PDA

View Full Version : So AC3 is not nominated for GOTY?!?

andreja110s
12-14-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012

I canīt believe this! Ubisoft was working on this game for three years, and it turned out to be a game with a great story and gameplay, and itīs not nominated for GOTY. WTF?!?

SkiesSeven
12-14-2012, 04:02 PM
It is strange that a game as technically impressive as AC3 wouldn't even make it into the top 10.

andreja110s
12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
I would have put AC3 instead of The walking dead... That game is not as great as AC3 is. I donīt know what IGN was thinking!!!

TreFacTor
12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
There are just too many issues with the game for it to warrant a GOTY nomination. I think it was a good game, but others were more polished when delivering an overall game experience. Most of the outlets seem to echo the same shortcomings so not all of them can be wrong (like nothing to do after 100 % game completion {single player}). Also worth nothing, it's not common for a game on it's 5th iteration to even get consideration for GOTY.

If all goes well though, Watchdogs should get a GOTY nod if they manage NOT to screw that one up.

SixKeys
12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
I hope Journey wins. Now that was a unique experience and the ultimate proof that games can be art.

blazefp
12-14-2012, 06:15 PM
like nothing to do after 100 % game completion {single player}

Invalid argument: you can free-roam at least which is not possible on Dishonored and it's nominated. In fact Dishonored just beats AC3 in originality but only because AC3 is a sequel otherwise it wouldn't beat it in anything

shobhit7777777
12-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Invalid argument: you can free-roam at least which is not possible on Dishonored and it's nominated. In fact Dishonored just beats AC3 in originality but only because AC3 is a sequel otherwise it wouldn't beat it in anything

Dishonored beats AC3 hollow in terms of mission design, stealth mechanics and the very fact that it offers far more creative gameplay options and emergent gameplay scenarios than AC3. I urge you to check out some Dishonored vids on youtube...some of the stuff that players achieve by combining powers and abilities is simply amazing. AC can't touch that.

ACfan443
12-14-2012, 07:44 PM
LOL. How did mass effect make it on to that list?

pacmanate
12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Don't knock the Walking Dead until you play it.

DonzTM
12-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I enjoy playing assassin's creed games, but I must say, Walking dead deserved it. Just play walking dead episodes 1-5 and you'll see why it's goty.

dxsxhxcx
12-14-2012, 11:03 PM
IMO Dishonored should win, The Waking Dead comes in second and FTL (Faster Than Light) in third... :)AC3 should've been nominated instead of Hotline Miami, HM is kinda cool, but too crazy... :p

wackywaffles2
12-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Assassin's Creed 3 was a huge dissapointment, it had great gameplay. But so many technical flaws and a predictable and boring story. The Walking Dead proves that if you don't have great gameplay the story can still make it GOTY.

Deadlysyns666
12-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Mass Effect made it and AC didn't what is the world coming too

FrankieSatt
12-16-2012, 01:48 AM
It's not nominated because it's not the best game this year. It's not even the best game of the series. The story line isn't very good, the game play isn't the best, the ending is the worst of any game I've played this year. Sorry, but it isn't deserving of GOTY

Deadlysyns666
12-16-2012, 01:55 AM
It's not nominated because it's not the best game this year. It's not even the best game of the series. The story line isn't very good, the game play isn't the best, the ending is the worst of any game I've played this year. Sorry, but it isn't deserving of GOTY Go play Pre EC Mass Effect 3 and then come back. The game was amazing your personal opinion aside more people like it then did Mass Effect 3

FrankieSatt
12-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Go play Pre EC Mass Effect 3 and then come back. The game was amazing your personal opinion aside more people like it then did Mass Effect 3

I thought we were talking about ACIII. Did I miss something?

Deadlysyns666
12-16-2012, 02:24 AM
I thought we were talking about ACIII. Did I miss something? The Ending was the worst you played of any game this year you haven't played ME3 plus its nominated why not AC3.

Dieinthedark
12-16-2012, 02:40 AM
Dishonored beats AC3 hollow in terms of mission design, stealth mechanics and the very fact that it offers far more creative gameplay options and emergent gameplay scenarios than AC3. I urge you to check out some Dishonored vids on youtube...some of the stuff that players achieve by combining powers and abilities is simply amazing. AC can't touch that.

I've yet to play it unfortunately, but soon I hope.

I think AC3 would have made it in Top 10 if it were more polished honestly. But that's just me...

Turul.
12-16-2012, 03:17 AM
http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012

I canīt believe this! Ubisoft was working on this game for three years, and it turned out to be a game with a great story and gameplay, and itīs not nominated for GOTY. WTF?!?

ign didnt care for ac3 much

yet call of duty...."OMG BEST CALL OF DUTY YET!"

don't take ign so seriously.

and i really hope TWD doesnt win GOTY.

the gameplay is static and the whole game relies on story to carry it.
that is not GOTY worthy.

Lexax123
12-16-2012, 03:19 AM
I don't mind that they didn't nominate it for goty, but the fact that they didn't even nominate AC3 for any action category on any of the consoles is just plain ridiculous.

Assassin_M
12-16-2012, 04:11 AM
Again with this ?? Come on, Guys let it go...

I`m actually glad....Too many praise can go through developer heads...

Also, anyone`s personal taste or opinion is not fact. you`v the freedom to say it out loud, but do not state it as fact...

LoyalACFan
12-16-2012, 04:19 AM

Also, anyone`s personal taste or opinion is not fact. you`v the freedom to say it out loud, but do not state it as fact...

I'd like to hug you for this post.

Assassin_M
12-16-2012, 04:26 AM
I'd like to hug you for this post.
don't touch me

:p

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 05:12 AM
and a predictable and boring story.

LEL. Because you know.. other games had such an awesome and unpredictable story. *cough*Dishonored & ME3*cough*

wackywaffles2
12-16-2012, 06:22 AM
LEL. Because you know.. other games had such an awesome and unpredictable story. *cough*Dishonored & ME3*cough*

I have yet to play those games, so i can't really respond to that :/.

JumpInTheFire13
12-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Assassin's Creed 3 was a huge dissapointment, it had great gameplay. But so many technical flaws and a predictable and boring story. The Walking Dead proves that if you don't have great gameplay the story can still make it GOTY.
How was the story predictable? Did you predict that Haytham would turn out to be... You know...?

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 10:17 AM
I have yet to play those games, so i can't really respond to that :/.

I assure you AC3 may have many faults but a boring and predictable story isn't one of them. It isn't a cliche hero singlehandedly defeats all evil story like ME3. And Dishonored, while it had much better stealth, freedom, replayability. its story was weak. If you've played Fable III you know whats gonna happen in Dishonored. The rebel-rises-against-powerful-monarch story has been done to death. And since you've not played it, I won't spoil it for you but the supposed "twist" is no twist at all. You'd see it coming miles away; Haytham's twist was thousands of times better. My mind was raped when I knew the truth O.o

ProdiGurl
12-16-2012, 11:03 AM
IGN made it pretty clear they aren't ACIII fans in that video I saw posted here - to claim it takes most disappointing of 2012 over and above RE6 ??
. The only reason it could or should not get nomination should be the excessive bug/glitch issues. To me, a GOTY should be practically problem free.
As for story & gameplay, it's worthy so far as I've played up to. I just cannot get enough time to play lately with this unexpected heavy work schedule.

shobhit7777777
12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I've yet to play it unfortunately, but soon I hope.

I think AC3 would have made it in Top 10 if it were more polished honestly. But that's just me...

It wasn't bugs as much as the narrative and the gameplay that took it down. Bugs is a convenient way of excusing AC3 not winning...it was a poorly designed game IMO and it wouldn't have mattered if they'd polished the bugs off

IGN made it pretty clear they aren't ACIII fans in that video I saw posted here - to claim it takes most disappointing of 2012 over and above RE6 ??
. The only reason it could or should not get nomination should be the excessive bug/glitch issues. To me, a GOTY should be practically problem free.
As for story & gameplay, it's worthy so far as I've played up to. I just cannot get enough time to play lately with this unexpected heavy work schedule.

WTF? I thought you were going to play FC3? Don't deny yourself of such a fantastic game..its criminal.

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Most disappointing game should go to ME3, but then It's IGN we're talking about who gave it 9.5.. sigh. They'll probably give it GOTY or something.

shobhit7777777
12-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Most disappointing game should go to ME3, but then It's IGN we're talking about who gave it 9.5.. sigh. They'll probably give it GOTY or something.

I can understand that the ending disappointed the long term fans..but from a gameplay perspective it was pure gold..the pinnacle of ME gameplay. IMHO it deserved a 9.5. That game was fun and I loved the 4 player MP...what a rush.

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
It wasn't bugs as much as the narrative and the gameplay that took it down. Bugs is a convenient way of excusing AC3 not winning...it was a poorly designed game IMO and it wouldn't have mattered if they'd polished the bugs off.

I'd have agreed with that had I not seen ME3 among the nominees. That game is the pinnacle of broken, franchise-destroying narrative. IGN isn't capable of telling a bad story from a good one so I doubt that's the reason they kept AC3 out.

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I can understand that the ending disappointed the long term fans..but from a gameplay perspective it was pure gold..the pinnacle of ME gameplay. IMHO it deserved a 9.5. That game was fun and I loved the 4 player MP...what a rush.

Agreed. But then most people who love ME, do so for the story not the gameplay. And regarding gameplay I think ME2 was better. Why? Now every class can wield every weapon. That may seem a good thing, but it took away the RP element. Soldier class is useless now because previously, it was the only class capable of wielding every weapon. Now everyone can do so. I saw a good article on this topic, I'll see if I can fish it out sometime. Actually there are so many things that diminished the RP-ing side. The reducing of dialog options, our choices not mattering, Cerberus going from a spec-ops group to a galaxy-spanning empire, the characters being butchered (TIM, Legion, Han Gerrel) There was no real consistency storywise between ME3 and the rest two games too and ME3 itself's story was as generic as it gets. Have a galaxy-spanning threat looming? No probs we'll conveniently discover a superweapon buried in our backyard just in time. A weapon no one knows about but we'll build it anyway. And guess what.. it really worked!

The devs specifically said they'll make no "reaper-off switch" in ME3 to end the threat. And that is EXACTLY what they did.

I think ME3 would seem to be a great game if someone was playing a ME game for the first time, but for me it was just good, not great. I think the same was true for the reviewer. If he gave ME3 with all its gaping flaws a 9.5 then AC3 should have got 15/10 at least. I know all reviews aren't written by the same reviewer, but I'd like to see his opinion on AC3. Conversely, I'd like to see the AC3 reviewer's score on ME3. If he is a consistent person he'd have given ME3 a 7/10 at most.

Not to mention ME3 was buggy as hell as well. And most of its bugs were of the serious kind, that locked you out of completing missions. I don't think I'm the only person who has had a bugged Blue Suns missions that would refuse to finish even after I installed Sayn as the leader. And that happened 4 times in my 8 playthroughs :/

ProdiGurl
12-16-2012, 11:41 AM
It wasn't bugs as much as the narrative and the gameplay that took it down. Bugs is a convenient way of excusing AC3 not winning...it was a poorly designed game IMO and it wouldn't have mattered if they'd polished the bugs off

I doubt we'll never know what the actual reason is - it's probly a combination of things but I do think that ACIII was picked on more due to being brand new while the other disappointing games came out months prior and have had time to be forgotten about.

WTF? I thought you were going to play FC3? Don't deny yourself of such a fantastic game..its criminal.

I'm saving FC3 to enjoy on Christmas day - plus we fortunately got in alot more work so I haven't been able to finish ACIII still. I want to finish it before I pop in another game.

I'd have agreed with that had I not seen ME3 among the nominees. That game is the pinnacle of broken, franchise-destroying narrative. IGN isn't capable of telling a bad story from a good one so I doubt that's the reason they kept AC3 out.

I remember rummaging thru the Amazon reviews for ME3. When I saw so many 1's (out of 5 stars being best), my heart sunk becuz I loved ME2 so much.
To me, them changing the ending isn't "real" - it's forced by an angry fan base and loses any sincerity by the game creators.
All I know is that my respect for IGN is all but gone when I see they choose their company pet favorites

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Also Shobhit, can you donate me some money.. I don't wanna be a criminal :p

@Prodi.. They didn't change the ending, they just expanding upon it. It makes the ending better, but still not great. Its just about Ok now, whereas before it was abysmal, the kind that sends you into depression. Good thing you didn't play them :p To avoid the depression I watched the endings before I even bought the game xD

ProdiGurl
12-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Also Shobhit, can you donate me some money.. I don't wanna be a criminal :p

@Prodi.. They didn't change the ending, they just expanding upon it. It makes the ending better, but still not great. Its just about Ok now, whereas before it was abysmal, the kind that sends you into depression. Good thing you didn't play them :p To avoid the depression I watched the endings before I even bought the game xD

I'm angry that they even ended the game title. :( But I'm glad to learn they didn't change the ending. One day I might buy that game when I've finished playing my others first.
I know that depression you're talking about and it's horrible when you really get your heart invested in the characters and story. I'll never forget the kool music playing at Club Afterlife w/ the pole dancers lol. That game was so amazing. It's just sad that ended up happening at the end of the series.

kuled2012
12-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Ign are a joke.

playassassins1
12-16-2012, 12:24 PM
People shouldn't listen to IGN... I mean, Hotline Miami... Seriously?

andreja110s
12-16-2012, 12:35 PM
People shouldn't listen to IGN... I mean, Hotline Miami... Seriously?

I donīt know Hotline Miami... Is this the game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNxGZIQpuO0 Because if it is... Iīll go rage....

YuurHeen
12-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Also worth nothing, it's not common for a game on it's 5th iteration to even get consideration for GOTY.

TES V did. so will gta

shobhit7777777
12-16-2012, 12:40 PM
@Pirate

Hell no...I don't part with my money that easy...wait for the price to drop. It'll be 299 soon ;)

As for ME3...I never really thought ME as a franchise to have a very compelling or original narrative..it was just an added bonus. I enjoyed the story but never got into it as much as the other fans..maybe thats why didn't really mind the overall narrative BS. I enjoyed the game for it always was, a squad based TPS with RPG lite mechanics.

Also...why do I sense that hating IGN is becoming the new interwebz fad...like hating COD...?

ProdiGurl
12-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I suspect that IGN's people have been losing credibility over time with their choices of favorites and people are seeing a pattern emerge.
Once that happens, negative sentiment grows & then you get a growing pack mentality of haters :)
The COD thing I think is due to the massive over-hype while the game itself seems the same year after year ... but to be fair, I'm not sure what else they can do when that's the genre of the game itself and tons of people still love it. Esp. MP.

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 02:13 PM
There's not smoke without fire.. IGN's choices are weird and smack of favoritism. CoD is the same game year after year. They both deserve every bit of criticism leveled on them.

andreja110s
12-16-2012, 02:19 PM
IGN is weird.. If there is no AK-47 in the game, itīs not GOTY for them... Yes, okay, some of the nominees donīt have those, but you get my point...

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 02:21 PM
My rage would have blocked out the sun had I seen Black Ops 2 in there among the list.

shobhit7777777
12-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I suspect that IGN's people have been losing credibility over time with their choices of favorites and people are seeing a pattern emerge.
Once that happens, negative sentiment grows & then you get a growing pack mentality of haters :)
The COD thing I think is due to the massive over-hype while the game itself seems the same year after year ... but to be fair, I'm not sure what else they can do when that's the genre of the game itself and tons of people still love it. Esp. MP.

IIRC AC was a favourite....as was COD...but they haven't really given them as much front page time as other titles...or much recognition this time around
IGN has also been supportive of indie titles which are doing something different. Mark of The Ninja comes to mind
IGN has also showcased TWD, Dear Esther and other slightly off-beat titles.
IGN has been overwhelmingly positive about Dishonored

IDK about you but IGN has been a very good site this year..and deserves a sack full of presents.

FrankieSatt
12-16-2012, 02:44 PM
The Ending was the worst you played of any game this year you haven't played ME3 plus its nominated why not AC3.

I'm not a Mass Effect fan so that game doesn't appeal to me, which is why I said based on the game I've played so this year AC3 had the worst ending. In any case, Mass Effect is a series that is loved by Microsfoft, and anything loved by Microsoft will also be loved by gaming publications.

I never said gaming publications were perfect, but they did get it right by not nominating ACIII,

SorryImSoAce
12-16-2012, 04:19 PM
(I thought the walking dead sucked, it literally bored my *** off)

AC3 should definately be in the running for GOTY

andreja110s
12-16-2012, 05:18 PM
(I thought the walking dead sucked, it literally bored my *** off)

AC3 should definately be in the running for GOTY

The walking dead is really boring! Yes, the story is really nice, I like it, but the gameplay!!! *facepalm*

Dangerzone50
12-16-2012, 05:23 PM
if memory serves, all the games from Ac1 to ACB got nominated for GOTY and AC2 actually won quite a few GOTY accolades

But Im actually quite happy that they were completely denied quite a few nominations this time around, Ac3 suffered from so many bugs, shortcomings, and and let-downs it wasn't even funny

cause even though it may be the best selling Ac game to date, it is also the worst reviewed, most returned, and most ticketed game to date

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 06:47 PM
it is also the worst reviewed, most returned, and most ticketed game to date

Sorry, that would be ACR. It was received some harsh words if I remember right.

zerocooll21
12-16-2012, 06:57 PM

+1

I assure you AC3 may have many faults but a boring and predictable story isn't one of them. It isn't a cliche hero singlehandedly defeats all evil story like ME3. And Dishonored, while it had much better stealth, freedom, replayability. its story was weak. If you've played Fable III you know whats gonna happen in Dishonored. The rebel-rises-against-powerful-monarch story has been done to death. And since you've not played it, I won't spoil it for you but the supposed "twist" is no twist at all. You'd see it coming miles away; Haytham's twist was thousands of times better. My mind was raped when I knew the truth O.o

+2

Dangerzone50
12-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Sorry, that would be ACR. It was received some harsh words if I remember right.

true, it was a step down in overall quality from ACB. But it only had one incomplete game play element (the hidden wells) and i only encountered one thing that held me back from 100% sync (the bomb challenge bug) but the workaround for that was quite simple

As opposed to ac3 which had half finished crap all over the game, and several issues that held me back on both of my play throughs including one which has yet to be fixed... and none of these issues had any sort of work around, i had to wait for the patch or restart my game and cross my fingers

kuled2012
12-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey, spoilers.

pirate1802
12-16-2012, 08:25 PM
true, it was a step down in overall quality from ACB. But it only had one incomplete game play element (the hidden wells) and i only encountered one thing that held me back from 100% sync (the bomb challenge bug) but the workaround for that was quite simple

As opposed to ac3 which had half finished crap all over the game, and several issues that held me back on both of my play throughs including one which has yet to be fixed... and none of these issues had any sort of work around, i had to wait for the patch or restart my game and cross my fingers

Well that's down to opinion, but AC3 certainly isn't the worst reviewed AC. Even AC1 received poorer reviews than it.

addchild315
12-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Because there isn't a worst GOTY award.

TrueAssassin77
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
AC3 didnt deserve game of the year.

but Walking dead didn't either. targets a small audience, and if the show wasn't so popular it wouldn't have had the sales it had.Prime example of the title actually making the gamne better than it really is