PDA

View Full Version : On the ending being "bad" and inspiration from movies ( no spoilers AFAIK)

killzab
12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
I just watched The Dark Knight Rises again and the ending almost made me cry and struck me hard even though it was my second viewing.

And after seeing that, I just don"t understand why they can't do a decent ending in video games ...

I think the ending as it is is "correct" as in the events in it are not absurd or unacceptable ( like Mass Effect 3 ) but the presentation is sub-par ...

Just imagine for those who've seen it, the ending of TDKR without the music and scenes edited in a flat, linear way... it would've been unimpactful ..

What I don't understand is THEY DID IT RIGHT last time !!!

Revelations, despite all its flaws, had a strong and emotional ending. It was one of the most moving and emotional endings I had seen in a long time, seeing the end of Ezio and Altair's journey was a strong moment, that and the discussion with Tinia. All beautifully executed, supported with Jesper Kyd and Lorne Balfe's music.

Please, don't leave a bad taste in our mouth and make all the time we've spent with these characters be worth it.

Sushiglutton
12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Biggest difference is that Nolan wanted to make a definitive ending to TDKR. Ubi on the other hand wanted to do a cliffhanger ending for AC3. The latter is ofc less satisfying as an ending. Flip side is that we get more games :D.

rupok2
12-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I personally thought the dark knight rises was a very crappy movie. It was very ****che and compared to previous batman movies it sucked especially towards the end.

So ya not a good reference point imo.

D.I.D.
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
It was very ****che

What happened there? Did you try and spell "cliché" as "cli" with a "tche"? :D

UrDeviant1
12-02-2012, 05:41 PM
I personally thought the dark knight rises was a very crappy movie. It was very ****che and compared to previous batman movies it sucked especially towards the end.

So ya not a good reference point imo.

Agreed. I never even made It to the end of the movie.

killzab
12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
If you guys love AC3's story and don't like TDKR... i don't know what i can do for you ..

You can't say AC3's storytelling is better than a Nolan movie ... it's a matter of fact ...

Assassin_M
12-02-2012, 07:27 PM
You can't say AC3's storytelling is better than a Nolan movie ... it's a matter of fact ...
No...

It`s a matter of taste, a matter of Opinion, it`s Subjective..

Say otherwise and you lose any credibility you may have had..

shobhit7777777
12-02-2012, 08:26 PM
The TDK trilogy is one film which just cannot work without music

Imagine the Joker without the tension building wailing alarm
Imagine Batman being batman without the 2 not batman theme and the booming French horns
Imagine the TDKR ending without the batman motif kicking in when Alfred looks up to see Bruce and Selina
Imagine Bruce making it over the pit without the chanting and again...the batman theme.

So yeah...music does make a moment epic if done right. I can agree with that.

killzab
12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
No...

It`s a matter of taste, a matter of Opinion, it`s Subjective..

Say otherwise and you lose any credibility you may have had..

M ... of ALL people, YOU shouldn't lecture me about opinions and whatnot ... you're the one who's always crushing people's opinions saying they're bad etc ...

So okay, i'll do it your way and say that if your opinion is that AC3's got better storytelling than TDKR, then TO ME your OPINION is bad ... happy ?

TrueAssassin77
12-02-2012, 08:41 PM
M ... of ALL people, YOU shouldn't lecture me about opinions and whatnot ... you're the one who's always crushing people's opinions saying they're bad etc ...

So okay, i'll do it your way and say that if your opinion is that AC3's got better storytelling than TDKR, then TO ME your OPINION is bad ... happy ?

he only crushes there opinions if the oppinionated guy states them as fact or if the guy implies others are ___________ if they don't agree with the opinion. and he actually does have the right to judge your opinion. if you don't want him to. don't post it on the internet

killzab
12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
You're wrong, judging people's opinions is offending.

You can say you don't agree with someone, but you can''t say his opinion is bad ...

Well actually you can, but that's the different between "nice" and social people and the others ... why not try and be polite ?

I'm not the only one complaining about Asassin M's behaviour ... that's saying something.

The thing is I think he makes interesting and valid points but he doesn"t have to **** on people whose opinions are different from his.

TrueAssassin77
12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
You're wrong, judging people's opinions is offending.

You can say you don't agree with someone, but you can''t say his opinion is bad ...

Well actually you can, but that's the different between "nice" and social people and the others ... why not try and be polite ?

I'm not the only one complaining about Asassin M's behaviour ... that's saying something.

The thing is I think he makes interesting and valid points but he doesn"t have to **** on people whose opinions are different from his.

yea it can be offending... but the if you post on the internet an opinion, you should ezpect to be judged. the issue with your opinion is that you said "if someone thinks AC3 story is better than TDKR's story they are a lost cause". and that my friend is what he attacked you for.

If you guys love AC3's story and don't like TDKR... i don't know what i can do for you ..

do you really not see where you went wrong?

killzab
12-02-2012, 09:10 PM
To be honest, I do... but I was upset when I wrote that...

I don't think M is upset all the time.

Assassin_M
12-02-2012, 09:49 PM

Yes

Assassin_M
12-02-2012, 09:51 PM
To be honest, I do... but I was upset when I wrote that...

I don't think M is upset all the time.
I`m upset all the time..

SweetsMachineGun
12-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I legitimately thought this was going to be an argument about movies have socialized us into seeing these kinds of endings "bad," and that we rely on tricks such as music, suspension of disbelief, and emotional build-up too much to trick us into thinking what makes a good climax.

Lol. Even after all this time my days as an English major still haunt me.