PDA

View Full Version : New patch tomorrow and no mention of an FPS fix?

RevKrazy
12-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Am I missing something? IS this new patch coming out tomorrow really not fixing the fps problem?

Global Fixes

- Couriers will now appear more often in Boston and New York
- Fixed a bug where consumables would not be restored properly after playing a naval mission
- Fixed a bug where multiple copies of heralds or paper boys could be spawned at the same spot
- Fixed a bug where printer shops icons could appear on the map even if the player is not notorious
- Fixed a bug where the 2nd equipped pistol could disappear after a loading
- Fixed a bug where the player could fall through the map if he went through a city gate on horseback while in conflict
- Fixed a crash when the player uses the rope dart on a horse from above
- Fixed horse glitch
- Fixed inventory messages that kept being displayed after every reload if the player had completed some missions
- Fixed various crashes
- Forced subtitles to be displayed for off-camera voices like some tutorials and end of sequence transitions
- Made sure to stop tavern music when exiting taverns

SEQUENCE 1
- A DEADLY PERFORMANCE: fixed a music glitch by making a cinematic not skippable

SEQUENCE 4
- FEATHERS AND TREES : fixed another case where optional objective "Do not touch the ground or water" could fail for no good reason

SEQUENCE 6
- ON JOHNSON'S TRA IL: fixed a bug where sometimes Adams and Revere could be missing, preventing the player from starting the mission

SEQUENCE 7
- LEXINGTON AND CONCORD: fixed a bug where the player could stay stuck on the road while on horseback at a specific spot on the mission's path

EPILOGUE
- Fixed Animus Synching gameplay that could get stuck

Side Quests
- Boston Brawlers: clearer message after beating all ex-champions, stating that you need to go back to Boston
- Boston Underground: fixed a bug where exploded barrels could come back if you re-entered through the South Commons entrance.
- Boston Underground: fixed a bug where Haytham could never use the North Port entrance
- Liberation Missions: added unfogging of the map when the player gets near a liberation event, to make sure the icon will be revealed in case the player doesn't complete it and wants to come back later.
- New York Liberation Missions: fixed a few cases where the player could get to the event's icon but nothing would happen.
- New York Underground, fixed a bug where the player would be teleported at the center of New York if he declined to enter the underground through the South Market entrance.

Homestead
- Added map icons on Homestead buildings as you unlock new settlers
- Made sure Achilles cannot be stoking the fireplace after the homestead story arc is completed
- THE PROPER TOOLS: added map icons on all shops in New York when that mission asks the player to go buy the hammer parts for the blacksmith
- Side-quest "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE COMMON MAN", fixed a bug where the quest would still not be completed if the problem was already encountered prior to the last patch. Buggy savegames are now fixed on load.

Naval Locations
- OAK ISLAND: fixed a bug where the mission could not continue if the player reloads after completing some parts of the puzzle

Frontier
- Added auto-whistle for a horse when entering Frontier from Boston, New York or Homestead
- Fixed NPC committing suicide when the player approaches

Menus
- Fixed a bug where it was impossible to hide the on-screen money counter and "hold to skip" message. Money is now linked to the "mini-map" HUD visibility option, and the skip cinematic message to the "controls" option.
- Fixed a bug where the "Fast Travel Points Unlocked" stat could not reach 100%
- Fixed a possible crash after all pivots have been synched
- Fixed bad date formatting in Notification Center
- Fixed various typos and bad translations
- Made sure Boston Brawlers and Hunting Society icons are displayed over the fog once the player gets approached to join the club
- Map icon filters: added a bunch of side-quest start icons on the missions layer, added viewpoints to the collectibles layer, and made sure all fast travel destinations are visible on all layers.
- Opening the weapon, naval weapon and assassin recruits menus is now faster

Multiplayer

Modes
- Team modes balance is no longer affected when extra players join in progress.

Abilities
- Players are no longer stuck after they got hit by knives while climbing cranes.
- The Unstoppable Perk now correctly opens recently closed Chase Breakers in the Animus Core map.
- Closure now seals and opens Chase Breakers for the player who used the ability as intended.

Scoring
- Abstergo points now update correctly after you finished a game in the progression menu.

Locking
- Locked targets don’t become unavailable under certain conditions anymore.
- Players will now see the notorious lock indicator when their pursuers kill NPCs, regardless of their approach meter.
- In a chase, target players will now be able to lock their pursuer by default prior to any other character.

Misc
- It is now possible for players to reopen Chase Breakers right after their team mates went through them in the Animus Core map.
- The time during which you’re vulnerable after a stun from ground to a haystack doesn’t vary from one mode to another anymore.
- Players can no longer get killed by another player from any distance after performing a haystack kill.
- Players no longer get stuck in the position the character adopts on narrow ledges when they kill with the Fast Gun.
- Players will no longer see their pursuers as notorious when their pursuers are killed with the silent bonus or better.
- Characters appearance and Gamertags can no longer be accidentally reverted on Wolfpack podium staging.

McJobless
12-18-2012, 07:33 AM
The sticky was posted in the console forum. Apparently they have FPS issues there, but on the console that's a different issue because they're using lower graphics and Xbox/PS3 have controlled hardware, so presumably they won't be working on a fix for console owners.

It's possible they've got a fix for PC owners and didn't list it in the console forum so as not to make those guys complain, and it's what we all hope, but the likelyhood of it being there is extremely low. This is Ubisoft, remember.

Some confirmation from Mr_Shade or BlackWidow would be nice, seeing as they're the only 2 people in Ubisoft who've had the common decency to at least try talk to us.

Anykeyer
12-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Im not so sure we will even see this patch tomorrow...
And to be honest expecting them to "fix" fps is a little too much. I dont remember any developer to ever noticably increase fps after game's release. The only "bug" here is in too low specs listed on the back of the box.

RevKrazy
12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Im not so sure we will even see this patch tomorrow...
And to be honest expecting them to "fix" fps is a little too much. I dont remember any developer to ever noticably increase fps after game's release. The only "bug" here is in too low specs listed on the back of the box.

Are you saying that the FPS problem only applies to low end PC's? Because there was a 100 page thread in here that was recently closed with some beastly PC's suffering from massive FPS issues. I'm running an 6 core AMD with a HD 6950 and I get incredible FPS spikes with some under 30 within city. Surely that justifies a patch.

spectatorx
12-18-2012, 10:05 AM
GPU utilization (reason of problem) is fixable by ubisoft but will they? Unfortunately i doubt...

Let's do some reverse engineering... xD

bolz87
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't think this patch comes out for PC, but only for console :nonchalance: i don't know why there's a post also in PC forums :nonchalance::nonchalance:

Anykeyer
12-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Are you saying that the FPS problem only applies to low end PC's? Because there was a 100 page thread in here that was recently closed with some beastly PC's suffering from massive FPS issues. I'm running an 6 core AMD with a HD 6950 and I get incredible FPS spikes with some under 30 within city. Surely that justifies a patch.

Im not saying that it only applies to low end. It applies to everyone. But its unplayable only on some configurations. AMD CPUs usually perform badly in modern games, no matter how "hi end" they are (AMD abandoned this market long ago, starting to price even 8 cores lower than some mid-range Core i5). Lots of NPCs with improved "life simulation" AI and huge overdraw (when invisible geometry is still rendered, but for open space areas this is usually handled by GPU drivers, because classic engine-side culling approaches like BSP produce good results for indoor areas only) rates is what mostly affect fps. You cant reasonably expect them to do some magic and noticably increase fps without making big chages to the actual game. Its safe to say that rebulding cities is out of the question. They can lower draw distance or make LOD much more agressive (so everything will look like crap from >50m). Also I dont think "crowd density" setting from AC1 would work here, because AC1 mostly lacks NPC-to-NPC interactions while AC3 doesnt.

CipollaCreed
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Where's the "convoy under attack" fix?

sharkdrutt
12-18-2012, 11:19 AM
This patch is not out for PC.... like always....

toukoh
12-18-2012, 03:16 PM
if patch is for console only , why "DiiLite" create thread for "Hollydays patch" on "Assassin's Creed General Discussion (PC)"???

this is a jocke???? they test us?

(for information, "DiiLite" is Ubi Dev not simple user and is thread is official, sticky thread)

shop105A4BE29
12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
And the crossfire support??? Nothing?? Absurd...

sharkdrutt
12-18-2012, 03:26 PM
if patch is for console only , why "DiiLite" create thread for "Hollydays patch" on "Assassin's Creed General Discussion (PC)"???

this is a jocke???? they test us?

(for information, "DiiLite" is Ubi Dev not simple user and is thread is official, sticky thread)

I'm wondering this also....

They are trolling us?

toukoh
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm wondering this also....

They are trolling us?

Maybe, all this mess about AC3 PC is unreal, i think they play with us, that's so strange but i'm sur lot of player never buy anymore games to UBI (me first)
Even Activision and Treyarch don't do that

(sorry for my english)

EGYAhmed
12-18-2012, 03:49 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/739567-Assassin-s-Creed-3-Sequence-5-Boston-s-Most-Wanted
i hope they fix this bug too

anik_lc
12-18-2012, 04:11 PM
**** this! I still haven't finished AC III. Getting 60FPS all the time in Hitman: Absolution and just reached the final level of it after 21 hours of play. :D

AlexFili
12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Where's the "convoy under attack" fix?

I agree, my convoy is constantly "attacked" and cannot be recover. We need a 'reset/cancel convoy' option.

AjinkyaParuleka
12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
ACIII is badly optimized for PC,you get a lot more fps on Absolution with ultra settings,than you get on ACIII normal .

abohamed
12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
hey guys ... ubisoft support contact me again .. check this out :

Response John T. via Email 12/18/2012 07:35 AM
Hello abohamed

Thank you for contacting Ubisoft Technical Support regarding Assassin's Creed 3.
In order to respond to this email, please update this incident (Please do not create a new incident).

That is still currently in testing so I am unable to provide a release date but we are working as fast as possible.

If you have any further queries or issues please do not hesitate to contact us again and we will assist you further.

Kind Regards,
John
Ubisoft Technical Support.

I CAN NOT WAIT

SixKeys
12-18-2012, 06:42 PM
hey guys ... ubisoft support contact me again .. check this out :

Response John T. via Email 12/18/2012 07:35 AM
Hello abohamed

Thank you for contacting Ubisoft Technical Support regarding Assassin's Creed 3.
In order to respond to this email, please update this incident (Please do not create a new incident).

That is still currently in testing so I am unable to provide a release date but we are working as fast as possible.

If you have any further queries or issues please do not hesitate to contact us again and we will assist you further.

Kind Regards,
John
Ubisoft Technical Support.

I CAN NOT WAIT

So they release an official sticky thread on the PC forums telling us a new patch is available and the official Support answer is "the patch is still in testing and we can't tell when it'll be out"?

Hahahahaha, I just can't even with this company anymore. :D

Arc2202
12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Maybe it will fix the rainbow hair bug....or has that been confirmed to be a problem on the side of the processor people not ubisoft??

UbiHawk1ns
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, I want to get up with everyone and see if I can start to troubleshoot and figure out what can be causing this. Low FPS in general is a very broad issue which can be caused by so many things including but not limited to: PC hardware specs, running system processes, driver software, network performance, etc. I am going to post a checklist of sorts. I would like everyone that is having an issue with Low FPS to follow these steps and personally answer these questions relating to your own system. If everything matches, and you are still having the issue, please get back to me. Also, if anyone has been able to improve their FPS performance, please post with your methods.

Is your current video card over-clocked? If so, this may be causing the issue you are having. Make sure that you revert the card back to the factory settings and launch the game again. Also, if your card has Crossfire SLI try disabling it and see if that helps.

For some players, also switching to Direct X 9 seems to fix the issue as well.

Are you using more than 1 video card? There may be an issue with multiple cards and you can try disabling one of your cards to see if it fixes the issue for you as well.

Are you using more than 1 monitor. If so, try disabling one of your monitors and simply use just 1.

Have you tried adjusting your voltage and your PC fan's speed?

Here is some information on possible steps to improve your performance using your current graphics card:

Nvidia users :
• Should use official 310.70 drivers for optimal perf (no longer need the beta driver)
• SLI should be disabled for now, we are working with NV to provide a SLI profile asap
• Users experiencing the disco-colored hair issue should make sure to use the 1.01 version of the game
o Some cards still have the issue with 1.01, in particular the GTS 250. We will fix this in the upcoming patch (with the TU4 fixes). We will also expose the workaround flag in the .ini file, so that users can enable it themselves if we’ve missed other problematic cards.

AMD users:
• *MUST ABSOLUTELY* use at least the 12.11 BETA8 drivers (12.11 BETA11 drivers are also ok). Anything lower will result in erratic framerate and stuttering.
• Crossfire should be disabled. It has a big negative impact on performance at the moment. We are working with AMD to provide a Xfire profile asap.

Performance tips:

This game is a very CPU intensive game to begin with and the “Environment quality” option only makes it more demanding.
• On the “Very High” setting, the rendered surface area is twice as big as on console and the objects are 4 times more detailed.
• Users whose systems don’t have cutting-edge CPUs or that want higher framerates should consider bringing this setting down a notch.

On the GPU side:
• “AA quality” will most affect performance. Using the “Very High” or “TXAA” settings will enabled 4x MSAA, which will require beefy GPUs, especially as resolutions go up.
• “Shadow quality” will also affect performance when on “Very High”, as the shadow filtering is quite sophisticated at that setting.

Crazybone992
12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Omg thx so much Hawk1ns24. I gained a lot of fps by forcing the game to run in DX 9 mode. It's still laggy but it's a lot better compared to the fps I had before. I was even able to improve the graphics settings above those used in the console versions without loosing much fps. Previously this game was painful to play in major cities, especially during combat (low fps made counter attacking and blocking the enemy attacks more difficult than they are). But it's still far from perfect, so we definitely need a patch! I also noticed that disabling the Uplay overlay gives a slight fps boost. And remember to change the Assassin3.ini file to read only after you save the Graphics_DX9 setting or otherwise it doesn't work.

UbiHawk1ns
12-18-2012, 09:52 PM
You are more than welcome. I am glad that you were able to partially resolve the issue. I would like to hear from other players as well, so if anyone else is able to implement the steps I listed, please post back stating your results - whether you had any improvement or not. Hoping to get some good feedback on this.

medavroog
12-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I would like to hear from other players as well.

So, the 1.03 patch is already out for the consoles...and since the information of the 1.03 patch is posted on the PC-Version forum here...when will we get the update?

spectatorx
12-18-2012, 10:23 PM
@Hawk1ns24, how to force dx9 mode in single player? I know multiplayer is dx9 only. Modifying the ini file didn't force dx9, game is still dx11, even when i mark ini file as "read only".

P.S.
Finally after all our shouts here and closed threads someone from ubisoft who is not moderator came in here and is constructively involved in discussion with users, that's a good start, let's see how long it will endure like this.

sharkdrutt
12-18-2012, 11:25 PM
You are more than welcome. I am glad that you were able to partially resolve the issue. I would like to hear from other players as well, so if anyone else is able to implement the steps I listed, please post back stating your results - whether you had any improvement or not. Hoping to get some good feedback on this.

When are we getting the patch for the PC????

Perk5
12-18-2012, 11:31 PM
The game for whatever reason, had major issues that involved stuttering and frequent crashes initially while running on my factory overclocked GTX 570 (EVGA SC edition).

Underclocking or even overclocking the card (applying more voltage, but I found less works as well) and adjusting the core clock to the reference state fixed that for me.

As for FPS issues, like everyone else here, I had major drops in the cities where the game was reduced to a slideshow.

My solution was to turn down all the in-game settings to Normal, except Texture Quality which I found had no discernible impact on the framerate (left it on High). The biggest performance hit definitely came from the Environmental Quality setting. On High or Very High, the game was unplayable, turning it down to normal and I almost have a butter smooth 60 fps. I realize the crowd here want to play on the highest settings with no compromises, but I just don't think it's possible at the moment without a patch.

Also, SLI didn't work for me. It produced negative scaling and actually increased the stuttering. So I made sure I disabled it.

Limited the framerate to 60 fps and used a 60hz refresh rate with vsync forced on and the game was 95% smooth (save for some very minor stuttering). I posted this in another thread but I guess a lot of people are having performance issues even on the lowest settings.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone, the game still looks awesome even on Normal settings. To be honest, I could barely tell the difference between the three (Normal, High, Very High). For reference my specs are: i5 2500k, 12gb DDR3, GTX 570SLI.

I definitely agree it needs to be patched though.

Boemundus
12-19-2012, 12:14 AM
@Hawk1ns24

what about the missing music bug after DLC installed?

Razrback16
12-19-2012, 12:20 AM
When are we getting the patch for the PC????

Just came in here to ask the same question. :)

UbiHawk1ns
12-19-2012, 12:22 AM
I wish I had a date for you guys, but our dev teams are working on future updates to the game. Once further information is obtained, we will most certainly update you all.

LambertoKevlar
12-19-2012, 12:26 AM
How can we use dx9?However, please, solve the issue with this patc..It's almost a month.Thanks for your presence but don't go away.:)

Boemundus
12-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Please Hawk1ns24,

can you tell us if the "missing music bug" (regarding the DLC "hidden secrets"), which is game-breaking and well known and verified by the community, will be addressed in the upcoming patch?
Hundreds of people (at least every DLC owner) are waiting only for this info

Thank you very much

BzkGB
12-19-2012, 01:01 AM
I wish I had a date for you guys, but our dev teams are working on future updates to the game. Once further information is obtained, we will most certainly update you all.

Thanks for the update.

Just to clarify though; the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 have gotten the newest patch - but you have no ETA on the same patch coming to PC because the devs are working on other updates? Well, that's kindof a bummer. PC market always seems to get shafted.

jhewt.sp
12-19-2012, 01:09 AM
AMD users:
• *MUST ABSOLUTELY* use at least the 12.11 BETA8 drivers (12.11 BETA11 drivers are also ok). Anything lower will result in erratic framerate and stuttering.
I've a HD 4890, the last driver is 12.6 for this series.

UbiHawk1ns
12-19-2012, 01:14 AM
PC market always seems to get shafted.

This is not the case at all. We most certainly want all players, no matter what platform to have an awesome gaming experience. There are updates in development for all platforms, it is just a matter of time before they are released. I wish I had more for you but I do not. Like I have stated before, these things take time. Please bear with us until that time comes and we will get as much information to everyone as soon as it is available.

iNvid22
12-19-2012, 01:30 AM
im testing out what you suggested hawk, will post results in a few

LambertoKevlar
12-19-2012, 01:31 AM
This is not the case at all. We most certainly want all players, no matter what platform to have an awesome gaming experience. There are updates in development for all platforms, it is just a matter of time before they are released. I wish I had more for you but I do not. Like I have stated before, these things take time. Please bear with us until that time comes and we will get as much information to everyone as soon as it comes in.

how can i use dx9?

UbiHawk1ns
12-19-2012, 01:49 AM
how can i use dx9?

Navigate to the Documents folder on your system - inside there should be an Assassin's Creed III folder. Inside that folder, you will find an Assassins3.ini file. Open that file with Notepap and edit the first line to say "[Graphics_DX9]" instead of DX11.

eburkman
12-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Hey guys, I want to get up with everyone and see if I can start to troubleshoot and figure out what can be causing this. Low FPS in general is a very broad issue which can be caused by so many things including but not limited to: PC hardware specs, running system processes, driver software, network performance, etc. I am going to post a checklist of sorts. I would like everyone that is having an issue with Low FPS to follow these steps and personally answer these questions relating to your own system. If everything matches, and you are still having the issue, please get back to me. Also, if anyone has been able to improve their FPS performance, please post with your methods.

Is your current video card over-clocked? If so, this may be causing the issue you are having. Make sure that you revert the card back to the factory settings and launch the game again. Also, if your card has Crossfire SLI try disabling it and see if that helps.

Are you using more than 1 video card? There may be an issue with multiple cards and you can try disabling one of your cards to see if it fixes the issue for you as well.

Are you using more than 1 monitor. If so, try disabling one of your monitors and simply use just 1.

Here is some information on possible steps to improve your performance using your current graphics card:

Nvidia users :
• Should use official 310.70 drivers for optimal perf (no longer need the beta driver)
• SLI should be disabled for now, we are working with NV to provide a SLI profile asap
• Users experiencing the disco-colored hair issue should make sure to use the 1.01 version of the game
o Some cards still have the issue with 1.01, in particular the GTS 250. We will fix this in the upcoming patch (with the TU4 fixes). We will also expose the workaround flag in the .ini file, so that users can enable it themselves if we’ve missed other problematic cards.

AMD users:
• Crossfire should be disabled. It has a big negative impact on performance at the moment. We are working with AMD to provide a Xfire profile asap.

Performance tips:

This game is a very CPU intensive game to begin with and the “Environment quality” option only makes it more demanding.
• On the “Very High” setting, the rendered surface area is twice as big as on console and the objects are 4 times more detailed.
• Users whose systems don’t have cutting-edge CPUs or that want higher framerates should consider bringing this setting down a notch.

On the GPU side:
• “AA quality” will most affect performance. Using the “Very High” or “TXAA” settings will enabled 4x MSAA, which will require beefy GPUs, especially as resolutions go up.
• “Shadow quality” will also affect performance when on “Very High”, as the shadow filtering is quite sophisticated at that setting.

Thank you for updating the community. I have tried all things you have posted and things that were sent to me from support when I sent in my ticket. All my hardware is at factory settings and while I am playing nothing overheats. My system is intel core 2 quad Q9450 2.66ghz, 2GB GTX 560, 8GB of ram running windows 7 x64 home. My monitor resolution is 1600x900. I just find it hard to believe that my system cannot run this game at 40-60 fps consistantly. all of my settings are turned down and I am still having issues. Thanks for the support.

BzkGB
12-19-2012, 02:06 AM
This is not the case at all. We most certainly want all players, no matter what platform to have an awesome gaming experience. There are updates in development for all platforms, it is just a matter of time before they are released. I wish I had more for you but I do not. Like I have stated before, these things take time. Please bear with us until that time comes and we will get as much information to everyone as soon as it is available.

Well I appreciate the response, thank you. However I don't want you to take what I said the wrong way - what I meant was; could you explain why the consoles have already gotten the newest patch (1.03 I believe), but PC has not? As far as I'm aware Sony and Microsoft have a fairly long certification process for DLC/patches, whereas PC does not. Is it at all possible that the PC version of the patch could contain something additional such as an FPS fix - and that's what is causing its delay?

iNvid22
12-19-2012, 02:09 AM
SYSTEM:

i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz
GTX 690
16GB RAM
310.70 Drivers
1080p Res with Max Settings except aa on high (no txaa) and environment quality set to high

RESULTS:

Disabling SLI = No Difference
Disabling Any GPU Overclocks = No Difference
Disabling SLI + Any GPU Overclocks = No Difference

Switching to DX9 = Despite editing the INI file the game still seems to boot into DX11, at least that is what an onscreen display utility is telling me. So i was unable to test DX9 mode. Changing the INI file to read only didnt work either. Looks like badroz is correct, the game resets to DX11 upon launch.

THOUGHTS:

The game still drops on occasion all over Boston, usually to 50-55 and rarely to 40-45. This might sound reasonable but look at my system. If a top CPU from 2011 and the current top GPU cannot achieve a stable 60 (without maximum settings - txaa was off and ev quality was high) then there is something terribly wrong. People with more standard systems are suffering the most, the game becomes a slideshow at times for them

UbiKiev should be made aware that this is a very real issue affecting pretty much everyone. I thought they might have learned their lesson with the ghost recon future soldier pc fiasco a few months back but they have done it again. Some new drivers should provide the usual minor performance boost but it wont be anywhere near enough - just like all of these suggestions you've put forward hawk. This is future soldier all over again, the sooner you realize that the better. There is something wrong with the core game that is causing this - the only solution is for UbiKiev to determine what it is and issue a patch.

AC Revelations had similar issues at launch around the docks area where FPS would suffer on all setups. A patch resolved this eventually. UbiKiev ported that game to PC as well....

Also, just in case the Ubi executive team decides to spin this as only affecting pirate copies or something as equally crazy lol - im a paying customer

http://www.abload.de/img/sshot114jhz.png

badroz
12-19-2012, 02:20 AM
Navigate to the Documents folder on your system - inside there should be an Assassin's Creed III folder. Inside that folder, you will find an Assassins3.ini file. Open that file with Notepap and edit the first line to say "[Graphics_DX9]" instead of DX11.

be careful bro publishing a wrong\misleading info might cost u ur job if the quality managers were paying a good attention around here, changing DX11 to DX10\ 9 through the ini file is not even applicable , the game's automatically restores its settings back to DX11 each time it get launched , yea u r welcome :)

NicoParasite
12-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Cmon Ubi,i mean i totally support you and your games and i DEEPLY love Assassin´s Creed but this is getting annoying. The Aquila at 2% upgrade bug,the double pistol bug,the monmouth fast travel point not showing up,etc please fix this for pc!!!!

UbiHawk1ns
12-19-2012, 04:01 AM
I will see what I can find out for you guys. I will get back to you when I have some more information on the DX change.

Anykeyer
12-19-2012, 06:03 AM
changing DX11 to DX10\ 9 through the ini file is not even applicable , the game's automatically restores its settings back to DX11 each time it get launched , yea u r welcome :)

I would be surprised to see it works. After all its just a section's name, not actual variable you can set.

RyanEBlack
12-19-2012, 06:52 AM

Nvidia users :

AMD users:

Performance tips:

On the GPU side:

Its not a CPU intensive game, its just only utilizing one core.

I have:

2500K@4.5 GHz
8GB RAM
Win 7 64

I have a really fast, capable processor, the fastest single GPU on the market today and the game is only using about 70-80% of my GPU causing the game to only have 30-50FPS at 1920x1080. The engine on PC is broken. I've submitted Dxdiag files to Ubi Support so hopefully a patch gets released soon.

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1173703/

That's what my GPU usage looks like during Assassin's Creed III. It should not fluctuate, at all. 99% at all times, like every other game I play. I've also tried with stock GPU settings, same thing. Its not hardware, its not software/drivers (everything is up-to-date). When this is the only game in my Steam library of over 120 titles that causes horrible performance, something is definitely wrong.

RevKrazy
12-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Im not saying that it only applies to low end. It applies to everyone. But its unplayable only on some configurations. AMD CPUs usually perform badly in modern games, no matter how "hi end" they are (AMD abandoned this market long ago, starting to price even 8 cores lower than some mid-range Core i5). Lots of NPCs with improved "life simulation" AI and huge overdraw (when invisible geometry is still rendered, but for open space areas this is usually handled by GPU drivers, because classic engine-side culling approaches like BSP produce good results for indoor areas only) rates is what mostly affect fps. You cant reasonably expect them to do some magic and noticably increase fps without making big chages to the actual game. Its safe to say that rebulding cities is out of the question. They can lower draw distance or make LOD much more agressive (so everything will look like crap from >50m). Also I dont think "crowd density" setting from AC1 would work here, because AC1 mostly lacks NPC-to-NPC interactions while AC3 doesnt.

OK I get your point and I agree it isn't unplayable.

But it's still really annoying and I don't think it should be considered acceptable by the PC crowd. Really any fan base regardless of the platform.

stonez11
12-19-2012, 07:29 AM
I have been waiting since release for a fps fix to this game. I can play every other game far cry 3 on max settings with draw distance on max. Was hoping to actually play this before the year is over but guess not.

RevKrazy
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM

I appreciate your suggestions but even with the game at the lowest possible settings I can't get a solid FPS. I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T with a 2GB HD 6950 8 gb ram. If my setup isnt enough to get a constant 45+ FPS then what kind of setup is needed to run this game properly? I have tried the new AMD beta drivers, I have used over clocked and stocked settings, I have spent HOURS messing with the INI file. None of these are great solutions that give me a steady FPS.

My FPS issues relate directly to getting incredible spike in certain area's. Some spikes dropping under 30 fps. I will admit I don't have the best specs on the market but this is the only game I have ever had issues like this. I know you says the FPS issues is a broad statement but it's not localized in one general area. It's the biggest affected areas are in town but the spikes can be seen every where with the exception of the Desmond missions. I can be in town looking straight forward getting 28 fps then run to down a road and get 40 fps then turn a corner and get 28 fps.

There's really seems to be a software issue here.

I know you are doing your job the best that you can with the information you have or allowed to release. But an official statement with an ETA I think would please a lot of fans experiencing these issues.

BTW Keeping the DX9 settings in the INI is possible if you do not change the graphic settings once you have launched the game. However I have no clue if it's actually running DX9. What I do know is when I was running this setting its lowers all other graphic settings to normal.

LambertoKevlar
12-19-2012, 09:23 AM
sorru but don't work

spectatorx
12-19-2012, 09:36 AM
@ Hawk1ns24, as i know game is dx11-only so it is impossible to force any previous dx in it.

So we still have no any workarounds until patch will be released.

bolz87
12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
as i know game is dx11-only
It's impossible! If you read system requirements, 8800GT is supported, and it's NOT a DX11 video card :nonchalance:

Boemundus
12-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Changed first line in .ini file to DX10 and gained 15-20 fps in Boston. Someone says this is not possible, but my Fraps tells me otherwise. Anyway, I don't know if changing to DX10 lowers graphic datails and effects as well.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Game is NOT DX11 only. It has both DX10 and 11.

Anykeyer
12-19-2012, 11:39 AM
This game is DX11-only. There is a difference between DX11 API and DX11 hardware. While this game can only use DX11 it does not require any new DX11 hardware features.
8800GT does not supporrt all DX11 features in hardware, but its current driver supports DX11 calls.

Changed first line in .ini file to DX10 and gained 15-20 fps in Boston. Someone says this is not possible, but my Fraps tells me otherwise. Anyway, I don't know if changing to DX10 lowers graphic datails and effects as well.
Basically you reset settings to default by doing so. Most likely game does not even look into your DX10 config section, and since DX11 section does not exits it means all values reset to defaults.

Boemundus
12-19-2012, 11:42 AM
This game is DX11-only. There is a difference between DX11 API and DX11 hardware. While this game can only use DX11 it does not require any new DX11 hardware features.
8800GT does not supporrt all DX11 features in hardware, but its current driver supports DX11 calls.

Basically you reset settings to default by doing so. Most likely game does not even look into your DX10 config section, and since DX11 section does not exits it means all values reset to defaults.

But my in-game setting remain all set to high/very high... Do you mean that the game plays on low settings even if I see otherwise?

Anykeyer
12-19-2012, 11:47 AM
But my in-game setting remain all set to high/very high... Do you mean that the game plays on low settings even if I see otherwise?

Unlikely, looks like it just defaults to high on your system. Install MSI Afterburner and enable FPS OSD display. It will tel you exactly what API game uses.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM

The game has Tessellation, which is a DX11 only feature. It requires DX11 hardware if its DX11 only since DX10 cannot tessellate. And I cannot see any option to disable Tessellation in the menu or config.

Anykeyer
12-19-2012, 12:07 PM
And? It works without tesselation just fine. But it still uses DX11 API even on DX10 hardware. Really, its so easy to check I dont know why you try to argue.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2012, 12:11 PM
And? It works without tesselation just fine. But it still uses DX11 API even on DX10 hardware. Really, its so easy to check I dont know why you try to argue.
Do you have a DX10 card?
If you don't then you can't tell if the game has DX10 since there doesn't seem to be a way to switch DX at will.

Anykeyer
12-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Its easy to check what DLLs this game's exe is linked against.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Its easy to check what DLLs this game's exe is linked against.
Yeah well DX10 and 11 share similarities but eitherway, it's a pretty dumb decision to make Singleplayer not have DX9 while MP has it.

Anykeyer
12-19-2012, 12:30 PM
MP uses different engine branch ever since ACB. Its safe to say that AC3 MP isnt based on Anvil Next.

Crazybone992
12-19-2012, 01:12 PM
be careful bro publishing a wrong\misleading info might cost u ur job if the quality managers were paying a good attention around here, changing DX11 to DX10\ 9 through the ini file is not even applicable , the game's automatically restores its settings back to DX11 each time it get launched , yea u r welcome :)
It worked for me. For some reason my game didn't restore the setting back to DX11 and now it boots always in DX9 mode.

Boemundus
12-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Ok, they were right. After I installed MSI afterburner and enabled to show FPS (which also shows d3d version), I can confirm that the game runs always in DX11 , changing the value in the .ini file just resets the graphic settings to normal.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Ok, they were right. After I installed MSI afterburner and enabled to show FPS (which also shows d3d version), I can confirm that the game runs always in DX11 , changing the value in the .ini file just resets the graphic settings to normal.
Yeah you cannot change DX11 to 10 from there it's not a switch.

Tim_Skijwalker
12-19-2012, 02:50 PM

I think you misunderstand..
at the moment I can't play ACIII the way it's supposed to be... there is no music,... and a lot of dialogue is missing because of your DLC file

this should have been fixed before the DLC released.. but now (almost 2 weeks later) we are still waiting for a patch + we barely get a reply from devs.

it pains me to see this from a Triple A company

sharkdrutt
12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Wait until Noctalya (automatic generated response auto bot from Star trek) comes here to write:

<bzzzz> <beeep> Hi, thank you, everything is all right...<prrrrrr>

Like the AC R thread : the mp not working for pc users, and writing solved....!

hitman47222
12-19-2012, 03:52 PM
So when is the update coming out for PC?

Boemundus
12-19-2012, 04:03 PM
So when is the update coming out for PC?

after mayan apocalypse

UbiHawk1ns
12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone, I greatly appreciate all of the responses and input. I am still working on collecting the data and finding possible resolutions.

As far as changing to DX9, the prior instructions given do work, you must change the file properties to Read-Only after saving the change:

Navigate to the Documents folder on your system - inside there should be an Assassin's Creed III folder. Inside that folder, you will find an Assassins3.ini file. Open that file with Notepap and edit the first line to say "[Graphics_DX9]" instead of DX11. Close it and right click on the file itself to access the Properties menu. In the Attributes section at the bottom of the General Tab, enable the Read Only option by filling the check box beside it. Click Ok.

Try this and let me know what you find.

DrDissapear
12-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the reply Hawk1ns,

As far as changing to DX9 via your instructions, that does work for me, but doesn't positively impact FPS performance in any measurable way as far as I can tell.

abohamed
12-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Hey everyone, I greatly appreciate all of the responses and input. I am still working on collecting the data and finding possible resolutions.

As far as changing to DX9, the prior instructions given do work, you must change the file properties to Read-Only after saving the change:

Navigate to the Documents folder on your system - inside there should be an Assassin's Creed III folder. Inside that folder, you will find an Assassins3.ini file. Open that file with Notepap and edit the first line to say "[Graphics_DX9]" instead of DX11. Close it and right click on the file itself to access the Properties menu. In the Attributes section at the bottom of the General Tab, enable the Read Only option by filling the check box beside it. Click Ok.

big thanks for you man for contact us we are really appreciate it but i must make this clear : we have already try every trick in the book ( but if you have a new tricks please tell us :D ) included that one and it did not work for us and i mean by us : all PC users that have FPS low/drop problem .. so we wait for a patch or AMD driver ( just like nvidia guys already did ) to fix this EPIC PROBLEM for more than month now and guess what .. nothing until now !! so please Hawk1ns24 (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1369361-Hawk1ns24) help us and thanks again for trying to help us

wongjoebon
12-21-2012, 12:24 AM
I dont mind the wait, if it is 2013 then so be it. BUT will this fix up all this crashing issues and will this prevent us losing our save game during crash? Its a pain to say but I am playing on Seq 3 for the 4th time now!!!

UbiHawk1ns
12-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Unfortunately, I do not have any specific information pertaining to future patches. I do know that they are hard at work on updates, but we do not receive patch notes until they are actually released. I will certainly try to help in any way I can though.

abohamed
12-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Unfortunately, I do not have any specific information pertaining to future patches. I do know that they are hard at work on updates, but we do not receive patch notes until they are actually released. I will certainly try to help in any way I can though.

thank you so much

cico_thebest69
12-21-2012, 01:54 AM
So when PC update will come out?

Pleasefixmyacc
12-21-2012, 12:49 PM
2 Months probably. Then 4 months for champion packs and w/e packs that should've been given at the same time as the rest of the community.
Lessons learned.

YazX_
12-21-2012, 02:18 PM

oO, SLI is working fine on my rig since release date and there is a profile, and NO its not one card just sitting doing nothing.

avg FPS 50, all game graphics settings are maxed out and SLI profile main settings are set to: 16x SLI CSAA , 2x SLI MSAA, 16x AF. resolution is 1920x1080

Boemundus
12-21-2012, 02:49 PM
is there a chance the patch will be released before Christmas?

sharkdrutt
12-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I highly doubt it....Ubisoft was so scared it was teh end of the world...that they left the building yelling around...

Improvizor
12-21-2012, 06:31 PM

I don't think this works. FPS is the same and MSI Afterburner OSD still says D3D11. A shame really. Multiplayer works just fine. It says D3D9 on MP, and it never drops under 55fps, settings maxed out. Though I rarely get to play MP because of my ****ty connection. Not the fault of Ubisoft in any way, I just need a new router.

Anykeyer
12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
New patch tomorrow?
:cool:
How exciting (c)

Wait... LOL

sharkdrutt
12-21-2012, 07:30 PM
PATCH TOMORROW????

oh my god!!!!!

If they continue like this ....we should make the patch OURSELFS! I'm sure there are better programmers around here, amongst us!

JohnValar
12-21-2012, 09:53 PM
I will not buy any game from them until they fix that fps issue.