PDA

View Full Version : Things you thought were bad, but then realized it was you

Sushiglutton
12-08-2012, 10:05 AM
In my experience gamers are quick to judge, but you rarely see anyone post about misstakes they did themselves (I guess this is true for humans in general). It has happened to me many times that I have thought something was bad in a game, only to later realize it was actually me who had missunderstood/missplayed. Here are a couple of things in AC3:

-Tunnels: I did the first tunnel mission and it was just walking and every now and then light a torch. Wasn't that fun so I never did any more exploration in the tunnels. The whole system seemed pointless to me. But after reading some (to me very suprisingly) positive feedback on the forums I decided to give them another go. I quickly realized there were little puzzles attached to the different routes and it was a lot of fun to explore them!

- Lockpicking: In hindisght I don't know why I didn't get this one. I tried a lot of times and couldnt get it to worked, so I skipped all chests for a long time. I read online that some experienced a lockpicking bug, so I thought that was the reason. But no :o. I kept trying and suddenly I got it to work and now it works every time and I hope it's a feature that is here to stay as it makes a lot of sense for an assassin to have that skill.

-Meatshield: Seemed broken to me. Sometimes it worked, other times not. Thought it was a pretty clunky system that was poorly implemented. Then someone on the forum helped me and told me to double tap and now it works every time :cool:.

Now you guys!

VitaminsXYZ
12-08-2012, 10:11 AM
-Meatshield: Seemed broken to me. Sometimes it worked, other times not. Thought it was a pretty clunky system that was poorly implemented. Then someone on the forum helped me and told me to double tap and now it works every time :cool:.

THIS. Oh man, I was so annoyed at first. I thought the commands for this were clunky as hell, as I couldn't get it to work no matter what. (Didn't help that Haytham kept killing all the meat shields I was going to use...)
But yeah, then someone told me to double tap, and now I love using it. lol

rego00123
12-08-2012, 11:05 AM
meh, i feel the same way about AC:3 as i do the dark knight rises. i enjoyed it all seeing it the first time then i went back to see it again and realized just how badly it was put together. i really have nothing that i thought was horrible and later great, just the other way around lol

thats not to say i thought the game was "horrible" btw...no hating here :)

ProdiGurl
12-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Ya - I had early issues w/ gun shooting, using the bow & some combat mechanics.
As the game went on, I found out that I was using them at the wrong times & not doing my buttons correctly in combat.

They really aced tree running - that's awesome.

>> THIS. Oh man, I was so annoyed at first. I thought the commands for this were clunky as hell, as I couldn't get it to work no matter what. (Didn't help that Haytham kept killing all the meat shields I was going to use...)<<

LOL I know, I just finished that mission yesterday.

BATISTABUS
12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
I remember hearing a review saying "You hear sparkling like there should be a chest around, but there's nothing". When looking for the Pegleg Treasures in the Frontier, some of them are in caves underground. If you didn't bother to search a bit, you might just assume this to be a glitch, which is what I'm guessing that reviewer was having problems with.

ProdiGurl
12-08-2012, 12:44 PM
^ Spot on. Ya that was my early experience in Frontier in the southern region by the fort....
There was a treasure symbol on my map & I stood right over it, heard it, but nothing was there. I left the area & it was somewhere else later on that I found a cave w/ treasure in it.
Then I knew what that was all about & hunted for caves after that. It also happened in one area by a Hunting Society symbol up North - there's a red enemy dot but no enemy. I'm sure it's in a cave.

Dan Pen 97
12-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I think it was all good for me non of it was horrible at all :)

SixKeys
12-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Sometimes it's a simple issue of the player not understanding game mechanics that were well explained and in those cases I'm happy to admit I was the one being foolish. However, in AC3 the problem is that most features are really badly explained, if at all. The tunnels system is one of these. It is boring to just walk around in the dark for 20 minutes lighting torches, and there's no desire to explore if you're not told there are puzzles to be found. I accidentally stumbled upon one of these and only then realized that there was a point to the tunnels (sort of). Otherwise it's such a dull feature you'd rather not unlock the fast-travel points at all but just rely on covering ground by horse.

Meatshield is still unreliable for me, no matter what I do. It's a fun feature when it works, which is maybe 7/10 times. Again, it's not the player's fault if the controls are dodgy or not well explained. Up until Revelations all the AC games had good tutorials, then they started ignoring their importance, like players should be left to figure out basic functions by themselves.

ProdiGurl
12-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Sometimes it's a simple issue of the player not understanding game mechanics that were well explained and in those cases I'm happy to admit I was the one being foolish. However, in AC3 the problem is that most features are really badly explained, if at all. The tunnels system is one of these. It is boring to just walk around in the dark for 20 minutes lighting torches, and there's no desire to explore if you're not told there are puzzles to be found. I accidentally stumbled upon one of these and only then realized that there was a point to the tunnels (sort of). Otherwise it's such a dull feature you'd rather not unlock the fast-travel points at all but just rely on covering ground by horse.

Meatshield is still unreliable for me, no matter what I do. It's a fun feature when it works, which is maybe 7/10 times. Again, it's not the player's fault if the controls are dodgy or not well explained. Up until Revelations all the AC games had good tutorials, then they started ignoring their importance, like players should be left to figure out basic functions by themselves.

You're 100% right on lack of info/tutorial for much of the game. I'm still sketchy on the entire Crafting/trading system. I didn't find anywhere that it's explained.
Definitely an issue imo.

Baked_Cookies
12-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Ok for me something that had me so mad and then when I found out how easy it was I got even more mad. The chase where you must get Charles Lee and you run through that boat thats on fire. Yeah well for the first 20 tries of that mission once you enter the boat and run up the wall and jump on the crossbars to get to the second level were Charles runs off and the door falls.closed well I never noticed when the door breaks and falls shut that it opens up a little area for you to hop over so I kept trying to run through the middle of the boat and would always fail and couldnt figure out where to go and why I would fail so quick. Then one time after Charles ran through the door and it fell I stood there longer than usual and seen the wooden wall break so I could jump through it. I was so pissed at that mission that I thought it ruined the game for me and as it turned out I was just an idiot. Lesson learned.

VenomRitual
12-08-2012, 07:59 PM
i was angry that my horse was so slow. didn't see the spur action till sequence 10... -__-

Gi1t
12-08-2012, 08:58 PM
You're 100% right on lack of info/tutorial for much of the game. I'm still sketchy on the entire Crafting/trading system. I didn't find anywhere that it's explained.
Definitely an issue imo.

Seems like an increasing problem in games these days. XD A lot of the games I've played in the past few years had rather laborious tutorials for their basic features, but left you totally in the dark about really cool features and especially hidden things in the game a lot of which you would never stumble upon even if you played the game several times.

With the endless supply of walkthroughs on the internet, it's like they figure anything anyone doesn't get about their game they can just look up. -__- Personally though, I feel like it spoils a lot of the fun when you find out about something you missed online. It kind of defeats the purpose of not holding your hand if the only way to find something is to look it up. I don't think the "look it up" attitude is a good fit for an age where a lot of gamers will pick up a game, play it once and move on to something else, usually selling the game so they have the money for another one. Don't they WANT people to know how awesome their games are? XD I mean, you can't account for every misunderstanding, but that's no reason to be lazy about it.

(This isn't really a statement relating to AC so much as it is a general observation.) :)

EscoBlades
12-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Seems like an increasing problem in games these days. XD A lot of the games I've played in the past few years had rather laborious tutorials for their basic features, but left you totally in the dark about really cool features and especially hidden things in the game a lot of which you would never stumble upon even if you played the game several times.

With the endless supply of walkthroughs on the internet, it's like they figure anything anyone doesn't get about their game they can just look up. -__- Personally though, I feel like it spoils a lot of the fun when you find out about something you missed online. It kind of defeats the purpose of not holding your hand if the only way to find something is to look it up.

Growing up as an 80s baby, and beginning gaming when i turned 6, i prefer it this way. Back then it was ALL about discovery. Games like Mario Bros and Megaman didn't have tutorials. You had to learn through trial and error, which i find is a big part of the fun and joy of gaming.

This has steadily changed over the years, and i'd argue there is too much hand holding in games these days. At the same time, maybe Crafting/ Convoys/ the accounting book (in AC3) could have been explained a bit better, despite Achilles talking the player through it early on.

Baked_Cookies
12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Growing up as an 80s baby, and beginning gaming when i turned 6, i prefer it this way. Back then it was ALL about discovery. Games like Mario Bros and Megaman didn't have tutorials. You had to learn through trial and error, which i find is a big part of the fun and joy of gaming.

This has steadily changed over the years, and i'd argue there is too much hand holding in games these days. At the same time, maybe Crafting/ Convoys/ the accounting book (in AC3) could have been explained a bit better, despite Achilles talking the player through it early on.

Tutorials are a little crazy when they just straight up tell you how to do every little thing. But there is a few things that they could have elaborated more for sure but over all Im not to worried there wasnt much of a tutorial

Gi1t
12-08-2012, 09:52 PM
At the same time, maybe Crafting/ Convoys/ the accounting book (in AC3) could have been explained a bit better, despite Achilles talking the player through it early on.

That's it right there. :) They just don't seem to grasp the middle ground on this. They hold your hand and then walk you right past the more advanced stuff like it's not even there. Players just aren't compelled to explore certain aspects of the game themselves because the game's already told them "everything they need to know" about it. XD It IS possible to plant ideas in a player's head without holding their hand, you just have to be smart about it.

I think that in general, games need to stop treating casual and hardcore players like they're two mutually exclusive groups of people. Casual players can take on a much more hardcore attitude if they find that one game that just keeps them looking for more.

Baked_Cookies
12-08-2012, 10:45 PM
That's it right there. :) They just don't seem to grasp the middle ground on this. They hold your hand and then walk you right past the more advanced stuff like it's not even there. Players just aren't compelled to explore certain aspects of the game themselves because the game's already told them "everything they need to know" about it. XD It IS possible to plant ideas in a player's head without holding their hand, you just have to be smart about it.

I think that in general, games need to stop treating casual and hardcore players like they're two mutually exclusive groups of people. Casual players can take on a much more hardcore attitude if they find that one game that just keeps them looking for more.

But the problem with the casual gamer thing is thats just it they are "casual" gamers they are not really looking for story line or graphic advancements or good transition from cut scenes back to game play and the actual foundation of the game or what engine its running all they want to do is be entertained. So they hold the casual gamers hand and walk past the more advanced stuff probably so hardcore gamers that explore everything get a chance to find it on their own. I for one hate tutorials they either show you what you already know or they make the game to easy because there is no fun in starting a game already knowing how to do everything.

VitaminsXYZ
12-08-2012, 11:04 PM
I think they just need to find a balance of not too much hand-holding, but just enough tutorials for the casual gamer to get through. (Also, a little animus training area would've helped, too.)

Anyways, back on topic. I was pretty mad about that objective where you had to tackle the guy from above. (Haytham's "because I said so!" line was gold though.) For some reason I just couldn't do it. I'd be in an ambush spot, but everything I hit the button to tackle, which I believe is O on the PS3, Connor would just swipe the air ineffectually. Turns out that it was R1 + O all along... >.> Everything was easy after that. lol

cjdavies
02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Liberation mission - kill the Templar leader, I did without being detected and didn't register, so I thought ok kill every bloody guard then - nothing!

I had to use the Marksmen :o

cmrggamer
02-03-2013, 04:53 PM
This isn't something I thought was bad, but I definitely thought (along with lots of other people) that AC3 did not seem encourage using the rooftops even though I know the devs talked about adding trees in the cities to allow for easier traveling. It wasn't until after I finished AC3 for the second time and was just running around Boston that I tried to get on top of one of those store signs and not touch the ground and it was actually a lot of fun! There are the swinging flag poles and the little pully things that move too (like the lanterns in ACB) and there are lantern posts that he can jump on top of. I was actually surprised by how far the path could take me. The little parkour moves they added too are a great touch. I happened to be running and vaulted over one food stand only to slide under the next. It was awesome :)

Doug-E-Fresh0126
02-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Assassins creed 3 was the best of the series so far, the gameplay was so smooth, it felt natural, like if u climbing something, u climb it one of the things i hated about the other games was that u get to the spot right before u get on a roof and then he just stops, its like what!!? And the missions were better the others, it wasn't climb tower -light fire -buy stores- kill guys- the 3rd one had a deeper mission feeling, and the fact it takes place in the time n place it did it awesome, i am not a huge fan of connor, but still all the awesomeness will make up for it, i hope every other game is modeled after this one, living the american revolution as i learned many years ago in history class was amazing and learning about some of the places i heard about since i was a kid was soo cool. My order is
1. AC:3
2. AC:2
3: AC:brotherhood
4. AC:1
5. AC: revelations( the worst worst worst) doesn't even really belong mentioned with the others