought it was a rough diamond and if Ubi could just fix the basic flaws they could make the most amazing game ever.

Five years later and my feelings are pretty much the same, allthough now I'm getting a bit more frustrated. Ubi has not yet been able to fix the core elements of the game. Combat is still too shallow, freerunning is automatic and unprecise, stealth is held back by the dumb AI and fiddly controls, horse riding is clumpsy. Yes all these elements are better than ever in AC3, but they are not anywhere near what they should be and they are way behind the competition in the action/adventure genre. Mission design is actually worse. Freedom has been taken away and now many missions are about getting from point A to B, press a button to interact and watch a cutscene.

It makes me so sad, because this franchise has so much potential. But instead of fixing the core Ubi seems determined to just add more and more fluff on top. Instead of fixing the gameplay (the most important element of a game) they focus on story and cinematography. They seem to spend a zillion dollars on historical accuracy and a few cents on making the bow function properly (which it doesn't). In many ways Ubi-Montreal is the most ambitious team in all of gaming and yet when it comes to gameplay they again and again settle for mediocrity.

Please Ubi, as a diehard fan, I beg you to reconsider and shift focus. For your next game please focus on getting the gameplay right. Make it finally as fun to play AC as it is to watch AC! And when it comes to mission design, give me liberty or give me death!

Sincerely,

Your Loyal (but slightly frustrated) Fan :cool:!

assassino_io
12-23-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm with you on this one. ACII and Brotherhood were rich in gameplay but with ACIII they seem to have gone backwards.

RinoTheBouncer
12-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I love what you said. I totally agree!I believe they should keep on spending gazillions of dollars on graphics, cutscenes and stories but spend the same on gameplay. My PS3 works perfectly with every other game except for AC, when I play for like 5 hours the game keeps lagging, the loading screen stops until I turn the PS3 on n off, sound disappears all of a sudden and game freezes and horse riding is the worst part of the game specially in ACIII that I started walking 1000's instead of riding horses cause it's frustrating, even running gets laggy as well, A LOT!

I'm sure they're running surveys, lurking through forums and reading people's thoughts to improve and I hope they realize that glitches and bugs DESTROY the gaming experience also when one wants to design a shrub or small trees, they don't make them like two perpendicularly intersecting plates that have a tree texture and no bump mapping, I guess we were over such graphical catastrophes since PSone games.I hope in the future, they make perfect games like Revelations, Brotherhood and AC2 with a great story like AC:R and AC:III and beautiful cinematography and details like AC3 and the past series not just let the franchise die because by taking fans love for granted.

i WiLL aM
12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Got to be one of the best complaints(?) to Ubi that I've seen, you have some very fair points there! I completely agree with you about the horses in AC3, they've got to be one of the few things that I don't like - I always end up free running instead of riding if I have the choice. It's also hard to believe that they can make awesome cut scenes and cinematics, yet they didn't realise that the bow, one of the main weapons in the game, didn't function properly? Seems strange, but I'm not really complaining as they are just little niggles in an otherwise amazing game.

Jexx21
12-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Seriously, mail your letters to them instead of putting them on forums. -_-

ProletariatPleb
12-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Agree with everything he said. AC is losing focus, and I blame Ezio!

TheHumanTowel
12-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Copy-pasting my reply in the feed-back thread because this ****'s important yo

While I sort of disagree on some points (like the gameplay being mediocre) I completely agree Ubi needs to stop bloating their AC games with unnecessary features and focus on the core gameplay again. In AC3 Ubisoft sacrificed the thrill of executing a carefully planned out assassination for scripted cinematic moments. Mission design has changed to add so much variety you barely spend anytime actually planning or working toward assassinating people. When I'm playing Assassin's Creed, I'm not looking for over 20 missions where I do chores for my neighbours, I want to act like an ASSASSIN. So please Ubi, shift the focus back on planning and executing assassinations and less on fluff.

Slayer_WTF
12-23-2012, 10:10 PM
When I'm playing Assassin's Creed, I'm not looking for over 20 missions where I do chores for my neighbours, I want to act like an ASSASSIN. So please Ubi, shift the focus back on planning and executing assassinations and less on fluff.

This.

This.

This.

This.

ShrunkLawyer0
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
yes thank you i dont want to have to help homesteaders to get better gear

DTfunjumper
12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Exactly what i was tjinking, all of the added ideas as well! I just didn't know how to express myself, but reading it actually just says what i've been feeling!

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 10:29 PM
I love what you said. I totally agree!I believe they should keep on spending gazillions of dollars on graphics, cutscenes and stories but spend the same on gameplay. My PS3 works perfectly with every other game except for AC, when I play for like 5 hours the game keeps lagging, the loading screen stops until I turn the PS3 on n off, sound disappears all of a sudden and game freezes and horse riding is the worst part of the game specially in ACIII that I started walking 1000's instead of riding horses cause it's frustrating, even running gets laggy as well, A LOT!

I'm sure they're running surveys, lurking through forums and reading people's thoughts to improve and I hope they realize that glitches and bugs DESTROY the gaming experience also when one wants to design a shrub or small trees, they don't make them like two perpendicularly intersecting plates that have a tree texture and no bump mapping, I guess we were over such graphical catastrophes since PSone games.I hope in the future, they make perfect games like Revelations, Brotherhood and AC2 with a great story like AC:R and AC:III and beautiful cinematography and details like AC3 and the past series not just let the franchise die because by taking fans love for granted.

Bugs is def a problem caused by the lack of focus. There are more systems than ubi is capable of managing and quality control.

Assassin_M
12-23-2012, 10:30 PM
While I disagree with some points, I agree with most and this is a great letter...

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Copy-pasting my reply in the feed-back thread because this ****'s important yo

While I sort of disagree on some points (like the gameplay being mediocre) I completely agree Ubi needs to stop bloating their AC games with unnecessary features and focus on the core gameplay again. In AC3 Ubisoft sacrificed the thrill of executing a carefully planned out assassination for scripted cinematic moments. Mission design has changed to add so much variety you barely spend anytime actually planning or working toward assassinating people. When I'm playing Assassin's Creed, I'm not looking for over 20 missions where I do chores for my neighbours, I want to act like an ASSASSIN. So please Ubi, shift the focus back on planning and executing assassinations and less on fluff.

Depends a little bit of how you interpret the word "mediocre". To me it doesn't mean "terrible", but more like average, or slightly below average. I believe that is a fair description of the gameplay in AC given the current state in the industry. But I feel given the kind of money Ubi pumps into this franchise the gameplay should be worldclass.

That said I think you are correct that my post focused too much on mechanics, when mission design is an even bigger problem. With the level the gameplay is at, it would have been possible to build a much stonger campaign and more interesting sidemissions.

LoyalACFan
12-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I kind of disagree about the free-running (it's no more "automatic" than previous games, it just frees up your thumb) but I'm totally with you on the need to refocus. And I know exactly where that focus needs to be placed; ASSASSINATIONS. We are Assassins, after all... Remember in the first two games, when the entire sequence was entirely engrossed by the upcoming assassination? That's how AC is supposed to feel. Ever since then, our targets have been lame, cardboard cutout villains who only appeared for a mission or two before dying. AC III took a step in the right direction by giving the targets a bit of development (and having the best death speeches of the series) but still, most of the targets just felt like collateral damage. Johnson was the only one who came close to the old-style assassinations. You spent a whole sequence trying to stop his schemes, then went in for the kill. The assassination mission was still too linear, but you get the idea.

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 10:42 PM
While I disagree with some points, I agree with most and this is a great letter...

Thanks, means a lot coming from a hardcore fan like you :D! I want to stress that the reason I took the time to write this is bacause I LOVE this franchise. I wish more than anything that it finally reached the fantastic potential we all saw in AC1.

LoyalACFan
12-23-2012, 10:44 PM
When I'm playing Assassin's Creed, I'm not looking for over 20 missions where I do chores for my neighbours, I want to act like an ASSASSIN. So please Ubi, shift the focus back on planning and executing assassinations and less on fluff.

While I agree that a lot of the Homestead missions were lacking in substance, I think it suited Connor's character as a more reluctant, kindhearted Assassin than Ezio or Altair. I enjoyed them overall.

Slayer_WTF
12-23-2012, 10:46 PM
This is the reason because i love AC1. And get back the letters, which were removed after AC2.

Assassin_M
12-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks, means a lot coming from a hardcore fan like you :D! I want to stress that the reason I took the time to write this is bacause I LOVE this franchise. I wish more than anything that it finally reached the fantastic potential we all saw in AC1.
I`m humbled:p

But yeah, I`m sure you want this franchise to be better. You stayed and you intend to stay. No matter how much we criticize, we all want it better. We`re sincere in our wishes and I`m certain you are too.

I long for the day where they`ll finally return to the basics and freedom of AC I with the Beauty of AC II and the complexity of AC III:D

Only thing I disagree with is the Homestead :p I thought that while it may seem unnecessary to you, I believe it`s what makes AC III different. It shows the human side of the Assassin Protagonist.

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 10:47 PM
I kind of disagree about the free-running (it's no more "automatic" than previous games, it just frees up your thumb) but I'm totally with you on the need to refocus. And I know exactly where that focus needs to be placed; ASSASSINATIONS. We are Assassins, after all... Remember in the first two games, when the entire sequence was entirely engrossed by the upcoming assassination? That's how AC is supposed to feel. Ever since then, our targets have been lame, cardboard cutout villains who only appeared for a mission or two before dying. AC III took a step in the right direction by giving the targets a bit of development (and having the best death speeches of the series) but still, most of the targets just felt like collateral damage. Johnson was the only one who came close to the old-style assassinations. You spent a whole sequence trying to stop his schemes, then went in for the kill. The assassination mission was still too linear, but you get the idea.

If you look carefully I actually wrote that I thought all gameplay mechanics (including freerunning) improved in AC3 :). But you are right that of the core mechanics the freerunning is relatively much better than the others. It's honestly pretty great.

The focus should def be Assassinations!

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I`m humbled:p

But yeah, I`m sure you want this franchise to be better. You stayed and you intend to stay. No matter how much we criticize, we all want it better. We`re sincere in our wishes and I`m certain you are too.

I long for the day where they`ll finally return to the basics and freedom of AC I with the Beauty of AC II and the complexity of AC III:D

Only thing I disagree with is the Homestead :p I thought that while it may seem unnecessary to you, I believe it`s what makes AC III different. It shows the human side of the Assassin Protagonist.

Exactly, we are all pretty nuts to be here year in and year out :)!

Homestead was okayish and I don't mind one or two none assassin related actvities. It did develop Connors character. But the gameplay was not that much to cher about. Go here press a button, go there press a button, face a bear press six buttons and so on.

TheHumanTowel
12-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Agree completely. The assassinations kind of seemed like an afterthought. The Hickey assassination is the most guilty of feeling this way. There's no planning, no strategy involved, no actual utilising of your skills as an assassin, no real build up to the kill, you just run after him when you're told to. There were too many scripted kills in AC3. It's a shame because as you said the targets in AC3 were great characters and their deaths could have had more emphasis.

Assassin_M
12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Exactly, we are all pretty nuts to be here year in and year out :P! Homestead was okayish and I don't mind one or two none assassin related actvities. It did develop Connors character. But the gameplay was not that much to cher about. Go here press a button, go there press a button, face a bear press six buttons and so on.
To be honest, Homesteading was not supposed to have a THRILLING mission structure, but in regards to the bear fights, then I definitely agree, because the current system of QTEs just makes it tedious and uninspired. had they retained the QTE system seen in the E3 Demo, it would`v been so much better. I mean it`s still QTE, but..you get the idea

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 11:24 PM
To be honest, Homesteading was not supposed to have a THRILLING mission structure, but in regards to the bear fights, then I definitely agree, because the current system of QTEs just makes it tedious and uninspired. had they retained the QTE system seen in the E3 Demo, it would`v been so much better. I mean it`s still QTE, but..you get the idea

I think I'm a little bit different than most AC-fans because I'm a gamer first and someone who likes stories second. I'm a sucker for great gameplay :). I agree with you that the point of the Homestead is not gameplay, but expanding the world and Connors character. I don't hate it but to me the gameplay always comes first. I totally respect if someone feels the other way, or think both are equally important. Personally though I want a shift of focus from story to gameplay (ofc there should still be a story, but not as dominant. The story should adjust to the gameplay, not the other way around imo).

Assassin_M
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
I think I'm a little bit different than most AC-fans because I'm a gamer first and someone who likes stories second. I'm a sucker for great gameplay :). I agree with you that the point of the Homestead is not gameplay, but expanding the world and Connors character. I don't hate it but to me the gameplay always comes first. I totally respect if someone feels the other way, or think both are equally important. Personally though I want a shift of focus from story to gameplay (ofc there should still be a story, but not as dominant. The story should adjust to the gameplay, not the other way around imo).
You want Assassin Gameplay to be the focus and not get diluted by other Side distractions...I can understand that..

But how about both ?? I mean surely they CAN make a compelling Assassin experience and keep the marvels of fleshing a character out right ??

VitaminsXYZ
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Probably one of the better complaint/critique threads I've seen. For one it's well-thought out and written nicely, and not just "AC3 **** sucked how'd this POS get released **@%#(*@!!" Those are hard to take seriously.

Anyways, I definitely agree that there should be better assassination missions, and not just for the main villains either. I remember the assassination contracts involved you basically running up to some poor unnamed guy marked on the map and axing him to death in the middle of the street. You could walk right in front of him, too, and most of the time he wouldn't even notice you.

Agree with M though, I loved the Homestead missions. I liked that feeling of building up your own community, and how even though most of them were outcasts they could still be brought together by the king of misfits himself and be this great big family. That's why I didn't really mind the missions being easy, not that the overall gameplay for AC has ever been hard anyways. (And if they made these Homestead missions harder I'm sure we'd be hearing other complaints, too.) It also offered some hilarious interactions and was a nice break away from the much darker tones that AC3 has. Connor's life would be awfully empty without those people...

But that's just me personally, and I understand that not everyone will enjoy those. I think they just need to find a balance between having these carefree side missions, and actual assassination missions. I don't think gameplay needs to go first and story second, or vice versa; they can definitely go hand-in-hand as well. It would be much harder to achieve, yes, but one element doesn't necessarily need to get lowered for the other. ;)

Slayer_WTF
12-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I understand how it is for you. You want Assassin Gameplay to be the focus and not get diluted by other Side distractions...I can understand that..

Or maybe, side quest that consist in assassination missions ( something more complex than assassination mission of AC2 and BH ) or missions for the Assassins Order.

Assassin_M
12-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Or maybe, side quest that consist in assassination missions ( something more complex than assassination mission of AC2 and BH ) or missions for the Assassins Order.
Not everything should just be "HURR DURR SLASH DASH KILL KILL STAB" Nothing wrong with a change of pace i.e Homestead.

The right thing would be working on the Assassination side missions. those were VERY poorly done. These need more context and meaning. It`s just a random person in the street telling you to kill another random person in the street. Hell he does not even tell you anything.

A remedy for these would be to actually make the Assassinations given by a person you know, have the Assassinations put you in a situation (Not just someone walking randomly) and have Investigations for those missions..

TheHumanTowel
12-23-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't mind side-content that's not completely related to being an assassin. Stuff like building up Monteriggioni I really enjoyed. It's just that kind of side-content has completely over-shadowed the assassin side-missions. Look at the time and effort put into the Homestead and naval missions and then look at the side assassination missions we get. It's clear where their priorities were. Coupled with the story missions becoming more about cinematic moments and less about level design and it's sometimes hard to feel like an assassin in this game.

Assassin_M
12-23-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't mind side-content that's not completely related to being an assassin. Stuff like building up Monteriggioni I really enjoyed. It's just that kind of side-content has completely over-shadowed the assassin side-missions. Look at the time and effort put into the Homestead and naval missions and then look at the side assassination missions we get. It's clear where their priorities were. Coupled with the story missions becoming more about cinematic moments and less about level design and it's sometimes hard to feel like an assassin in this game.
Basically this..and I can relate

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 11:38 PM
You want Assassin Gameplay to be the focus and not get diluted by other Side distractions...I can understand that..

But how about both ?? I mean surely they CAN make a compelling Assassin experience and keep the marvels of fleshing a character out right ??

Maybe they can, but it is hard. A good story in say a book or movie has a ton less action than a game built around gameplay. I mean Connor needs to kill a truckload of people if you are doing assassinations for the majority of the 25h campaign (as indeed Altair and Ezio did in 1&2). To me that is worth it, even though the story might suffer.

Slayer_WTF
12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Not everything should just be "HURR DURR SLASH DASH KILL KILL STAB" Nothing wrong with a change of pace i.e Homestead.

The right thing would be working on the Assassination side missions. those were VERY poorly done. These need more context and meaning. It`s just a random person in the street telling you to kill another random person in the street. Hell he does not even tell you anything.

A remedy for these would be to actually make the Assassinations given by a person you know, have the Assassinations put you in a situation (Not just someone walking randomly) and have Investigations for those missions..

Yeah of course. I do not like to kill and nothing else. Maybe spy missions that are to steal, follow or infiltrate in certain places.

PS. Assassin_M, I missed your posts. It's nice to come back to after time on this forum. LOL

ToughGuy31
12-23-2012, 11:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzuNIokrJZw&list=PL8CE187A48D46E0A0

Slayer_WTF
12-23-2012, 11:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzuNIokrJZw&list=PL8CE187A48D46E0A0

What t..?

Assassin_M
12-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Maybe they can, but it is hard. A good story in say a book or movie has a ton less action than a game built around gameplay. I mean Connor needs to kill a truckload of people if you are doing assassinations for the majority of the 25h campaign (as indeed Altair and Ezio did in 1&2). To me that is worth it, even though the story might suffer.
The Problem is not in the amount of Assassinations. AC III has 11 Assassinations, i`d say that`s VERY good. It`s the way they were designed. The Silas Assassination Sequence was great. It had actual Investigation (Although a bit linear) and more than one way to kill him.

Other Assassinations like Hickey`s show wasted potential in choice of design.

Assassin_M
12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah of course. I do not like to kill and nothing else. Maybe spy missions that are to steal, follow or infiltrate in certain places.

PS. Assassin_M, I missed your posts. It's nice to come back to after time on this forum. LOL
Awwww thanks:p

Welcome back, man:D

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Probably one of the better complaint/critique threads I've seen. For one it's well-thought out and written nicely, and not just "AC3 **** sucked how'd this POS get released **@%#(*@!!" Those are hard to take seriously.

Anyways, I definitely agree that there should be better assassination missions, and not just for the main villains either. I remember the assassination contracts involved you basically running up to some poor unnamed guy marked on the map and axing him to death in the middle of the street. You could walk right in front of him, too, and most of the time he wouldn't even notice you.

Agree with M though, I loved the Homestead missions. I liked that feeling of building up your own community, and how even though most of them were outcasts they could still be brought together by the king of misfits himself and be this great big family. That's why I didn't really mind the missions being easy, not that the overall gameplay for AC has ever been hard anyways. (And if they made these Homestead missions harder I'm sure we'd be hearing other complaints, too.) It also offered some hilarious interactions and was a nice break away from the much darker tones that AC3 has. Connor's life would be awfully empty without those people...

But that's just me personally, and I understand that not everyone will enjoy those. I think they just need to find a balance between having these carefree side missions, and actual assassination missions. I don't think gameplay needs to go first and story second, or vice versa; they can definitely go hand-in-hand as well. It would be much harder to achieve, yes, but one element doesn't necessarily need to get lowered for the other. ;)

Thank you! Even though I didn't think the Homstead missions were that great I didn't hate them either. I have a much bigger problem with all the fluff in the campaign. That sakd, if cutting Homestead would have made it possible to add well developed side assassination missions I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sushiglutton
12-23-2012, 11:51 PM
The Problem is not in the amount of Assassinations. AC III has 9 Assassinations, i`d say that`s VERY good. It`s the way they were designed. The Silas Assassination Sequence was great. It had actual Investigation (Although a bit linear) and more than one way to kill him.

Other Assassinations like Hickey`s show wasted potential in choice of design.

13, really? Wow I would have guessed like five, but I have no doubt you are correct. I guess it's because most of them don't feel like assassinations. Ok i have to rethink that then. You are correct that it's not the number of targets that's the problem then.

ToughGuy31
12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
What t..?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL8CE187A48D46E0A0&feature=player_detailpage&v=CJ3LxEAyhmU#t=22s

Slayer_WTF
12-23-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm laughing like a madman.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 12:00 AM
13, really? Wow I would have guessed like five, but I have no doubt you are correct. I guess it's because most of them don't feel like assassinations. Ok i have to rethink that then. You are correct that it's not the number of targets that's the problem then.
Correction correction damm it xD It`s 10
sorry, man

Miko
Silas
Braddock
Johnson`s Thug
William Johnson
John Pitcairn
Thomas Hickey
Thomas Biddle
Benjamin Church
Haytham Kenway
Charles Lee

Crap that`s 11 :|

Still a pretty decent number

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm laughing like a madman.
Than my work here is done.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Come to think of it.....Mills can also be considered an Assassination Target. There was an Investigation Prior to their Sword fight....so that`s 12

God, I`m an Idiot :|

MT4K
12-24-2012, 12:25 AM
I wasn't fond of 1 single assassination mission in AC3. When you compare the assassinations you did in AC1 and AC2...All of AC3's felt very restricted and not even really like you assassinated anybody. The Johnson and Pitcairn assassinations are the best in AC3 and even those are too restrictive to be much fun.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 12:28 AM
I wasn't fond of 1 single assassination mission in AC3. When you compare the assassinations you did in AC1 and AC2...All of AC3's felt very restricted and not even really like you assassinated anybody. The Johnson and Pitcairn assassinations are the best in AC3 and even those are too restrictive to be much fun.
I forgot about Kanen'tó:kon as well...

So Yes, 13:p

I agree that Pitcarin and Johnson were nothing compared to AC I`s, but I certainly enjoyed each more than any of the Assassinations in AC II

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Yes we need more freedom, not less. I was really confused why a game about freedom doesn't let you do what you want.

Elite_scam
12-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Assassin's creed is going downhill in almost every aspect. The Things that are handled better in ac3 than in previous ac games is because of their bigger budget. My conclusion? Money corrupts.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Assassin's creed is going downhill in almost every aspect.
Not for me, I`m afraid...

Jexx21
12-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Assassin's creed is going downhill in almost every aspect. The Things that are handled better in ac3 than in previous ac games is because of their bigger budget. My conclusion? Money corrupts.
someone has you by the balls

MT4K
12-24-2012, 12:54 AM
I forgot about Kanen'tó:kon as well...

So Yes, 13:p

I agree that Pitcarin and Johnson were nothing compared to AC I`s, but I certainly enjoyed each more than any of the Assassinations in AC II

My main problem is that there's like only 1 single way to do almost every mission in AC3 if you want 100% sync. There's only 1 way to get Pitcairn if you want that 100% sync. Same for Johnson really. At least some of them in AC2 you could full sync and still do some of them more than 1 way. Granted AC2 had some restrictiveness as well. Nothing comes close to AC1 so far in regards to assassinations.

If they are going to put a restraint on an assassination target of say "air assassinate" at least give me multiple ways to achieve it. Not make me have to literally follow a single and predestined path. They could have had Pitcarin move about the camp and gave you an option to use a tree somewhere else or even give you the chance to do something like the air assassination from that old trailer where he jumps off a rock and assassinates.

Dosenwabe
12-24-2012, 12:55 AM
I really really hope so much Ubi just ignores these annoying complainers. So ungrateful and ignorant. I try to ignore them but you're all really pissing me off! Well I just can hope they try to ignore you too.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 12:56 AM
My main problem is that there's like only 1 single way to do almost every mission in AC3 if you want 100% sync. There's only 1 way to get Pitcairn if you want that 100% sync. Same for Johnson really. At least some of them in AC2 you could full sync and still do some of them more than 1 way. Granted AC2 had some restrictiveness as well. Nothing comes close to AC1 so far in regards to assassinations.

If they are going to put a restraint on an assassination target of say "air assassinate" at least give me multiple ways to achieve it. Not make me have to literally follow a single and predestined path. They could have had Pitcarin move about the camp and gave you an option to use a tree somewhere else or even give you the chance to do something like the air assassination from that old trailer where he jumps off a rock and assassinates.
You`re one of those "failing 100% hurts my feelings" ?:p

Also, AC II had no 100% Sync...

Jexx21
12-24-2012, 12:57 AM
They really need to change up the 100% sync system.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 12:57 AM
I really really hope so much Ubi just ignores these annoying complainers. So ungrateful and ignorant. I try to ignore them but you're all really pissing me off! Well I just can hope they try to ignore you too.
You`ll probably be lectured by someone....

vZ POiSoN vZ
12-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Ok now I loved AC3. I did. Even though it was fairly simple, I loved how efficient and brutal the combat was. I loved the story from a strictly story telling standpoint. The missions were alright too. I loved the battle missions particularly. BUT I one million percent agree that the assassination missions, both side and main, were....very....underwhelming. I miss the intelligence gathering, the open ended nature, I loved just being told:"Here is your target. He did this, this, this and this. Go find out everything you can on him. Kill him. Figure it out." You are then given a huge open ended nature to kill him in the way you choose and stealth was much more accessible and in depth. I miss having multiple not so obvious paths to choose, or heck, with some creativity you could create your own paths back in AC1 with some missions. I mean. The best assassination missions in AC3 IMO were Pitcairn, which gave some very slight mobility but Cmon...a line of bushes leading to a branch to air assassinate? Weak. And Johnson, because I liked sneaking to the house and killing him but again, it was very weak, especially compared to the older ones. So i believe in the next one, assassination missions as a whole should become a higher focus.

The side assassination missions? I just wish some context was taken. But it is simply, just a mark over some random guy who doesn't even care you exist. Just walk up and stab "/

So in the next game, if assassination missions were expanded upon again, id be happy :)

MT4K
12-24-2012, 12:59 AM
You`re one of those "failing 100% hurts my feelings" ?:p

Also, AC II had no 100% Sync...

Ok you're right about that i'm mixing ac2 with acb a little..

100% sync doesn't upset me if i fail it. They really wasn't that hard anyway to be honest. I just don't like being restricted in what i can do. Take the optional objectives from an earlier mission to disable cannons... Much more interesting and less restrictive to the overall mission.

I just want more than 1 way to achieve things. Especially when it comes to assassination targets.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Ok you're right about that i'm mixing ac2 with acb a little..

100% sync doesn't upset me if i fail it. They really wasn't that hard anyway to be honest. I just don't like being restricted in what i can do. Take the optional objectives from an earlier mission to disable cannons... Much more interesting and less restrictive to the overall mission.

I just want more than 1 way to achieve things.
Ah sounds much better. Thank You for clarifying and I agree the whole system needs some work and the potential for it to be better is there. Sabotaging cannons in the fort, Optional killing of a General during the slave rescue...The Potential for a better change is there..

cj-united
12-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Your assessment of ACI is entirely in line with my own view.

As for free-running and combat - ACIII is the first installment where we have seen noteworthy improvements to these aspects of the game. They are the apparatus which each installment is built around, (particularly free-running), thus engrained and difficult to overhaul entirely without setting game development back a long way. I thought that new animations this year looked particularly good. Neither are perfect, but are moving in the right direction.

Your next point I am unclear on. You despairingly refer to the precedence of historical accuracy and cinematography in Assassin's Creed, while citing a glitch I am unfamiliar with as proof of general oversights towards gameplay. I am not here to excuse glitches or errors on behalf of Ubisoft but it is probably worth remembering the size of this game, and that no game of its scope is going to release without some issues.

I don't need to say (considering those who will read this) what the use of cinematography and sparing historical touches have meant for this series. It is what elevates it above the rest.

It ultimately boils down to differences in opinion of how much game installments should retain of their predecessors and to what extent they move on. Many here seem to herald a more authentic mission structure for assassinating targets in ACI. Yet, and as OP mentioned, the game was far too repetitive for its own good. What are the sollutions?

Also, I entirely refute the "linear" argument that some here have used. I would argue that the benefits to pacing and general story-telling seen in the more set-piece type missions outweigh the need to approach a target in a different way in each mission. Fort missions this year were a lot of fun for the traditional assassin enthusiast - and, though I agree that we need more (assassination side missions do need an overhaul), these are opportunities which exist for gamers. There is also something to be said, as we are supposed to be in an animus recalling ancestral memories, that there are times where the more narrative style gameplay/cutscenes are necessary. The 'set-piece' areas to the most significant memories mean devs can develop characters in a specific way. As a loose example, the nature of a kill will reflect that person's character. Note 100% synchronisation option as evidence of this.

Forgive my glibness OP, as I am sure that your original bow comment was only an offhand example, but it seemed like point of interest for a gameplay/storyline illustration.

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 06:11 AM
In terms of story, yes they are going down hill. In terms of gameplay, they're going uphill. And the gameplay is what matters the most. The problem is that they're putting to much emphasis on the story, that it became to liniar. The story is great, and they should continue to put a huge amount of focus on it, but don't let it mess up the gameplay. Again, the games are fun, but I love 1 only becuase it gave us the freedom to kill how we want.

exkrima
12-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi guys Ac fan here,
I actually like the homestead mission, IMO, rather than buying it out of nowhere, there is an extra story to look for, other things that i like in this game:
-new style of free run/tree climbing/mountain climb
-weapon play/2 hand weapon
-new form of assassination and brutal kills
-improve crafting(rather than bombs in ACR)
-desmond missions(wonder if theres more of desmond)
-new counter system
-naval battle(aye!)
-assassin recruit with their own story(not the same as ACB and ACR)
- new hide spots (moving/wall standing/corner/sit on the box/fields) <- just want to ask if you sheathe the axe is it normal that the hidden blade is the one being used while killing in the corner instead of the axe?
- window or door portal(don't know what it is, but when you enter the door you ended up in the other side of the house)
-health( same as ac1 no potion needed)
-improved paper collectibles
-improved graphics

What i find annoying are bugs and
- killing streak( i liked it tbh, but when someone break the streak it annoys me a lot, i still like the kill streak of AC:B)
-npc pop up out of nowhere
-no hidden guns
-maps are not updated
-move/cutscene/move/cutscene
-no freedom for the art of killing(assassinate)<- how I wish i can kill the target, the way i want without desynchronizing..(i kinda like to do the same thing connor did in the trailer)

About the Story its kinda mix, its good but not bad, I like this more than Revelation though. If only desmond, clay, lucy and daniel reunite inside the animus that would be awesome. anyway its just my opinion.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 07:53 AM
If only desmond, clay, lucy and daniel reunite inside the animus that would be awesome.
That`d be the most random thing ever.....In a weird way

exkrima
12-24-2012, 07:59 AM
That`d be the most random thing ever.....In a weird way
yea, i know, but i kind of hoping that most of the real cast goes back. without changing their faces again.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 08:06 AM
yea, i know, but i kind of hoping that most of the real cast goes back. without changing their faces again.
You`re going to be disappointed then..

exkrima
12-24-2012, 08:16 AM
You`re going to be disappointed then..
i don't mind, as long as they give a good follow up after this story.:)

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 08:18 AM
i don't mind, as long as they give a good follow up after this story.:)
Agreed very much...I hope so too