PDA

View Full Version : So the FPS drops were an ATI issue afterall?

ElleCore
12-21-2012, 12:16 AM
I have 2 video cards now I switch between based on performance for different games.
I had an ATI Radeon HD 4870 before, and AC3 was almost unplayable in Boston/New York/Frontier for me.
Switched it with an Nvidia Geforce Gtx 440 today (both cards have about the same statistics) and they're gone, completely, the game is so smooth now.

Too bad users of certain hardware are getting screwed over.

spectatorx
12-21-2012, 12:29 AM
It is really difficult to define it precisely. As you see i'm analyzing this issue since very long time.

abohamed
12-21-2012, 12:34 AM
I have 2 video cards now I switch between based on performance for different games.
I had an ATI Radeon HD 4870 before, and AC3 was almost unplayable in Boston/New York/Frontier for me.
Switched it with an Nvidia Geforce Gtx 440 today (both cards have about the same statistics) and they're gone, completely, the game is so smooth now.

god help us ( ATI users )

my GPU vs yours ......
http://www.hwcompare.com/7279/geforce-gt-440-1-5gb-vs-radeon-hd-5770/

so ?? ...................

ElleCore
12-21-2012, 12:50 AM
god help us ( ATI users )

my GPU vs yours ......
http://www.hwcompare.com/7279/geforce-gt-440-1-5gb-vs-radeon-hd-5770/

so ?? ...................

I was just making an example between my ATI and my Nvidia cards. Not my Nvidia and YOUR ATI card.

abohamed
12-21-2012, 01:36 AM
I was just making an example between my ATI and my Nvidia cards. Not my Nvidia and YOUR ATI card.

calm down man ... i mean no offence here ... i just saying :D

ElleCore
12-21-2012, 10:05 AM
calm down man ... i mean no offence here ... i just saying :D

Calm down? I never got mad or whatever. Sorry if my post sounded like that.
Though I saw before on the forums people with ATI video cards as good or better than yours and had the fps drops. So Idk what to make of it.
In this thread I wanted to say how for me the fps drops really were caused by an ATI card, since switching it with an Nvidia of almost the same performance the fps drops are gone.

spectatorx
12-21-2012, 10:14 AM
There is no more ati brand, it is amd since long time :D Ha ha :-) Ok, HD4xxx series was still under ATI trademark xD Last series released as ati was hd5xxx.So... you can be right, this might be problem of ATI gpus but for sure it is not a problem of gpus from amd :D

abohamed
12-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Calm down? I never got mad or whatever. Sorry if my post sounded like that.
Though I saw before on the forums people with ATI video cards as good or better than yours and had the fps drops. So Idk what to make of it.
In this thread I wanted to say how for me the fps drops really were caused by an ATI card, since switching it with an Nvidia of almost the same performance the fps drops are gone.

do not be sorry man .. it happens :D and btw i was ( and still ) say the same idea that you are talking about for a month or more check this out :

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/731159-messge-for-all-ATI-video-cards-guys

and .. at last spectatorx begin to agree with me :D

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 12:07 PM
****.. I have both AMD GPU and CPU. I'm screwed twice over.. :nonchalance:

Mr_Shade
12-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Thanks for trying that.

As I have been saying, the FPS issue is a tricky one to point a finger at, many blame the game, however your results do point to drivers.

I would suggest that AMD users use the latest beta drivers (which are officially suggested)

Here is some information on possible steps to improve your performance using your current graphics card:

Nvidia users :
• Should use official 310.70 drivers for optimal perf (no longer need the beta driver)
• SLI should be disabled for now, we are working with NV to provide a SLI profile asap
• Users experiencing the disco-colored hair issue should make sure to use the 1.01 version of the game
o Some cards still have the issue with 1.01, in particular the GTS 250. We will fix this in the upcoming patch (with the TU4 fixes). We will also expose the workaround flag in the .ini file, so that users can enable it themselves if we’ve missed other problematic cards.

AMD users:
• *MUST ABSOLUTELY* use at least the 12.11 BETA8 drivers (12.11 BETA11 drivers are also ok). Anything lower will result in erratic framerate and stuttering.
• Crossfire should be disabled. It has a big negative impact on performance at the moment. We are working with AMD to provide a Xfire profile asap.

Performance tips:

This game is a very CPU intensive game to begin with and the “Environment quality” option only makes it more demanding.
• On the “Very High” setting, the rendered surface area is twice as big as on console and the objects are 4 times more detailed.
• Users whose systems don’t have cutting-edge CPUs or that want higher framerates should consider bringing this setting down a notch.

On the GPU side:
• “AA quality” will most affect performance. Using the “Very High” or “TXAA” settings will enabled 4x MSAA, which will require beefy GPUs, especially as resolutions go up.
• “Shadow quality” will also affect performance when on “Very High”, as the shadow filtering is quite sophisticated at that setting.

abohamed
12-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Thanks for trying that.

As I have been saying, the FPS issue is a tricky one to point a finger at, many blame the game, however your results do point to drivers.

I would suggest that AMD users use the latest beta drivers (which are officially suggested)

agreed .. but could ubisoft guys help AMD guys with this one ... BECAUSE ON AMD FORUMS SITE THEY SAY THAT PROBLEM IS NOT THERE FAULT !!!!!!!! SO PLEASE HELP THEM AND HELP US TO FIX THAT PROBLEM :
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=162336&highlight_key=y&keyword1=one%20big

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=162609&highlight_key=y&keyword1=one%20big

I HAVE TRY EVERY THING WITH THEM FOR A MONTH WITH NO USE !!!!

soundingcreepy
12-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Nvidia cards are still having issues with the game as well though, granted not as severe as AMD.

I am wondering if it is also tied to the amount of VRAM as well, as of right now I have a GTX 460 with only 768mb of VRAM. I will be upgrading to a 660 with 2gb of VRAM. However that won't be until January so I hope some official patch is out to at least iron out some of the bugs by then.

abohamed
12-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Nvidia cards are still having issues with the game as well though, granted not as severe as AMD.

I am wondering if it is also tied to the amount of VRAM as well, as of right now I have a GTX 460 with only 768mb of VRAM. I will be upgrading to a 660 with 2gb of VRAM. However that won't be until January so I hope some official patch is out to at least iron out some of the bugs by then.

well its NOT a VRAM problem check this out :

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/738298-Assassin-s-Creed-3-is-unplayable-Very-low-FPS

dbankier
12-22-2012, 04:07 AM
agreed .. but could ubisoft guys help AMD guys with this one ... BECAUSE ON AMD FORUMS SITE THEY SAY THAT PROBLEM IS NOT THERE FAULT !!!!!!!! SO PLEASE HELP THEM AND HELP US TO FIX THAT PROBLEM :
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=162336&highlight_key=y&keyword1=one%20big

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=162609&highlight_key=y&keyword1=one%20big

I HAVE TRY EVERY THING WITH THEM FOR A MONTH WITH NO USE !!!!

That was me who posted last on your thread, sadly no one seems to be listening to us, the graphs on gamegpu.ru should speak for themselves.

Personally I noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever when I installed the beta drivers. If the drivers did anything for AC3 they would have mentioned it in the release notes, but they didn't.

abohamed
12-22-2012, 04:17 AM
That was me who posted last on your thread, sadly no one seems to be listening to us, the graphs on gamegpu.ru should speak for themselves.

Personally I noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever when I installed the beta drivers. If the drivers did anything for AC3 they would have mentioned it in the release notes, but they didn't.

sad but true ........