PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or.....

L3377MA573R
12-21-2012, 10:13 PM
......are the controls (at least for movement) in Assassin's Creed III the worst the series have ever seen?

I mean, aggressive magnetism can be a lifesaver if you have a completely linear path to travel on, but the environments are suited in such a manner that multiple routes exist. Unfortunately, it seems nearly impossible to take the exact route you want half the time. Holding B only puts you into a downward path if there's no upward path available ( in which case it doesn't seem to make a difference) and I feel like I have to try harder than ever just to take even the most basic routes. There's a serious issue going on when there's I'm on a ledge halfway up a building, another ledge halfway to my left, a ledge behind me, a wall of buildings opposite me, and a target below me, and when I push towards the target with RT+B, I jump onto the ledge BEHIND ME.

Just seems remarkable that a large number of my frustrations with this otherwise amazing game seem to stem from what Ubisoft held as a selling point. Am I the only one?

Sushiglutton
12-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Meh I think freerunning is better than ever. I mean I have also runned into spots where I think the game functions weirdly. But that has happened in all the other games as well. For the most part though it works beautifully.

i WiLL aM
12-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Just to be clear...I'm assuming you're talking about Assassin's Creed 3? If so I think that they're possibly the best yet, but then again that could be just me...

doogsy91
12-21-2012, 11:45 PM
I think the controls in regards to all movement have been greatly improved (especially with regards to crowd interaction). The only thing I'd like to have seen is that the normal running (accessed by holding the right trigger (on Xbox) down halfway) did not initiate free-running, just like in the previous games. Other than that I think the controls are great but I do agree that the "magnetism" system is a tad too aggressive.

L3377MA573R
12-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Just to be clear...I'm assuming you're talking about Assassin's Creed 3? If so I think that they're possibly the best yet, but then again that could be just me...
Ah, my mistake, fixed it now. Yes, I am referring to ACIII.

And I guess I am (for the most part) alone in this regard, which saddens me a bit.

Assassin_M
12-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Ah, my mistake, fixed it now. Yes, I am referring to ACIII.

And I guess I am (for the most part) alone in this regard, which saddens me a bit.
You`re probably not alone..

Be happy:)

pirate1802
12-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Nah.. I think the controls are the best ever in an AC game. i seriously don't get the other complaints about controls, maybe because I play with keyboard and mouse? :/

kriegerdesgottes
12-22-2012, 06:44 AM
You're not alone. I really like ACIII but I absolutely can't stand the new navigation controls. It's too dummed down and easy. I like the old navigation controls.

AssassinVenice
12-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Controls are far better now. Whenever I launch a previous AC game, I always tend to ignore that X button for free-running, and I'm not even speaking about combat!
People that say you required more "skill" to free-run in previous AC games are just blind or the can't see the truth, which is that in AC3 you must learn how to use 1 button to navigate your way through the environment, without committing mistakes, while in previous AC games you had all the required actions/ buttons available to navigate your way through pretty easily.

In the end, these are the best controls an AC game ever had.:cool:

kriegerdesgottes
12-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Controls are far better now. Whenever I launch a previous AC game, I always tend to ignore that X button for free-running, and I'm not even speaking about combat!
People that say you required more "skill" to free-run in previous AC games are just blind or the can't see the truth, which is that in AC3 you must learn how to use 1 button to navigate your way through the environment, without committing mistakes, while in previous AC games you had all the required actions/ buttons available to navigate your way through pretty easily.

In the end, these are the best controls an AC game ever had.:cool:

Yeah I don't think so. I completely disagree. I should not be able to hold in a button and watch a character do everything that I should be doing. He just scales up the buildings without me having to look for a way up or even try. It totally takes away the fun in climbing and free-running. I'm surprised people like it at all. I was hoping I would just get used to it after a while but unfortunately I still hate it.

kuled2012
12-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I can't get used to the old controls now haha, I like it better now.

xx-pyro
12-22-2012, 02:02 PM
You're not alone. I really like ACIII but I absolutely can't stand the new navigation controls. It's too dummed down and easy. I like the old navigation controls.

Making it so you have to press one button instead of two is not dumbing it down, it's good design. It also allowed them to put in new features like running takedowns- which were impossible before because my thumb would be on the X button and my index on R1 to free-run, leaving no finger for the attack button. That's a smart design choice, not dumbing down and easy.

vZ POiSoN vZ
12-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Although I agree it is good that the new controls allowed for new features, I agree with the OP that they are slightly dumbed down. I mean, there is no requirement to look at what you're doing, Connor just scales buildings and does everything for you as you press the trigger. I dont HATE it, but there are times where it bothers me. For example, if you are running from one end of NY to the other for some reason, I can pretty much hold down RT and press forward and walk away from TV and if he is pointed in the right direction, Connor will pretty much get there.lol

SixKeys
12-22-2012, 04:25 PM
I don't think the freerunning itself feels dumbed down, just simplified. One thing I do think was genuinely dumbed down was taking away player control from shoving NPCs or killing civilians (except maybe by tripwire). The reason behind the "puppeteering" controls in the other games was to make the player aware of their surroundings and really make them use social stealth. You're not even able to make people drop whatever they're carrying anymore and thus attracting unwanted attention to yourself. Connor automatically shoves people out of the way when he's running, so you can't stumble and fall over anymore if you're not careful. That was the point of social stealth in the other games. Be aware of the people around you, don't hurt innocents or there will be consequences.

EaglePrince25
12-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't think the freerunning itself feels dumbed down, just simplified. One thing I do think was genuinely dumbed down was taking away player control from shoving NPCs or killing civilians (except maybe by tripwire). The reason behind the "puppeteering" controls in the other games was to make the player aware of their surroundings and really make them use social stealth. You're not even able to make people drop whatever they're carrying anymore and thus attracting unwanted attention to yourself. Connor automatically shoves people out of the way when he's running, so you can't stumble and fall over anymore if you're not careful. That was the point of social stealth in the other games. Be aware of the people around you, don't hurt innocents or there will be consequences.

This. Everything else about the new controls I hated at first, because they were different, but i've gottan used to. And I went back and played Revelations for a bit the other day and after a few minutes got used to those controls again, and then easily transitioned back to the AClll controls. It just takes a little bit of time.

In terms of Connor not stumbling, I think it's a little understandable due to his tree climbing skills. He should be the most surefooted of any of the Assassin's. I see it as a different aspect thrown in due to his different background, similar to his different fighting style. I wouldn't want it to be a permanent feature for every Assassin, but I think it kinda works for him. Only problem is that I feel even when easily shoving some people aside they should drop what they're holding every now and again, due to the sudden change in direction.

SixKeys
12-22-2012, 04:36 PM
In terms of Connor not stumbling, I think it's a little understandable due to his tree climbing skills. He should be the most surefooted of any of the Assassin's. I see it as a different aspect thrown in due to his different background, similar to his different fighting style. I wouldn't want it to be a permanent feature for every Assassin, but I think it kinda works for him. Only problem is that I feel even when easily shoving some people aside they should drop what they're holding every now and again, due to the sudden change in direction.

I don't see how treerunning skills make you more adept at not shoving people. In fact, if anything, it makes more sense for Connor to feel out of his element in big cities full of crowds of people. In the Frontier he can move smoothly and gracefully through the foliage because it's where he belongs. In the cities he should be more like a fish out of water.

Sushiglutton
12-22-2012, 04:47 PM

I think people use the expression "dumbing down" way too liberaly. Crowd shoving was never an advanced, interesting form of gameplay and certailny not anywhere near "the point of social stealth". You held down another button when running through a crowd, compared to normal free running. That was it. No timing, no strategy. Calling the streamlining of a super simple feature like that "dumbing down" I find a bit silly tbh.

EaglePrince25
12-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't see how treerunning skills make you more adept at not shoving people. In fact, if anything, it makes more sense for Connor to feel out of his element in big cities full of crowds of people. In the Frontier he can move smoothly and gracefully through the foliage because it's where he belongs. In the cities he should be more like a fish out of water.

Because he's used to moving around branches and the like, similar to the way he moves around people when running. He'll grab the person exactly as he does a branch, move around, and keep going. In contrast, Ezio would completely bump into a person and muscle them aside.

I see where you're coming from with him feeling a little out of place in the city though, however I feel that's something that'd only really be applied at first when he's still training.