PDA

View Full Version : So...

Death_Aflame
12-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I decided to take a break from Assassin's Creed III and play Assassin's Creed Revelations and I noticed, I had forgotten how to free-run properly and fight properly. I feel as if Ubisoft has dumbed down Assassin's Creed III from the rest of the Assassin's Creed games. Does anyone else think this?

MRNMRSPACER
12-17-2012, 11:42 AM
yeah i noticed the diffrence when i helped my friend with Assassins Creed:Brotherhood multiplayer.....i was like WHAT AM I DOING

point is........crazy diffrent

pacmanate
12-17-2012, 11:42 AM
AC3's fight system is way more complex then just smashing Square and holding R1 and pressing square to counter.

Also, you stole your sig off of Jexx (I think), not cool.

Death_Aflame
12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I actually took it from an AC Developer, I loved it.

And with AC I, II, ACB, ACR you had to time the enemies' strikes with the square button to kill them. With Ratohnhaké;ton, you have to press circle, time slows down, press square whenever.

I do, however, like the Tomahawk counter-kills, they're epic!

Connor takes too long to kill an enemy without counter-killing them. He does a long combo then eventually kills them, plus, how can you kill someone by slamming them into a wall and kicking them over a stack?

When I killed a few people with Ezio, it was fast and deadly + epic to watch.

TrueAssassin77
12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I actually took it from an AC Developer, I loved it.

And with AC I, II, ACB, ACR you had to time the enemies' strikes with the square button to kill them. With Ratohnhaké;ton, you have to press circle, time slows down, press square whenever.

I do, however, like the Tomahawk counter-kills, they're epic!

Connor takes too long to kill an enemy without counter-killing them. He does a long combo then eventually kills them, plus, how can you kill someone by slamming them into a wall and kicking them over a stack?

When I killed a few people with Ezio, it was fast and deadly + epic to watch.

ACB Ezio was fast... But ACR ezio had the longest kill animations for no reason. Horrible. He'd stab someone, and then let them slid slowly off the sword. It took forever. The bad-guys just watched as i did a 20 second long kill animation. It was stupid and i hated the combat in ACR because of it. The majority of the kill animations were slow like that. Connor is a major improvement in every conceivable way

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Completely disagree. The freerunning has never been complex, nor should it be. Running around the enviroment should feel smooth and natural. In AC3 they have added a lot of moves and animations that didn't exist before (uneven surfaces, trees, going under objects, jumping over low objects etc) making it the best freerinning so far. The combat is also the best in franchise history. AC:R was much umber as you could take out all guards with one button. It was also less fun and a lot clunkier.

D.I.D.
12-17-2012, 03:29 PM
No. I'm not saying AC3 is tough, but I've never been as mentally switched off in an AC game as I was in ACR. This is the first game where timing has any impact at all, although that's only with Block behaviours.

EaglePrince25
12-17-2012, 05:39 PM
IDK, the fighting system for AC3 annoyed me at first, but I adjusted, and considering how much cooler the fights look I think its an ok trade. Connor is simply the best free runner hands down. The way he moves around people instead of just bumping into them and stumbling is great.

AssassinSteals
12-18-2012, 04:04 AM
How has the freerunning in ANY WAY been dumbed down? Other than that you had to hold more buttons in previous games?

the_atm
12-18-2012, 04:11 AM
The combat is so much better than in almost any other AC game, other than AC1. AC3 takes skill, you don't just hold R1 and press square.

as for the free running, it had to be changed (for the better) to accompany slides, vaults, and of course... TREE CLIMBING!!! other wise Connor would have no idea whether to vault something or slide under it, when free running, whether to climb down or up while either on trees or poles.

everthing thing they did seemed justified and for the better.

Nighthawk II
12-18-2012, 07:08 PM
AC3's fight system is way more complex then just smashing Square and holding R1 and pressing square to counter.

Also, you stole your sig off of Jexx (I think), not cool.

How is AC3 combat system more complex? You either counter and throw, counter and disarm, or counter and kill. not that much to think about at all really.

I agree with OP definitely. The new controls feel really flimsy, sometimes feels like I have no control over Connor sometimes.

I also agree with Death_Aflame with the fact that you had to time your counter kills in every other assassins creed game. In Brotherhood and Revelations I would get confused with the flashing health bar and miss a counter and get hit for it. In 3 the red triangle pops up the instant they attack and it makes things way simpler.

andreja110s
12-18-2012, 09:06 PM
At the beginning I thought that too, but now I´m used to the new controls...

UncappedWheel82
12-18-2012, 09:20 PM
My opinion:

AC3's combat isn't more complex, it is just more fluid, more cinematic, and, IMO, just all around better. Up to this point combat was VERY clunky, and overly complex. While overall combat in AC3 isn't perfect, it is a massive step in the right direction, and a welcome improvement.

By comparison, in previouis games you had to hold 'L' trigger to stay locked on an enemy, then hold 'R' trigger to block/parry, then on top of that you had to press x (square) in order to counter. While having all the 'extra' buttons gives a certain level of 'extra' control, having those same controls become more context sensitive doesn't take control away, it just make it easier to do those same actions. AC doesn't need to be street fighter or KOF. Easy of use isn't a bad thing.

Auto locking an enemy, a single button press or hold to counter or parry, single button presses to kill/throw/disarm or whatever, those aren't bad additions; the only place where I'd say AC3's combat failed is in enemy diversity and difficulty. Overall, AC3's combat system made fighting WAY more fun and diverse in the ways the player could achieve certain outcomes. Like I said before, Ubi just didn't create enough reasons to use that diversity, or make the combat dificult enough to where the player had to be perfect in order to win.

You could litereally fight your way through the entire game not using stealth save for the few missions that required it, or you wanted to get 100% sync. They made Connor too OPed, and kept the enemies pretty much the same from previous games. The end result is that the game is to easy, period.

WarriorAegis
12-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I played SP Brotherhood recently and wow, I was having difficulty with the controls for the first sequence. XD

But I got back into the swing of things. Personally, I like AC3's controls over the others.

Free_Hidings
12-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Anyone who has actually played the other games will know that the only one in which timing was important was AC1. (Loved that combat system, AC3 is my favourite though)

In AC2 - ACR all you needed to do was hold R1 and mash square and you would more or less kill everyone. It was fun, and looked cool, but AC3 improved it greatly. It is more smooth, fluid, dynamic and has cooler animations.

As for the free running, initially I was skeptical about the auto jumping and stuff but it worked out great. Having to do the claw to move the camera while sprinting was a pain. Just because you don't have to press as many buttons to do the same thing doesn't make it less complex or innovative. The free running in AC3 has many more moves and variables (trees, obstacles etc) and it is much smoother and better executed. Period.

kriegerdesgottes
12-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Yes. especially the navigation. It's one of the few things I hate about ACIII. I miss the old navigation controls.

CrazyShrapnel
12-19-2012, 12:33 AM
AC3's combat felt awkward at first but after getting used to it I was making awesome kill streaks left, right and center. It looks and feels more fluid to me, some more enemy variety and it would've been perfect. Freerunning though... it feels like Connor has super glue on his shoes. Yes they've made a load of new animations but the action of freerunning itself feels more clunky to me. The older ACs made camera control difficult when you were running at full speed but after 4 games I barely noticed.

Having 2 buttons to press made things more intricate. One movement could happen in two different ways (with or without the high profile button). But in AC3 all the freerunning is merged into one. Fast and slow have been merged into an awkward, sort of jogging speed compared to before. You used to be able make yourself climb a wall faster than usual. Now you just press forwards and wait for Connor to reach the roof at his leisurely pace since there's nothing else for you to do. Ledge grabbing and jumping at angles feels a lot more responsive to me in the previous games too.

That's just me though. I guess the new freerunning's helpful for some people, the idea of using two buttons just to run around was probably irritating or difficult to some. Connor's running style is more easily accessible but it just doesn't feel like it gives as many options.

XLT sMasHerZZX
12-19-2012, 12:49 AM
I agree, I was playing Revelation's earlier to bring back some good memories, I couldn't pass the first mission due to the control's, they felt too alien for me...

TreFacTor
12-19-2012, 12:50 AM
I decided to take a break from Assassin's Creed III and play Assassin's Creed Revelations and I noticed, I had forgotten how to free-run properly and fight properly. I feel as if Ubisoft has dumbed down Assassin's Creed III from the rest of the Assassin's Creed games. Does anyone else think this?
I was laughed at and ridiculed when I made the same observation.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/724166-laughably-easy-(sigh)/page3