PDA

View Full Version : UBISOFT! TUTORIALS! (Seriously....)

Roanark
12-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Seriously, this game is lacking in tutorials... Love it dearly but I had to force my way through the first play-through because with all the changes that were done there was not enough in-depth explanation about what was changed.

I played the first several hours holding RT and A (I use a controller) falling off everything because I didn't know it wasn't needed.
Combat? I was holding RT as well, thinking it was required and constantly getting frustrated because a little movement would break the lock.
Naval combat? Yeah... I was hopeless for the longest time, because nothing was explained well enough. The most annoying part was constantly being told what button lets me take cover, thanks for telling me more than once but I don't need a reminder in every mission... The rest of the controls were explained once, and all at once... I forgot some of them very quickly.

And a little heads up about using the trading from the homestead being the only money I'll ever really make would be nice too...
Oh, and for anybody struggling with money... Upgrade your homestead until you can do naval convoys and send bear pelts over seas, even better when you can just buy 10 off your hunter for around 2,000 and re-sell for almost 10,000 or more depending on which merchant you send them to.
I go with the one I have only 5% risk on... Just my preference.

The lack of in-depth tutorials is what really makes this game suffer... I'm on my second play-through and absolutely LOVING the game now that I understand everything.
I really wish they would add in tutorials available from the beginning so everybody could enjoy the game the first time... Instead of pouring hours in and having to be constantly frustrated by everything.

Maybe just patch in training programs like with revelations? I know now that there's a new engine that wouldn't be simple as everything would have to be done practically from scratch but a better understanding means less frustrated players.
People will enjoy the game more leading to higher ratings and better sales.

There's nothing wrong with the new controls, not a thing, in fact... I like them better, but... Explain them!, please! How can somebody enjoy a game if they barely know what they are doing?

bveUSbve
12-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I agree. Many things have changed, in steering your character AND in general game mechanics - little of which is explained clearly and in detail.

Concerning your examples on earning money with homestead economics: The risk of naval trading routes depends on "dangers" you, the player, can eliminate through naval missions on that route.
I didn't know that bear pelts were so valuable "oversees"... However, many "basic" ingredients can be used to produce "complex" goods, and those goods always(?) can be sold at a higher price (as in real live). I suppose this is true also for bear pelts, which can be turned into "bear rugs". ;)

With regard to nothing being wrong with the new controls I have to disagree. In practice the omission of a separate button to activate "highest profile" movement turns out to be highly problematic (imo). There is no reliable way to exactly discern WHEN "lower mode" or "high mode" movement is activated by pulling in right trigger. The trigger lacks a "pressure point". This results in unwanted jumps and wall-runs.
And what I dearly miss: In the past you could do an as-short-as-possible jump from ledges (at least if they weren't very high above ground). Now this seems to be absent completely. Or mostly: sometimes Connor still does it, but the player has no control over it, and it occurs at rare intervals, whereas giant leaps from not much elevated ledges or over (almost) flat ground are the norm.

But such deficits in the control- and animation-system are only part of many deficits plaguing the game. (For example: the atrocity of crafting/trading interfaces!) Which is why I am convinced that it should have been in development (for testing and polishing) for at least 6 more months... (And perhaps then there would have been better performance - on PC - and fewer bugs too.)

emteehed
12-03-2012, 11:00 AM
there are 2 speeds with the right trigger. half pressing will get you one speed slower then full press of the right trigger. meaning you wont get unwanted wall climbing and jumping. or none that ive noticed. just a heads up because it sounds like you don't know this or didn't notice or bother to try, it being a pressure sensitive button.

SixKeys
12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
there are 2 speeds with the right trigger. half pressing will get you one speed slower then full press of the right trigger. meaning you wont get unwanted wall climbing and jumping. or none that ive noticed. just a heads up because it sounds like you don't know this or didn't notice or bother to try, it being a pressure sensitive button.

If you're playing on the keyboard, there is only one speed since there's no pressure-sensitivity.

I agree about the lack of tutorials. The trading system and assassin recruits are the worst offenders. I couldn't figure those out until halfway into the game.

Omegatr0n
12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I agree a 100% about the lack of tutorials with the assasins brotherhood and the homestead economy (also the economy menu is a huge failure). I would like to add the explenation of the forts aswell. I stumbled on one and took it over but while i was doing it i had no clue why and was wondering if i missed anything in the game, some sidequest explaining in a cinematic what it was for.

Dont get me wrong i really love this game and try to do everything it has to offer but its just sad that with 3 years being in production they couldnt take a few more weeks to fix the bugs or give us a better understanding of some stuff ingame. Because If you have to go on the internet to look for guides that explain you how the homestead economy works then imo the developers failed on that part.

Upgrade your homestead until you can do naval convoys

How do you upgrade your homestead and get naval convoys? Im in sequence 9 and i did all the homestead missions but i dont see a leveling option or experience bar at all. can you tell me what to do?

McJobless
12-03-2012, 12:57 PM
The crafting menu, particularly how to acquire upgrades, is the biggest flag. I don't get it. I crafted the dual holsters, but Connor only carries one gun in Boston and New York, but has two in the Homestead? And why is it still in the crafting menu if it's a one-time upgrade?

bveUSbve
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
How do you upgrade your homestead and get naval convoys? Im in sequence 9 and i did all the homestead missions but i dont see a leveling option or experience bar at all. can you tell me what to do?
You can "craft" a naval convoy just as you can/could a normal one. But the parts needed for that aren't available early on.

SixKeys
12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I would like to add the explenation of the forts aswell. I stumbled on one and took it over but while i was doing it i had no clue why and was wondering if i missed anything in the game, some sidequest explaining in a cinematic what it was for.

^^ This. In general I wish the game was more interactive instead of Connor just doing random stuff without the player being told why. Why is he wasting time delivering letters to random strangers? Who is the guy that gives him this task and why can't he do it himself? At least in AC2 the postmaster promised Ezio a hefty sum of money which is a good enough motivation. In AC3 all the guy says is "thank you" and expects you to do his work for him.

bveUSbve
12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
there are 2 speeds with the right trigger. half pressing will get you one speed slower then full press of the right trigger. meaning you wont get unwanted wall climbing and jumping. or none that ive noticed.
I suppose this is addressed at me?

I know that there are 2 speeds. But they are not clearly separated, since the trigger works continuously. So it's quite difficult - or for me probably impossible - to differentiate between "medium" and "maximum" speeds in critical situations (when chasing someone or a timer urges you to highest speed). In the previous games it was much easier to avoid dangerous or unwanted movement IN BETWEEN pursuing a high-speed course, since it could be done by pressing/releasing a separate button.

I suppose Ubisoft considered the new mechanic more clear cut. And it allows for changes of "camera"-perspective while moving at highest speed - which was impossible as long as you used your thumb to press "A" (on XBox-controller) to achieve that.
But in my opinion the advantage(s) are small compared to the disadvantages. Anyway, that's how I see it with how things work out in practice, with todays state of the game. (Perhaps the many automatisms, which often are totally annoying, could be considerably "improved", so that I would change my view on it significantly; I don't know.)

Apart from this: I'm not so sure if I've never encountered situations where Connor jumped totally unwanted/stupidly although I was moving in a "lower" profile...

Omegatr0n
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
^^ This. In general I wish the game was more interactive instead of Connor just doing random stuff without the player being told why. Why is he wasting time delivering letters to random strangers? Who is the guy that gives him this task and why can't he do it himself? At least in AC2 the postmaster promised Ezio a hefty sum of money which is a good enough motivation. In AC3 all the guy says is "thank you" and expects you to do his work for him.

I totally agree but thats the biggest downside of this game and storyline, They way they told Ezio's story compared with Connor was so much better. i have no symphaty for conner at all. Its like they needed a new assasin for this setting but didnt give it that much thought. I mean the game looks absolutely amazing its nothing ive ever played before apart from the storyline (and bugs) its the best looking AC in the series. But then again what made AC2 so amazing wasnt the graphics it was the complete package, for me it was the storyline that made 80% of the game.

That brings me to the entire AC3 economy. Now im only in secuence 9 but so far i didnt need a ****load of money (so far i only used money to buy the maps to gather all the feathers and such.) Same thing in the other series aswell, apart from the 100% sync what do you need it for? Though in the other series the economy wasnt that much hastle. To my understanding it doesnt change anything to the main storyline. So i wonder why would i annoy myself with understanding the AC3 economy when its not proper explained how to use it, when its buggy and earning money that you dont spend in the end. At the moment im only doing it to get my money's worth lol.

Roanark
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
I totally agree but thats the biggest downside of this game and storyline, They way they told Ezio's story compared with Connor was so much better. i have no symphaty for conner at all. Its like they needed a new assasin for this setting but didnt give it that much thought. I mean the game looks absolutely amazing its nothing ive ever played before apart from the storyline (and bugs) its the best looking AC in the series. But then again what made AC2 so amazing wasnt the graphics it was the complete package, for me it was the storyline that made 80% of the game.

That brings me to the entire AC3 economy. Now im only in secuence 9 but so far i didnt need a ****load of money (so far i only used money to buy the maps to gather all the feathers and such.) Same thing in the other series aswell, apart from the 100% sync what do you need it for? Though in the other series the economy wasnt that much hastle. To my understanding it doesnt change anything to the main storyline. So i wonder why would i annoy myself with understanding the AC3 economy when its not proper explained how to use it, when its buggy and earning money that you dont spend in the end. At the moment im only doing it to get my money's worth lol.

Money isn't necessary in this game... At all.
Get Captain Kidd's sword and you never need to buy a weapon.
The guns work all about the same making them unnecessary.
Homestead missions? Not required in the least.
No armor, no need to craft, nothing... Money in this game is entirely a diversion, which actually bothers me.... I liked the tiny bit of an RPG feel that upgrading assassins and Ezio gave me.
I liked the customization given to assassins up util they reached full rank and the customization that Ezio had with the different armor pieces.
I had hoped so much that they would add to that, and they took it all away.
Assassins have become useless as well, there aren't any sync objectives for them, they can't be used outside of cities (more specifically in any mission they would be useful) and the abilities they give you are nice but are easy to live without.

My first play-through I didn't know how to get them at all (not explained well) and only had the first one that I never really use...

They changed the game entirely, removing everything... Good and bad, and that made it feel like a whole new game.
A whole, new, unexplained game... Making the first play-through a pain... Now it's considerably better but it still took away all the feeling of an Assassin's Creed game.
Ironic how a game about freedom took it all away.