PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there is any sense of victory/achievement to AC3 ending.(spoilers)

avk111
12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Ok guys I think the main issue with the overall title AC3 is that there is no sense of achievement or victory at the end.

Ofcourse I'm talking about the title by itself without any future title remedies.

What did you think you get any sense of victory as Connor in the end ?

montagemik
12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
This issue is the reason i quickly began to like Connor - I knew from History , that no matter what Connor actually achieved in the game , ultimately he was going to Win nothing .
All he had was the inevitable showdown with Haytham to strive for - No matter what satisfaction he gained from catching LEE ........His victory was doomed to be short lived as the Patriots were gonna screw his people over anyway.

Towards the end even Connor began to realise this , but still he stood true to what was right . He is the only real Hero the game has in it .
Whereas the previous Assassin's always had a life of conflict , Connor always had a conflicted life - The way he handled that life really was a show of true character .
( Ironically most people think he's wooden & void of any real character)

avk111
12-07-2012, 10:39 AM
This issue is the reason i quickly began to like Connor - I knew from History , that no matter what Connor actually achieved in the game , ultimately he was going to Win nothing .
All he had was the inevitable showdown with Haytham to strive for - No matter what satisfaction he gained from catching LEE ........His victory was doomed to be short lived as the Patriots were gonna screw his people over anyway.

Towards the end even Connor began to realise this , but still he stood true to what was right . He is the only real Hero the game has in it .
Whereas the previous Assassin's always had a life of conflict , Connor always had a conflicted life - The way he handled that life really was a show of true character .

You knew from history but connor never knew, so how does that justify what happened ?

may I ask when did he begins to realize that this was going to happen to his people ? Which part of the game ?

Personally I think the only achievement that came across here is that he truely did bring freedom upon the land, the freedom for the people, which ever way it resulted. Cause replying Johnson mission yesterday , the templar did want to bring peace to the land HIS WAY whether the people like it or not so they enforce peace which is control, Assassins on the other hand let thing be to whatever happens.

what do you think dear fan ?

montagemik
12-07-2012, 11:11 AM
He realised he'd won no real security for his people when Haytham read out Washington's letter to him.
Connor wasn't just angry at Haytham's concealment of this information , Or really not just at Washington's betrayal ......He was also Angry at himself for trusting the patriots to begin with - Through his own actions he'd actually made this betrayal possible, This realisation that despite his own intentions for a fair & just socciety for all , was nothing more than naivety on his part & he had in fact allowed himself to be used for others benefit .
The realisation that the Patriots were no better than the English - Control was all that ultimately mattered for both sides.
(this sentiment is briefly shown in Evacuation day witnessing Slave sales on the Docks.)

avk111
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
He realised he'd won no real security for his people when Haytham read out Washington's letter to him.
Connor wasn't just angry at Haytham's concealment of this information , Or really not just at Washington's betrayal ......He was also Angry at himself for trusting the patriots to begin with - Through his own actions he'd actually made this betrayal possible, This realisation that despite his own intentions for a fair & just socciety for all , was nothing more than naivety on his part & he had in fact allowed himself to be used for others benefit .
The realisation that the Patriots were no better than the English - Control was all that ultimately mattered for both sides.
(this sentiment is briefly shown in Evacuation day witnessing Slave sales on the Docks.)

So how come he goes and help Washington again during the Benedict Arnold missions ? GW said its for the cause however Connor has nothing to do there as there is no templar influence just domestic patriot betrayal

rafael52
12-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Well.You get the feeling that you helped the patriots win the war when you kill Lee.But in the end personally when I watched the slave scene,I realised that the character did not win.In contrast to the previous games where you kill an obvious target that would harm innocent people in this game you help the side that looks innocent,but in the end you realise that you didn't help anyone,you just got to a dead end.

drewits
12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Ending assassins creed 3 brings a bitter taste to my mouth but at the same time a wave of relief yet sadness fills my body, i feel sorry for connor because in the end all he did was kill five men who need not die, and in the end all he got out of his journey was sadness no accomplishment, no revenge, just an ending to things .

so no there is no victory no accomplishment in completeing assassins creed 3 and thus connor's story there is not but loss and regret and i feel that is exactly how the game was designed in contrast to all the other games ac1 you kill men and accomplish the ending of the crusade against the assassins, ac2 you get revenge against those who killed your familuy, ac brotherhood revenge for monterrigionni and mario , ac revelations accomplishment for saving desmond and seeing the end of ezio's journey, after all that victory its about time we as gamers and as assassins lose for once

psf22
12-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Ending assassins creed 3 brings a bitter taste to my mouth but at the same time a wave of relief yet sadness fills my body, i feel sorry for connor because in the end all he did was kill five men who need not die, and in the end all he got out of his journey was sadness no accomplishment, no revenge, just an ending to things .

so no there is no victory no accomplishment in completeing assassins creed 3 and thus connor's story there is not but loss and regret and i feel that is exactly how the game was designed in contrast to all the other games ac1 you kill men and accomplish the ending of the crusade against the assassins, ac2 you get revenge against those who killed your familuy, ac brotherhood revenge for monterrigionni and mario , ac revelations accomplishment for saving desmond and seeing the end of ezio's journey, after all that victory its about time we as gamers and as assassins lose for once

Well said there, and I feel the same about it too.

FirestarLuva
12-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Well said. I think that's the reason why people think Connor is dull and s*cks compared to Ezio and Altair who are seen as gods and always did the right thing and made very few mistakes. Connor has his flaws, he reacts as any real person would've if he went through similar tragedies like him. But I think the character of Connor would've been even better received in a novel or a movie outside AC. The formula of his character is too complex and introvert and not that many gamers try do delve that deeply and analyze a character. Many people loved Ezio because he was an extrovert and easy to understand. Not to mention he was funny and a womanizer and people felt comfortable and happy playing as him, while Connor is a sad and depressing character who wins nothing in the end.

pirate1802
12-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Well said. That's how I feel as well. Connor is a tragic figure, unlike the past assassins, and in the end, all he achieved was a big zero. The epilogue cutscenes sum it up nicely. I almost cried when he returned to his village and found just the old guy sitting besides the fire.. :|

AjinkyaParuleka
12-08-2012, 07:30 PM
and also..why the hell did he quit assassin's brotherhood at a age of 27/28..

pirate1802
12-09-2012, 07:33 AM

Because he became an assassin to protect his people, in which he failed miserably. There's no more reason for him to keep at it now..

avk111
12-09-2012, 08:36 AM
I beg to differ, the only accomplishment Connor ever received was getting rid of. The Templars and winning true freedom to the people of the land, now is this is freedom the best thing for everyone , turns out not for his people, is it good for the colonies, yup. Is it an achievement for the brotherhood yes it is. So to look at things in different perspective he win "questionable " freedom.

Its a trade between having "ordered" freedom, hence the Templars and "let alone" freedom.

Remind me if the dark knight movie where Batman fights the bad guys but in the end he loses one of the closest people next to him, Rachel. That's when he quits being batman yada yada yada, you know how it ends.

pirate1802
12-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I beg to differ, the only accomplishment Connor ever received was getting rid of. The Templars and winning true freedom to the people of the land, now is this is freedom the best thing for everyone , turns out not for his people, is it good for the colonies, yup. Is it an achievement for the brotherhood yes it is. So to look at things in different perspective he win "questionable " freedom.

Its a trade between having "ordered" freedom, hence the Templars and "let alone" freedom.

Remind me if the dark knight movie where Batman fights the bad guys but in the end he loses one of the closest people next to him, Rachel. That's when he quits being batman yada yada yada, you know how it ends.

True, but the thing is, he didn't become an Assassin to help the brotherhood grow, or to help the colonists gain freedom. His primary goal was to protect his people, those other goals became his sidequests, so to speak, as he went along. So he failed in his primary goal. But the colonies are free. Does it give any consolation to Connor? Doesn't look like it going by the epilogue cutscenes..

So yes, if you look at it from an outside perspective, he did achieve something, but looking at it from Connor's perspective, he achieved next to nothing.

avk111
12-09-2012, 10:51 AM
I agree with you the main motive was lost however he grew into the best hero America at the time knew, think about it this way...

he started with protecting his people , came to know that to help the colonist and to establish the brotherhood he would help the main motive, yada yada yada , he gets sidetracked by his efforts to help establish the order, by protecting the land from templar influence, e.g. Quebec Gerogia m and some other zones he send his fellow assassins to. He persues the people plotting against the land, success.

boom he loses his people. There is a feeling of pride in his accomplishments , as so was referred by Achilles, but the cost if that was his people and tribe.

pirate1802
12-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, he did achieve some success but he lost so much. I also think he might be disillusioned now. That cutscene of the Evacuation Day, he sees those slaves being sold and does nothing. In his haydays he'd have jumped off and freed them in no time. Probably because he got his fingers burnt the last time he fought someone else's war, so now he is wary of it? Is he giving up on the Creed altogether? Thoughts on the interpretation of that scene?

avk111
12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, he did achieve some success but he lost so much. I also think he might be disillusioned now. That cutscene of the Evacuation Day, he sees those slaves being sold and does nothing. In his haydays he'd have jumped off and freed them in no time. Probably because he got his fingers burnt the last time he fought someone else's war, so now he is wary of it? Is he giving up on the Creed altogether? Thoughts on the interpretation of that scene?

Actually he was expressing what's the word I'm looking for ... Not surprised , but more like " hey what's going on here, hey that's strange."

Ill fill up more as I watch it again, but more over its like he was at least happy he gave the people on the port a sense of freedom , but as he looked over he discovered it is not yet enough ... How many times has this sentence been repeated ... It is never enough

pirate1802
12-09-2012, 02:09 PM
I think I caught a cynical smile on Connor's lips as he looked on, with people chanting Liberty! Down with tyranny!! And then he looks towards the slaves and thinks: Liberty? Yeah right.

zerocooll21
12-09-2012, 03:37 PM

How much of that do you think is attributed to him being Native American? I get the feeling sometimes people don't like him because they don't really connect with him. Ubi said they spent a lot of effort making his character as true to Native Americans as possible, do you think because of that it made his character as it was? (let me know if that doesn't make sense :p )

Where was that said?

avk111
12-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I think I caught a cynical smile on Connor's lips as he looked on, with people chanting Liberty! Down with tyranny!! And then he looks towards the slaves and thinks: Liberty? Yeah right.

True right the laugh is cynical when people chanting liberty, as for the last expression, it's more like my job is not finished yet kind of expression , I don't know could be far fetch, let's see what the tyranny of king George delivers :)

pirate1802
12-09-2012, 04:25 PM
True right the laugh is cynical when people chanting liberty, as for the last expression, it's more like my job is not finished yet kind of expression , I don't know could be far fetch, let's see what the tyranny of king George delivers :)

It broke my heart, to see the man responsible fo the victory, standing there, all bloodied up and having lost everything he called his. Also yeah, I looked at that last expression and you're right I think. He suddenly realizes his work is far from finished. Even he says in the story trailer "I realize now that it will take time.." More games with Connor! :)

avk111
12-10-2012, 10:13 AM
It broke my heart, to see the man responsible fo the victory, standing there, all bloodied up and having lost everything he called his. Also yeah, I looked at that last expression and you're right I think. He suddenly realizes his work is far from finished. Even he says in the story trailer "I realize now that it will take time.." More games with Connor! :)I don't know it took me sometime to get my story correct about his success and failure as I replayed it many times over and over again analyzing the speech of each character like the New Testament lol. In the end I realized I started to love connor, heck even Juno the bad *** antagonist was nice to him in the end even because he is so gullible and white hearted.