PDA

View Full Version : Completionists - Is there a memento for finishing Encyclopedia of the Common Man?

Torvaldesq
12-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Hoping to get an answer from some fellow completionists on this question. Those who got mementos know that in the manor there is a display case where a number of mementos are stored. The mementos in that case look like commemorative plates with symbols on them. As you enter the room and turn left, there is a display case on the left and right. The left case has 8 spots for mementos, but after reaching 100%, there is one empty spot for me.

Assigning numbers to the spots in the two cases like this:

Left Case

1 | 2 | 3 | 4
5 | 5 | 7 | 8

Right Case

09 | 10 | 11 | 12
13 | 14 | 15 | 16

The memento that WOULD be in spot number seven is empty. My file is at 100%, and the only thing I can think of that would fill that spot would be a memento for completing the Encyclopedia of the Common Man. The numbers correspond to the following mementos:

Left Case

1 - Hunting Society Memento
2 - Thiefs Club Memento
3 - The Art of Conversation
4 - More than Stories
5 - Brawler's Memento
6 - The Frontiersmen
7 - EMPTY
8 - Shipshape

Right Case

9 - Friends in High Places
10 - A Place Called Home
11 - New York Exploration
12 - Boston Exploration
13 - Anchors Aweigh
14 - Frontier Exploration
15 - Free the People
16 - Common Sense (Pamphlet, cursor skips this spot but you can see it when not "interacting" with display case)

When I played through the game, I (like many many others) ran into a glitch on the Encyclopedia of the Common Man quest. The glitch I had was the 3/3 Farmer scan glitch (You would get 3 scans, but the entry would not unlock, the quest would not complete, and no trophy / achievement was awarded). After the patch, the trophy did not appear and the quest did not complete when I logged in, but people noticed that it was now allowing the trophy to appear if you scanned one new activity with the Farmers (even if your activity log already said 3/3). When I did that, it notified me that the last entry had unlocked in the database, and the trophy was obtained on the PS 3, however the quest still did not complete and remained in my log.

Does anyone know if there is a memento in spot number 7 for completing Encyclopedia of the Common Man? I'd imagine the people who would have it would be people who did not get the glitch the first time around, but I'd be very interested if someone with the glitch got the memento after the patch, if it exists. Initially I had just assumed there was a memento for it after seeing someone else in a thread on a different forum refer to it, and I just assumed I was dealing with a continuation of the annoying scan bug (and had commented in a thread or two about the trophy that I was lacking this memento though I had gotten the trophy). But doing a search for it online, on any site or faq that lists mementos, there seems to be no mention of a memento for Encyclopedia of the Common Man in any list of the mementos in the game, so I'm starting to wonder if maybe that first comment I had read was wrong and there is no memento for that spot - maybe it's being reserved for a DLC memento later. Maybe the quest Encyclopedia of the Common man naturally stays in the quest log and getting the trophy is really all that's supposed to happen. If there is a Memento for the spot now, what's the name of the memento and how is it acquired?

montagemik
12-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm pretty certain The Encyclopedia gives a GOLD PLATE in the Left hand Cabinet on bottom shelf ................But i can't tell you WHAT it's called -
Because since the 1.02 patch - I NOW Have an empty space in that cabinet .

Though i'm certain i had That left cabinet filled at some point (unless i dreamed it)

Torvaldesq
12-04-2012, 10:19 PM
That's interesting. When you check your quest log, is Encyclopedia of the Common Man still in it despite you having finished all the tasks? If there was a memento there, it'd be nice to find out its name. Might make it easier to search for information about it.

Dangerzone50
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
your missing plate is given for successfully attacking 10 land convoys... if you fast travel to the top left fort in the frontier and head south east down the trail for about 300M then a convoy (or the peddler) will always appear 4 times out of 5

the reward for completing the encyclopedia is the encyclopedia itself, on the table in the upstairs hallway

Torvaldesq
12-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Thank you very much! I knew about the encyclopedia physically being upstairs, but have been at a total loss about that empty spot in the display case. I'll start farming up those convoys then and get that last memento. I am still a little curious whether the Encyclopedia quest is supposed to be removed from your log when you complete it, but I have all the entries and the trophy, so I guess that's a pretty harmless bug.

Dangerzone50
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
mine never removed wither, im pretty sure its a bug... as the quest log should disappear completely when you get 100% like it was during sequence 1

Torvaldesq
12-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Did you experience one of the scanning bugs when you were doing the quest and have to wait till the patch to get the trophy, or did your completion go smoothly the first time? Wondering whether the bug to report to Ubi Support is one that is only experienced by people who glitched prior to the patch or if it's something everyone experiences. Might make a thread just asking whether the log is supposed to disappear in the technical advice and help forum. Seems to be where bugs usually get talked about. Previous threads where the issue was mentioned all had to do with getting the trophy where it was only a tangential question.

Dangerzone50
12-05-2012, 02:28 AM
its such a minor thing compared to the other major issues that Ac3 faces, ill pick my battles and i have 2 saves, one had the encyclopedia glitch (but i still got my trophy) and the newest one had no issue with the encyclopedia (even thou the citizen deliver missions for that one broke)

anyways, both my saves still have the encyclopedia in the quest log

Torvaldesq
12-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Thanks, good to know. Agreed that it's a minor issue. Now that I know how to get that last memento, I was mostly curious.

psf22
12-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Haven't seen any post that has the completed encyclopedia gone from their map, unlocked trophy and memento included.

Dangerzone50
12-05-2012, 08:33 AM
its easy if you use the fast travel to the top left-most fort in the frontier... follow the main road from it a little ways south-east, after about 300 meters either a convoy or a peddler will pop up... and you can keep repeating this, just keep fast traveling back to the fort

this is also a good way to get the trophy for looting a convoy without killing anyone, and there is a funny glitch at this fort where a redcoat will always appear by the fast travel after you have liberated it... every patriot will gang rush him and kill him in seconds EVERY time you travel there... its quite hysterical

Torvaldesq
12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks, finally got the memento. Also found a good place for a convoy was the road north from Boston on the frontier. Glad to finally have everything done in single player, at least until DLC comes out. Maybe one day they'll take care of the bug of the quest remaining in the log for everyone. I'm sure it's on their list of annoying yet harmless bugs to fix, along with getting a notification that I've acquired a shard of eden and a citizen mission have unlocked every time I travel somewhere, and the bug of fast travel points in Lexington and Monmouth not activating on the map, along with one fast travel point in the New York Underground not being active (but only in the underground side of it, it's active top-side where it really matters). Man this game had a lot of bugs. Only one that ever really messed things up though for me was that Farmer's scan glitch that's fixed now.

Dangerzone50
12-05-2012, 10:28 PM
an interesting note, is that even with the hidden secret pack and the DLC weapons unlocked, there are still 2 empty slots on the sword rack

Perk89
03-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Last stinkin thing I have to do. This one missing memento. Have to attack 5 more caravans and not sure were to start. Dang. After that though, I will have legitimately done everything there is to do. 100%. Even including the Infamy (which, can I just say, I enjoyed the overall tone of prior to Connor getting his powers.