PDA

View Full Version : My review of Assassins Creed III. Too late, but still.. [SPOILERS]

pirate1802
12-15-2012, 07:59 AM
I know it’s quite late now and most of you have moved on to other games, but I just have to get it off my chest. Overall I’d like to congratulate Ubisoft for making one of the best games I’ve played and certainly the best AC, but I have some minor gripes about certain parts about which I’d like to talk. So here I go; pros and cons. :) (tl:dr version at bottom)

Pros:

The protagonist: Yeah I know many of you found Connor as interesting as a doorknob, but I found him a very interesting character. Perhaps I’m an introvert like him that I can connect better? Anyways kudos to Ubisoft for creating an original character and not another Ezio 2.0, even if he is not to everyone’s tastes. All three of them, Altair, Ezio and Connor are different from each other and I love that. Haven’t played Liberations so can’t comment about Aveline. People have stated that Connor is emotionless, his VA lacks emotions but I’ve read that in Native customs, showing emotions was seen as a sign of weakness, so it makes sense why Connor is averse to showing emotions. He is a reserved character and unlike Ezio, not so easy to understand. He does show subtle emotions but you have to look at his face carefully. I saw sadness when Achilles died; I saw shame after one of his childish arguments with him. I saw anger after being betrayed by Washington. I saw happiness at Myriam’s wedding. Connor is by no means perfect. He is flawed, doesn’t understand the ways of the world and is na´ve. He is uncomfortable with strangers, as demonstrated by his discomfort any anyone touching hi, but he is a real bro to those who he considers friends. He is a layered character, and you have to work to understand him. I see how this can be a bad thing to some people, but not to me. Best assassin till date.

The villains: Like AC1, and to a little degree.. ACR; the villains of this game were not bloodthirsty lolevil just for the sake of evil kinda people. They were deep characters (and some not so deep like Hickey). They had different motivations, different sides (just like AC1 again) and if seen in a way, they were not even the bad guys. They were trying to do good things, just in a bad way. The Templar order is not presented as the group of evil masterminds as we saw in the previous games; masterminds still, but not evil, they actually cared for their people, they honestly cared for their well-being and safety. The Templars too, were fighting for American independence. Who would have thought that pre-release?

Then there’s Haytham. I think the most kind, honest, mannered, reasonable (but also cruel when situation demands) villain we’ve seen in ACs till now. In fact he was so nice many of us (including myself) got fooled by him at the beginning, taking him for an Assassin. Haytham might even be my favourite AC character now. Like with Ahmet in ACR, I found myself agreeing with Haytham in his arguments with Connor. Connor came across as a little kid when he conversed with Haytham; this not so much a downside of Connor’s writing as the brilliance of Haytham’s writing. I think it was fully intended to be so: To show the Assassins as the na´ve people who parroted taught lines without thinking deep, and Templars as a seemingly power-hungry group, but ultimately pragmatic and benevolent.

There were many of my friends who thought Templars were the “bad guys”.. no thanks to the Ezio trilogy. I hope AC3 teaches them a thing or two, that the Assassins and Templars aren’t that different. That there are no good and bad guys. Both sides strive for the same goal, in different ways. That is one of the triumphs of AC3 and AC series in general. It portrays its character in a shade of gray rather than the black-and-white painting we see in most other games.

The setting: I, like many here, was skeptical about the American Revolution setting but boy did they pull it off. Boston and New York may be nothing compared to the other series giants architecturally but the new weather system breaths a new life in them.

But the real attraction of AC3 is the frontier! Oh man what a beauty. You have to be there to feel it. People have mentioned in the past what’s so special about the frontier, it’s basically a forest where you run and hunt. But the total is more than the sum of its parts. When you tree-run and suddenly a thunderstorm surrounds you, I can’t describe the feeling. The sound of birds and other animals.. As you move through the forests you see tiny human settlements, you see wagons moving, sometimes armed patrols scouting, sometimes a few soldiers camping. The people do different things at different times. At summer they harvest, stand around and talk, some tend to their gardens, in winter they huddle around campfires and share tales. It all feels so real, unlike the past cities. Frontier is my favourite AC “city” now. I didn’t think anything could top Venice, but then I saw the Frontier.

Now the Homestead. The Villa Auditore also had you upgrade it, but it was populated by faceless AIs who milled around like.. well AIs. Besides, the Villa was already in existence. While the Homestead, it was a piece of barren land when you arrived. Little by little you populate it by people; named people not faceless people, and it grows from a lifeless plot of land of a happy, thriving village. The people feel alive; they would do different things at different times. Godfrey would fish sometimes, Lyle would sit on a rock and smoke his pipe in the mornings, Prudence would bake breads in afternoon, and Warren would play with his dogs. You can spot Myriam lining up a shot (and often missing.) Terry and Godfrey’s kids would hide behind trees and throw rocks at the passing sailors, if you visit the inn at the right time you can spot Oliver and his wife in one of their romantic moments. It feels great. Have I said how alive the Homestead feels? Like so any things in AC3, I feel the Devonport Homestead is the best AC hub till now.

Naval combat: Nuff said. This has to be the best side game introduced in AC till date. The mechanics are good enough to stand on their own as a separate game (and I hope Ubi listens to the fans and make a naval-only game someday) But ****, did these missions hook me! I got Goosebumps while captaining my ship during the storm. The mechanics are rock solid, little sailors scurrying about on the deck to carry out your orders; they cheer and sing when you sink enemy ships. Faulkner’s presence besides you is an assuring one. I was afraid he’d be killed at some point of the story but thankfully I was wrong. The only sad thing is there’s nothing to do with your ship once you’ve completed all the naval missions. A bloody waste of such a bloody good ship. Why not introduce an attack/defend convoy in naval convoys too? That would potentially mean infinite naval content!

Side quests: The side quests in this game may rival the main quests in terms of fun quotient. The frontiersman quests, which had you tracking down mythical creatures, were fun. Sitting around campfires to listen to their stories was epic, and then putting on your detective hat to find out the origin of the stories was great. The naval combat was the best side activity as I already mentioned, but apart from them the Peg Leg missions were great, if only some of them were too short. The Mad Doctor’s Castle was awesome, if felt very Sherlock-like to piece together what exactly happened that night many moons ago. The Oak Island was awesome too. The Boston brawlers missions, the hunting missions, all were great. The game is brimming with side content; only some of them are rather unpolished, more on it in the cons section. The Homestead missions brought out a different side of Connor, I know some people have issues with them, want to just kill people all the time but the assassins have a human side too, and these missions bring them out well. They are well done, and fun.. Besides they are optional for this very reason: If you don’t like ‘em, don’t do them!

The story: It is not your average hero-defeats-all-evil story. It may be off putting to some people but not to me. It had a realistic shade to it; you don’t always win in life. Connor actually loses the fight; he primarily fought for the safety of his people, and the people he trusted turned out to be the betrayers, and Connor is left with nothing but a big wound in his stomach as people celebrate around him, all but having forgotten the guy responsible for their victory. One of the most tragic heroes I’ve seen in recent videogames. That epilogue scene at his village hit me in the guts. Just a lone old man sitting near the fire, everything else Connor fought for having vanished. “Life is not a fairytale, and there are no happy endings.” So true Achilles, so true. Connor’s ending was a sad one but also a beautiful one. It completes his character arc beautifully. In his hay days he was an impetuous, naive kid who, without a thought would have jumped forward to save the slaves we see being auctioned on Evacuation Day Epilogue, but now he is a wiser man and understands the fight is a lot longer than this and his part is by no means, done.

About the pacing, I know that some people have issues with it, feel too much importance was given to Haytham, but I had no such problems. I saw it as a story of which Connor is a part of, rather than only Connor’s story through and through. I see all assassins and ACs in the same way, they all are pawns in a larger game, and I always strive to learn more about their background, families, so I was never impatient to play as Connor, in fact I enjoyed Haytham’s parts as much as I did Connor’s. I relished the prologue, of who his father was, how he came to the colonies, met his mother, how was his childhood, how he slowly grew up, from a determined yet humble kid to a strong young man who was still a kid in his hearts. It was all perfect for me. The ship-ride to Boston part was one of my favourite sections from the entire game. The story has any other beautiful moments, like Haytham's arrival in Boston (AC has always given me a stunning first view of the cities and AC3 didn't disappoint in this regard), and Lee's death scene.. the way Lee and Connor share one last drink before Connor slowly pushes the knife into Lee was just too beautiful :(

New animations: Love how if you have the interact button pressed, Connor would vault over, or under obstacles. Looks brilliant. All the new animations look stunning, they give Connor a stronger, grittier feel than the past assassin, as it should be, him having led a hard childhood, living off the land.

Cons:

Some side quests: No big gripes here just the sadness of the lost opportunity. The game is already filled with content but it could have been much more! The assassination contracts are without context. You are just given a target. Go there, and kill that guy. Nothing to tell you why are you killing the guy, what did he do... nothing! It is no different than the other random 14588 guards you kill during the course of the game. Would it be that difficult just to show a small cutscene showing the target doing bad things (beating a merchant, extorting money, about to kill someone etc)? If not a cutscene, how about just making the target say stuff like “Regulars are caving in on that front! I’m going there.” Or... “Die you helpless fruit merchant DIE!!!” as you approach him. Sarcasm of course, but anything to give us context as to why we are being asked to kill this guy.

Then there are the promised random missions which were cut... again. I’m not so bummed with other cut content as this one. Especially because... once you finish the game, do all the side quests, the truth dawns on you: How this beautiful, beautiful world Ubisoft created is virtually empty now. With random quests, you could have played on the game forever! It’s almost a criminal waste of this beautiful world to have nothing to do in it once the game is over. You promised it twice Ubi, time to deliver :(

The modern-day missions with the exception of the skyscraper: The skyscraper was awesome. No complaints there. It was exciting to finally see how the real world looks like in 2012. But the other two missions, Stadium and Abstergo.. were absolute CRAP -__- Everything in those two mission smelled of rushedness. The models seemed less detailed than other parts of the game, the assets, the environment.. all looked less than their ancestral counterpart. (Stand at Abstergo main gate and look out, the graphics look worse than a 2004 game) The skyscraper didn’t seem this bad. Maybe it’s just me. It seemed as if the devs thought: “oops. We promised the fans we’d give them more Desmond, and we’ve not done anything yet. So let’s make something real quick!” It seems badly done, and as it is, it distracts from the main (to me) Connor story. I wish they weren’t there, not because I don’t like modern-day parts, but because as it is done, even nothing would be better than this. The less we talk about Daniel Cross the better. He was treated as random Abstergo agent #3245. Better save him for the future if he was gonna be treated like this. And did I say how ridiculous the combat in these modern-day sections were? Yep. Apparently Abstergo agents have forgotten we have firearms in 2012. They engage Desmond in hand-to-hand everywhere (or with knives/sticks LOL). They only remember about their firearms once in a while, after which they take out their gun, fire, and then forget again! Lmao! Seems like the devs forgot guns don’t take an eternity to reload in 2012. And apparently even the Assassins can’t be bothered to give Desmond anything more than a knife on his all-important missions. Really? *shakes head* I get the developer’s dilemma; it is difficult to make a modern-day stealth game without making it a Splinter Cell clone. But IMO it would be better to have no modern-day sections than these ignored sections packed with ridiculous fight scenes. It’s just my opinion of course; I’m aware people like these sections and have nothing against them. I just thought, the entire modern day parts, because the way they portrayed it, dragged the game down and made it into something less than what it would be with just Connor’s parts. I hoped I’ll never again see the hilarious stick fight that we say at AC2’s ending. I was wrong. Advice to Ubi: If you add modern-day sections in future ACs, put some effort into it, or don’t add them at all.

I enjoyed the non-mission modern-day parts very much, exploring the temple, talking with Juno.. but the actual missions apart from the skyscraper, stuck out like a sore thumb and were distracting from the overall experience. They seemed like they were there just for the sake of giving us moar modern day missions, without much thought being put into it.

PC Optimization: Horrible, horrible optimization. This is my single biggest gripe about the game. At one point I was about to give up on the game, so bad was the situation. (Praise the friend of mine who asked me to OC and see if it helps, that saved AC3 on my PC). My PC passes the recommended specs, not just minimum. And I can’t get more than 15 fps at minimum settings? Effing ridiculous. Please Ubi, release a patch to fix this ASAP. A lot of my friends are still waiting for a patch to play the game. You shouldn’t have to OC to play a game you should be playing effortlessly anyway. And if you plan on sticking on this path, do us a favor and don’t release future ACs on PC. At least people’s money would be saved :(

Some unanswered questions in the ending: You who have ended the game probably know what I’m talking about. Why did Minerva say we wasted centuries, what was all the fuss about Eve, wasn’t she supposed to accompany Desmond through the door? Is Eve the amulet, or as some people have suggested, is she Juno? Should have been explained better -_- I liked the ending, if only it could leave less unanswered questions. As AC fans, we’ve come to expect unanswered questions isn’t it? But having too many unanswered things is detrimental to the franchise. And they could have done it with more emotions, more cut scenes. Like the modern day missions, it almost seems devs were like: “Whoa, Connor’s is done, now let’s think of something quick for Desmond.” By that I don’t mean they thought up the ending in the last moment. I believe they had this ending in mind for a while, but they didn’t give “how to present the ending to us” much thought. This was supposed to be Desmond’s last game and he didn’t get the proper send-off Altair and Ezio got in Revelations. Some of my friends also wanted a choice at the end. Ac isn’t about choices but I don’t see how introducing a choice would have harmed. Give them the choice to end the story the way they want. Pick a canon for the next game and you’re good to go.

Lack of ambient music in cities: As many people have stated, this hurts. The ambient music isn’t missed that much in the frontier, at least not by me, as the general noise fills it up quite well. You feel as if you’re in a real jungle. But in the cities the ambient music outside missions is REALLY missed. I hope Ubi patches it up in future. It would really improve the immersion.

Free-running simplification: Yes I'm aware it frees up the thumb and lets the console players move the camera around for a better cenamatic effect, but us PC players always had that ability, so to us this simplification of free running (read: you no longer having to press down the legs button) is a sort of thing that decreases the challenge, not a good thing IMO. The climbing looks smooth sure, but its basically the game doing it for you.

Overall: 9/10 fortunately, the areas where the game slipped up were areas which I wasn’t looking forward to anyway. The things I was looking forward to, they almost fully delivered.

This is, in my books the best AC to date. Ignoring some flaws here and there, the game is a gem. Hopefully Ubisoft listens to the fans and rectifies those flaws in the coming games.

I’m aware this score makes me look like a fanboy, but I don't give a fudge, these are my true feelings :p Thanks again Ubisoft, Alex Hutchinson, Corey May and all the AC team, for this great game, may you continue to produce such gems in the future :)

Assassin_M
12-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Meh...Fanboy:p

No, but seriously. You described my view of the game exactly. It`s a flawed game....HUGELY flawed game, but it`s only that way because it`s absolutely beautiful...Great review, man

Also, "post it in the feedback thread too;)" -Mr Shade:rolleyes:

pirate1802
12-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks M, I'm trying to filter out the spoilers then maybe I'll post there.

Also forgot to mention: Charles Lee's death scene was just too beautiful. The way they share a last drink before Connor pushes the knife slowly into Lee as the background score reaches the crescendo.. beautiful :'(

Assassin_M
12-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks M, I'm trying to filter out the spoilers then maybe I'll post there.

Also forgot to mention: Charles Lee's death scene was just too beautiful. The way they share a last drink before Connor pushes the knife slowly into Lee as the background score reaches the crescendo.. beautiful :'(
Indeed. The game had beautiful presentations to so many scenes.

Also, I hereby induct ye to the fanboyish club of fanboya. You shall be a fan-junior.... Here..I present to ye..OUR MARK..

You were seriously expecting a Mark ?? you don't get one...people just label you:p

Paribissee
12-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the great review! Its the best one ive seen so far and i agree with you completely.

BATISTABUS
12-15-2012, 11:14 AM
I'll admit I didn't read all of the details, but I agree with all of your main points except the simplification of free-running. Then again, I am a console users, so vaulting over fences and stumps wouldn't have worked if we didn't have the buttons freed up, which was something I really liked.

Hopefully one day I can work up the motivation to type one of these out. xD

pirate1802
12-15-2012, 11:29 AM
I'll admit I didn't read all of the details, but I agree with all of your main points except the simplification of free-running. Then again, I am a console users, so vaulting over fences and stumps wouldn't have worked if we didn't have the buttons freed up, which was something I really liked.

I sometimes play around with the xbox controller and yeah, without that simplification it would not be possible to vault/jump.. I guess players on different platforms will react differently to this change xD

dxsxhxcx
12-15-2012, 12:07 PM
I play on PC as well and I'm fine with the simplification of the free-running (at least as it is now), IMO this is the last thing that should represent a challenge in this game, the only thing I would like to see as it was in AC2 is that movement Rosa taught us that I forgot the name, IMO this movement would've been useful in a lot of situations if the player was in control of it (I don't know how this would affect console players though), the way it's now Connor barely use it.

lothario-da-be
12-15-2012, 12:18 PM
this is a realy good review! AC3 is realy that game that could be excellent but isen't for stupid reasons.

pirate1802
12-15-2012, 12:38 PM
I play on PC as well and I'm fine with the simplification of the free-running (at least as it is now), IMO this is the last thing that should represent a challenge in this game, the only thing I would like to see as it was in AC2 is that movement Rosa taught us that I forgot the name, IMO this movement would've been useful in a lot of situations if the player was in control of it (I don't know how this would affect console players though), the way it's now Connor barely use it.

That monkey-like jump? Connor and Haytham now automatically execute that jump -_-

dxsxhxcx
12-15-2012, 01:13 PM
That monkey-like jump? Connor and Haytham now automatically execute that jump -_-I know, I prefer the old way, I used to use it a lot when I was climbing a building in AC2, now Connor doesn't use it that often.

pirate1802
12-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I know, I prefer the old way, I used to use it a lot when I was climbing a building in AC2, now Connor doesn't use it that often.

That is exactly what I meant by over-simplification. I liked it the old way too, when it was left at player discretion rather than being auto like now.

warner4692
12-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Actually, ACIII was pretty terrible, and it didn't need all the bugs, control problems, camera problems, pacing issues, tiresome world, and a just plain ludicrously over-packed experience as a whole to be terrible.

The ending was worse than Mass Effect 3. It has been for the last THREE games, actually. They didn't even try with this one. At least they tried (sort of) with the Lucy crap... and they never should have tried that to begin with. The direction of the story alone is enough to spoil the game. What's the fun in playing a game if it's always going to make every bad decision it possibly can? And the worst part is, there's a good five or six other ways they could have accomplished their same story goals without giving their players/audience the cop-out end of the stick. A friend and I whipped some up just while mopping our kitchen floor not two minutes after seeing the ending and wondering if it was too late to get our money back. I think this is the first time I trust the FanFiction community to do a better job...

Never mind that all the goals they've cited thus far are bad to begin with. Unless there's a serious change in quality, they've lost this customer... and everyone he knows, too, at this rate. We've all spent $60 each year since 2007 eagerly anticipating this. And we all deserve better for it.

pirate1802
12-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Actually, ACIII was pretty terrible, and it didn't need all the bugs, control problems, camera problems, pacing issues, tiresome world, and a just plain ludicrously over-packed experience as a whole to be terrible.

The ending was worse than Mass Effect 3. It has been for the last THREE games, actually. They didn't even try with this one. At least they tried (sort of) with the Lucy crap... and they never should have tried that to begin with. The direction of the story alone is enough to spoil the game. What's the fun in playing a game if it's always going to make every bad decision it possibly can? And the worst part is, there's a good five or six other ways they could have accomplished their same story goals without giving their players/audience the cop-out end of the stick. My friend and I immediately imagined some up just while mopping up our kitchen floor. I think this is the first time I trust FanFiction to do a better job...

Never mind that all the goals they've cited thus far are bad to begin with. Unless there's a serious change in quality, they've lost this customer and everyone he knows.

Thanks for your opinion. Cya :D

warner4692
04-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your opinion. Cya :D

Nice.

UrDeviant1
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Good stuff. Agreed with most of what you said.

BATISTABUS
04-15-2013, 10:18 PM
I know, I prefer the old way, I used to use it a lot when I was climbing a building in AC2, now Connor doesn't use it that often.
I always hated it, but I hate it more in AC2. I liked how climbing worked in AC1, where you couldn't just go straight up every building. In AC2 there are specific uses for it, but I just end up jumping up the entire building because I feel like it's faster. It's like rolling in Zelda games or something. It makes you feel like you're going faster, but it's annoying to have to keep pressing it. If it's going to be included at all, I'd prefer AC3 where it does it automatically and it looks cooler. Just my personal preference.

Dosenwabe
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Though I don't agree with you about the modern day missions (Stadium and Abstergo were great, Manhattan boring) I love the rest of your review, especially the story parts. I can't understand how people can not appreciate this, it's brilliant (the story). It made me remember why I love AC. And you described it perfect why it's brilliant.

Megas_Doux
04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
I agree with this review!!!!! Mostly on the linear and restricted mission design.

I mean, I know is a matter of perspectives, but I just do not see how can ACB have better reviews than AC3.....

SixKeys
04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
I agree with this review!!!!! Mostly on the linear and restricted mission design.

I mean, I know is a matter of perspectives, but I just do not see how can ACB have better reviews than AC3.....

Must you change every single thread into "why I hate ACB"?

AssassinHMS
04-15-2013, 11:28 PM
fortunately, the areas where the game slipped up were areas which I wasn’t looking forward to anyway. The things I was looking forward to, they almost fully delivered.

Just one question. What things were you looking forward to?

silvermercy
04-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Great review! I pretty much agree with everything, from pros to cons. The Charles Lee death scene was one of my favourites. (I am only neutral to the PC problems part since I had a PS3 which presented no problems so can't comment on that.)

May I add some pros and cons, too... :)
pros:
- the brutal fighting style suited Connor perfectly. He's a child of the forest after all...
- The Connor and Haytham interactions. One of the most enjoyable and complex father-son relationships in a game for me.

cons:
- I found the cities were not vivid enough in terms of colour (AC4 looks like it's gonna be quite vivid though!!)
- Connor's outfits did not usually change in cutscenes.

Dosenwabe
04-16-2013, 12:45 AM
pros: - The Connor and Haytham interactions. One of the most enjoyable and complex father-son relationships in a game for me. cons: - Connor's outfits did not usually change in cutscenes. Right, that outfits. I'm afraid that won't change in future games. You're right with Connor and Haytham. It was not that cliche "Luke, I'm your father."-"NOOOOOOO" -drama-story. They both behaved like realistic, complex people with feelings. I was always happy AND sad to see them together, it was a bit heartbreaking. :(

pirate1802
04-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Holy clanmother's hair! Who revived this thread?!

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Who revived this fanboy review? :P

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Who revived this fanboy review? :P
^Resident forum smartass is here.....how fun is this going to be ?? yaaaaaaay

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 06:31 AM
^Resident forum smartass is here.....how fun is this going to be ?? yaaaaaaay
You know you like me :p

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 06:37 AM
You know you like me :p
o`course I do...

Ily, bro....how my life would be dull without you....luv you, bro

pirate1802
04-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Just one question. What things were you looking forward to?

First and foremost: The return of the moral ambiguity. Words can't describe how disappointed I was with the AC2-ACB villains, and how joyous I was at seeing the return of the uneasy feeling when you hear the death speeches. The philosophical conflict is, in by books, the central piller of AC's storytelling and it should never have been done away with.

Then, a good, solid ancestral story. It had its down points and Murican Revolution seemed to have been forcefully penetrated into it, but overall it was quite solid IMO. The ending of Connor was a high point for me, because he ended up being defeated.

Lastly, a good ancestor. I didn't want a flawless white knight character, I wanted a flawed character. One who seemed human, able to make mistakes. I hated Connor at times, like when he argued with Achilles, but eventually I understood this was the part of the "rebellion" every child encounters while growing up. Even I argued with my parents numerous times and immediately afterwards felt like slapping myself just like Connor felt. Anyway, long story short; I prefer a flawed, human, occasionally hated and certainly not universally adored, complex protagonist than a know-it-all with a rock solid moral compass and who could do no wrong and people are all singing around him and want to marry him. For some reason I seem to connect more with conflicted and damaged characters than perfect dudebros. Which is why I so adored Walker in Spec Ops The Line.

Assassin_M
04-17-2013, 06:58 AM
but eventually I understood.
I think this is the step everyone stopped at or skipped when relating to Connor`s anger. ending up with the impression that Connor is an ungrateful, jerky A-hole...

It started with disdain for Connor`s actions (Which is normal) and just stopped there.....

AjinkyaParuleka
04-17-2013, 07:42 AM
You know...teenagers should be able to relate to Connor much easier since their life is nearly the same-Arguement,recklessness,naivety.,etc.

ProletariatPleb
04-17-2013, 07:51 AM
You know...teenagers should be able to relate to Connor much easier since their life is nearly the same-Arguement,recklessness,naivety.,etc.
I don't think the 'teenagers' you're talking about want to relate to him. They want assploshuns, sax, charms, more assploshuns.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 01:51 PM
First and foremost: The return of the moral ambiguity. Words can't describe how disappointed I was with the AC2-ACB villains, and how joyous I was at seeing the return of the uneasy feeling when you hear the death speeches. The philosophical conflict is, in by books, the central piller of AC's storytelling and it should never have been done away with.

Then, a good, solid ancestral story. It had its down points and Murican Revolution seemed to have been forcefully penetrated into it, but overall it was quite solid IMO. The ending of Connor was a high point for me, because he ended up being defeated.

Lastly, a good ancestor. I didn't want a flawless white knight character, I wanted a flawed character. One who seemed human, able to make mistakes. I hated Connor at times, like when he argued with Achilles, but eventually I understood this was the part of the "rebellion" every child encounters while growing up. Even I argued with my parents numerous times and immediately afterwards felt like slapping myself just like Connor felt. Anyway, long story short; I prefer a flawed, human, occasionally hated and certainly not universally adored, complex protagonist than a know-it-all with a rock solid moral compass and who could do no wrong and people are all singing around him and want to marry him. For some reason I seem to connect more with conflicted and damaged characters than perfect dudebros. Which is why I so adored Walker in Spec Ops The Line.

Since this is an assassin's creed title didn't you miss feeling like an assassin? I mean:
- open ended missions
- stealth
- difficult and interesting combat
- good navigation
- well made assassination side missions
- good urban locations
- things to do in the frontier (since the devs stated many times it was more than twice the size of rome in brotherhood)
- the creed or the brotherhood instead of a village with people

(notice that I didn't even mention the huge amount of glitches)
In my opinion these are all cons but I guess the naval gameplay and a story driven, linear experience are enough to make a great game, right?

lothario-da-be
04-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Since this is an assassin's creed title didn't you miss feeling like an assassin? I mean:
- open ended missions
- stealth
- good navigation
- good urban locations
- things to do in the frontier (since the devs stated many times it was more than twice the size of rome in brotherhood)

(notice that I didn't even mention the huge amount of glitches)
In my opinion these are all cons but I guess the naval gameplay and a story driven, linear experience are enough to make a great game, right?
This, 100x this.

pirate1802
04-17-2013, 02:16 PM
- open ended missions
- stealth
- good navigation
- good urban locations

Nope.

Yep.

catkiller97
04-17-2013, 02:22 PM
nice review very well written.

Aphex_Tim
04-17-2013, 02:30 PM
The Mad Doctor’s Castle was awesome, if felt very Sherlock-like to piece together what exactly happened that night many moons ago.

My only gripe with this part of the game is how the Doctor could fire his musket THREE times without reloading.
Makes no sense!

Anyway, great review, pretty much sums up how i feel about the game.

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Nope.

Yep.

Hmm.... Something is not right here. I think you inadvertently switched your answers.

(It's the only plausible explanation)

Sushiglutton
04-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Nope.

Yep.

Must be nice to have your four month old review bumped and attacked :p;)

AssassinHMS
04-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Oh I don't mean to attack or bump anything. I'm just exchanging thoughts and trying to understand a few things

Sushiglutton
04-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Oh I don't mean to attack or bump anything. I'm just exchanging thoughts and trying to understand a few things

Sorry meant no offense towards you, completely agree with your arguments actually. And it wasn't you who bumped the thread. Was just joking a bit with pirate ;). I remember when one of my threads I really wasn't that proud of was bumped lol.

Edit: Not to say Pirate should feel ashamed of this one obv, it's well written. Lol I'm just gonna quit now before everyone starts to hate me.

pirate1802
04-17-2013, 02:47 PM

I'm enjoying the free "publicity" :p

prince162010
04-17-2013, 03:13 PM
very very nice review tnxxx bro :)