PDA

View Full Version : Desmond Deserves Better *SPOILERS*

NateTheGreat_0
12-07-2012, 08:49 AM
"The rest is up to you, Desmond" Ever since I heard that line at the end of AC2 I have been beyond pumped for a modern day Desmond game. Then Brotherhood came along, the game had a little more Desmond gameplay and had to lead up to his epic game, and I couldn't complain with more ezio. Then the brotherhood ending guaranteed yet another ancestor game since Desmond was now in a coma. Then at the end of Revelations, which is the best out of all them, it perfectly sets up AC3 to be all Desmond. Then AC3 comes out, and yet another ancestor! He has to go in the animus to find a key...a key. Again. Sure, there was at least 3 Desmond missions and the usual conversation options. Then we get to the end. Desmond finds the key, opens the door, and saves the world, happily ever after! Time for a game where we fight.modern templars as the assassin who gas been gathering his ancestors skills for 5 games now! But no. There's a twist, good ole Juno has "tampered" with the device and if Desmond uses it he dies, and releases Juno upon the world, or let the world "end" and start over. So Desmond goes for option A, and decides to sacrifice himself for the good of the planet. I thought to myself, "hey, at least it'll be a epic ending" That dream also crashed and burned. He screams at his father and team to go, walks up, touches the device, boom dead. I was beyond mad. Not only did Ubisoft not give us a full based Desmond game, which we've been waiting for since AC2 and further while the bleeding affect makes him a master assassin. But no, Ubisoft built up Desmonds story for 5 games for absolutely nothing. I will not buy the next assassins creed game because of this, I want a Desmond game, or at least a decent ending at the least. Very disappointed.

ace3001
12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't think many people really wanted an all-out Desmond game. Frankly, that would've just turned into another random 3rd person shooter, and thus would've sucked hard. There's only so much you can do in modern times, and most of it has been done already by current 3rd person shooters. There is very little room for innovation there.

ACfan443
12-07-2012, 09:23 AM
While I don't necessarily think it should have been a full modern game, I definitely think Desmond's role should have been massively expanded on, there was barely any of him, his missions were short and boring, and he wasn't the master assassin he was supposed to be.

Bangkok92
12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I am just disappointed that at the end of AC3, it feels like all that time playing as Ezio was useless. All the Ezio games set AC up for an EPIC ending but this never happened. :(

pirate1802
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I don't think many people really wanted an all-out Desmond game. Frankly, that would've just turned into another random 3rd person shooter, and thus would've sucked hard. There's only so much you can do in modern times, and most of it has been done already by current 3rd person shooters. There is very little room for innovation there.

Agreed. I wouldn't buy a full-on Desmond (or any modern ancestor) game, and I also think that'll never happen if you read into the dev quotes ("history is our playground" and all). Anyways, there isn't a way you can have an AC in modern times without turning it into a Splinter Cell/GTA rip-off. All the modern sections we had till now consist of stupid fistfights/stick fights/apple fights, they appear ridiculous but I understand why they are like that: devs don't have a lot of room for maneuvering there.

D.I.D.
12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Not interested in a Desmond game, nor his character, and if you wanted any proof of what a bad idea that would be then AC3 was it.

The part where Vidic tells Desmond to drop by at Abstergo is shockingly bad. He has his "mwahahaha" moment, telling Desmond to come in with the devastating weapon that controls people's minds and kills everyone in proximity and can only be operated by certain individuals with the correct DNA.

That's just staggeringly stupid, even by game standards. I don't think I could stand much more than what we got.

Sickull
12-07-2012, 10:32 AM
You know they never said Desmond died, Minerva said "Our gift to them and you would have it returned" what if Juno needed to take Desmond's sixth sense to use it as a key for her escape or maybe she switched places with Desmond stripping him of his free will so now he's stuck in the cave and Juno is out running a muck. Even though AC3 doesn't have a particularly good ending (for Desmond anyway we all know ever AC game essentially ends twice) there is alot of information there like the possibility that Juno and Minerva might be the mother's of the Assassin's and the Templar's and the fact that it seems like Desmond hasn't learned anything based on the choice he made and it's probably what the Templar's wanted I doubt Altair would have made the same decision.

LightRey
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Why in god's name did people keep expecting an all-Desmond game? It's absolutely ridiculous.

pirate1802
12-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Why in god's name did people keep expecting an all-Desmond game? It's absolutely ridiculous.

+1000

she-assassin
12-07-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't know maybe because there are people who actually like Desmond and care about the modern-day story? *GASP*
Is it really so surprising? Wouldn't an all-Desmond game be a natural conclusion of his story arc? Especially when the writers tried so hard to make it look like Desmond was indeed the centre around which all the other storylines revolved? Of course story-wise, the gameplay would be a completely different issue.
I can honestly tell you that every AC fan I talked to before the release of ACIII couldn't wait for Desmond's part of the game, and no one, not even one of them was really excited for the ancestor's story, although, that might have something to do with the fact that they were not extremely excited about the American Revolution setting, but the point is that many AC fans do get invested in the modern-day characters and expect more modern-day gameplay with every new game. And that's a fact.

Auztinito
12-07-2012, 05:51 PM
I was fully expecting a Desmond based game down the road on AC for that final conclusion.Basically we went through the entire 5 games with Desmond still acting like he did in the first game.I expected Desmond would at least be doing some of the badass assassin stuff you see Ezio,Altair,or Connor doing but NO.Ubisoft wasted good potential on Desmond by just scraping him like it all meant nothing to play as Desmond.Where was the abilities of his ancestors at.Where was the badass stuff he could have done.All that training for what?3 missions total.Watch them make an Ezio Jr. as the next main character.I always had a dislike for Ezio being too **** merciful on Templars.All I have to say on Desmond's part is wasted potential.Connor had a great ending for a cliffhanger but Desmond was just given low blow.

Kaschra
12-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I expected the Desmond parts of AC3 to be longer. Much longer.
I liked them, but they were just so short.... pretty disappointing :/

And his ending... I had the feeling it would not end well for him, and I accepted the possibility that he might die - but the scene itself was just lacking emotion. And that Shaun and Rebecca didn't say ANYTHING or showed any kind of concern or sadness that their friend is about to sacrifice his life... I am still pissed about that.
Why, Ubisoft?
If you have to kill him off, why not make it epic or at least emotional?

AjinkyaParuleka
12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
The reason why I liked AC than any other game in this universe is just because of the desmond story and the suspense it gave at each ending.I don't think Desmond just died after touching that orb...maybe into temporary death thingie?who knows minerva might ressurect him(cloth of eden or w/e it's name is).I still want to know what Juno's up to.And a desmond game fully based on it>me sad.Though i like those mission however short they were.

rafael52
12-07-2012, 09:10 PM
A game based only on desmond and modern era would suck.But I believe that many ac fans wanted to see desmond doing some badass assassin's things.It's like they told us that desmond was trained by a master assassin(ezio) through the animus for nothing.The skills that he earned by ezio's life weren't only assassination skilss or getaway skills.It was also knowledge and wisdom.And in ac3 he used non of it.I don't say that they should have made a modern-era based game.But show us what desmond had earned the wisdom,knowledge and physical skills from ezio's life.Even they didn't do this.At least they could have give us a proper ending.Epic and emotional like the previous ones.

Stoofpot
12-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I'd say we didn't need Connor at all, I was expecting a Desmond game to, he was ready for it. In 5 games he gained skills and developed his character just to die (and have a few mission that were awesome but way too short, I'm sure it would have made a great full game and the story of the modern assassins would finally get somewhere) And indeed, now that he had to die (which was really predictable because of all the ''We should all take a vacation when this is all over'' ''Daddy when this is all over can I go home?'' talk) some emotion was the least they could do.

infamous_ezio
12-08-2012, 06:52 PM
An all desmond game probably wouldn't have worked.. but having much more desmond would have been better, say 40/60 - desmond/connor. Each scene was done poorly. When desmond went to abstergo, that was the chance for us to really get a good view on the modern day templars goals, they could have made desmond and vidic have this huge debate about what each side wants, and what they want to achieve, just that one thing IMO could have made it much more interesting, his missions could have been better in general.. not just.. hey we found a power source, let's go get it!

Stoofpot
12-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Also,it seems like everyone here (and anywhere really) hated the ending, here I just found this https://www.change.org/petitions/ubisoft-montreal-ubisoft-change-the-ending-of-desmond-miles-in-assassin-%CC%81s-creed-iii-video-game#share a petition for a better ending

SteelCity999
12-09-2012, 04:45 AM
I think what is most sad - and by no means did I or do I want an all Desmond game - is that we actually played as Desmond more in ACR when he was in a coma than in AC3 when he might as well have been in a coma. His story was more coma-like in AC3 than ACR ever was and makes you appreciate the sequences in ACR much more. I was definitely hoping for a bit more....

pirate1802
12-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Also,it seems like everyone here (and anywhere really) hated the ending, here I just found this https://www.change.org/petitions/ubisoft-montreal-ubisoft-change-the-ending-of-desmond-miles-in-assassin-%CC%81s-creed-iii-video-game#share a petition for a better ending

There was a poll here some time ago. Not everyone hates the ending, far from it actually. Those who are ok with the ending, like myself for example, just don't feel the urge to go posting everywhere.

joaomuas
12-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Dude, chill... It's just a game...

Besides, Desmond did put his skills to use to find the power sources and activate them, as well as saving the world, since only he was capable of that sacrifice. Didn't you love his missions in AC3? THAT was the awesome outcome of the training: he used his skills to get to the final temple and then saved the world. No other person could do that.

A 100% modern-day? Sorry, mate... At max, 50/50. As much as I'd like that, it has been done before in other sandbox games (modern-day killing and parkour). AC without historic settings ain't the same. These settings color the franchise and set it apart from all the others. For some long-awaited modern-day action (although it's already very present in AC3) just wait for the next game. I doubt any new character will be as good as Desmond but who knows?

Finally, I don't know what's your problem with the way he sacrificed himself. I really don't...

Shad0wmancer
12-10-2012, 12:47 AM
"The rest is up to you, Desmond" Ever since I heard that line at the end of AC2 I have been beyond pumped for a modern day Desmond game. Then Brotherhood came along, the game had a little more Desmond gameplay and had to lead up to his epic game, and I couldn't complain with more ezio. Then the brotherhood ending guaranteed yet another ancestor game since Desmond was now in a coma. Then at the end of Revelations, which is the best out of all them, it perfectly sets up AC3 to be all Desmond. Then AC3 comes out, and yet another ancestor! He has to go in the animus to find a key...a key. Again. Sure, there was at least 3 Desmond missions and the usual conversation options. Then we get to the end. Desmond finds the key, opens the door, and saves the world, happily ever after! Time for a game where we fight.modern templars as the assassin who gas been gathering his ancestors skills for 5 games now! But no. There's a twist, good ole Juno has "tampered" with the device and if Desmond uses it he dies, and releases Juno upon the world, or let the world "end" and start over. So Desmond goes for option A, and decides to sacrifice himself for the good of the planet. I thought to myself, "hey, at least it'll be a epic ending" That dream also crashed and burned. He screams at his father and team to go, walks up, touches the device, boom dead. I was beyond mad. Not only did Ubisoft not give us a full based Desmond game, which we've been waiting for since AC2 and further while the bleeding affect makes him a master assassin. But no, Ubisoft built up Desmonds story for 5 games for absolutely nothing. I will not buy the next assassins creed game because of this, I want a Desmond game, or at least a decent ending at the least. Very disappointed.

Amen bro, couldn't agree more. Thanks for this post.