View Full Version : In future AC, please bring back real side missions

TrueAssassin77
12-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Assassin contracts are a joke really.

Mail missions are barely noticeable.

what happened here?

Rugterwyper32
12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah. They had some great side missions with the hunting, brawlers, frontiersman, homestead and naval, but the ones I'd consider the most important, the assassination contracts, are really lacking. Honestly, when I first played the hunting and frontiersman missions, I thought assassination contracts would be the same (get a small chat with the quest giver, head to the location, interesting stuff happens) but nope. I felt the hunting missions worked as the assassination contracts of the frontier, why not in the cities have some proper assassination contracts? And while I could have done without courier missions and delivery missions, I believe something about them could have been made into a thieves club set of missions rather than what we got. I was disappointed to see no thieves club set of missions.

InfectedNation
12-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I honestly don't care if delivery missions feel pointless - because they are to an assassin. But I definitely agree that the contracts were poorly implemented compared to previous games.

joaomuas
12-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Yeah. They had some great side missions with the hunting, brawlers, frontiersman, homestead and naval, but the ones I'd consider the most important, the assassination contracts, are really lacking. Honestly, when I first played the hunting and frontiersman missions, I thought assassination contracts would be the same (get a small chat with the quest giver, head to the location, interesting stuff happens) but nope. I felt the hunting missions worked as the assassination contracts of the frontier, why not in the cities have some proper assassination contracts? And while I could have done without courier missions and delivery missions, I believe something about them could have been made into a thieves club set of missions rather than what we got. I was disappointed to see no thieves club set of missions.

Agreed.

LoyalACFan
12-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Agree 100%. Liberation Contracts, Assassination Contracts, Delivery Requests, and Courier Missions were all irritating to locate (with little help from the ineffective viewpoints) and once you got to them, they were a joke to complete. IMO, this is how it should have been.

1. Liberation missions/recruit assignments should have been scripted mission strands (to build character development with your recruits) unlocked in stages as recruits gained experience. And instead of having useless, nameless targets, they should have used the MP characters again.

2. Assassination contracts should have fit the mold of previous games, perhaps given by Sam Adams.

3. Delivery requests were dumb and never should have been made.

4. Courier missions should be challenges like in previous games to test your free-running abilities, not just random "walk here, press Circle" tasks.

BATISTABUS
12-13-2012, 01:07 AM
What do you mean bring back? Assassin's Creed never had good side missions.

tarrero
12-13-2012, 01:23 AM
To me!!!!
naval stuff>>>>>>>>> contracts
1000 times!!!!!

Serrachio
12-13-2012, 01:29 AM
To me!!!!
naval stuff>>>>>>>>> contracts
1000 times!!!!!

Most of the naval contracts had no substance either. It was literally "Sail around a bit and shoot down some ships."

SixKeys
12-13-2012, 01:32 AM
I honestly don't care if delivery missions feel pointless - because they are to an assassin. But I definitely agree that the contracts were poorly implemented compared to previous games.

Then why not replace delivery missions with something more interesting? Honestly I don't even know why they were in this game. It was already a slightly dodgy concept in AC2, in AC3 it really felt like a last-minute addition because they couldn't think of anything else to throw in. At least in AC2 you could read the letters and find interesting or funny stories, like Michaelangelo writing to his father or a two-timing gigolo writing the same letter to two different girls.

cmrggamer
12-13-2012, 03:42 AM
I think the main reason they included the delivery missions like they did was to try and get people to hunt and make an effort to find recipes in chests and actually craft the items. I know I wouldn't have bothered with many of the crafting items (other than upgrades for Connor) if they weren't needed for the missions.
I was disappointed by how there wasn't really much behind the assassination contracts (story-wise) and how it was so easy. I was expecting it to require a little more planning or stealth, personally. I think that would have been nice anyway.

Turul.
12-13-2012, 03:55 AM
i think its kinda obvious this game is so huge and was packed with so much stuff that polish and attention to detail got lost along the way.

have faith assassin's! the next title is sure to be everything everyone expected from ac3 plus more!

DavisP92
12-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Agree 100%. Liberation Contracts, Assassination Contracts, Delivery Requests, and Courier Missions were all irritating to locate (with little help from the ineffective viewpoints) and once you got to them, they were a joke to complete. IMO, this is how it should have been.

1. Liberation missions/recruit assignments should have been scripted mission strands (to build character development with your recruits) unlocked in stages as recruits gained experience. And instead of having useless, nameless targets, they should have used the MP characters again.

2. Assassination contracts should have fit the mold of previous games, perhaps given by Sam Adams.

3. Delivery requests were dumb and never should have been made.

4. Courier missions should be challenges like in previous games to test your free-running abilities, not just random "walk here, press Circle" tasks.

This.

Honestly, AC has became a game about a mercenary rather than an assassin. We don't act like assassins at all, another thing to the list above get rid of the "we have to show the assassin symbol on our character" idea. It's dumb, we know we are playing as an assassin through the story and it's not blending in.

Make the assassin's outfit similar to normal NPCs, we shouldn't be the only one with a hood and white outfit with guns and swords on our waist. If we are then the guards should notice us. I'm tired of playing this game and constantly seeing how bad the Guard AI is.

pirate1802
12-13-2012, 05:41 AM
I didn't have a problem with delivery/courier/liberation contracts. The assassination contracts however.... :( Y U no give us just a small cutscene showing our target doing bad guy-things? Or make him say stuff like.. "We need to reinforce that flank, I'm going there", or.. "you helpless fruit merchant needs to die in three..two..one.." etc. Would have added so much context to our kill. Now it just seems we are killing some random guard.

I agree with Turul, it seems they put in so much that they didn't get enough time to polish some of the stuff. Anyways I enjoyed the other sidequests. Let's hope the "Brotherhood" of AC3 gives them time and opportunity to rectify the faults in AC3 which they couldn't because of time constraints.

LoyalACFan
12-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Honestly, AC has became a game about a mercenary rather than an assassin. We don't act like assassins at all, another thing to the list above get rid of the "we have to show the assassin symbol on our character" idea. It's dumb, we know we are playing as an assassin through the story and it's not blending in.

Make the assassin's outfit similar to normal NPCs, we shouldn't be the only one with a hood and white outfit with guns and swords on our waist. If we are then the guards should notice us. I'm tired of playing this game and constantly seeing how bad the Guard AI is.

The Assassin symbol/eagle motif is cool, but it doesn't need to be blatantly obvious. Altair's robes and Ezio's Constantinople robes kept a reasonable balance on that front. Also, I kind of feel like the hood should be down most of the time. I know it's an iconic part of the series at this point, but in my mind, it's the ancient equivalent of wearing a ski mask while committing a crime; after you commit the crime, the ski mask comes off, because it would obviously make you stick out in a crowd. I'm not sure how they should handle this gameplay-wise, but it's getting a little silly.

Rugterwyper32
12-13-2012, 05:52 AM
The Assassin symbol/eagle motif is cool, but it doesn't need to be blatantly obvious. Altair's robes and Ezio's Constantinople robes kept a reasonable balance on that front. Also, I kind of feel like the hood should be down most of the time. I know it's an iconic part of the series at this point, but in my mind, it's the ancient equivalent of wearing a ski mask while committing a crime; after you commit the crime, the ski mask comes off, because it would obviously make you stick out in a crowd. I'm not sure how they should handle this gameplay-wise, but it's getting a little silly.

I actually feel the way Liberation handles it is the best. Haven't played the game, but seen enough of it to like the concept. 3 different outfits, all having their uses. I'd like them to bring that concept towards the forefront in future games.

DavisP92
12-13-2012, 06:04 AM

The symbol is cool when it's not in the open where your enemies can see it and the concept of stealth is ruined. And I agree with you the hood should be down unless we are about to kill someone or start a fight.

They should work into the game where they character puts the hood down when he's incognito but when he has notoriety then the hood is up

I actually feel the way Liberation handles it is the best. Haven't played the game, but seen enough of it to like the concept. 3 different outfits, all having their uses. I'd like them to bring that concept towards the forefront in future games.

No... I think that concept is stupid. If i'm wearing the outfit of a commoner then I can't kill people? So my skill is based on the outfit i wear? I'll pass on that.

pirate1802
12-13-2012, 06:07 AM
I think they should tweak that idea before implementing it. Its a nice idea to have different outfits, but what Pdavis3 said.. Its a good start, just not good enough to be implemented in the main game yet.

Rugterwyper32
12-13-2012, 06:11 AM
I can agree with that. I personally loved the idea they had from the start, and it has a lot of potential to work out if done properly, but it does need polishing. The idea is there and it's good, but it'll need to be properly executed to fit well into the series without becoming an issue.

Assassin_M
12-13-2012, 06:51 AM
The missions just need Context...
Mail: A dialogue, a time to reach destination, another dialogue and a random occurrence...
Delivery: A dialogue at start and end and Random Occurrence.. (E3 Demo ???????)
Assassination: ACB....just that...

every thing else is fine in my opinion

SixKeys
12-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Regarding the assassin symbol, I'm disappointed that out of all the things they set to innovate, the assassin's classic white hood look wasn't one of them. When we played as Haytham, it was cool because his costume was simply a period-specific noble outfit. He actually looked like he could blend in with no trouble, and we all believed him to be an assassin for the first several sequences of the game. So clearly the excuse "but it doesn't feel like I'm playing as an assassin if he doesn't have the white hood!" is nonsense. It's all about how the character behaves. So why did the devs go with this idea that assassins need special robes because it's like a job uniform? Didn't Alta´r say in his Codex that the brotherhood shouldn't stick to tradition just for the sake of tradition? In his time, the assassins had never used poison and always performed their executions in public, but these were ultimately detrimental to their cause, so they adapted. Plastering your order's symbol all over your outfit and wearing distinct white robes everywhere you go is just one of these things. The Templars have no need for special robes, that's why they can better blend in in all aspects of society.

kuled2012
12-13-2012, 09:19 AM
What do you mean bring back? Assassin's Creed never had good side missions.

ac2? acb? :S

ProdiGurl
12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Then why not replace delivery missions with something more interesting? Honestly I don't even know why they were in this game. It was already a slightly dodgy concept in AC2, in AC3 it really felt like a last-minute addition because they couldn't think of anything else to throw in. At least in AC2 you could read the letters and find interesting or funny stories, like Michaelangelo writing to his father or a two-timing gigolo writing the same letter to two different girls.

I liked that too. ACII was full of interesting depth like that and it's probly a strong reason as to why people like it so much.

I was disappointed by how there wasn't really much behind the assassination contracts (story-wise) and how it was so easy. I was expecting it to require a little more planning or stealth, personally. I think that would have been nice anyway.

Yep

This.

As to the outfit.... the minute they do that, the fashionista's are going to start riots. Anything plain and they're grabbing lit torches & pitch forks. But to be fair, I don't really want to look like an NPC either tho. I mean, this is a game - it's not supposed to be completely realistic & that was one of first trademarks of AC - the garb.
I think it's more your setting - in Colonial America it stands out even more than in the Middle East or Italy. ?

The missions just need Context...
Mail: A dialogue, a time to reach destination, another dialogue and a random occurrence...
Delivery: A dialogue at start and end and Random Occurrence.. (E3 Demo ???????)
Assassination: ACB....just that...

every thing else is fine in my opinion
Yep exactly - context. & I never did delivery missions in previous games becuz I detest anything timed. If they're reasonable time challenges, fine.

SkiesSeven
12-13-2012, 01:04 PM
While the Naval missions are technically well-executed, I still didn't feel it was right to play this Master & Commander kind of role in an Assassins game.

DavisP92
12-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I liked that too. ACII was full of interesting depth like that and it's probly a strong reason as to why people like it so much.

As to the outfit.... the minute they do that, the fashionista's are going to start riots. Anything plain and they're grabbing lit torches & pitch forks. But to be fair, I don't really want to look like an NPC either tho. I mean, this is a game - it's not supposed to be completely realistic & that was one of first trademarks of AC - the garb.
I think it's more your setting - in Colonial America it stands out even more than in the Middle East or Italy. ?

I understand, trust me i do. You do want a character that appears different from the other 1000 of npcs on the screen. It may just be me and a few of my friends, but the concept of a guy dressed completely different with weapons from head to toe just feels like it should draw attention. If they were to make it similar, there would still have to be a noticeably different appearance to the npcs. Which then would be challenging, how do you make an assassin that looks the same was everyone else to the computer but different to us?

But they could do something about the weapons, more weapons means more notoriety/guard attention

ProdiGurl
12-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I understand, trust me i do. You do want a character that appears different from the other 1000 of npcs on the screen. It may just be me and a few of my friends, but the concept of a guy dressed completely different with weapons from head to toe just feels like it should draw attention. If they were to make it similar, there would still have to be a noticeably different appearance to the npcs. Which then would be challenging, how do you make an assassin that looks the same was everyone else to the computer but different to us?

But they could do something about the weapons, more weapons means more notoriety/guard attention

I know, good luck with figuring out how to look different but not TOO different. Hey, let's just be thankful that we don't still wear a Cape and call it a day eh? lol
Personally I hate easily catching notoriety becuz it makes the entire game tedious - the other problem the weapon notoriety causes is a fairness issue - better players probly don't need more weapons to do kills than someone like me...so moderate gamers get penalized w/ higher notoriety if the need more weapons.
Or, you're penalized for using the variety of weapons they do offer.
I dunno... I'm fine ether way I guess. I make due with whatever they throw at me as best I can :D

BATISTABUS
12-13-2012, 05:48 PM
ac2? acb? :S
Like? The best ones I can think of were the ones with the multiplayer characters, but those mostly benefited from novelty and were shallow at best. =/

kuled2012
12-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Like? The best ones I can think of were the ones with the multiplayer characters, but those mostly benefited from novelty and were shallow at best. =/

The courtesan missions in ACB were great fun, and Templar agents missions, the assassination contract received from Machiavelli and Lorenzo di Medici showed why this person must be killed (which was lacking in AC3)..The Assassin tombs and the Lairs of Romulus? C'mon, how can you forget the tombs!

BATISTABUS
12-13-2012, 10:16 PM
The courtesan missions in ACB were great fun, and Templar agents missions, the assassination contract received from Machiavelli and Lorenzo di Medici showed why this person must be killed (which was lacking in AC3)..The Assassin tombs and the Lairs of Romulus? C'mon, how can you forget the tombs!
The tombs were fantastic, but I wasn't really counting them as side-missions. While they're technically side-content, I was thinking more along the line of NPC interaction-based missions. Definitely missing those, though. Probably one of the biggest disappointments of AC3 for me personally.

Yeah, even those that you mentioned never left an impact on me. Red Dead Redemption is an example of a game with really simple tasks involving interesting characters (that you only really see for that mission) that really contribute to developing the character. For me, even if/when AC attempted this, the result was nowhere near as good.

she-assassin
12-13-2012, 10:30 PM
I would honestly like the side missions much, much more if they had some kind of story or if they were actually at least a bit relevant to the plot.

EzioAssassin51
12-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Most of the naval contracts had no substance either. It was literally "Sail around a bit and shoot down some ships."

You make it sound bland while it's in fact quite fun to do so :p

I agree the assassination contracts were boring but make with what you have, I tried to think of different ways to kill each target, give myself more challenge or add a bit more fun to it :P The courier missions and delivery missions were nothing special but they weren't detrimentally game-breaking.

The Liberation contracts were alright, save the carrying the sick people to a hospital, and the actual missions with the assassins were fun! The hunting society, brawlers and Naval were really fun side missions, and I enjoyed the challenges for each faction.

And someone said something about missing a thieves guild kinda stuff. That wouldn't make sense since the colonies didn't have that like Rome and Constantinople :p

Honestly, AC has became a game about a mercenary rather than an assassin. We don't act like assassins at all, another thing to the list above get rid of the "we have to show the assassin symbol on our character" idea.

I think we still act like an assassin, after all we still gain contracts, kill people and not to mention AC3 was the most like an assassin since AC2, in terms of our main story targets, you know, having a list of people he needs to go and kill and killing them one by one to destroy the Templar order.
And the hood fair enough, but Connor did blend in better than Ezio ever did, albeit still not completely. I saw keep the hood, it gives significance. Who cares if it's a bit unrealistic. That's the point of these video games. If you're gonna get like that, like many other people have said, you may as well run for 5 minutes, then walk for the other 30 minutes since in real life you'd get tired, not climb buildings since you can't really do that like in AC, and especially not do leaps of faith or kill people since that's unrealistic in the AC style too!

Plus, the actual Assassin symbol IS barely noticeable!

DavisP92
12-14-2012, 02:01 AM
I know, good luck with figuring out how to look different but not TOO different. Hey, let's just be thankful that we don't still wear a Cape and call it a day eh? lol
Personally I hate easily catching notoriety becuz it makes the entire game tedious - the other problem the weapon notoriety causes is a fairness issue - better players probly don't need more weapons to do kills than someone like me...so moderate gamers get penalized w/ higher notoriety if the need more weapons.
Or, you're penalized for using the variety of weapons they do offer.
I dunno... I'm fine ether way I guess. I make due with whatever they throw at me as best I can :D

Yea they would have to change the notoriety again, if they were to do the weapon notoriety thing. I was looking at it as each weapon has to have something special about it, and honestly the majority of the weapons are all the same. I'm sure you can kill every guard with only using hand to hand combat, the game allows it. But idk how they would do it but I would really like Ubisoft to take AC into another direction. Add more RPG elements or something, idk

ProdiGurl
12-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm in agreement on more RPG less "action" based. I agree you don't really need a whole lot of weapons - it's just that more types of weapons allow us more options for different types of Kills. I don't personally want to use only blades thru the entire game. In fact, in ACIII, I lost a few bigger fights just using them & had to switch to my iron dagger & more rope dart action. :/

I guess it's fair to say that it's alot easier to make demands than it is to flesh out ones that actually work and would satisfy a majority of fans. And even then people complain when they requested/suggested it in previous releases.

TrueAssassin77
12-14-2012, 04:37 PM
i simply don't understand the logic behind dumb-ing down assassination contracts to such a degree. why?

Baked_Cookies
12-14-2012, 08:42 PM
When it comes to side quests Im mainly upset at the fact that I have finished them and none will pop up but it says I havent completed the missions in the Tracker thats my only side quest complaint