PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] Removing notoriety for the first time - terrible mission

SixKeys
12-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Sorry for making a separate thread for this, I just need to vent. I'm currently on my second playthrough of AC3 and have come to the conclusion that the mission where Sam Adams tells you to remove posters to lower your notoriety is one of the most frustrating, irritating and least fun missions in the entire game. It might even be worse than the Charles Lee chase. It's not hard per se, if you're content with killing anybody in your path. Trying to do it the stealthy way is incredibly annoying due to guards' nonsensical detection rates and the mini-map not displaying all enemies. I spent at least 20 minutes running back and forth across half of Boston, trying to shake off guards, for the first poster alone.

Here's how things would go down:

Scenario 1: I check on the mini-map if the buildings close to me have any rooftop guards. No rooftop guards, good. I climb on the roof, and suddenly out of nowhere a group of guards on the ground 3 blocks away with no line of sight magically detects me and triggers a chase.

Scenario 2: I manage to avoid several patrols by carefully sneaking around and blending, only to be detected by a rogue Jäger who didn't show up on the mini-map.

Scenario 3: I fight off some guards to allow myself some breathing space, then try to escape before reinforcements arrive. I duck behind a corner that the map shows is supposed to be empty. Except.... Surprise! More invisible Jägers!

Scenario 4: I figure maybe the reason I get detected so often even when I'm not in the line of sight is because I'm sprinting. Maybe if I walk slowly, the guards won't hear me as quickly. I pass a blockade of redcoats more than 50 meters away, facing away from me. I walk at a snail's pace, making not a sound. Somehow magically detected again even though they had their backs turned to me.

This is really terrible mission design. It's supposed to be a tutorial but it teaches the player nothing, because there's no logical connection between his actions and the game. Sneak around, get detected. Blend with NPCs, get detected. Use the rooftops, get detected, even with no rooftop guards. It gets to a point where it's way past anything resembling fun because the game appears to be breaking its own rules.

ace3001
12-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Notoriety in AC3 is one of those things that could've been handled much better. Apparently, Ubisoft still hasn't understood that frustration and challenge are two different things.

Assassin_M
12-14-2012, 03:35 AM
It`s Okay:)

Why are you highlighting this ??

JumpInTheFire13
12-14-2012, 04:49 AM
*Sheldon Cooper voice* There there

EzioAssassin51
12-14-2012, 04:57 AM
This notoriety is the best the series has seen, easily!!

LoyalACFan
12-14-2012, 05:05 AM
This notoriety is the best the series has seen, easily!!

The CONCEPT (defined notoriety levels, harder enemy archetypes) was good, but the implementation needed a little work. Getting into a rooftop fight = ground troops come at you as well? Not cool.

ace3001
12-14-2012, 05:07 AM
This notoriety is the best the series has seen, easily!!What's so good about it? Considering fast travel gets rid of it, I'd say it's pretty weak. Just annoying. You want to go do something and the game goes "be anonymous to interact". Quickly lose the guards. Go back. Get caught in the way. Kill them all and fast travel to lose notoriety cause it's annoying to get caught again.. What's the fun in that?

ProdiGurl
12-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Actually it was that mission that gave me my full appreciation of the new Combat mechs & animations. I somehow got confronted with a ton of guards & had no choice but to fight my way thru it - it was AWESOME. I really liked the mission to get to the first Printer's Shop w/ Adams too.
They upped the guards this time and it's not so simple to shed notoriety like it was before.

What's so good about it? Considering fast travel gets rid of it, I'd say it's pretty weak. Just annoying. You want to go do something and the game goes "be anonymous to interact". Quickly lose the guards. Go back. Get caught in the way. Kill them all and fast travel to lose notoriety cause it's annoying to get caught again.. What's the fun in that?

Ok, then don't use fast travel. Problem solved. It provides an easy out for less skilled gamers.

ace3001
12-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Ok, then don't use fast travel. Problem solved. It provides an easy out for less skilled gamers.That'll make it worse. I use fast travel in that situation simply because I'm sick of it. The issue is not with losing guards. Kill everyone in the vicinity, and you're done. But the problem is that you instantly get caught again unless you go find posters/bribe town criers/bribe printer after each time you become notorious, which gets old very fast.

SixKeys
12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I wonder if the solution wouldn't be to have certain archetypes recognize you at various stages of notoriety, instead of all guards. In principle I like the idea of Jägers being called to search for you when you're fully notorious. It's just a little frustrating that you only have to kill a few guards in the middle of nowhere with no witnesses, and your notoriety instantly goes up a level and somehow every single guard in the entire city suddenly knows who you are. Maybe the system could be tweaked so that:

1 star = More officers on the lookout for you. They have advanced searching techniques and are smarter than your average soldier, so they could spot you faster than regular guards and search through hiding spots. Regular soldiers could maybe make throwaway comments when you walk past like "he looks familiar" but don't start detecting you unless you so something suspicious.
2 stars = Tougher enemies appear in patrols more often. Like when normally you would have two regular soldiers on every street corner, you would now have one regular and one Scotsman. They, along with officers, can recognize you.
3 stars = Jägers and all other enemy types can recognize you, like it is right now. Just nerf the illogical telepathy between guards so you don't get detected if you're being stealthy and sneaking behind their backs.

kuled2012
12-14-2012, 02:36 PM
This is where I grew attached to Connor because of his innocence in saying 'I'll tell the people I didn't do it', I really loved that.

D.I.D.
12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
A bit of weirdness I discovered on that score...

The game placed a pair of guards protecting the door of the printer's shop. I came over the rooftop from the back, hung from the ledge and dropped down the wall above the printer's door. Just as I was trying to figure out if I could safely get behind the guards unseen from the ledge above the door, they began to detect me with back-of-the-head-o-vision. Then I noticed the indicator telling me to press B to enter the shop, so I did, and was magically transported from above the door to the inside of the shop.

ProdiGurl
12-14-2012, 03:26 PM
A bit of weirdness I discovered on that score...

The game placed a pair of guards protecting the door of the printer's shop. I came over the rooftop from the back, hung from the ledge and dropped down the wall above the printer's door. Just as I was trying to figure out if I could safely get behind the guards unseen from the ledge above the door, they began to detect me with back-of-the-head-o-vision. Then I noticed the indicator telling me to press B to enter the shop, so I did, and was magically transported from above the door to the inside of the shop.

Ya that happened to me too but if you think about it, you do know when someone's directly behind you - you're really close to those guards but I do admit the AI's inconsistent (which they are in most all games).
You end up having to fight them when you come back out of the shop.

andreja110s
12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
I just tore a poster 2 meters away from me and got two ´stars´ of notoriety, and from then it was easy to tear other posters down...