PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about stealth.

PJ_28
12-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Does anyone experience a few "wtf" moments when trying to do missions in pure stealth??

Particularly in forts. I know I know it would be easier to just go balls to the wall and kill everyone, but I really prefer the stealth path. The AI seems sh**ty at best. Sometimes guards can detect you even if you do nothing but low-profile moves, sometimes you assassinate someone from a haystack in front of a guard staring right at you a few feet away, and he has no reaction at all, and then he would disappear into thin air. Sometimes one guard detects you, and in a split-second the whole army is coming to take your a** down. Sometimes a guard detects you, you fight and make a lot of noise, and nearby guards don't have a clue. Sometimes they can see you through the floor. Sometimes you get detected instantly, no red meter filling up or anything. Sometimes four guards will spawn out of nowhere to detect you. Some guards don't show in the mini-map.

Am I missing something here? Or did they redo the whole stealth compared to the previous AC games? What am I doing wrong? I'm patient, watch and study the guards routes and positions. I'm constantly checking-out my surroundings. Listening to enemies coming. Being aware of their line of sight. Not doing high-profile actions near guards. Constantly checking mini-map. Etc. Etc.

SixKeys
12-11-2012, 07:50 AM
You're not the only one. The AI is severely annoying in AC3. The guards' line of sight is ridiculous sometimes. Sometimes they won't see me from three meters away, at other times it's like they're telepathic and can just sense when one of their friends has just been murdered all the way on the other side of the fort. I will admit that in previous games the detection rate was way too slow and the enemies too oblivious, but it feels like they went too far in trying to make them more realistic this time, to the point where stealth is discouraged. It used to give me a sense of power and achievement when I could take down guards simply by carefully studying their routes and planning my moves. Now it's more about dumb luck. Sometimes I will wait 5 minutes in a haybale for some guy who I KNOW is patrolling around the area and he doesn't appear. So finally I figure it's safe to come out of hiding and suddenly he just pops up out of thin air right in front of me and alerts the whole fort. I also don't get why shooting someone with a bow or poison dart would alert everyone in the area. Those are supposed to be silent weapons.

PJ_28
12-11-2012, 08:16 AM
You're not the only one. The AI is severely annoying in AC3. The guards' line of sight is ridiculous sometimes. Sometimes they won't see me from three meters away, at other times it's like they're telepathic and can just sense when one of their friends has just been murdered all the way on the other side of the fort. I will admit that in previous games the detection rate was way too slow and the enemies too oblivious, but it feels like they went too far in trying to make them more realistic this time, to the point where stealth is discouraged. It used to give me a sense of power and achievement when I could take down guards simply by carefully studying their routes and planning my moves. Now it's more about dumb luck. Sometimes I will wait 5 minutes in a haybale for some guy who I KNOW is patrolling around the area and he doesn't appear. So finally I figure it's safe to come out of hiding and suddenly he just pops up out of thin air right in front of me and alerts the whole fort. I also don't get why shooting someone with a bow or poison dart would alert everyone in the area. Those are supposed to be silent weapons.

You have no idea how many times all this has happened to me. I try to experiment sometimes. Take on a fort, try to kill everyone stealthily, but not kill captain or destroy powder reserve. And then get out of there and fast travel to reset the fort, and then go at it again. Every time a different result. Sometimes stealth works, sometimes it doesn't.

Bow is useless, can't even one-shot anything bigger than a bunny rabbit when hunting.

SixKeys
12-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Bow is useless, can't even one-shot anything bigger than a bunny rabbit when hunting.

You can if you don't do free-aim. I never bother with free-aiming and I get a kill 9 times out of 10. The annoying exceptions are guards who aren't wearing any kind of armor and would seem like you could just one-shot them, but for some reason you have to shoot them twice. And sometimes you don't. So annoying inconsistency there too.

PJ_28
12-12-2012, 01:58 AM
You can if you don't do free-aim. I never bother with free-aiming and I get a kill 9 times out of 10. The annoying exceptions are guards who aren't wearing any kind of armor and would seem like you could just one-shot them, but for some reason you have to shoot them twice. And sometimes you don't. So annoying inconsistency there too.

Ah I see. I do like to free-aim to get that extra range boost. Actually, now that I think about it, you can one-shot bobcats with it right. Anyway, don't really like the bow, it looks stupid in the other outfits without the quiver.