PDA

View Full Version : HEY UBISOFT! Creative inspiration from Philip K. ****'s "VALIS" ?

ChiefRollinLeaf
12-01-2012, 05:04 AM
I've been reading VALIS, an amazing book from Philip K. **** (author of books that inspired movies such as Minority report, Scanner darkly, and terminator, and possibly Assassins creed) and in this book he talks about phylogenic memory, which is memory of the species, which is what the Anamis (VALIS also speaks of Anamnessis, which is the reverse of Amnesia; possibly another reason ubisoft named the machine the anamis) is accessing in Desmond to play back his memories. I am just curiouse if your team at Ubisoft used VALIS as a creative inspiration in the making of Assassins creed? If so, I think that would be a great honor to Philip K. ****. It would be cool to hear some feedback from you guys if this is so, if not, then what was your inspirations? I love the games and am currently enjoying every second of AC3, PLEASE BE SPOILER FREE COMMENTS.

Thanks guys, hopefully I will get some response.

ChiefRollinLeaf
12-01-2012, 05:08 AM
wow, they wouldn't let me spell his last name... well guys, it starts with a D, and rhymes with STICK....

BATISTABUS
12-01-2012, 05:11 AM
The idea of genetic memory obviously has roots in science, and while I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure the notion has been around for a while. While I don't think the guys over at Ubisoft got the idea from this book (heck, maybe they did), that's a good find with Anamnessis!

montagemik
12-01-2012, 05:16 AM
mmmmmmmmmmm It's just a shame Abstergo tech is called the ANIMUS - Not animis.

rupok2
12-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Is this another lawsuit waiting to happen? lol.

ChiefRollinLeaf
12-01-2012, 05:34 AM
ok, Animus. but this isn't a spelling bee, its a forum.

montagemik
12-01-2012, 05:43 AM
ok, Animus. but this isn't a spelling bee, its a forum.

I Haven't read the book - for all i know the book could refer to something called Animis as you stated - I was merely stating the name of Abstergo tech . Calm down susan.