PDA

View Full Version : End of THQ, what about Patrice Desilets

evil9494
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM
After this not so shocking news:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/19/3785022/game-developer-thq-files-for-bankruptcy-will-sell-off-assets-and-games

Could it be that Patrice may return in Ubisoft? I doubt it but I have little hope, because he is guilty of the AC series as we know it today. He is so good in creating games and his ideas are brilliant.

Of course the new people (sponsors) behind THQ now will be Clearlake Capital Group (http://www.clearlakecapital.com/) and they will try saving the company. But **** I want Patrice again working on Assassin's Creed. :D

ProletariatPleb
12-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Dude Patrice is working on game 1666 in THQ, they even showed their plans yesterday and mentioned, none of the projects that are ongoing will be affected.

http://vglens.com/2012/12/thq-games-predictions-plans/

Lass4r
12-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I doubt it but I have little hope, because he is guilty of the AC series as we know it today.

The way you worded this it sounds like you have almost no hope and that the AC series is bad because of him. You can say that he is the reason for why AC is the AC we know today, but you can't say he's "guilty" :p Any you could instead say: "I have some hope".

Anyways, on topic, I don't think he would come back now, but I'm sure he could be an asset. I really wish the next AC would go further back in time, to those basics of AC more or less, but with all the improved gameplay.

Will_Lucky
12-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Dude Patrice is working on game 1666 in THQ, they even showed their plans yesterday and mentioned, none of the projects that are ongoing will be affected.

http://vglens.com/2012/12/thq-games-predictions-plans/

So they say, problem is how are they supposed to continue like nothings happened when they've declared bankruptcy? They can't maintain spending at its current budget levels obviously to the point they had to default on a $50 million bill earlier this month, so the only solution is this new buyer whoever it is will have to make spending cuts. If I was in charge, I'd target the games that are not sequels or are under performing franchises. And I'd go as far as to shut the entire studio responsible down. Its what any sane businessman would do.

Assassin_M
12-21-2012, 12:44 AM
To be honest, I dont want Patrice back...AC II was my least favorite game in the series...He changed the formula too much from AC I(Which was his too. I`m not taking anything away from him. He had magnificent vision, but it got diluted with AC II and ACB)

I`m willing to see where Hutchinson goes with this....AC III has amazing potential....Flaws in Design and Polish are what`s holding it back for me...

Will_Lucky
12-21-2012, 12:55 AM
To be honest, I dont want Patrice back...AC II was my least favorite game in the series...He changed the formula too much from AC I(Which was his too. I`m not taking anything away from him. He had magnificent vision, but it got diluted with AC II and ACB)

I`m willing to see where Hutchinson goes with this....AC III has amazing potential....Flaws in Design and Polish are what`s holding it back for me...

True True, then again AC3 had the benefit of being built upon the foundation that AC2 had laid.

Assassin_M
12-21-2012, 02:59 AM
True True, then again AC3 had the benefit of being built upon the foundation that AC2 had laid.
Yeah....evident by all the people crying because it was so different from AC II...Yeah...Yeah

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 04:52 AM

Me too. I like his vision for the series. Some minor complaints here and there, but overall good.

ProletariatPleb
12-21-2012, 06:34 AM
I want him back, I liked AC1 and AC2(more of 1), but after that it's gone all downhill for me. AC is a shadow of its former self.

pacmanate
12-21-2012, 10:21 AM
It wasn't Alex's fault that the game was buggy as ****. Corey still wrote the story which wasn't Alex's doing either... bringing back Patrice won't change anything. The main gripes with AC3 is its story and the amount of bugs.

ProletariatPleb
12-21-2012, 10:34 AM
It wasn't Alex's fault that the game was buggy as ****. Corey still wrote the story which wasn't Alex's doing either... bringing back Patrice won't change anything. The main gripes with AC3 is its story and the amount of bugs.
Sure it can, IF he has his way(which he won't) which is hard considering it won't be the most profitable way.

pacmanate
12-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Sure it can, IF he has his way(which he won't) which is hard considering it won't be the most profitable way.

You can't hold Alex responsible for the bugs, the bug testers and fixers are responsible.

ProletariatPleb
12-21-2012, 10:43 AM
You can't hold Alex responsible for the bugs, the bug testers and fixers are responsible.
I'm not holding him responsible for anything

AdrianJacek
12-21-2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisoft-plots-thq-bid/0108645 Well, would you look at that...

pacmanate
12-21-2012, 02:11 PM
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisoft-plots-thq-bid/0108645 Well, would you look at that...

I hope it happens. Ubisoft and Naughty Dog are the only guys I trust anymore.

kuled2012
12-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I hope it happens. Ubisoft and Naughty Dog are the only guys I trust anymore.Rockstar?

pacmanate
12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Rockstar?

I want too but I didn't like GTA4 or La Noire... Max Payne 3 was okay, I loved RDR though but 1 out of 3 isn't good enough for me to rate them highly lately. Their whole marketing for GTA5 is really irritating too. 2 trailers in a year... hardly any info until November.

ProletariatPleb
12-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Noooooooooooo, do not ruin it.

If this happens Metro Last Light will have ******ed easy AI, explosions and 'epic' moments. I do not want to imagine the horror anymore ._.
Company of Heroes will become some sort of 'personal' quest...........

Kill me before this happens.

Sushiglutton
12-21-2012, 02:43 PM
I hope it works out for him and some good producer buys the 1666 property :). I think it's better he gets to develop a new IP rather than doing yearly AC releases. Gives his creativity more freedom. Also AC needs a competitor.

kuled2012
12-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I want too but I didn't like GTA4 or La Noire... Max Payne 3 was okay, I loved RDR though but 1 out of 3 isn't good enough for me to rate them highly lately. Their whole marketing for GTA5 is really irritating too. 2 trailers in a year... hardly any info until November.

You didn't play Bully or the other GTAs? :o

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Noooooooooooo, do not ruin it.

If this happens Metro Last Light will have ******ed easy AI, explosions and 'epic' moments. I do not want to imagine the horror anymore ._.
Company of Heroes will become some sort of 'personal' quest...........

Kill me before this happens.

As you wish.

*Artistically inserts hidden blade*

ProletariatPleb
12-21-2012, 03:23 PM
As you wish.

*Artistically inserts hidden blade*
It hasn't happened yet...we don't even know IF it will..

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 03:29 PM
It hasn't happened yet...we don't even know IF it will..

Ahh oops. Looks like I killed you for nothing. Sorry! :nonchalance:

Sushiglutton
12-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Rumour is Ubi might buy Patrice back: http://www.gamespot.com/news/ubisoft-to-buy-thq-assets-6401892

dewgel
12-21-2012, 10:24 PM

Actually, Corey, Alex & Matt Turner wrote the story, with script input from Danny Wallace, who has a background of writing etc

As for the series, change is needed. The way I see it, there's nothing from with the ancestor sides of the story. Albeit it feels lacking in some emotion and has some pointless memories. The present day is what needs really sorted out. We need something big, like an actual WOW moment. I've never been amazed when playing the present bits. Yeah, Desmond's skyscraper mission was awesome, but restrictive. It was just free running in a new scenario.

As for the Abstergo bit, Desmond's combat was annoying.. he magically had a knife that appeared when he equipped the hidden blade and Abstergo looked poorly mapped out. The whole level design for that area was very poor.

However, I love the way the story is going. AC is going in the right direction. If we still had Patrice or Jade Raymond, who knows what it'll be like.. we can speculate all we like, but Patrice has had his moment. There's no need to bring him back.

D.I.D.
12-22-2012, 12:52 AM
The way I see it, there's nothing from with the ancestor sides of the story. Albeit it feels lacking in some emotion and has some pointless memories. The present day is what needs really sorted out. We need something big, like an actual WOW moment. I've never been amazed when playing the present bits. Yeah, Desmond's skyscraper mission was awesome, but restrictive. It was just free running in a new scenario.

I don't know about that. For me, the biggest problems come when the games try to provide a big "wow" moment, and they just get worse when every game tries to top the last.

In a novel or a film, it wouldn't necessarily be handled that way. They could use the present day to provide something much more grounded and meaningful, for an atmosphere of reality, and use the past for the fix of adventure and spectacle. Instead we have this insane competition between the two stories, a narrative arms race, and a lack of contrast.

D.I.D.
12-22-2012, 01:00 AM
After seeing the freedom Bethesda allowed to Arkane, I would hope they pick up the 1666 project. We know nothing about 1666 but since THQ didn't force it out of the door and work's been continuing for some time, it sounds like a carefully tended game: quite possibly something with a very specific vision.

Ubisoft already have AC and Watch Dogs. I wouldn't want to see any pressure on 1666 to make it more like Uncharted.