PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Desmond Miles? [spoilers]

she-assassin
12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
That's it. Just a simple yes\no question. You like him or not. Also, please, write your answer and the order in which you played the games below in the comments. You see I have this little theory that people who play the games in chronological order from AC1 to AC3 get attached to Desmond as a character, while those who start let's say with ACB and then go back to AC1 and AC2 or those who never played AC1, usually don't care about him and the modern day story. I just want to find out if it's true.

pirate1802
12-11-2012, 03:14 PM
I played all the games in chronological order and I wasn't very attached to him. I don't hate him, but I don't like hi either. To me he is just a plot device to go into the Animus and then the real fun begins! :D

Felix-Vivo
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Revelations, 1 and some of 2, Brotherhood, 2, 3.
I just love Desmond <3

TinyTemplar
12-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Nobody likes Desmond, voting is fake

POP1Fan
12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Nobody likes Desmond, voting is fake

I like Desmond. I hate Lucy. Problem?

TOMatXL
12-11-2012, 03:58 PM
No. Although as we know it, he needs to be in the game and his reasoning with the rest of the crew gives some coherence and nice updates concerning the present day storyline. But please, do not make me control him or sometimes even look at him. To me he's a lazy @ss do- and know- nothing type of guy unless he's being told what to do or what to think lol. And please, stop putting him in that silly assassin wannabee hooded sweater like some teenage superfan kid just to make him 'fit in' with the ancestors... in the animus, those hooded attires work more or less in the main cultural setting but at present day he just looks like an unemployed lazy guy. Hell, then I'd rather give him a spiderman suit instead :P

played: AC / ACII / AC Brotherhood / AC Revelations / AC III

ACfan443
12-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Yes I like Desmond, the poor guy didn't get the attention or character development he deserved. I played the games in the order: AC1, AC2, ACB, ACR and AC3.

TinyTemplar
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I like Desmond. I hate Lucy. Problem?

I don't care. Who are you? Desmond bought you)

HisSpiritLives
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeahh i like him because i dont know...maybe because he is in my fav franchise/

Assassin_M
12-11-2012, 04:57 PM
AC I ------> I was "Cool" about Desmond. looked.....helpless ?? Whined a lot too...it was funny:p
AC II ------> Desmond who ?
ACB ------> "Come on gang lets solve the Mystery" "Scooby dooby doooooo"
ACR ------> Started to actually care for Desmond
AC III ------> He became a badass

I like him

HisSpiritLives
12-11-2012, 04:58 PM
AC I ------> I was "Cool" about Desmond. looked.....helpless ?? Whined a lot too...it was funny:p
AC II ------> Desmond who ?
ACB ------> "Come on gang lets solve the Mystery" "Scooby dooby doooooo"
ACR ------> Started to actually care for Desmond
AC III ------> He became a badass

I like him

He became real assassins in AC3 but i feel like they didnt finish him yet.

ProGamerX56
12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Desmond is great, but some reviewers say he's dull, assassin's creed wouldn't be assassin's creed without him! :D

TheHumanTowel
12-11-2012, 05:11 PM
I played the series in order and I always liked Desmond. Never found him bland or uninteresting. He never got the development or attention he deserved.

Grandmaster_Z
12-11-2012, 05:12 PM
I've played them all in chronological order. never really cared for desmond until AC3. just when i started to like him its over.

TinyTemplar
12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Oh no... I do not want all the boys wanted to be like Desmond, stop it, he's dull :D Daniel Cross twice better than this, and he showed up only for ten minutes!

kriegerdesgottes
12-11-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't really like him but I would like to see him in the next game so he can have a proper ending.

TinyTemplar
12-11-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't really like him but I would like to see him in the next game so he can have a proper ending.
lol, you're right, indeed xD

DrBlutengott
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
AC2, ACB, AC1, ACR, AC3

I dont like him at all. When you look at him next to Ezio, or Altair or even Connor, Desmond just doesnt stand up. It also doesnt help that the few times he gets to do things outside of the Animus its boring and the enviroments are unappealing as hell. Not to mention the Animus Island Desmond's Journey scenes. Desmond just doesnt appeal to me the same way as the other awesome Assassins. Id rather he was just cut out and have our historical murder games. Wed also have the advantage of not being limited to this guys ancestors that he has to resemble (Japanese Assassin please) ala Liberation with more not-handheld consoleness.

And please, stop putting him in that silly assassin wannabee hooded sweater like some teenage superfan kid just to make him 'fit in' with the ancestors... in the animus, those hooded attires work more or less in the main cultural setting but at present day he just looks like an unemployed lazy guy.

This so much this. Shaun dresses nice, Q dresses nice, Lucy dressed nice. Even Rebecca could be argued for. Get this guy a sweater vest and an oxford shirt stat.

pirate1802
12-11-2012, 06:05 PM

That I'd like to see too. No one should pass fro this world without knowing some kindness. :(

Lightpex
12-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Played every game in chronological order. Loved the guy.

shobhit7777777
12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
No.

Desmond was a shell of a character. He was the uninteresting and boring expository side of an otherwise interesting, immersive and intriguing narrative. He never developed and was a constant headache for me.

The thing is I associate Desmond with the boring stuff in AC. That multiplies the annoyance factor. Also, post ACII the devs tried to get some more depth into him and also moved towards giving him a more fleshed out backstory....it all fell flat. All it did was focus on the horrible little wart that Desmond is.

I was absolutely ecstatic when that moron dropped dead.

pirate1802
12-11-2012, 07:32 PM
^lolol that last part xD

Your views on Desmond sound very much like one of my friends. had he lived in Mubai I'd think he was you! xD

shobhit7777777
12-11-2012, 07:36 PM
^lolol that last part xD

Your views on Desmond sound very much like one of my friends. had he lived in Mubai I'd think he was you! xD

Your friend is a wise, wise person...

oh and **** Desmond. With a crossbow. The curved part with the arrowhead. A wooden crossbow...with splinters.

TinyTemplar
12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
oh and **** Desmond. With a crossbow. The curved part with the arrowhead. A wooden crossbow...with splinters.
pure truth

TheBearJew32
12-11-2012, 07:59 PM
i liked him. i started the franchise with him, all the way back in 2007, and followed him on his journey til the (end?). i like nolan north as well. north is amazing

evil9494
12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
I like Desmond. And wanted also more playing time with me still I hope in the future they will involve him somewhere, but. Lucy and Desmond were so good and Ubisoft just throw them in the Recycle bin. Sad but money ruins the game called Assassin's Creed more and more. Yes it evolves in graphic lovations, bla bla bla but it does not feel like AC1 or AC2.

SkiesSeven
12-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Lucy and Desmond were so good and Ubisoft just throw them in the Recycle bin

Lucy and Desmond? Dude, they are as shallow as they come in video game land - A bartender with daddy issues, and a blonde as generic as ever.

They should've murdered the earphones-chick as well (Rebecca). She is so annoying. I've been wanting to kill her since AC: Brotherhood but sadly Ubi never gave me the chance.

If only! - hahaha

TinyTemplar
12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Everyone likes Shaun as I see

HisSpiritLives
12-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Everyone likes Shaun as I see

Well some guys think he is little anoying but i personaly really like him and Rebecca

TinyTemplar
12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Rebecca is cool, but they did something to her face in the last game :confused:

Deadlysyns666
12-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Desmond who is that guy i played all the games in order and i found him pointless and stuff

bayako
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
it's ubisoft fault that a lot of fans cannot connect to desmond....i meant we played so little with him and yet i thought that the present storyline was as much as important as interesting...because you always had that nice contrast...it's good that in ac3 you can replay desmond levels until the very end...;D
maybe i don't know...but maybe in the next ac he comes back in sort of a subject16/clay form or minerva helps him getting a sort of ghost shape,,,whatver...
the desmond missions in ac3 were fun could have been longer...if there was a desmond dlc i'll buy it immediately!:D

TinyTemplar
12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
maybe i don't know...but maybe in the next ac he comes back in sort of a subject16/clay form or minerva helps him getting a sort of ghost shape,,,whatver...
I'll be like "NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!" )

WarriorAegis
12-11-2012, 08:34 PM
At first, I didn't like him mainly because he took me away from the fun stuff: being the Assassin.

But later on, he grew on me, especially in Brotherhood.

Deadlysyns666
12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
But hes out of his time Cross is horrible he should of stood far enough back Desmond couldn't hit him seriously horrible guys

she-assassin
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
But hes out of his time Cross is horrible he should of stood far enough back Desmond couldn't hit him seriously horrible guys
I told myself I would just keep an eye on this thread and wouldn't interfere, BUT I get extremely overprotective when it comes to certain characters. Daniel Cross is a badass and actually flawless character (AC3 never happened) and don't you ever try to say otherwise.

Deadlysyns666
12-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I told myself I would just keep an eye on this thread and wouldn't interfere, BUT I get extremely overprotective when it comes to certain characters. Daniel Cross is a badass and actually flawless character (AC3 never happened) and don't you ever try to say otherwise.
He was horrible and stuff and totally not worthy to be a sleeper Agent. He was a horrible guy to send to stop Desmond especially after he failed the first time.

she-assassin
12-11-2012, 08:58 PM
He was horrible and stuff and totally not worthy to be a sleeper Agent. He was a horrible guy to send to stop Desmond especially after he failed the first time.
I said AC3 never happened, so your point is invalid. Besides, he was the one who delivered Desmond to Abstergo in the first place.

Deadlysyns666
12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I said AC3 never happened, so your point is invalid. Besides, he was the one who delivered Desmond to Abstergo in the first place.
AC3 happened its super Canon more then any book that some people might not read. Desmond wasn't trained then but honestly if my so called Agent failed that bad i mean he had a gun on him and he still let him get away. I would totally not Send him again

Kaschra
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
I played AC2 before AC1, the rest was in the right order though (Back then I knew there was a guy called Desmond during modern day times and he was relieving the memories of his ancestors... but I didn't know there was such an interesting modern day story...)

I really liked him from the beginning and I like him even more now :)
I like all Modern Day assassins, expect for William maybe, but even he grew on me during AC3 (mostly the later parts, he pissed me off during the beginning....)

CanterburyTales
12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I liked Desmond. I played the games in chronological order, and I really wish they hadn't killed him off at the end of AC 3; I always thought that he deserved at least some sort of happy ending, what with his whole life sucking.

Deadlysyns666
12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I liked Desmond. I played the games in chronological order, and I really wish they hadn't killed him off at the end of AC 3; I always thought that he deserved at least some sort of happy ending, what with his whole life sucking.
His happy ending was saving the world

she-assassin
12-11-2012, 10:06 PM
I played AC2 before AC1, the rest was in the right order though (Back then I knew there was a guy called Desmond during modern day times and he was relieving the memories of his ancestors... but I didn't know there was such an interesting modern day story...)

I really liked him from the beginning and I like him even more now :)
I like all Modern Day assassins, expect for William maybe, but even he grew on me during AC3 (mostly the later parts, he pissed me off during the beginning....)
A little bit OT, but I have to say it. Every time I see your signature I immediately remember The Lost Archive and it makes me really sad. And depressed. In a good way, of course :) (that is, if it's even possible to feel depressed in a good way).
Also, I agree about William. I felt the same way.

Kaschra
12-11-2012, 10:12 PM
A little bit OT, but I have to say it. Every time I see your signature I immediately remember The Lost Archive and it makes me really sad. And depressed. In a good way, of course :) (that is, if it's even possible to feel depressed in a good way).
Also, I agree about William. I felt the same way.

Same signature quote buddies! xD

I really hated William when he punched Desmond in his face. It made me so angry...
But later on he regretted everything and apologized and... and he wanted Desmond to return back home and... urgh... ;__;

she-assassin
12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Same signature quote buddies! xD

I really hated William when he punched Desmond in his face. It made me so angry...
But later on he regretted everything and apologized and... and he wanted Desmond to return back home and... urgh... ;__;
Yep, Clay always had really profound lines. :D

I know, right? And when they talked about Desmond's mom and William said that no, Desmond can't talk to her...grrr... I mean it was his last and only chance, and... yeah, I still didn't get over it.

UrDeviant1
12-11-2012, 10:27 PM
I didn't mind him, he was okay. His ancestors completely overshadowed him imo. I thought he was a bit of a whiny ***** In AC3 though, when he was complaining about being asked to do stuff all the time, even though he was on his way to SAVING THE WORLD. He deserved the punch his dad gave him.

Eduard413
12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Desmond is the best character in the entire series, his story was the best, every AC was about him not about Ezio or Connor or Altair, it was about him all the time
his story was also the most interesting one and the ACIII ruined his story for me, yeah the missions were great as him and the dialogs too but still, final battle with Vidic was terrible, with Cross also and Desmond ending was totally bad, Idea is great, the story will continue in interesting way but the way they did it still sucks and I hate it, no epicness, emotions, mindblowing scenes and also the glyphs were not explained
ACIII was great, for Connor it was so awesome I love the campaign as Connor but Desmond, ****, his story was ruined for me, I hope Ubisoft will make at least one game which will finish him better
I played all AC games in chronological order, I mean, those who started the game from Brotherhood and didnt play the AC1 AC2, ****, off course they donīt like Desmond, but I mean, all the games would be worse without him

theJOKER501
12-12-2012, 03:07 AM
I'm sorry but I have always though he was a DB. I was never a fan of the present day aspect anyway, but I understand why it was there but just could not feel an emotional attachment to it.

SixKeys
12-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Played all the games in order and yes, I like Desmond. It never bothered me that he was more of a blank slate than a fully developed personality. It's a typical trick in movies that have a fantastical element to have an ordinary character with whom the viewer can identify because they're just as clueless as this Average Joe character. In AC1 you didn't really do anything as Desmond except explore the Abstergo lab and read e-mails. You couldn't run or do cool stuff except outside the Animus because you were trapped and powerless in real life. This was a clever way to place the player in the same situation as Desmond. As Desmond was living through Altaïr, in a way we were living through Desmond. From AC2 onwards there was clearly more of an effort to change his character into a more active one because so many players complained, but he still remains fairly passive up until AC3. He's a bit like Neo in The Matrix. Uninteresting as a character in his own right, but becomes cool through player projection.

pirate1802
12-12-2012, 03:29 AM
He deserved the punch his dad gave him.

Lol, I was happy as a kid on his birthday when I saw William punch Desmond, he totally deserved it. Sometimes children cross a line arguing with their parents (same goes for me when I argue, and for Connor), they bring into question everything their parents have done in their lives, they need a little wake up call.

Also, I found William to be a far more interesting character in the what.. one hour we saw of him? Than Desmond after all this time with him.

DavisP92
12-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Add to the pole, "Do you care about Desmond Miles?"

SixKeys
12-12-2012, 03:49 AM
Lol, I was happy as a kid on his birthday when I saw William punch Desmond, he totally deserved it. Sometimes children cross a line arguing with their parents (same goes for me when I argue, and for Connor), they bring into question everything their parents have done in their lives, they need a little wake up call.

William was an *** in that scene. Desmond had every right to question him, after William pushed him so hard in his childhood to train every day for a cause Desmond had no reason to believe even existed. From the sounds of it, what Desmond went through was child abuse in the hands of a father who didn't devote enough time to forming a bond with him because he was too focused on turning Desmond into a warrior. Desmond also implies William used to physically abuse him before he escaped from the Farm.

Assassin_M
12-12-2012, 04:04 AM
I liked the punch scene for emotion more than anything...

I did not really feel he deserved it, but I do not blame William either...I look at it from more than one point of view..

That scene was better than anything the that the past modern day portions offered, In my Opinion...

That and when he lashed out at Juno after the she showed him the third solution and finally came to terms that he killed Lucy

SixKeys
12-12-2012, 04:12 AM
That and when he lashed out at Juno after the she showed him the third solution and finally came to terms that he killed Lucy

Yeah, that was one of the most emotional scenes in the game for me. I just wish they'd have had a better explanation for Lucy's death than "I saw in my head I had to kill her".

Assassin_M
12-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Yeah, that was one of the most emotional scenes in the game for me. I just wish they'd have had a better explanation for Lucy's death than "I saw in my head I had to kill her".
A lot of what was explained in the game could`v had better presentation..

The ending for example..

B_Crispino
12-12-2012, 04:24 AM
It's funny... I liked him more in the previous games... I guess i just didnt enjoyed watching him killing so cold blooded those abstergo agents... I know he's an assassin, but still... some of his naivety made him a more enjoyable character. but i'm saying that cos i didnt kill any of the abstergo guards in the end of AC2

CalgaryJay
12-12-2012, 06:54 AM
There should be a 3rd option for simply being indifferent about him, that's where I'm at. Don't like him, don't hate him either. He's just sort of "meh" to me.

LoyalACFan
12-12-2012, 08:38 AM

The ending for example..

Yup.

SweetsMachineGun
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM

The ending for example..

Basically this.

And as for the poll, I love Desmond and I played all the games chronologically.

Kaschra
12-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I really like the result of the poll. It seems the Desmond haters are just the vocal minority.

TinyTemplar
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
You want to say, that only 58 people play AC? Good conclusion.

pirate1802
12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
*grabs popcorn*

Kaschra
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Yes, of course only 58 people played the games, didn't you know that? :nonchalance:

she-assassin
12-13-2012, 09:25 PM
There should be a 3rd option for simply being indifferent about him, that's where I'm at. Don't like him, don't hate him either. He's just sort of "meh" to me.
No, there will be no neutral option. I did it on purpose. I want people to finally make up their mind about Desmond.

Torvaldesq
12-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I like Desmond. He didn't start to feel like he was a proper protagonist until they decided to start giving him a stronger backstory. I played the games in order, and when they decided to delve into his character with AC: Revelations, he really became a better character. I liked the idea of him being raised in some rural Assassin commune hiding from the rest of the world, him getting away from that, how he acclimated to the "real" world and looked back on his time growing up as him being raised by a delusional modern-day cult with paranoid fears of the modern world and the evil corporations.

.... And then it all turns out to be true. The voice actor did a great job of delivering the sense of "You have got to be F*&#ing kidding me?!" that Desmond has at this after everything he had been raised through and escaped. I think anyone who did not listen to all the Desmond monologues in AC:R's Desmond missions would feel a lot less inclined to like the character. For that matter, they did a great job with Clay's character too in AC:R. (Though I hated how they handled Lucy's plot, and still feel like it was a last-minute decision that wasn't well thought out).

Bullet747
12-13-2012, 10:24 PM
AC1 - He was alright
AC2 - Boring
ACB - He's okay again
ACR - Somewhat interested
AC3 - A little more interested

rupok2
12-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Yes I like Desmond. I played all games in chronological order. Although in Ac1 and Ac2 I didn't care for desmond, I started caring after ACB and by the end of ACR I really thought he was cool because we learn a lot more about him. Before he never seemed like a main character or someone I could relate too, he felt like an excuse to use the animus but after ACR he became the main character and I could relate to him in many ways.

r4inm4n1991
12-14-2012, 02:23 AM
I liked him since the beginning. I just think that he has the weight of the world on hes shoulders, everyone just keeps giving to him stuff to do.

she-assassin
12-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Bumping this thread because I still want to see an opinion of someone who played only AC3 and none of the previous games.

rocketxsurgeon
12-18-2012, 04:34 PM
At first i wasn't bothered about Desmond at all, infact i found him quite boring.

But since Brotherhood i've started to become more attatched to him and like him more.

kuled2012
12-18-2012, 04:41 PM
AC1: Interesting
AC2: Boring
ACB: Fun missions with him
ACR: Boring
AC3: Bad ***
So yes, I liked him.

zMrFahrenheit
12-18-2012, 04:47 PM
No.

Desmond was a shell of a character. He was the uninteresting and boring expository side of an otherwise interesting, immersive and intriguing narrative. He never developed and was a constant headache for me.

The thing is I associate Desmond with the boring stuff in AC. That multiplies the annoyance factor. Also, post ACII the devs tried to get some more depth into him and also moved towards giving him a more fleshed out backstory....it all fell flat. All it did was focus on the horrible little wart that Desmond is.

I was absolutely ecstatic when that moron dropped dead.

That ^^^^^^^^^
I agree 140% with you, including when that moron dropped dead.

ACR, AC, AC2, ACB, AC3

shobhit7777777
12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
That ^^^^^^^^^

ACR, AC, AC2, ACB, AC3

lol!

pirate1802
12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
No, there will be no neutral option. I did it on purpose. I want people to finally make up their mind about Desmond.

Boring bartender is boring. There is a reason Ubisoft doesn't included him in there grand Assassin line up pics, he would devalue the entire pic. If I saw a wannabe cool guy with an amateur hoodie among the stalwarts in that 5th anniversary wallpaper I'd immediately Shift+delete it.

*Seeks a safe place to hide before the Desmond fangirls swarm him*

xboxauditore
12-18-2012, 05:09 PM
That ^^^^^^^^^

ACR, AC, AC2, ACB, AC3

Oh god I'm laughing so hard right now.:D

pirate1802
12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
And yes, I too was somewhat happy at AC3's ending because of the possibility of having a new modern-day ancestor who was not as interesting as a potato. Everyone around him is more interesting than him. Yes, i know its totally subjective, but even William is 1000 times more interesting than him to me. I'd more than happy playing the next AC as William.

EaglePrince25
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Don't like him, don't hate him. I tend to associate the worst parts of the series with Desmond. What really gets me is that they tried to make him more interesting as the games went on, and it really looked like it would all come to a head in AC3, but his missions never had him really cutting loose and the entire story fell flat at the end. Very sad.

xboxauditore
12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
What about Shaun and Rebecca, Shaun is Obnoxious and British (Like me!) and Rebecca is Smart and pretty. They're much more interesting than Dezzy.

shobhit7777777
12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Boring bartender is boring. There is a reason Ubisoft doesn't included him in there grand Assassin line up pics, he would devalue the entire pic. If I saw a wannabe cool guy with an amateur hoodie among the stalwarts in that 5th anniversary wallpaper I'd immediately Shift+delete it.

*Seeks a safe place to hide before the Desmond fangirls swarm him*

Desmond elicited acid reflux

Its not bad enough that he was a bore but that he actually annoyed me thanks to his personality. Everytime I had to play or watch Desmond...I just facepalmed and dropkicked the neighbour's puppy.

xboxauditore
12-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Desmond elicited acid reflux

Its not bad enough that he was a bore but that he actually annoyed me thanks to his personality. Everytime I had to play or watch Desmond...I just facepalmed and dropkicked the neighbour's puppy.

Hehe, Dropkicks. Yeah I never liked how Desmond was a Sarcastic smug d**che. I loved the Desmond Missions, But they were just retrieval missions, No Assassinations or anything.

pirate1802
12-18-2012, 05:36 PM
I loved the Desmond Missions, But they were just retrieval missions, No Assassinations or anything.

They can't do more than that because doing so would just turn this game into a Splinter Cell clone.
And so we are stuck with ridiculous fistfights (and stickfights) with 21st century security forces,

shobhit7777777
12-18-2012, 05:38 PM
They can't do more than that because doing so would just turn this game into a Splinter Cell clone.
And so we are stuck with ridiculous fistfights (and stickfights) with 21st century security forces,

That elicited crotch-punching

ToughGuy31
12-19-2012, 02:23 AM
I rented Ac1, then bought Ac2 and fell in love with the series, then Brotherhood, the revelations and so on.

Actually Desmond is my favorite character along with Connor, and I'm ticked of they gave him a crappy ending.

ToughGuy31
12-19-2012, 02:29 AM
IKR, I mean everything up until he revisited Abstergo was amazing... And then he revisited Abstergo, SPIOLERS fought Daniel who was way more lamer than I expected, didn't even meet a single Abstergo trainee, toook down Warren like Warren was a idiot (that part actually sounded awesome) touched a orb, then maybe died. Desmonds story didn't finish, just Desmond.

zMrFahrenheit
12-19-2012, 02:37 AM
I like trains.

LoyalACFan
12-19-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm still clinging to hope that they'll have some way of continuing him... Maybe his consciousness was preserved like Clay's in the Animus or something. Or maybe he's not really dead, who knows. But I really hope his "death" scene wasn't the end.

ToughGuy31
12-20-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm still clinging to hope that they'll have some way of continuing him... Maybe his consciousness was preserved like Clay's in the Animus or something. Or maybe he's not really dead, who knows. But I really hope his "death" scene wasn't the end.

I actually read someone idea that I thought was genius. When Clay hugged Desmond at the end of Revelations, he transferred some of his subconsciousness onto Desmond, so when Desmond touched the orb, it killed Clay, again, not Desmond, witch is why it wasn't painless, because Desmond felt a aftershock. What a twist!

LoyalACFan
12-20-2012, 12:08 AM
I actually read someone idea that I thought was genius. When Clay hugged Desmond at the end of Revelations, he transferred some of his subconsciousness onto Desmond, so when Desmond touched the orb, it killed Clay, again, not Desmond, witch is why it wasn't painless, because Desmond felt a aftershock. What a twist!

Holy crap, that's brilliant. I thought I saw some kind of "essence", for lack of a better word, transfer onto Desmond from Clay in Revelations.

Of course, Juno could have just lied to Desmond about it being painless to convince him to do it.

ToughGuy31
12-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Holy crap, that's brilliant. I thought I saw some kind of "essence", for lack of a better word, transfer onto Desmond from Clay in Revelations.

Of course, Juno could have just lied to Desmond about it being painless to convince him to do it.
That's true. But a man can dream. A man can dream...

slade109
12-20-2012, 12:40 AM
I love desmond D:

ToughGuy31
12-20-2012, 04:42 AM
I like trains.
IKR, they don't get enough screen time in Assassin's creed

pirate1802
12-20-2012, 06:09 AM
IKR, they don't get enough screen time in Assassin's creed

Brb, making a petition.

SweetsMachineGun
12-20-2012, 12:18 PM

This would be so awesome.... :eek: fund it.

TinyTemplar
12-20-2012, 05:46 PM
and what about his hand? It burned down, right? He could die even from this pain

ACPrincess
12-20-2012, 08:00 PM
I have grown to love him. His development from AC1 to AC3 is astonashing and it really atracts me to the game more. I have played all AC games in chronalogical order even the ones on PSP

xboxauditore
12-20-2012, 08:05 PM
I kinda want him to be dead and alive, Alive cus He could get more storyline. But also I want him Dead cus I'm curious to see how they would continue the story without him

ToughGuy31
12-20-2012, 10:18 PM
and what about his hand? It burned down, right? He could die even from this pain
Yeah, but Clay dying instead of Desmond would def make sense, he even said "I'M SAVING YOU YOU IDIOT." Even though at the moment, Desmond could've saved himself and didn't need Clay

AdrianJacek
12-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Yeah, but Clay dying instead of Desmond would def make sense, he even said "I'M SAVING YOU YOU IDIOT." Even though at the moment, Desmond could've saved himself and didn't need Clay
On the 72nd day before the moment of awakening. You, birthed from our loins and the loins of our enemies. The end and the beginning, who we abhor and honor. The FINAL journey commences.

ToughGuy31
12-20-2012, 11:11 PM
On the 72nd day before the moment of awakening. You, birthed from our loins and the loins of our enemies. The end and the beginning, who we abhor and honor. The FINAL journey commences.
Yeah, but what about Eve or "your son"?

zMrFahrenheit
12-20-2012, 11:17 PM
NAAH, because when he said "I'M SAVING YOU YOU IDIOT", he was saving him from the animus, since the Animus was hunting Desmond like he was a virus. Then Clay hugged him, so that the Animus thought that he was Desmond, and therefore, saving him from being "deleted".
Why don't you guys accept the (wonderful and happy and marvelous and wonderful again) fact that Desmond is deaaaaad.

kriegerdesgottes
12-20-2012, 11:24 PM
NAAH, because when he said "I'M SAVING YOU YOU IDIOT", he was saving him from the animus, since the Animus was hunting Desmond like he was a virus. Then Clay hugged him, so that the Animus thought that he was Desmond, and therefore, saving him from being "deleted".
Why don't you guys accept the (wonderful and happy and marvelous and wonderful again) fact that Desmond is deaaaaad.

Because if it's true, and it probably is, then that is the worst ending for a video game protagonist of all time.

zMrFahrenheit
12-20-2012, 11:27 PM
No! Desmond is dead! Lalalalalalala i can't read what you are writing lalallalalalalala!

xboxauditore
12-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Because if it's true, and it probably is, then that is the worst ending for a video game protagonist of all time.

Desmond was nothing more than a human sacrifice, I worked that out looong ago, He's only useful to get to the Assassins memories, Then, He is as useless as a blunt knife.

ToughGuy31
12-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Because we hate when our faverote characters die. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKss2uYpih8 < my response to AC3 ending.

zMrFahrenheit
12-21-2012, 03:22 AM
Because we hate when our faverote characters die. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKss2uYpih8 < my response to AC3 ending.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs < my response to AC3 ending

Jexx21
12-21-2012, 05:03 AM
I love Desmond and I actually think him dying was fitting.

..but I love tragic hero stories..

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 06:24 AM
why would that be the worst ending for a videogame protagonist of all time? I mean I could see how people have an issue with HOW it was done, but not WHAT was done. Its a mature game, deaths do happen all the time. Its not the first time it has been done in a game, too.

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 06:26 AM
He's only useful to get to the Assassins memories, Then, He is as useless as a blunt knife.

QFT.. A plot device. I too saw it this way. That was confirmed by the ludicrous way they handled the modern day combat. After that I was convinced that the only useful Desmond was the one inside the Animus, not outside.

EaglePrince25
12-21-2012, 07:00 AM
QFT.. A plot device. I too saw it this way. That was confirmed by the ludicrous way they handled the modern day combat. After that I was convinced that the only useful Desmond was the one inside the Animus, not outside.

Indeed. Since AC2 the modern day combat has continually disappointed me, and it leads to me not really caring that much about the present day storyline, because I know that whatever fights there are will be awful.

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Indeed. Since AC2 the modern day combat has continually disappointed me, and it leads to me not really caring that much about the present day storyline, because I know that whatever fights there are will be awful.

The only modern day level that I liked was the Skyscraper. Now I know why, it didn't contain any immersion breaking fistfight :/

Slayer_WTF
12-21-2012, 12:20 PM
ac i ------> i was "cool" about desmond. Looked.....helpless ?? Whined a lot too...it was funny:p
ac ii ------> desmond who ?
Acb ------> "come on gang lets solve the mystery" "scooby dooby doooooo"
acr ------> started to actually care for desmond
ac iii ------> he became a badass

i like him

This.

AdrianJacek
12-21-2012, 02:03 PM
The only modern day level that I liked was the Skyscraper. Now I know why, it didn't contain any immersion breaking fistfight :/

Because AC games are soooo realistic. ಠ_ಠ

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Because AC games are soooo realistic. ಠ_ಠ

But non-gun gameplay in an era where everyone and their mom carries a gun is really pushing it. I simultaneously laughed and facepalmed seeing the gameplay. Totally broke it for me.

What's even more funny, the guards do fire guns but only once in a while. Looks like the devs need to be reminded guns these days don't take forever to reload :| ****ing ridiculous. This almost convinced me that good modern day gameplay is not possible without being laughter inducing (as in the case of AC3) or cringeworthy (if it decides to copy Splinter Cell and the likes, which I've seen in many fan suggestions, and which may inevitably happen if they decide to put more realistic modern day gameplay.).

psf22
12-21-2012, 06:35 PM
But non-gun gameplay in an era where everyone and their mom carries a gun is really pushing it. I simultaneously laughed and facepalmed seeing the gameplay. Totally broke it for me.

What's even more funny, the guards do fire guns but only once in a while. Looks like the devs need to be reminded guns these days don't take forever to reload :| ****ing ridiculous. This almost convinced me that good modern day gameplay is not possible without being laughter inducing (as in the case of AC3) or cringeworthy (if it decides to copy Splinter Cell and the likes, which I've seen in many fan suggestions, and which may inevitably happen if they decide to put more realistic modern day gameplay.).

I just make up my own story as in, Connor and even Desmond are so fast that it only looks as if the gun reload is slow (even in modern times). You can dispute this (or not) and I'm sure most might, but that's just my perception.

I don't like guns, so the less emphasis they have in especially a game like this, the better.

ON TOPIC:
Played all the (console) AC games in chronological fashion, and my answer to the Desmond question is: "Why not?"

pirate1802
12-21-2012, 06:38 PM
It's a fine line they walk. I don't like guns either, but then again it's near-impossible not to involve them in modern times. This is why I kinda wished they resolved the whole main modern day plot with AC3 and made future ACs with only ancestral parts (with a placeholder modern day plot to explain the animus).. but clearly Ubi thinks differently. I just hope they know what they're doing.

But I must say one thing, I simply LOVED all the modern day tracks. They help mask some of that stupidity :/

DrBlutengott
12-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Wait I got it. The real story takes place in the year 2432 and Desmond is just another ancestor. Yes?

AdrianJacek
12-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Hey, 8:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUoWahWPpyc

ToughGuy31
12-22-2012, 02:59 AM
why would that be the worst ending for a videogame protagonist of all time? I mean I could see how people have an issue with HOW it was done, but not WHAT was done. Its a mature game, deaths do happen all the time. Its not the first time it has been done in a game, too.
I don't have a problem with the fact he died. I have a problem with HOW HE DIED like you said. He was completely useless. All he did in THE ENTIRE SERIES was kill Lucy, Vidic, Daniel, and unleashed a crazy god who will enslave mankind. You could've got another guy to do all those things. There was no awesome vader vs luke style fight between Desmond and Daniel, no resolution to Lucy or Clay, and Vidic sucked. I wanted more than what he got. How come Ezio and Altiar get a great ending, but Desmond doesn't.

the_atm
12-22-2012, 03:08 AM
I played all the games in chronological order and I wasn't very attached to him. I don't hate him, but I don't like hi either. To me he is just a plot device to go into the Animus and then the real fun begins! :D
Yeah I agree, though they could have done so much more with him, escpialy in Revelations, make him relive memories that wheren't shown in the other games, mandatory memories, like something with him and lucy, like them talking or something, something to emotinally connect the player to Desmond. I mean after what happened, you can't tell me that he's just chilling there on an island...

ToughGuy31
12-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Yeah I agree, though they could have done so much more with him, escpialy in Revelations, make him relive memories that wheren't shown in the other games, mandatory memories, like something with him and lucy, like them talking or something, something to emotinally connect the player to Desmond. I mean after what happened, you can't tell me that he's just chilling there on an island...
Revelations IS THE BIGGEST MISSED OPURTUNITY IN THE AC FRANCHISE YET. Desmond was mentally and emotionly broken, stuck with a lunatic, and his love interest Lucy was , well you know. They screwed up everything about Desmond in Revelations. This was the perfect moment to have players learn about Desmond, but they made him hurt to play as, and his story was basically a playable slideshow (don't know how else to put it.) I would've had the levels third person like the liars in previous games, with Desmond going through his memories with Clay, making the player bond more with both of them.

pirate1802
12-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Nah I was talking of kriegerdesgottes. He said this is the worst ending to a videogame character if Desmond is dead. I don't see how :/

ProGamerX56
12-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I played the series in order and I always liked Desmond. Never found him bland or uninteresting. He never got the development or attention he deserved.

Agree 100%!

DezMord
02-16-2013, 08:49 AM
I actually started with brotherhood and I thought the concept with Desmond was amazing. Shaun,Desmond,Ezio,and the main bad guy were the only was I was fond of then. But then I went back and finally bought AC2 and I freaking fell in love with the story again. I was more head over heels for young stud Ezio of course <3 but I really got a better feel for him, what with getting to understand why he was fighting and such. But hey I also felt for Desmond more as well, what with the hilarious opening(imo) I just loved how in 2 lucy was all like "we gotta go" and how she told Desmond to "shut the **** up" made me cheer and laugh so loud XD so by 2 I freaking loved everyone. I then went back and played 1...and found it rather boring :nonchalance: I missed Ezio. Desmond's part at the beginning was more interesting to me than Altair. I even tried playing again...the areas and graphics are perfection..but I still have no attachment to Altair D: then I skipped Revelations since I was so pumped for 3. And then ultimately I was utterly disappointed. And this is only because of the ending. Nothing more. Nothing less. They killed off my reason for playing. I loved the parts that he had in 3. Like the skysrapper stuff and the running through that stadium thing. It was awesome. But then as it went on...like getting rid of the bad guys...I started getting more and more disappointed...And the part that makes me mad the most is I enjoyed not being connor and just walking around in present time and listening to that god person's story. Like every time I found her I got more and more and more and MORE excited. I was like OOOOOOOOOO soon I get to find out what happened, and then Desmond is gonna do something. SO basically opening that door I expected to be moved. Then bam. nope. no choice..just we are tired of Desmond... I was pissed :I

I'm glad I played in the order I did. I mean I played brotherhood,AC2,AC1,AC3 in that order. But now all I'm doin is replayin AC2 in Italiano cuz it's still amazing no matter how many times I play. But um yeah this is kinda more of how I feel bout all the games lol but yeah I loved Desmond. And I'm upset about him being thrown away. But hey they had to kill somebody...i dont think imma get the next game though...I'll probably just play revelations and finish Ezio's story like I planned before.

bveUSbve
02-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Desmond somewhat grew on me during ACII and Brotherhood. But then came the mediocre Revelations, and most of my sympathy was lost again.
In ACIII, due to the never gaining significant momentum present day storytelling, he stays in the category "likable to some degree (as he always had been), but quite annoyingly stuck with his problematic past".

And of course the Desmond-ending is easily THE biggest disappointment I ever encountered in a video game... (And I have played Mass Effect 3.)

RinoTheBouncer
02-16-2013, 05:01 PM
I do like Desmond.

I played AC from AC-ACIII in their chronological order and I don't think that had something to do with me loving Desmond. On the contrary, with AC, he was interesting to me yet moving round and round purposelessly between the Animus room and my room was just too boring and didn't give us anything. I love how in the end the made him and his present more interesting and gradually starting expanding his role further and further.

I just dislike the fact that they decided to let him go once his story got more interesting. I'd rather heed Minerva's choice and live a "Historical-looking" environment after the catastrophe and have Desmond do more significant actions and somehow Juno is released and the struggle begins..etc.

J7hnny
02-17-2013, 02:14 AM
A rich character, no doubt. Too bad his depth wasn't explored.

FrankieSatt
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes I like Desmond and his story line.

I played in the following order

ACII, Brotherhood, Revelations, ACIII, AC1

I just bought AC1 after finishing ACIII and decided to play them all over again in order which is why AC1 is last. I wasn't planning on playing AC1 but when I wanted to replay the series I decided to buy and play AC1