PDA

View Full Version : Which game had the best Desmond segments/story? (may contain spoilers)

TheBearJew32
12-03-2012, 06:54 AM
To me, AC Brotherhood had the best Desmond story and gameplay. I thought the story aspect of it was very good and of course the ending was, although a cliffhanger, a very good one at that. It brought up many theories, speculation, and excitement for the next game. It wasn't much "gameplay", but it was content for the time being, for me, because they were in hiding so i didn't expect Desmond to be fighting much and he was still learning through the bleeding effect to become more of an assassin (which i thought they were building up each game so he could be an actual assassin in 3?)

Now, I finished AC 3 the other day, which is what brought me here. I was disappointed with Desmond's portion of the game in AC 3. I felt everything was rushed and poorly executed. It baffles me how well they did his part in 2 and brotherhood but then it gradually got worse with Revelations and then 3. I give Revelations a bit of a slip because Desmond was in the black room so it was suppose to be "different". I think i actually may have enjoyed Desmond in Revelations more so than I did in 3...well wait haha that may be pushing it.

So, what game do you think had the best Desmond sequences/story/gameplay?

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 06:56 AM
AC III...In terms of Content AND Story...Not that I thought it was the best written piece of literature ever, but compared to before, AC III takes the Cake for me..

ACR comes a close second, then ACB, then AC I

Leave about 500 meters of dirt...

Then comes AC II

TheBearJew32
12-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Haha i literally pushed refresh and then saw that part you added on, good stuff. Maybe i expected too much for Desmond in this one. They did a good job building him up, but when it was over i was just thinking "Oh come on man" I actually sat through the whole credits thinking about what ways they can do the next one with Desmond again. I hope people take part in those surveys, i'd like to see him back

Dangerzone50
12-03-2012, 07:15 AM
agree with ACB having the best desmond gameplay... the beginning and ending levels were fun, as was searching the villa for relics, it was a fun distraction

as for story, i dunno... all the desmond stories are mashing together into one amalgam in my head now, cause of that poor ending of his... but i loved his Ac2 story because of how much of it meshed with ezios story, and even the AC2 post-credit scene was fun (with him staring down vidic)

i also loved the espionage parts of Ac1 (stealing pens and reading emails) i just wish there was more to explore in it

same goes for revelations, animus island was just too small, and not many people liked the block platforming levels

Ac3 should be my favorite... but the lack of confession scenes from the people he killed really ruined those parts, and that ending really just rubs me the wrong way, stripping all enjoyment

EDIT and Ac3 has about as much desmond gameplay as any previous title... yet another lie

Free_Hidings
12-03-2012, 07:21 AM
I loved ACR's stuff, gave a nice background for Desmond, and the ACB stuff was cool too. I liked in AC2 where you first started experiencing the bleeding effect, and the breakout mission. AC1 I also enjoyed, though there was less variation in stuff to do, due to the nature of the story. A bit more snooping would've been cool, but it was fine. But overall, AC3 is above and beyond them all.

Firstly, the confrontation with his dad was awesome, and all the conversations well worth listening too.

Secondly, the cave had lots of cool free running and stuff to do, and was in general a cool place to explore.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, I found the Desmond missions far exceeded my expectations (admittedly none too high) Climbing that massive tower and looking out over the city, going through the train station, it was all really cool. GTA with awesome fighting moves :)

Big nod to Brotherhood for the Lucy / Desmond stuff which was great, and the climatic ending, brilliant. Highlight though would be the building tension between Desmond and William, that was great stuff.

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 07:22 AM
EDIT and Ac3 has about as much desmond gameplay as any previous title... yet another lie
prove it..

Because that`s a definite false..I can tell you this with Certainty that AC III has the most Portions of Desmond than any other previous game in the series..and I can prove it

Free_Hidings
12-03-2012, 07:26 AM
prove it..

Because that`s a definite false..I can tell you this with Certainty that AC III has the most Portions of Desmond than any other previous game in the series..and I can prove it

You'd be deluding yourself to think AC3 has equal to the others.. The only reason Brotherhood took so long is because of how hard it could be to find things around Monterigioni. AC3 had much more content and the content was not just free running around looking for things (though I definately enjoyed the platforming in the cave) the missions were so cool!

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 07:29 AM
You'd be deluding yourself to think AC3 has equal to the others.. The only reason Brotherhood took so long is because of how hard it could be to find things around Monterigioni. AC3 had much more content and the content was not just free running around looking for things (though I definately enjoyed the platforming in the cave) the missions were so cool!
And even with that, it was still shorter than AC III. People who hate the game will crawl over anything, even if it`s wrong..

Dangerzone50
12-03-2012, 07:36 AM
prove it..

with pleasure... in terms of levels (cause counting lines and weighing story impact is subjective) AC3 had 3 desmond levels plus the temple (the intro and outro were both part of this same large setpiece)

AcR had FIVE desmond levels and the animus island as a hub

AcB had 2 desmond levels, and the modern day monterrigoni villa which was actually larger then the temple plus the final S16 truth puzzle as desmond (and his dlc storyline, setting up ACR if you had finished the main story before playing it)

Ac2 had the hideout, The abstero escape, the glyphs, and the altair memory... (the warehouse was also a level of sorts if you really want to get nitpicky) and the sudden appearance of the dlc was woven into the present story as well

and AC1 had a series of interludes (5 i believe) with most of them unlocking some new part of the lab

So... when you look at the number of levels and locations? both ACR and ACB had just as much desmond as Ac3... and im sorely tempted to say that ACB might actually have more

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 07:46 AM
with pleasure... in terms of levels (cause counting lines and weighing story impact is subjective) AC3 had 3 desmond levels plus the temple (the intro and outro were both part of this same large setpiece)

AcR had FIVE desmond levels and the animus island as a hub

AcB had 2 desmond levels, and the modern day monterrigoni villa which was actually larger then the temple plus the final S16 truth puzzle as desmond (and his dlc storyline, setting up ACR if you had finished the main story before playing it)

Ac2 had the hideout, The abstero escape, the glyphs, and the altair memory... (the warehouse was also a level of sorts if you really want to get nitpicky) and the sudden appearance of the dlc was woven into the present story as well

and AC1 had a series of interludes (5 i believe) with most of them unlocking some new part of the lab

So... when you look at the number of levels and locations? both ACR and ACB had just as much desmond as Ac3... and im sorely tempted to say that ACB might actually have more
Oh really ?? That`s your proof ?? Some of these things do not even count towards the Content. What you say here proves nothing. I want the number of hours mate...

AC I = 32 minutes (Everything)
ACII = 37 minutes (Everything "Including Altair`s Dream)
ACB = 49 Minutes (Everything)
ACR = 44 minutes (Everything)
AC III = 3 hours...

I`ll give you Videos that prove this if you`d like

Dangerzone50
12-03-2012, 07:48 AM
3 hours? i highly doubt that... the levels take 15 minutes each, if that... unless i am missing something major here (which i doubt)

between the levels, conversations, the temple exploration, the beginning and end... i cant see how desmonds time adds up to anymore than 60 minutes

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 07:54 AM
3 hours? i highly doubt that... the levels take 15 minutes each, if that... unless i am missing something major here (which i doubt)
15x3= 45 minutes..

Intro = 10 minutes
All Conversations = 30 minutes
All power Source Cutscenes = 30 Minutes
Ending = 10 minutes

Has Combat and Parkour and stealth

I stand corrected then...a bit over 2 hours xD

So again...Want more proof ??

Dangerzone50
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
*shrugs* sure why not... but ACB has just as much as AC3, im telling you

all ac3 has that ACB doesn't, is combat and stealth...

they both have the same length intro, the villa is a larger location, it also had things to find within it... all 3 Ac3 missions are matched in length and complexity by one in ACB, there are 3 characters to converse with in each game... both have the same length ending (no although ending movie in ACB, ill grant you that) and to top it off, ACB had more connections between the ancestors part of the game and desmonds... name one thing you could find as connor that would carry over into desmonds side of it (like the glyphs or even a precursor message for desmond) nope... only connections are desmonds now iconic "WTF!" after the haythem plot twist and the location of the amulet...

Also, that sense of deja vu you had when Connor hid the amulet? that's cause Ezio his his apple in the same manner... reliving someones life to find a hidden artifact

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
*shrugs* sure why not... but ACB has just as much as AC3, im telling you

all ac3 has that ACB doesn't, is combat and stealth...

they both have the same length intro, the villa is a larger location, it also had things to find within it... all 3 Ac3 missions are matched in length and complexity by one in ACB, there are 3 characters to converse with in each game... both have the same length ending (no although ending movie in ACB, ill grant you that) and to top it off, ACB had more connections between the ancestors part of the game and desmonds... name one thing you could find as connor that would carry over into desmonds side of it (like the glyphs or even a precursor message for desmond) nope... only connections are desmonds now iconic "WTF!" after the haythem plot twist and the location of the amulet...

Also, that sense of deja vu you had when Connor hid the amulet? that's cause Ezio his his apple in the same manner... reliving someones life to find a hidden artifact
Minutes, my friend...number of minutes..

Because I can twist things in AC III and tell you "HAH !! AC III had more than ACB" Would you like me to do that ? And you`ll actually have nothing to say in rebuttal btw, because I`ll mention things just as ridiculous as the things you mention (Maybe even less ridiculous)

TheBearJew32
12-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Well, quality over quantity. Trying to prove which game had longer segments though is tough because Player A doesn't play the same way as Player B. I can say that i spent hours with the Desmond parts in Brotherhood, but that doesn't mean someone else would spend hours with it. I also liked finding the relics throughout the villa and the Vidic stare down/getaway in 2 was good. I ran around so much in the cave in 3 looking for little secrets or just anything really, but all that would happen is me getting freaked out by Minerva's spirit flashing herself around (hmm...), which i liked though (giggity) cuz it created an eerie atmosphere.
I just don't think they put as much detail into the Desmond missions this time as they should have. The Abstergo level for instance, could have been so much more. i liked it, but it could have been a lot better. I mean, Desmond, the obvious enemy and biggest threat to the Templars, just walks in the front doors and kills a whopping 4 guards before he gets to the elevator. Then you eventually reach the room where it all began...all the way back in 2008...still remember poppin that bad boy in Christmas day for the first time...and you're only in there for a whole minute before Cross darts off? no nostalgia cutscene? no flashbacks? not even a lucy reference? ...the nostalgia still hit me though. I really liked the tower mission too that was probably my favorite

Farlander1991
12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
name one thing you could find as connor that would carry over into desmonds side of it (like the glyphs or even a precursor message for desmond) nope. only connections are desmonds now iconic "WTF!" after the haythem plot twist and the location of the amulet...

You're forgetting about the father and son relationship and how the pure goal for freedom may be self-destructing, both of which seep in Desmond's storyline (Desmond and William relationship, Desmond choice at the ent).

Although, I think that Connor's story would be a nice catalyst for Desmond to accept his destiny as an Assassin (with all the good and bad things that come with that), but Revelations kind of snitched that part of the progression.

I can't say I'm entirely satisfied with Desmond's part of the game (in fact... I'm kind of disappointed with it, even though I liked it... if that makes any sense...), but there still are more connections between Connor and Desmond rather than just the key.

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Well, quality over quantity. Trying to prove which game had longer segments though is tough because Player A doesn't play the same way as Player B. I can say that i spent hours with the Desmond parts in Brotherhood, but that doesn't mean someone else would spend hours with it. I also liked finding the relics throughout the villa and the Vidic stare down/getaway in 2 was good. I ran around so much in the cave in 3 looking for little secrets or just anything really, but all that would happen is me getting freaked out by Minerva's spirit flashing herself around (hmm...), which i liked though (giggity) cuz it created an eerie atmosphere.
I just don't think they put as much detail into the Desmond missions this time as they should have. The Abstergo level for instance, could have been so much more. i liked it, but it could have been a lot better. I mean, Desmond, the obvious enemy and biggest threat to the Templars, just walks in the front doors and kills a whopping 4 guards before he gets to the elevator. Then you eventually reach the room where it all began...all the way back in 2008...still remember poppin that bad boy in Christmas day for the first time...and you're only in there for a whole minute before Cross darts off? no nostalgia cutscene? no flashbacks? not even a lucy reference? ...the nostalgia still hit me though. I really liked the tower mission too that was probably my favorite
I`m trying to prove a fact. An average playthrough (Not rushing) has the numbers I mentioned, and of course, it`s up to you to think that Quality over quantity, but facts are facts, AC III`s Desmond Portion was the longest in the Series. Like it or not..

I`m okay with you and him liking anything else other than 3. It`s your opinion, what i`m not okay with is false facts..That`s all

TheBearJew32
12-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah i get you i wasn't stating any facts. I'd probably agree cuz i spent around 10 minutes at least with each mission. Length isn't my issue. Just the quality and execution

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Yeah i get you i wasn't stating any facts. I'd probably agree cuz i spent around 10 minutes at least with each mission. Length isn't my issue. Just the quality and execution
Of course, my friend...I understand, it was never my intention to correct YOU

I found the missions in AC III way more enjoyable. I`m happy you enjoyed ACB more than I did..Really I`m glad.

AdrianJacek
12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Of course, my friend...I understand, it was never my intention to correct YOU

I found the missions in AC III way more enjoyable. I`m happy you enjoyed ACB more than I did..Really I`m glad.

Well, to be fair these are 2 completly different types of enviroments. ACB gave us ancient tombs 'n stuff while AC3 presents us with 100% modern architecture in those missions. It's more a matter of preference which one you enjoy more in 2012. Though I you must agree they all have great dialogue from Desy's Assassin cell members. :P
Ps.: Can you actually steal that ticket in the second mission?

Chariflame
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
While his ACIII missions were quite amazing, they were few and far between, and overall the modern plot in ACIII felt very anticlimatic to me... I didn't feel particularly rewarded after the amount of investment I'd put into those characters.

So I'd say personally, my favourite would be Revelations? I know a lot of people disliked the first-person gameplay but I thought it was a really nice change of pace and the blend of mind and machine in the design was absolutely beautiful. Desmond's Journey and The Lost Archive were my favourite parts in Revelations.

But I really do love Brotherhood for the amount of interaction and build-up with Lucy, Shaun, Rebecca and Sixteen. So overall, I'd probably say my favourite games in regards to modern/Desmond development are Brotherhood and Revelations. It's funny that the two slot-in games gave us more than the main entries in the series...

Eduard413
12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I agree with Dangerzone, ACB had the best gameplay for Desmond, AC3 had the second but it sucks because of the ending and the Abstergo Mission,
and AC3 have the longest part as Desmond but not so longest, I donīt believe AC3 had 3 hours of Desmond, 1 hour and 20 minutes I believe, but previous titles had the same lenght when you wanted to solve all the glyphs and so on,
ACB had the same lenght as AC3, the first mission, then all the conversations, ending and glyphs with the Truth sequence or how should I call it
I really hope and wish the next AC will have Desmond again and end his story properly and with all revelations and with emotional mindblowing ending, I mean cmon, Ubisoft always did a excellent epic ending for AC game but why not for AC3? also, the Abstergo mission is funny but the story is just stupid
also I know in AC3, Desmond main plot was to find the Power Sources and then the Key but, in the previous games, his another mission was to fight with templars and discover something about them, but nothing, no explenations from Glyphs, who is Desmond son or Eve in Eden

TheBearJew32
12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I just don't get why they left out some things in Desmond's aspect of the story this time, it's almost as if the endings of past games didn't happen they way the did. Maybe they made it too easy for newcomers to jump right in, without delivering a strong conclusion for the people who have been with him since 2008.

FrankieSatt
12-03-2012, 10:07 PM
ACII had the best Desmond segments and story hands down.

Free_Hidings
12-03-2012, 10:15 PM
ACB did not have as much Desmond as AC3, but even if it did, it still did not have "MORE", in the sense that a majority of ACB Desmond time was spent running around Monteriggioni or the tomb stuff. AC3 had full on missions with combat etc. So not just in terms of quantity, but quality also AC3 had the most.

TheBearJew32
12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Yes AC3 spent the most time with Desmond i would say...but that doesn't mean i think it was the best. that's what i mean by quality over quantity. If you loved his missions or segments in whichever game, it doesn't matter how long it was, as long as it suited you and you enjoyed what you got, then it's all good. AC3 gave me enough Desmond, but i don't think the quality was where it should have been. I still enjoyed it, but i was expecting it to be my favorite and conclude everything that was created in Brotherhood and Revelations, but in my eyes it didn't. I think quality is the opinion aspect of it. Nobody is wrong

thefreeman28989
12-04-2012, 12:35 AM
I would have to say ACB is my favorite for Desmond gameplay since there was still so much left for us to find out and we were still in the dark for what was yet to come. Even if it only totaled under an hour of gameplay it was the most appealing and entertaining to me.

Dangerzone50
12-04-2012, 03:48 AM
At this point, this is semantics. But tbqh i was expecting whole Desmond sequences and locations... not just 3 linear levels and a temple to explore

They should have given Desmond the Haythem treatment as well\. play the game for like 3 hours before we even get to haythem or connor in the animus... That's what i was expecting when they said "more Desmond game play than ever before". WHICH by the way has an implied-subliminal meaning of there being more than all previous games put together... and by Assassin_M's own admission, there was only about 10-20 more minutes of desmond than the previous isltallments

And like i said before... if this was not his final game, i would be THRILLED with his AC3 bits. but they had a higher bar to reach on this one and they did not even get high enough to knock it off the rack, let alone soar over it

I just hope the DLC does what ACB did... and add clarification and a bit of continuing to the story, plus the ACR trailer at the end made my day

EDIT: HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXXsoj7mNE8)is the actual video that played at the end of the DLC on PC and PS3... i believe it was the first ever mention of ACR to the world and was later made into an E3 trailer i believe

Assassin_M
12-04-2012, 04:32 AM
So..Now that that`s done, I`d like to explain why I preferred AC III`s Desmond Portions ESPECIALLY why I prefer it over ACB`s Desmond Portion. Now both ACB and AC III gave a world to roam in, granted ACB does give a much MUCH larger and beautiful world. But then what ?? That`s Monterrigionni..Now The database mentions how the town`s control was given back to the Auditores...Now all that`s good and dandy and IMPLIES that the new Auditores LIVED in the Villa, Right ? But guess what...They lived in a Villa with 3 Cannonball holes..(Wow these guys became really cheap) Yeah, we had a few Cars, a few bikes and a couple of Trash bins....Yeah..That`s 2012. I understand how that created Familiarity with players, it was supposed to be "Oh I was here as Ezio" But no...That`s not what I felt..My reaction was more like Shaun`s... "History is Change, Change is life. When things become static, it means they`re dead"

AC III gave a MUCH smaller world to roam in. The Grand temple. Here`s the trick....We`v NEVER been there, but it`s a place that has BEEN for about 80,000 Years. The place had secrets, rooms, machines, SECRETS. You know ? What did Monterrigioni have ? Yeah...A red trail...That. And we all know how that went. even the underground entrance to the town..We`v partially seen that in AC II. Roaming the Temple, seeing Juno pop out of nowhere...that was creepy..it put a sense of "hssssssss" in the Atmosphere. <_< >_> All the time. you actually had the place explained, because we know nothing of it and its secrets were Awesome to look at.

Now to the missions. ACB gave none really, AC III gave us 3 linear, averagely sized levels. I FINALLY got to see 2012...Skyscrapers, cars in the streets below, Metro, Modern people(Yes they were invented) ...etc. Boring. yes boring and Daniel Cross...MAN that was just.....blank. Alright now why do i like it ?? Variety...

1- Platforming, Parachuting.
2-Stealth, Unarmed Combat, chase
3-Armed Combat, Chase, (limited stupid) Guns and APPLE.. ( Do you know how satisfying it is to force a man to shoot himself ?? not really)

Before ACR, I couldn't care less about Desmond. So it was like this... AC I = Ooooh That`s THE guy ? AC II = meh...He`s still THAT guy. ACB = He climbs slower than Ezio...What ?? ACR = Wow...AC III = Awesome..

That`s it for me...I highly urge people to explain their opinions too...It`s entertaining...Gives everyone a good read and insight..

TheBearJew32
12-04-2012, 04:42 AM
At this point, this is semantics. But tbqh i was expecting whole Desmond sequences and locations... not just 3 linear levels and a temple to explore

They should have given Desmond the Haythem treatment as well\. play the game for like 3 hours before we even get to haythem or connor in the animus... That's what i was expecting when they said "more Desmond game play than ever before". WHICH by the way has an implied-subliminal meaning of there being more than all previous games put together... and by Assassin_M's own admission, there was only about 10-20 more minutes of desmond than the previous isltallments

And like i said before... if this was not his final game, i would be THRILLED with his AC3 bits. but they had a higher bar to reach on this one and they did not even get high enough to knock it off the rack, let alone soar over it

I just hope the DLC does what ACB did... and add clarification and a bit of continuing to the story, plus the ACR trailer at the end made my day

EDIT: HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXXsoj7mNE8)is the actual video that played at the end of the DLC on PC and PS3... i believe it was the first ever mention of ACR to the world and was later made into an E3 trailer i believe

WOW i remember that. It got me so excited for Revelations...man now that i think about it i really enjoyed Desmonds parts in Rev. especially that one journey about the bar in NY "lights, action, bass drum" at that point it was around the first time i watched the movie Tron legacy cuz in came on Starz, and i loved the music in that, so that specific Desmond segment is a good memory for me. I tip my hat to you sir

Dangerzone50
12-04-2012, 05:02 AM
lol yeah my first reaction after that trailer was "wait, WHAT? another f***ing Ac game next year?!"

then came all the E3 buzz... TBQH i was actually more stoked for ACR than i was fgr AC3... cause the promise of "answers" meant more to me than ac3's promise of a "revolutionary experience"

and ACR DID indeed answer and wrap up a lot in a satisfying way... if only AC3 had done as much for Desmond