PDA

View Full Version : Sinking feeling? (spoiler warning)

cj-united
12-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Hello Ubisoft forums

I am two days removed from finishing ACIII, and what I have experienced since can only be described as that sinking feeling.

I have been devoted to this series for many years, conceptually and thematically it is head and shoulders above the rest. I happened to enjoy Connor as a character, and considering how relatively little we have seen of him and his young age by the game's conclusion, I doubt it is the last we see of him.

That said, I found the 'conclusion' to Desmond's story to be entirely underwhelming. I stress the word 'conclusion', as by no stretch of the imagination is it likely that we do not see him again in some form. I know that ACIII's ending was nothing out of the ordinary for an AC game, but given the billing of this game as the conclusion of the trilogy and of Desmond's story, the five or so minutes we got were not good enough. It showed the 2012 angle was a throwaway idea and it was given appropriate attention.

I always enjoyed the idea of the dual-narrative of the 2012 armageddon as well as that of Desmond's assassin ancestors, and I championed the game for being bold enough to do it. As others here have noted, it is challenging to engage the gamer in both Desmond and his ancestor's story. I'm not here to argue for Desmond as a character, I'm not even going to argue, as some have, that the acting of that final scene wasn't good enough (as odd as it was for Rebecca/Shaun to be mute and William to act the way he did).

I'm saying that the ending to the 2012 storyline was not five years and five games worth of storytelling. You could argue that ACIII was not a conclusion to that story, merely a set up for the continuation through Juno. I'm saying that such credence was given to this idea that the 21st December 2012 vein was the significant event which tied everything together - which is why I don't feel the ACIII ending is good enough.

This underwhelming feeling I have can only be attributed to the fact that I have spent countless hours not only wrapped up in the story, but actively engaging in it. The writing on the wall in ACI, Truth videos in ACII & Brotherhood. There aren't many other games where I can say the same thing.

I'm here as much to vent as I am to hope that I find like minded people. It would be comforting to know I'm not the only person feeling this way.

Thanks.

pacmanate
12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
You aren't the only one that thought the ending was crap. My main gripe is not how it ended but the WAY it ended.

For example, he never said bye to Rebecca and Shaun. All of a sudden there was a moment where it was like "Gotta touch the orb in 5 seconds D:". I expected a moment between Desmond and his dad talking about his mum, like "Tell her I am sorry for everything" or something a bit more heartfull. As well as Shaun and Rebecca, I expected a farewell along the lines of "Its been great working with you (lol?)" etc etc. Was too abrupt, there should have been some goodbyes.

There was NO reason whatsoever for him to rush and touch that orb thing.

r4inm4n1991
12-20-2012, 05:24 PM
You aren't the only one that thought the ending was crap. My main gripe is not how it ended but the WAY it ended.

For example, he never said bye to Rebecca and Shaun. All of a sudden there was a moment where it was like "Gotta touch the orb in 5 seconds D:". I expected a moment between Desmond and his dad talking about his mum, like "Tell her I am sorry for everything" or something a bit more heartfull. As well as Shaun and Rebecca, I expected a farewell along the lines of "Its been great working with you (lol?)" etc etc. Was too abrupt, there should have been some goodbyes.

Maybe because theres no need for goodbyes. think about it.

Aphex_Tim
12-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Maybe because theres no need for goodbyes. think about it.

Perhaps, but Desmond 'n Crew couldn't know that.

CalgaryJay
12-20-2012, 06:41 PM

I had the Desmond ending blown for me when I was halfway through playing, and after hearing that I fully expected Desmond's dad to betray him & potentially be the reason for his death. Just his slimy voice, cold attitude towards his son, and about how he wouldn't even let Desmond see his mom. Also about how he said he'd go to Egypt & handle that one energy source himself, I thought that whole kidnapping was staged. Kinda surprised it didn't turn out that way actually.

And I am of the very few it seems who actually liked the ending, but then again I pretty much lost interest in the Desmond angle by ACB. I'm not saying I loved it, but I certainly didn't get what all the fuss was about. But if you were really into Desmond I can see how that ending could've felt too quick after 5 games of build-up.

pirate1802
12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you for a rational post on what was wrong with the ending rather than ..this is crap that sux type post.

And no you're not the only one who feels that way. Even though I mightily enjoyed the rest of the game I gotta admit the modern day ending was underwhelming. :( I liked the ending in concept.. Desmond picking a seemingly Templar choice to save the world, TWCB having a bigger role in future games etc etc, but not how it was presented to us. As others have said before me.
But, even though Desmond may be well and truly dead, I don't think we have seen the last of him :)

cmrggamer
12-20-2012, 06:51 PM

This is the first AC game that I extensively followed all of the media for, and when they kept saying that this would be the end to Desmond's chapter (but not the franchise) I thought right then that it was pretty obvious that Desmond was going to die. I really liked this whole Juno-being-released thing and I'm excited to see where they can take it in the next game. The concept of the ending was good, but the execution not so much.

I completely agree with pacmanate with the last scene between Desmond and co. There is a conversation where Desmond asks his father about his mother and if there's a chance he can talk to her, and then when he's about to sacrifice himself he doesn't even mention her? One thing I found disappointing was the mo-cap for the present-day characters. When you look at Connor and Haytham you can read so much into what they're feeling, even if they're not saying it. That was completely lacking with Desmond and co. If you need an example, look at the scene where William punches Desmond in the face--there is no reaction from Rebecca lol. Honestly, I don't even need Shaun or Rebecca to say anything. Maybe something as simple as touching his arm would say a lot more.

And I agree that there was no reason to rush and touch the orb. Some people have complained about not getting a choice--the AC games have never given the player a choice, but I definitely would have preferred a moment of hesitation from Desmond. But if their reason for making Desmond touch the orb so fast was because that's how close the world was to ending then they should have created more tension so the player could connect with that.

pacmanate
12-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I dont agree on alternate endings for AC3 because the universe is confusing enough as it is, however there was no rush to touch the orb and no rush for goodbyes. It just seemed stupid.

cj-united
12-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Shameless bump :rolleyes:

Would like to see some more views on this!

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 01:48 AM
I used to think Desmond was Luke, and Daniel or Clay were Anikin, but now I'm starting to think Desmond was Anikin, and his story is only a gateway to the Luke of the series. Also,
Copypasta from me:
I actually read someones idea that I thought was genius. When Clay hugged Desmond at the end of Revelations, he transferred some of his subconsciousness onto Desmond, so when Desmond touched the orb, it killed Clay, again, not Desmond, witch is why it wasn't painless, because Desmond felt a aftershock. What a twist!

ACfan443
12-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Completely agree with the OP. I've already made my feelings on the ending (and Desmond's story in general) aware on countless threads. I'm also left with the sinkin feeling.

PantherophisG
12-24-2012, 02:51 AM
I have to say that I found the ending unsatisfactory as well. All the points made so far I feel are completely accurate, but I also feel that they botched the story of TWCB. The bits talked about during the power-up were fairly interesting, but the final bit bothered me for several reasons. First, up until this game, the only individuals who interacted with TWCB were doing so through the Apples of Eden, yet it's stated in e-mails and even shown in the final sequence that Juno is suddenly appearing before them all. Second, the way Juno's speeches unfolded in ACB made it seem that she and Minerva were working together against "Him", yet the two are clearly at odds, while Jupiter is mysteriously missing and seemingly forgotten. Another thing that bothered me this time around was the POE in this game. Other than being flashed on screen in the beginning and ending sequences, there was no real feel of the tug-of-war struggle to obtain it between the Assassins and Templars and thus felt fairly insignificant overall.

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 05:20 AM
It just felt unsatisfactory all around. It's like the end of the matrix 3. Why did it suck, because the end (only the end, I'm not going to bring the entire movie in here) SPOILER ALERT! Trinity dies after being revived in the last one, Neo loses making all that training to be a badass worthless, and the machines take care of the agents. SPOILER END Why have us learn about and care for the character, only to kill them off and making their journey pointless.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 05:24 AM
I find it rather strange that some people think that killing a character off is bad writing or "pointless". I can`t say I`ll understand their view nor agree with it even if explained.

That said, The only thing that bugged me was the presentation. I was fine with the ending itself, but not the presentation. It was basically "So no one gives a crap about Ol` Dessie ??" I mean God, a little emotion wont hurt...some more heat in the moment. Other than that, I thought the ending itself was fine..

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 06:04 AM
I find it rather strange that some people think that killing a character off is bad writing or "pointless". I can`t say I`ll understand their view nor agree with it even if explained.

That said, The only thing that bugged me was the presentation. I was fine with the ending itself, but not the presentation. It was basically "So no one gives a crap about Ol` Dessie ??" I mean God, a little emotion wont hurt...some more heat in the moment. Other than that, I thought the ending itself was fine..
It's not that the idea of a character dying is pointless, it's that it makes the adventure pointless. And that's exactly what I'm talking about, there was no emotion, no "OMG Desmond's gonna die. We'll miss you bro." Just, ( Read this in Duke Nukems vioce) "After 5 games, see you later. Now to touch the orb and uvfjuhvcujhfebvcihefbcilhbvcihdsfv"

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 06:52 AM
It's not that the idea of a character dying is pointless, it's that it makes the adventure pointless. And that's exactly what I'm talking about, there was no emotion, no "OMG Desmond's gonna die. We'll miss you bro." Just, ( Read this in Duke Nukems vioce) "After 5 games, see you later. Now to touch the orb and uvfjuhvcujhfebvcihefbcilhbvcihdsfv"
So...Characters dying make the adventure pointless....That`s basically my idea of what you said. Unchanged...Did you play RDR ??

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 07:22 AM
So...Characters dying make the adventure pointless....That`s basically my idea of what you said. Unchanged...Did you play RDR ??
Yes I played RDR (great game) SPOILER ALERT but that ending wasen't pointless. The adventure was building up to John or his family dying. Assassin's Creed felt out of nowhere, and made Desmonds journey feel pointless, because he didn't accomplish that much. John freed his family at the cost of his life, Ezio liberated Rome, and avenged his family. Even Altair changed the Assassin Order, but Desmond touched a orb. It wasen't THAT pointless, it's just his death felt out of nowhere. I'm a huge fan of sudden deaths, but not when they don't accomplish something. SPOILER ALERT 4 SONS OF ANARCHY Opie saved Jax, but in the process, made him more ruthless. GAME OF THRONES SPOILER Nedd's death threw the land further into chaos, causing Robb to retaliate. END SPOILER I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to show you my opinion and why I dislike the ending. SPOILER AGAIN Desmond did save the world, but him dying doesn't really matter.. He could've lived and the story can pan out mostly the same way. END SPOILER

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Yes I played RDR (great game) SPOILER ALERT but that ending wasen't pointless. The adventure was building up to John or his family dying. Assassin's Creed felt out of nowhere, and made Desmonds journey feel pointless, because he didn't accomplish that much. John freed his family at the cost of his life, Ezio liberated Rome, and avenged his family. Even Altair changed the Assassin Order, but Desmond touched a orb. It wasen't THAT pointless, it's just his death felt out of nowhere. I'm a huge fan of sudden deaths, but not when they don't accomplish something. SPOILER ALERT 4 SONS OF ANARCHY Opie saved Jax, but in the process, made him more ruthless. GAME OF THRONES SPOILER Nedd's death threw the land further into chaos, causing Robb to retaliate. END SPOILER I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to show you my opinion and why I dislike the ending. SPOILER AGAIN Desmond did save the world, but him dying doesn't really matter.. He could've lived and the story can pan out mostly the same way. END SPOILER
It`s not about arguing..I was not really to argue either, but you saying that Desmond died for nothing is wrong. I mean, he basically died to save the world, why is it pointless for Desmond and not pointless for Marston ? Both died for something in the end right ?? Why is it not pointless for Nedd (Even though his death did make some things worse, exactly like Desmond when he freed Juno) but pointless for Desmond ? I can understand you saying that perhaps you did not like because it came out of no where, but then you say that you`re all for sudden deaths.. and THUS......i`m confused xD

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 07:38 AM

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 07:43 AM
It`s not about arguing..I was not really to argue either, but you saying that Desmond died for nothing is wrong. I mean, he basically died to save the world, why is it pointless for Desmond and not pointless for Marston ? Both died for something in the end right ?? Why is it not pointless for Nedd (Even though his death did make some things worse, exactly like Desmond when he freed Juno) but pointless for Desmond ? I can understand you saying that perhaps you did not like because it came out of no where, but then you say that you`re all for sudden deaths.. and THUS......i`m confused xD
Sorry for double post, anyway Desmond's death wasen't built up. The reason I'm so displeased is because of the execution mostly. Desmond just died... They didn't NEED to kill him, and it didn't feel tragic, just rushed. It really felt like they were just trying to please the Desmond haters out there. I don't like sudden deaths FOR NO REASON and I don't like when things feel rushed. I'm not mad that he died, I'm mad that they did a bad job on his death.

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Sorry for double post, anyway Desmond's death wasen't built up. The reason I'm so displeased is because of the execution mostly. Desmond just died... They didn't NEED to kill him, and it didn't feel tragic, just rushed. It really felt like they were just trying to please the Desmond haters out there. I don't like sudden deaths FOR NO REASON and I don't like when things feel rushed. I'm not mad that he died, I'm mad that they did a bad job on his death.
MUCH clearer now:D

Underlined part is all I needed

Thanks

ToughGuy31
12-24-2012, 07:49 AM
MUCH clearer now:D

Underlined part is all I needed

Thanks
Your welcome.

PantherophisG
12-24-2012, 02:06 PM
It just felt unsatisfactory all around. It's like the end of the matrix 3. Why did it suck, because the end (only the end, I'm not going to bring the entire movie in here) SPOILER ALERT! Trinity dies after being revived in the last one, Neo loses making all that training to be a badass worthless, and the machines take care of the agents. SPOILER END Why have us learn about and care for the character, only to kill them off and making their journey pointless.

-SPOILERS-
It seems more and more companies are killing off the main character in their hit franchises. I can't speak for RDR but Resistance 2 had me reeling at the end when Hale was knocked off. But THAT one didn't feel rushed in the slightest. There was a build-up throughout the game that lead to the event and the act wasn't simply "Okay Hale dies. NEXT!" There was definitely tension there, regret, fear, and a sense of duty when Capelli says "It's been an honor sir." It was a completely different feel than Desmond's end.

ACfan443
12-28-2012, 12:06 AM
I know it's been talked about a lot, and also a bit late, but this video explains exactly why the ending was crap. Please take the time to watch, the guy has some great points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Hvoxw2n88

Assassin_M
12-28-2012, 12:13 AM
I know it's been talked about a lot, and also a bit late, but this video explains exactly why the ending was crap. Please take the time to watch, the guy has some great points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Hvoxw2n88
Stopped watching after he said "Execution" I know what comes next and I UNCONDITIONALLY agree with ALL OF IT.

He also looks like my Grandmother....Seriously..no joke

ACfan443
12-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Stopped watching after he said "Execution" I know what comes next and I UNCONDITIONALLY agree with ALL OF IT.

He also looks like my Grandmother....Seriously..no joke

Haha, I love the way he talks, he should be a politician :p

Assassin_M
12-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Haha, I love the way he talks, he should be a politician :p
Yeah I thought he was cool too:D Seems like a Knowledgeable fan of the series of too

Nice find. You may have just won him a few more subscribers..

ACfan443
12-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Yeah I thought he was cool too:D Seems like a Knowledgeable fan of the series of too

Nice find. You may have just won him a few more subscribers..

I found him through the ending analysis of mass effect 3...hahahaha.

Assassin_M
12-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I found him through the ending analysis of mass effect 3...hahahaha.
Really ? Huh...He must`v gone through a lot of crap then xD