PDA

View Full Version : Increase FPS on hyperthreaded i7's

joeyb908
12-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm unsure as to if this has been brought up already but I've noticed that while in game, alt-tabing out and setting the affinity for ACSP.exe from all cores to cores 0-3 gives me a slight gain in FPS in some areas and much more in others (1-15fps gain). I tried setting it to only run on two cores as well since most games are optimized for dual-core computer at the moment but it runs better on four cores than two.

I also noticed that turning off Intel Turboboost increased FPS in game. I'm using a laptop and I don't know if Turboboost is a laptop specific feature but here's how you turn it off.
Click the arrow on the task bar and then click the battery, go to more power options, under whatever plan you're using (should be high performance) click change plan settings, then click Change advanced power settings, after this go to power processor management, make sure the minimum processor state for both options is at 5% and make sure the maximum processor state is at 99% for both. Turboboost is now off, this both increases your FPS and also decreases the amount of heat your processor gives off because it's not working at a couple steps above what it should be.

Also, if you haven't already, mess around with MSI Afterburner and find a good overclock that doesn't over stress your card. Most cards can overclock to at least 10-20% their factory settings so have fun with that as well.
Direct link to latest MSI Afterburner: http://download1.msi.com/files/downloads/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup230.zip

Don't forget to update your graphics card too! Update to the beta drivers from Nvidia or ATI and your performance will shoot up too.

If you do any video editing, you should turn Turboboost back on before you go ahead and render your video because rendering utilizes all 8 cores.

I'm not answering any questions about anything so discuss with other people for help...