PDA

View Full Version : A way to get Glyphs back

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Hello there fellow assassins! Ever since revelations we have been without glyphs (which were one of the best things about the series IMO) and subject 16 was the reason for them. But since he's no longer in the picture I was trying to think of a way the glyphs could make a comeback and my idea was Erudito and since he/she/them already have these secret messages in ACIII multiplayer it would be interesting to see Erudito glyphs. Anybody agree or do I have horrible ideas? Which is also possible. Thanks!

MasterAssasin84
12-04-2012, 01:15 AM
I never really liked the glyphs to be honest so I would not really miss them

Assassin_M
12-04-2012, 01:20 AM
I agree. The New Glyphs in AC III are too dumbed down for my liking, not to mention that there`s only 3 types. It`s the people that whined that Glyphs were hard -_-

Also, I`d like to thank you, OP for not bashing the game blindly. You offer suggestions and look ahead. A very Positive outlook..

Great idea

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 01:40 AM
I agree. The New Glyphs in AC III are too dumbed down for my liking, not to mention that there`s only 3 types. It`s the people that whined that Glyphs were hard -_-

Also, I`d like to thank you, OP for not bashing the game blindly. You offer suggestions and look ahead. A very Positive outlook..

Great idea

That's very nice of you to say, thanks! Hopefully we'll get some cool new ideas for glyphs in the next installment. :)

Assassin_M
12-04-2012, 01:44 AM
That's very nice of you to say, thanks! Hopefully we'll get some cool new ideas for glyphs in the next installment. :)
Not a Problem, you deserve it :D

Suggestions are a nice change from the usual blind bashing. Erudito is a pretty fleshed out side story that never really took shape for its full potential. Glyphs from Erudito would be great to further expand on this..It can work now more than ever because of the ending of AC III...

And from what we saw in Multi-player, it can work greatly...

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 01:55 AM

Thats understandable I use to not like them but there was something about them and all the secrets behind them that made them super interesting IMO

abbitha7
12-04-2012, 05:01 AM
I loved the glyphs. They added another dimension to the game. I do hope they bring them back somehow.

TheBearJew32
12-04-2012, 05:01 AM
I really liked them too. If i ran past one i'd say "hey a glyph puzzle, let's solve it"...if i ran past a flag or feather "hey there's a flag/feather!, i'll get it later" ...never went back haha. They were extras that to me were very appealing, i'd like to seem them back. Maybe Erudito glyphs in DLC?

Soulid_Snake
12-04-2012, 06:12 AM
I loved glyphs too, especially in AC2. They required you to use your brain, for not only to solve them, but to find them too! They were, very cleverly hidden. The Torre Dell'Orologio is my favorite:

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/A/Assassins Creed II/Everything Else/Guide/Glyphs/Glyph18 - Torre Dell'Orologio1--article_image.jpghttp://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/A/Assassins Creed II/Everything Else/Guide/Glyphs/Glyph18 - Torre Dell'Orologio2--article_image.jpg

EscoBlades
12-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Had a conversation about this with a friend the other day.

(To avoid spoilers) Glyphs served as a plot device in the games that they featured in. Since the discovery of their "true" purpose, they haven't been featured in the games anymore. I totally understand the enjoyment factor that has been mentioned in this thread, but unless they served a purpose outside of just being something to do, their inclusion would be effectively filler material don't you think?

ProdiGurl
12-04-2012, 12:37 PM

I wasn't totally thrilled about them either . . BUT - the mystery aspect they gave I loved!

Thats understandable I use to not like them but there was something about them and all the secrets behind them that made them super interesting IMO

Exactly. That mystery is what I miss most (outside ambient music playing in free roam/Boston City).
I'm horrible at puzzles - so to me the puzzle thing was a chore. Some of the "find _____ in the picture" were fine, & I got some of those rotating circle ones that complete a picture, but alot of it was too much. I didn't even bother with it, I went to youtube & did cheats to finish them.

(To avoid spoilers) Glyphs served as a plot device in the games that they featured in. Since the discovery of their "true" purpose, they haven't been featured in the games anymore. I totally understand the enjoyment factor that has been mentioned in this thread, but unless they served a purpose outside of just being something to do, their inclusion would be effectively filler material don't you think?

Yes I think. I mean, yes I agree. They'll get nailed if they just add it to add it and then it won't be very mysterious either.

A suggest: Another way they could implement something similar would be something we could solve within that game - something from the story.
Like let's say a beloved character gets killed off and these 'glyphs' (or whatever they use as the vehicle) are placed around the city by an anonymous person to give clues to who murdered him/her... it could be just an in-game thing, not some over-arching AC plot that fits a bigger picture.
It could be implemented & framed in the same way they added a Cristina memory symbol - so if you want to do the glyph thing, you have to go to that "memory" symbol to start the incident. Make the victim someone important to the time period ... or someone you had a relationship with in the past that you loved & you find out they're viciously murdered.... Or do some sort of Jack-The-Ripper thing where some menace is killing off prostitutes & you have to find him, etc. etc. Just any sort of side sleuth type thingy... people like that stuff & it's skippable if they don't care by just ignoring the memory symbol or not bothering to look for the glyphs scattered around. Optional.

& since it won't have replay value, throw us a bone and give us some petty reward we crave lol
Play some ominous music while you're reading the glyph.... that would be awesome!! I truly miss the mystery element from past AC games.
It was one reason I loved Dishonored.

MasterAssasin84
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
It was more the fact that once i completed them i was presented with a hidden Video of Adam and Eve ( i understand that was the concept and idea ) but it just didnt rock my boat lol but obviously there are percentage on here that do like them.

I was however a fan of the christina Missions and interestingly enough was featured in the Assassins Creed Novel Rennaisance which is a recomended read :)

twenty_glyphs
12-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Well sure, if they didn't serve a purpose outside of being something to do they would be pointless filler. I'm asking for them to come up with a new purpose for them to serve, because the gameplay and atmosphere they brought to the table were clearly something special and memorable. It can and should still be a plot device. There have been lots of good ideas on the forums -- they could be things hacked by Erudito that are shown to you, encrypted messages left behind by TWCB that are only meant for Desmond (or someone else) to unlock, files on Abstergo's servers that you hack into. The AC universe is so big and history so deep that there are tons of things to mine for plot elements. Each game could have its own unique little side story, or they could be about some overarching plot in the AC world. Just saying since the glyphs already served their true purpose, the developers can't possibly come up with a new purpose and premise for them feels extremely lazy. And their true purpose was what, exactly? There's been no real payoff from them, and a lot of plot elements they revealed have been ignored or swept aside.

I liked the glyphs for more than just the plot device they served as. The plot device was the driving force behind them, encouraging me to find them, but there was just so much there that added to AC2 and Brotherhood. They were a collectible that actually meant something. I would always search the glyphs and rifts out first to experience what they had to offer over silly feathers and flags. They were more fun to find since you were searching for an image on an interesting landmark instead of just seeing a feather on top of a chimney. Then they brought up interesting puzzles to play that added huge variety to the gameplay. And their atmosphere and sense of history was incredible. They were the most memorable side content I've ever experienced in a game, and a unique feature of the franchise. Throwing them away feels like a huge waste, and detracts from the games for me.

I'm not even asking for the same exact gameplay from future glyphs. There's no reason they have to be encryption/puzzle wheel/picture theme puzzles. They could be virtual reality free-running sequences with puzzle elements similar to the level you played as Desmond after finding all the rifts in Brotherhood. Heck, they could even be first-person Desmond platform-creation gameplay from Revelations for all I care. The concept of moving through a digital world and hacking into files is rife with possibilities for gameplay. If they can have an interesting atmosphere with "revelations" from lots of paintings, pictures and historical documents like the Truth files used to have, all sorts of different gameplay would work within the concept. I'm just asking them to be creative and put some effort into bringing back this unique element of the franchise.

As a side note, it's not like this franchise has never included filler content just because it's something to do. Naval gameplay fits that bill for me, as well as the Homestead. Flags in AC1 were filler, as well as the 100 collectible Animus icons from Revelations. Those Animus icons seemed like they actually had a story and purpose behind them, but it was never fleshed out in the game.

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Yes I agree! Unless they serve a purpose which if they ever include them in a future game I would hope they do indeed have one. I guess all I'm saying is that they were a big part of my love for AC and I hope they include them in one form or another and have them surve a purpose. If they just threw them into a game without any reasoning I think it would ruin everything I loved about them so I hope they wouldn't just toss them in for the hell of it.

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Well sure, if they didn't serve a purpose outside of being something to do they would be pointless filler. I'm asking for them to come up with a new purpose for them to serve, because the gameplay and atmosphere they brought to the table were clearly something special and memorable. It can and should still be a plot device. There have been lots of good ideas on the forums -- they could be things hacked by Erudito that are shown to you, encrypted messages left behind by TWCB that are only meant for Desmond (or someone else) to unlock, files on Abstergo's servers that you hack into. The AC universe is so big and history so deep that there are tons of things to mine for plot elements. Each game could have its own unique little side story, or they could be about some overarching plot in the AC world. Just saying since the glyphs already served their true purpose, the developers can't possibly come up with a new purpose and premise for them feels extremely lazy. And their true purpose was what, exactly? There's been no real payoff from them, and a lot of plot elements they revealed have been ignored or swept aside.

I liked the glyphs for more than just the plot device they served as. The plot device was the driving force behind them, encouraging me to find them, but there was just so much there that added to AC2 and Brotherhood. They were a collectible that actually meant something. I would always search the glyphs and rifts out first to experience what they had to offer over silly feathers and flags. They were more fun to find since you were searching for an image on an interesting landmark instead of just seeing a feather on top of a chimney. Then they brought up interesting puzzles to play that added huge variety to the gameplay. And their atmosphere and sense of history was incredible. They were the most memorable side content I've ever experienced in a game, and a unique feature of the franchise. Throwing them away feels like a huge waste, and detracts from the games for me.

I'm not even asking for the same exact gameplay from future glyphs. There's no reason they have to be encryption/puzzle wheel/picture theme puzzles. They could be virtual reality free-running sequences with puzzle elements similar to the level you played as Desmond after finding all the rifts in Brotherhood. Heck, they could even be first-person Desmond platform-creation gameplay from Revelations for all I care. The concept of moving through a digital world and hacking into files is rife with possibilities for gameplay. If they can have an interesting atmosphere with "revelations" from lots of paintings, pictures and historical documents like the Truth files used to have, all sorts of different gameplay would work within the concept. I'm just asking them to be creative and put some effort into bringing back this unique element of the franchise.

As a side note, it's not like this franchise has never included filler content just because it's something to do. Naval gameplay fits that bill for me, as well as the Homestead. Flags in AC1 were filler, as well as the 100 collectible Animus icons from Revelations. Those Animus icons seemed like they actually had a story and purpose behind them, but it was never fleshed out in the game.

Same! I always went straight for the glyphs over the other collectibles (although I do like running around all over collecting things like feathers and flags) but the glyphs were my top priority. I felt like I, personally, was hacking into something I had no business hacking into. I felt so cool like I was the only person who ever found these secrets out lol. They added another dimension to the gameplay that was a welcome break from the story/combat/free running.

ProdiGurl
12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
It's been a long time coming, but I FINALLY agree with you on an entire post, Twenty_glyphs :D

I thought the same, it doesn't have to be a carbon copy of the glyph system they used prior... in fact, I actually hope it wouldn't be.
But to have this small sub-story/mystery going on behind the scenes imo is very important. It's up there with lack of ambient music in free roam and I listed mystery in my post on the pinned feedback thread.

This would bring that spark and magic back into AC rather than have it move to the direction of 'Action/adventure' extravaganza. Too many games are moving to that and it's disturbing to me. Even finding those Codex pages in ACII had a special element to them since they relayed a hidden message - I really enjoyed getting those too so I could get to the answer.

I will add one more feedback post when I actually finish ACIII and I'm going to add this again.

TronVigilante
12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Glyphs were implanted into the Animus's hard drive via Subject 16. For Erudio to implant the same thing in to Desmond's Animus, he'd have to have access to it. Considering the unlikelyhood that Erudito had access to Desmond's Animus between Revelations and 3 is crazy. . . but, there is a catch.

The definition of a glyph (in AC) is when the animi character gets within close proximity and activates some sort of computer code. Now were have to go into spoiler territory so if you haven't beaten the game, please power off your monitor and hum quietly to your self. . . . . . . .

SPOILER (For AC3, ME1, and ME3)

At the end of the game, when Desmond touches that thing to release Minerva, what if it made him (DNA wise) like the "Those who came before". Think like how in ME1 how Sheps touched the Prothean artifact on Illos. Then in ME3 (via DLC) we learn that it actually recoded his DNA to make him Prothean there-by helping us understand the videos left behind by the Protheans.

NOW! What if Desmond survived re-activating Juno (like the injured Ezio during the Villa Attack) and can interact with object "that came before" like he interacted with the door, triggering a "puzzle".

The Animus Cloud is also a key feature for this. From what I understand, the Cloud is a way to "link" different animi together. So what if it became like a giant network of memories that anyone could access? The Cloud would help us with "hints" as well as help us find other locations.

END SPOILER (For AC3, ME1, and ME3)

ACfan443
12-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I really loved the glyphs/clusters, they added a sense of mystery and depth to the plot, something which has been missing in ACR and AC3. I really like OP's suggestion of Erudito hacking the animus and giving a new 'truth' to Desmond, that would have been awesome.

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Glyphs were implanted into the Animus's hard drive via Subject 16. For Erudio to implant the same thing in to Desmond's Animus, he'd have to have access to it. Considering the unlikelyhood that Erudito had access to Desmond's Animus between Revelations and 3 is crazy. . . but, there is a catch.

The definition of a glyph (in AC) is when the animi character gets within close proximity and activates some sort of computer code. Now were have to go into spoiler territory so if you haven't beaten the game, please power off your monitor and hum quietly to your self. . . . . . . .

SPOILER (For AC3, ME1, and ME3)

At the end of the game, when Desmond touches that thing to release Minerva, what if it made him (DNA wise) like the "Those who came before". Think like how in ME1 how Sheps touched the Prothean artifact on Illos. Then in ME3 (via DLC) we learn that it actually recoded his DNA to make him Prothean there-by helping us understand the videos left behind by the Protheans.

NOW! What if Desmond survived re-activating Juno (like the injured Ezio during the Villa Attack) and can interact with object "that came before" like he interacted with the door, triggering a "puzzle".

The Animus Cloud is also a key feature for this. From what I understand, the Cloud is a way to "link" different animi together. So what if it became like a giant network of memories that anyone could access? The Cloud would help us with "hints" as well as help us find other locations.

END SPOILER (For AC3, ME1, and ME3)

I like that idea that it has something to do with the "cloud". That could be how Erudito or whomever could access the network and implant these glyphs or clusters. Good thinking!

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I really loved the glyphs/clusters, they added a sense of mystery and depth to the plot, something which has been missing in ACR and AC3. I really like OP's suggestion of Erudito hacking the animus and giving a new 'truth' to Desmond, that would have been awesome.

Thanks a lot! I figure there's so much still left to discover and glyphs/clusters would be an awesome way to uncover these secrets. :)

TheHumanTowel
12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah I'd like glyphs back or at least something similar concerned with the conspiracy side of AC. IMO AC3 was lacking in the sense of mystery and conspiracy that was present in past games. The sense that there are bigger things than you going on unseen, that there's a puzzle to piece together. Subject 16 was the primary source of this part of the game and I think it was a mistake to wrap up his part of the story in ACR.

There are glyphs in AC3?

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Yeah I'd like glyphs back or at least something similar concerned with the conspiracy side of AC. IMO AC3 was lacking in the sense of mystery and conspiracy that was present in past games. The sense that there are bigger things than you going on unseen, that there's a puzzle to piece together. Subject 16 was the primary source of this part of the game and I think it was a mistake to wrap up his part of the story in ACR.

There are glyphs in AC3?

No glyphs but there are puzzle elements in the underground portions of the game. Also there's secret stuff to unlock in the multiplayer that you probably already know about lol but yeah no glyphs :/

Kaschra
12-04-2012, 11:53 PM
I really want the glyphs - or something similar - to return to the AC series. They brought so much mystery and conspiracy to the games, I simply loved that.
Using Erudito for this would be a great idea!

With secret stuff from the multiplayer, you mean these, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt0TgHwzJEQ&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohEGGOTXX8

twenty_glyphs
12-05-2012, 01:08 AM
It's been a long time coming, but I FINALLY agree with you on an entire post, Twenty_glyphs :D

I thought the same, it doesn't have to be a carbon copy of the glyph system they used prior... in fact, I actually hope it wouldn't be.
But to have this small sub-story/mystery going on behind the scenes imo is very important. It's up there with lack of ambient music in free roam and I listed mystery in my post on the pinned feedback thread.

This would bring that spark and magic back into AC rather than have it move to the direction of 'Action/adventure' extravaganza. Too many games are moving to that and it's disturbing to me. Even finding those Codex pages in ACII had a special element to them since they relayed a hidden message - I really enjoyed getting those too so I could get to the answer.

I will add one more feedback post when I actually finish ACIII and I'm going to add this again.

I completely agree about the Codex pages in AC2 as well. The glyphs and the Codex pages were the best collectible I've ever seen in a video game (next to Arkham City's Riddler trophies) because they had story attached to them and made you want to keep finding them. The Codex pages made Alta´r an interesting character for me, and it was nice to read what he did after AC1 and his thoughts about the Apple and Those Who Came Before. It also served as a great introduction to the concept of TWCB as the game progressed. And some of them were just intriguing drawings. On top of that, it was fun putting them on the Codex wall in the villa and solving that little puzzle. Brotherhood's Scrolls of Romulus were pretty good too, telling their own little story about Brutus coming across the Colosseum Vault and plotting Julius Caesar's assassination, even though there weren't as many pages as the Codex.

I was so disappointed when I found the first Ishak Pasha memoir page in Revelations and there was no document to read and discover a small side story about what he did related to the Assassins. They must have been planning that and then couldn't finish it in time, because those 10 pages in Revelations serve absolutely no purpose without actual memoir pages to read. Then I kept expecting to find interesting documents to read to uncover a side story or more info about the American Assassins or the Grand Temple or something in AC3, but it never materialized there either. The historical documents that unlock in the database are okay, but not nearly as interesting as the fictional story pages you could find in AC2 and ACB.

thefreeman28989
12-05-2012, 05:51 AM
I really want the glyphs - or something similar - to return to the AC series. They brought so much mystery and conspiracy to the games, I simply loved that.
Using Erudito for this would be a great idea!

With secret stuff from the multiplayer, you mean these, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt0TgHwzJEQ&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohEGGOTXX8

Yes, exactly! I would love to see Erudito fleshed out more in the form of glyphs I think it'll work quite well! :)

Kaschra
12-05-2012, 03:25 PM
In terms of creepiness he/they are almost on par with Clay. Awesomely creepy xD

I want more Erudito in general, and not just in the multiplayer section, so yeah, glyphs or somemthing similar like that would work.