PDA

View Full Version : Ubi deserves more praise for the frontier

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
The more I run around in the frontier the more impressed I get. Ubi has really done something extraordinary with this climbable frontier. I mean many games have beautiful forests (Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Crysis are some of them), but none come even close to being this interactive. I think many developers have believed it to be imposssible. A forest just has too many irregular shapes for it to work and at the same time look natural. Well the geniuses at UBi figured it out.

By identifying some key shapes (like the 'V' and the 'Crack') and having the right amount of restrictions on the player they were able to pull it off. Is it perfect? No, of course not. Nothing innovative is ever perfect. But it's the best anyone has ever done by far. Think about all the genres and games that would benefit from a similar system. Fantasy, Medieval, Guerilla warfare etc. This is a breakthrough and Ubi deserves a ton more credit than what they have got for it.

I think one of the reasons people are not as impressed as they should be is that it feels so simple and natural in hindsight. But if you think about what existed before and what others have been able to achieve it's clear that it was far from simple. Taking something as complex as a forest and make the abstraction to figure out what type of shapes you need to recreate it in a videogame is just brilliant and the greatest achievement in 2012!

BTW I will never be able to look at a tree in the same way again. I just keep seeing all those V-shapes that I never noticed before :cool:!

AjinkyaParuleka
12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
BTW I will never be able to look at a tree in the same way again. I just keep seeing all those V-shapes that I never noticed before :cool:!
This lol,I am now notifying trees which were climbing,I deemed them unclimbable before ACIII.And weird thing...I didn't encounter a bug o.O

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 02:59 PM
I just love tree-running thru the frontier. Especially during a thundershower. So kudos indeed to Ubi. And yes, I now see those V shapes whenever I see a tree, and I think: where am I gonna jump from there? :D

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I just love tree-running thru the frontier. Especially during a thundershower. So kudos indeed to Ubi. And yes, I now see those V shapes whenever I see a tree, and I think: where am I gonna jump from there? :D

Yeah the thundershower is amazing :). I never get tired of goofing around Blackcreek in the rain. I was lucky enough to have thunder when I assaulted the fort there from the trees. One of the most epic moments ever in AC for me.

And yeah those V-shapes are driving me nuts. When I look out my windows there are a bunch of trees. And I just keep seeing how perfect it would be to jump from one to the other. But I know that if I tried I would break my legs lol.

AjinkyaParuleka
12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
My friend's building has tree which has a V shaped and is climbable...gonna stay in there for a while.And yeah ACIII deserves more...wonder why it didn't got nominated for Best PC games.

TrueAssassin77
12-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Some people don't release just how revolutionary the frontier is. And ubi went the extra mile and made it interactive. Climbing trees and such.

There is a actual good reason why the game is buggy to some.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Btw I hope the Brazil rumours are true. Imagine exploring a rainforest as Connor :eek:!!!

MasterAssasin84
12-17-2012, 03:05 PM
The more I run around in the frontier the more impressed I get. Ubi has really done something extraordinary with this climbable frontier. I mean many games have beautiful forests (Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Crysis are some of them), but none come even close to being this interactive. I think many developers have believed it to be imposssible. A forest just has too many irregular shapes for it to work and at the same time look natural. Well the geniuses at UBi figured it out.

By identifying some key shapes (like the 'V' and the 'Crack') and having the right amount of restrictions on the player they were able to pull it off. Is it perfect? No, of course not. Nothing innovative is ever perfect. But it's the best anyone has ever done by far. Think about all the genres and games that would benefit from a similar system. Fantasy, Medieval, Guerilla warfare etc. This is a breakthrough and Ubi deserves a ton more credit than what they have got for it.

I think one of the reasons people are not as impressed as they should be is that it feels so simple and natural in hindsight. But if you think about what existed before and what others have been able to achieve it's clear that it was far from simple. Taking something as complex as a forest and make the abstraction to figure out what type of shapes you need to recreate it in a videogame is just brilliant and the greatest achievement in 2012!

i am with you , i have said along ubi should be given a pat on the back !! unfortunately you cant please some people .

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I certainly hope they don't ditch the forest mechanism in the next game.. so much work to make it happen, and then simply abandon it.. no fair. :(

I do hope Connor goes next in an area that has a good amount of forests. Brazil for example xD

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Some people don't release just how revolutionary the frontier is. And ubi went the extra mile and made it interactive. Climbing trees and such.

There is a actual good reason why the game is buggy to some.

The game is far from perfect and there are plenty of thing you can legitimately criticize. But yeah people focus waaaaaay to much on the negative. Ubi really took a risk with the frontier and it payed off imo. And I agree, I much rather have a risk-taking buggy game, than a safe bugfree game!

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah the thundershower is amazing :). I never get tired of goofing around Blackcreek in the rain. I was lucky enough to have thunder when I assaulted the fort there from the trees. One of the most epic moments ever in AC for me.

LOL I also had a thundershower during my Black Creek fort assault lol. It makes the assault all that more epic: Its raining hart, and Connor silently climbs up that tree branch and like a predator drops down upon the Fort Captain.. :D

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I certainly hope they don't ditch the forest mechanism in the next game.. so much work to make it happen, and then simply abandon it.. no fair. :(

I do hope Connor goes next in an area that has a good amount of forests. Brazil for example xD

I really hope htey understand what a gem they have created, that's why I'm posting this to do what I can to help :). To be honest I wouldn't mind a game that just took place in the forest, with perhaps a couple of villages. I don't want all future AC games to be like that, but one could be interesting. Like Brazil!

MasterAssasin84
12-17-2012, 03:11 PM
I really hope htey understand what a gem they have created, that's why I'm posting this to do what I can to help :). To be honest I wouldn't mind a game that just took place in the forest, with perhaps a couple of villages. I don't want all future AC games to be like that, but one could be interesting. Like Brazil!

The Amazon Rainforest prehaps - thats what i love about Assassins creed the possiblities are limitless.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
LOL I also had a thundershower during my Black Creek fort assault lol. It makes the assault all that more epic: Its raining hart, and Connor silently climbs up that tree branch and like a predator drops down upon the Fort Captain.. :D

OMG that was soo amazing :D!!! It captures everything that makes me love this franchise so much!

Oh and I never get tired of ropedarting a guard and then kill his squad, or tracking a convoy through the tree tops and then strike :cool:!

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
thats what i love about Assassins creed the possiblities are limitless.

Indeed. They can take the series anywhere they want in space and time. That's why AC will always remain a unique series for me.

kuled2012
12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Btw I hope the Brazil rumours are true. Imagine exploring a rainforest as Connor :eek:!!!Through the amazon :D

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Through the amazon :D

Time to find that canoe that went missing from AC3!

DrBlutengott
12-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Y'know, Feudal Era Japan has lots of trees and rocks and things that could be climbed by (female) assassins. Just saying.

thekarlone
12-17-2012, 03:55 PM
The Frontier is very well done, BUT I prefer cities.

TOMatXL
12-17-2012, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE= Taking something as complex as a forest and make the abstraction to figure out what type of shapes you need to recreate it in a videogame is just brilliant and the greatest achievement in 2012!
[/QUOTE]

And applying the main seasons to it with the included weather effect are indeed stunning! And as all this looks very good on our ederly consoles, imagine what the AnvilNext engine block will bring during the upcoming Console Wars II ;) ;) I'm at least very eager to find out...

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Y'know, Feudal Era Japan has lots of trees and rocks and things that could be climbed by (female) assassins. Just saying.

Haha nice little hint ;)

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 05:06 PM
And applying the main seasons to it with the included weather effect are indeed stunning! And as all this looks very good on our ederly consoles, imagine what the AnvilNext engine block will bring during the upcoming Console Wars II ;) ;) I'm at least very eager to find out...

I agree, Assassin's Creed is the franchise I'm most eager to see what will happen to next gen. The future is always bright in gaming :)!

lothario-da-be
12-17-2012, 05:07 PM
when the next-gen consoles will come, this engine with the tree-running and wheather changes wil show their full potential and stun us all

EaglePrince25
12-17-2012, 05:07 PM

I completely agree. Its revolutionary (no pun intended). And amazingly large with numerous different people and animals. Really i'm surprised they were able to fully design that, along with the rest of the game and get it out as quickly as they did.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 05:09 PM
when the next-gen consoles will come, this engine with the tree-running and wheather changes wil show their full potential and stun us all

Fingers crossed!

lothario-da-be
12-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Fingers crossed!
for one time i realy trust ubi, they are the first companey that has done this, improving is just a little step compared to desining it for the first time.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 05:13 PM
I completely agree. Its revolutionary (no pun intended). And amazingly large with numerous different people and animals. Really i'm surprised they were able to fully design that, along with the rest of the game and get it out as quickly as they did.

Yeah it's a brillian accomplishment! The sad part is that I don't think they were able to leverage it as they should have in the campaign. Felt like most missions took place in the cities. And too many of the frontier missions were "enjoyed" on horseback, which is really the weakest part of it. It's like the mission designer didn't quite realize just how brilliant the frontier was.

EaglePrince25
12-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah it's a brillian accomplishment! The sad part is that I don't think they were able to leverage it as they should have in the campaign. Felt like most missions took place in the cities. And too many of the frontier missions were "enjoyed" on horseback, which is really the weakest part of it. It's like the mission designer didn't quite realize just how brilliant the frontier was.

Again I completely agree. Most of the time it felt like I was in the Frontier because I wanted to be. I was taking time from a main mission in a city to hunt, find feathers, or look into stories of the frontiersmen. For missions it was only ever a matter of quick traveling through the frontier if I chose to and heading into a city.

I hated the horseback riding in this game. I've never really liked it truth be told, but in this game with the frontier I just found it to be annoying. The frontier's huge, so I understand horses can make it easier to cover ground, but I feel Connor's tree running skills kind of make up for it as well, and that there should've been more battles in the forests where you could strike from trees or something.

Lightpex
12-17-2012, 08:12 PM
I have a feeling frontiers are going to become a staple in each new Ac game. Kudos to Ubisoft. If they did something right in AC3, it would be the frontier. :cool: