PDA

View Full Version : How do you craft throwing knives to get stuns?

Synjin Savant2
11-29-2012, 04:51 AM
I have two points spent on "speed," and I use it to bail myself out when a pursuer is close, but I never get a stun out of it. At best, I either run away or get a "honorable death" if I dare make an approach.

I just played a guy who could throw a nice from 6-8 paces, run over and stun me. He did it 3-4 times and I didn't get so much as a contested kill.

What crafting gives you knives like that?

Madcap Luck
11-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Crafting has nothing to do with knife stuns. It's all about speed and angle of approach after knife hits.

Crafting knives for longer duration work for team modes where you want to slow the artifact carrier down a few seconds longer than usual.
Knife stunning is an art form and has to be practiced, not a gimme that a crafted knife can give.

Happy practicing!

SaintlPatrick
11-29-2012, 05:16 AM
All of them do. Knives shorten the kill/stun range of whoever they're used on. Not a lot, and not for long, so you have to be quick and careful to get it. Basically, for a short time after someone's been knifed, you can kill them and still be outside their stun range, or stun them while outside their kill range. If you're on the Xbox, I might be able to show you.

Also, speed crafting is probably the worst choice. Knives lock high profile actions, so all they can do is walk around. You'd probably get more mileage out of duration or cooldown.

BlindInIce
11-29-2012, 05:20 AM
The above two posters are right. I craft for duration so I can be a little more careful getting the stun (less likely to have to dash a few steps which risks blowing it :p). Cooldowns is also a good choice if you'd rather just have them more often. The speed reduction isn't terribly useful though in my opinion.

Free_Hidings
11-29-2012, 05:41 AM
From my experience it seems that the kill / stun range is back to normal once they can start walking around. The only time you can get a guarenteed (though occasionly lag wil screw you over anyway) stun is during the period immediately after the knife hits where they are rooted to the spot, flailing their arms around.

Crafting for duration means you can hold them for longer to get a focus / aerial sorta kill, or you can slow an artifact thief for longer.

The only reason I would consider crafting the speed is if I needed to hold them in place for a grab kill, but that's possible even without crafting if you are fast enough.

I usually craft for cooldown, as I always follow up with a stun almost instantly, meaning the extra duration is irrelevant. However in Artifact Assault the duration definately helps, I just prefer to get more uses as I can use them effectively enough.

Collinwood01
11-29-2012, 08:35 AM
If you have as many lag problems as I do then dont bother crafting knives or anything for that matter. Try to get your kill or stun and hope the game works in your favor!

Synjin Savant2
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
All of them do. Knives shorten the kill/stun range of whoever they're used on. Not a lot, and not for long, so you have to be quick and careful to get it. Basically, for a short time after someone's been knifed, you can kill them and still be outside their stun range, or stun them while outside their kill range. If you're on the Xbox, I might be able to show you.

Also, speed crafting is probably the worst choice. Knives lock high profile actions, so all they can do is walk around. You'd probably get more mileage out of duration or cooldown.

I am on xbox, so that would be rad.

It sounds like I need to be trying to stun them from further away so as to stay outside their kill radius?

Synjin Savant2
11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Crafting has nothing to do with knife stuns. It's all about speed and angle of approach after knife hits.

Crafting knives for longer duration work for team modes where you want to slow the artifact carrier down a few seconds longer than usual.
Knife stunning is an art form and has to be practiced, not a gimme that a crafted knife can give.

Happy practicing!

I never considered the angle... what's a good angle?

SixKeys
11-29-2012, 11:03 AM
In my experience angle doesn't have much to do with it. You can boldly stun them from the front as long as you remember to slow down a bit when approaching them. If you run at them full speed, they get a contested kill but if you slow down just before you reach them, you're almost guaranteed to get the stun.

Dirtyhonkie
11-29-2012, 11:53 AM
People never stun me when I'm hit by knife , at best they get an honorable death.

AFuzzyBrownBear
11-29-2012, 12:58 PM
How to defensively knife:
Step 1: Lock onto pursuer and use knife from a safe distance. (Basically anywhere outside of stun/kill range is safe)
Step 2: Approach pursuer in whatever fashion you prefer whether a fast walk or a run or a normal walk.
Step 3: Just before entering kill/stun range, normal walk into range while mashing the stun/kill button.
Step 4: If the target is still dazed from the knife you should have a free stun on them.
Step 5: If you get smoked, that's your fault.

But yea you cant sprint or fast walk into range after you knife em or you will just get an honorable death. You have to slow walk and just keep mashing. I takes a bit to perfect but I get like 95% of my knife stuns if I don't get smoked or something else.

WiNGSPANTT
11-29-2012, 07:07 PM
One thing that helps is to not walk directly at them. If you kind of orbit them and mash stun while glancing in, you're less likely to walk too far by mistake.

Pryotra
11-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Wingspantt has it right, though I find if they are charging me (at knife speed) that I can stand still while mashing the stun button and get it for free. I usually craft duration as it allows me to take my time to get the stun. I don't find myself in a situation where more knifes or increased slow help me for the most part, so if you are still looking for a crafting tip, that is my suggestion.

Wolfsbane5
11-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Knife stuns are down to a couple things: Suprise, where you targetted, angle, and lag.
in ACR the window of opportunity was 0.8 secs. In AC3 it seems alot smaller (but that might be due to experiencing more lag)
So lets say you have 0.5 secs for the perfect window of opportunity. And it works best if you werent targetted yet.
If you suprise them, so much better, but if you do, you wasted the knives cause you would have got the stun without it too.
Its nearly impossible to kill someone directly behind you (unless from a non-moving crowd). So the further out of camera view you are the better your chances.

Lag however is the biggest issue as the window of opportunity isnt that big. If the lag difference between you and him is to big, well the game favors kills over stuns.
Just takes lots of practise. Disruption is a better tool against inexperienced players, knives works better against more experienced players,
Not because knives wont on inexperienced players, but because experienced players are less likely to fall for disruption.

Practise with both =) Bodyguard works even better =P, yes it makes a sound when you use it, but people have to avoid the **** thing.
And vultures get tricked into attacking a succesfull bodyguard who in turn can be stunned by you.
(also you can only use bodyguard on people chasing you and npcs, wont work on players that arent chasing you. Simpler to find out who is after you on deathmatch)

SpontaneousC0W
11-29-2012, 11:43 PM
You don't need to craft them! :D

I don't use smoke so I HAVE to stun with Throwing Knives.

Honestly the best answer (in my opinion)
Is to just practice, get used to it.
Once you are adjusted correctly you will eventually start getting the hang of it.

It's kinda just knife them once they kneel walk up and once they start walking a bit press x (or b if acr) ;D

Free_Hidings
11-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Knife stuns are down to a couple things: Suprise, where you targetted, angle, and lag.
in ACR the window of opportunity was 0.8 secs. In AC3 it seems alot smaller (but that might be due to experiencing more lag)
So lets say you have 0.5 secs for the perfect window of opportunity. And it works best if you werent targetted yet.
If you suprise them, so much better, but if you do, you wasted the knives cause you would have got the stun without it too.
Its nearly impossible to kill someone directly behind you (unless from a non-moving crowd). So the further out of camera view you are the better your chances.

Lag however is the biggest issue as the window of opportunity isnt that big. If the lag difference between you and him is to big, well the game favors kills over stuns.
Just takes lots of practise. Disruption is a better tool against inexperienced players, knives works better against more experienced players,
Not because knives wont on inexperienced players, but because experienced players are less likely to fall for disruption.

Practise with both =) Bodyguard works even better =P, yes it makes a sound when you use it, but people have to avoid the **** thing.
And vultures get tricked into attacking a succesfull bodyguard who in turn can be stunned by you.
(also you can only use bodyguard on people chasing you and npcs, wont work on players that arent chasing you. Simpler to find out who is after you on deathmatch)

No, the window of opportunity is much longer than 0.8 seconds. It is more like 2-3 seconds. What you are thinking of is the short period where you can stun them at any range. but you can still get the stun after this period for another second or two. Basically it is as long as the person is writhing around and can't move. I believe once they start limping around, their kill range is back to full, so you can only get an honourable death

Sirwaka
12-03-2012, 01:08 AM
The problem I am experiencing with knifes is whenever I toss them at my victim, I run over to them, doesnt matter if I am close or far, but I will get a kill that is contested by them.

While When I get hit by knifes, also people run to me from longer distances, they just kill me, and no matter how much I lock on them and clickspam my mousebutton, I never get a contested death out of it for myself.
They just get full points.

Why is this? Have their knives been crafted in some way? Because it basicly happens all the time.
And it's pretty frustrating.

MrKnox122
12-03-2012, 01:11 AM
I craft mine in Rapid Reload

Serrachio
12-03-2012, 01:37 AM
The problem I am experiencing with knifes is whenever I toss them at my victim, I run over to them, doesnt matter if I am close or far, but I will get a kill that is contested by them.

While When I get hit by knifes, also people run to me from longer distances, they just kill me, and no matter how much I lock on them and clickspam my mousebutton, I never get a contested death out of it for myself.
They just get full points.

Why is this? Have their knives been crafted in some way? Because it basicly happens all the time.
And it's pretty frustrating.

The reason why you are being contested/killed is because you're running into their shortened kill/stun range. What you need to do is slow down just before you get to them so that you can pull off the interaction without any interference.

Think of the kill/stun range from an bird's-eye view as a circle, with the respective character in the centre as a dot. In a regular instance, the range of you and the person you want to interact with will be the same, which means the two ranges will overlap on the dot at the same time. (like a Venn diagram)

With a person briefly affected by Throwing Knives, their range will shrink, meaning that your kill/stun range can overlap on their dot before theirs does to your own. In effect, this means you can stun or kill them with no resistance, but only as long as their range remains smaller than your own. If you run in to do this though, you risk their reduced range hitting your dot and making it an Honorable Death or Contested Kill.

PANiC_ATTACKER
12-03-2012, 01:57 PM
The only good thing AC3 MP has over Revelations is extra ability with the the Knife/stun!. I have it perfected, its all about timing, distance from your pursuer and speed. Its great because along with defensive Smoke bomb you twice as many cracks at stunning your pursuer and counter killing them! love it

Jaanii95
12-03-2012, 03:21 PM
YourInnate made a guide were he explains it. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_swPrWSxHI&feature=results_video

Sirwaka
12-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Thank you for explaining, I will try to see if it will work better in future!

and thanks for the youtube vid, will watch it now!!

TR0UBLMAK3R
11-14-2013, 12:54 AM
knife stuns exist, they are just different. i just posted a vid about it

http://youtu.be/GyXU2g7RoTM