PDA

View Full Version : What did you think about the hunting?

Sushiglutton
12-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I've finished all the hunting quests and challenges and I'm a bit curious what you all thought. Personally I think the hunting was a bit underdeveloped to a point where it was more a bit tedious than fun, I'm sorry to say :(. My overall feeling was disapointment. So I tried to think of why I felt that way and here's what I came up with.

Animal behaviour:
Animal behaviour is kind of key to sell the wildlife. Ofc this can never be completely realistic as animals are very complex beings. In my opinion though the animals were a little bit too dumb to make the illusion work. Some specific points:

There are a few too many animals and especially in some areas they spawn way too frequently.
They are not timid enough I feel. You can get too close running at full speed, before they react and flee.
Their reaction to bait is too direct and automatic. Like when you are hiding in a bush, drop some bait and the animal immidiately runs towards you. Feels real awkward.
You can kill as many small animals in a row as you want on the same exact spot with a snare and bait. I think animals should stay away from their fallen comrades.
The use of certain spawn zones for certain species feel awkward. Like you can get to a lake where bears spawn and kill like twenty of them if you like. Diminish the excitement of finding a bear quiet a bit.
Tracking animals by clicking a magnifying glass icon is not exactly fun. Would be better if you had like a hunters guide with pictures of different types of animal tracks. Then you could compare it yourself and draw your own conclusions (and actually learn something!). Then there could be foot marks you could follow or something.
Bow:
There are two parts to hunting: finding the prey and kill it. Now the latter part is stripped of all challenge because of the auto-aiming mechanic. And when there is no challenge there is no satisfaction. Getting that perfect shot with the bow would have felt rewarding. It would also have been an incitament for sneaking up on the animal so you could shoot it while it's standing still. I think Ubi should keep the pistols auto aim, but make the bow free to aim (and use). Perhaps add a slow-mo mechanic of some sort. I know the bow is allready semi-free (once you lock to a target) but it's totally useless as it is now.

The arrows also behave really weirdly. For example I shot one rabbit and two raccoons with one shot and they were not exactly lined up. Also when you skin an animal and get the arrow back, you can frequently see it still lying on the ground beside you. The bow also lack the feel of impact when you hit. I prefer the bow a ton over the crossbow, but I feel there's still a lot of room left for improvement.

QTE:
No one likes QTE and ofc Ubi only used it to save money and time. But I think the Arkham City style combat is perfectly suitable for animal encounters as it's allready half QTE-based. When an animal is about to attack a red/yellow icon should flash allowing you to counter as vs a regular guard. And then ofc choose how to follow that up. The beauty of the Arkham system is that it's so easy and intuitive so you can basically just change the animations depending on the enemy type and the player will immidiately get the controls. I hope this can be implemented in the sequel.

Summary (TL: DR):
The hunting was too simplistic and shallow which sucked the feel of accomplishment and joy out of the experience.

What did you guys think?

FreshGroundFX
12-20-2012, 08:53 PM
I think hunting, trading, crafting, villagers, and all that stuff is just ambience. It's not trivial to the game nor the plot so they put it in there to make the game more immersive. For that reason, I can't say hunting was done poorly, because when travelling across the frontier by horse, I'd really rather stab a random animal than just gallop through the woods with no entertainment. I think hunting exceeded my expectations in way too because they have funny stuff like "air assassinate". Like " go air assassinate that bunny". That's ****ing jokes, but I like it. Also, the fact that you get to use the pelts for trading is pretty cool too which means the whole hunting system isn't stand alone and just for show. I don't like how he has to say "yamo" everytime he skins an animal. It's like I get it, you are one with nature and you respect god's creations, now please skin the animal and let me be on my way.

pablo2977
12-20-2012, 08:59 PM
The only thing I dint like was how tough the deer was I never get one shot kills I hold the bow for ages waiting for it I hit the deer ..........and it runs off

pacmanate
12-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Thought it was terrible compared to Far Cry 3's. They should have taken a leaf out of Far Crys team. In Far Cry it wouldnt force you into a quick time event that would kill the animal most of the time. It would just be to get them off you. Also, in Far Cry 3 it doesn't go into quick time ALL the time when you are attacked too. I didn't like being locked in AC3 when something attacked me.

kuled2012
12-20-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't like how he has to say "yamo" everytime he skins an animal. It's like I get it, you are one with nature and you respect god's creations, now please skin the animal and let me be on my way.

He's just saying thank you :(

ACfan443
12-20-2012, 09:12 PM
The QTEs were annoying, boring and made hunting feel repetitive. Hopefully they're not present in the next sequel.

FreshGroundFX
12-20-2012, 09:34 PM
The QTEs were annoying, boring and made hunting feel repetitive. Hopefully they're not present in the next sequel.

Yeah, I agree. That is really annoying. I came here to kill ****, not play DDR.

FreshGroundFX
12-20-2012, 09:35 PM
He's just saying thank you :(

Haha, maybe I'm more frustrated with the repetition of it rather than what he is actually saying :P

Sushiglutton
12-20-2012, 09:40 PM
As I suspected everyone hates the QTE :D!

Thought it was terrible compared to Far Cry 3's. They should have taken a leaf out of Far Crys team. In Far Cry it wouldnt force you into a quick time event that would kill the animal most of the time. It would just be to get them off you. Also, in Far Cry 3 it doesn't go into quick time ALL the time when you are attacked too. I didn't like being locked in AC3 when something attacked me.

I really need to play Farcry 3 :). I'm working on a backlog, but Farcry 3 is the first game I'll pick up when I'm finished. To be fair I think it's a little bit easier to implement a good hunting mechanic in a game focusing on shooting, than one focusing on melee combat.

Sushiglutton
12-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I think hunting, trading, crafting, villagers, and all that stuff is just ambience. It's not trivial to the game nor the plot so they put it in there to make the game more immersive. For that reason, I can't say hunting was done poorly, because when travelling across the frontier by horse, I'd really rather stab a random animal than just gallop through the woods with no entertainment. I think hunting exceeded my expectations in way too because they have funny stuff like "air assassinate". Like " go air assassinate that bunny". That's ****ing jokes, but I like it. Also, the fact that you get to use the pelts for trading is pretty cool too which means the whole hunting system isn't stand alone and just for show. I don't like how he has to say "yamo" everytime he skins an animal. It's like I get it, you are one with nature and you respect god's creations, now please skin the animal and let me be on my way.

I agree it was nice how they connected the hunting with the crafting system.

HareyMon
12-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I agree. I spent 5 minutes on the one hunting mission where you have to find a legendary giant bear doing those ****ing quick time events on bears. The thing that pisses me off even more is for the bears there is only one sequence: O Square, O Triangle, O X. I thought the game would lessen the amount of things I would get because I was punching holes in that bear's pelt but I'm not. What's point of stealthily assassinating them when I can repeat the same button sequence over and over again?

Assassin_M
12-21-2012, 12:00 AM
I thought it was challenging to avoid QTEs..

I do not like them myself, but they gave me more incentive to be stealthy...

I loved hunting..so much better than RDR