PDA

View Full Version : AC3 for PS3 - UPlay passport not being honored

PDXSerric
11-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Ok, for starters, I live in Australia. I am a fan of the Assassin's Creed titles and when I saw the new ACIII come out, I had to buy it, More, a 'Freedom Edition' was advertised for slightly more than the price of the game itself. I went that direction and bought the game. Then I tried to enter my Uplay Passport code... no go. It stated the code was either invalid or already in use. After getting copies of my receipt and sending it to Uplay support, I receive the following message:

According to your receipt you purchased the PS3 Freedom Edition of the game. Unfortunately the Freedom Edition was only available in Europe. Due to this, any codes we do give to you may not work. The replacement department may choose to deny a replacement for these reasons. I will go ahead and forward them your information and let you know when we hear back.

WTH??? I bought the game *as advertised* new and unused, paying a substantial price for this edition, and now I am being told that the edition that was sold in stores isn't valid and I might just be out of luck? This makes NO sense to me. I am sure Ubisoft had no issues in shipping the units to Aus and boosting their revenue as the game sold out quickly in most stores throughout the states, but now they suggest they aren't going to honor the codes that were a part of that edition?

Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, did they get it resolved?

Avagantamoz
11-28-2012, 11:01 PM
You bought an edition that "was only available in Europe" and you live in Australia. You should have seen an issue like this coming. While the code SHOULD have worked because it was a new, Ubisoft probably doesn't need to do anything about it.

LUR21
11-28-2012, 11:18 PM
I'd get back at them about that. I too live in Australia and bought Freedom edition from EB games. Uplay passport worked. I'd be really chasing them to fix that up for you. It's not right for them to say to you "bad luck".

PDXSerric
11-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Avagan: I understand your position, but to be honest, the “you should have seen this coming” comment is rather moot given the fact I purchased the game/edition *as advertised* in a retail store here in Australia. The ‘buyer beware’ model of business doesn’t apply in this scenario. Had I purchased the game, sealed and brand new, from another source (ebay, etc.) then I would have to agree with you wholeheartedly. But as that isn’t the case, I would argue a little more – and have.

LUR: Agreed (as stated above). We’ll see…

UPDATE: I sent them an explanative message pretty much outlining what I said above and they seem to agree; I have just received a response with a new code. I’ll put it in tonight and see if it works.

If so, I’ll have to hand it to Ubisoft for prompt and excellent customer service given a rather confusing issue. Kudos given where they are deserved and all…

PDXSerric
11-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Hmmm.... I have entered the new code. It has downloaded and supposedly installed. I have restarted my machine and it fails to recognize the code, asking me to either activate a passport or play without one. I've tried this three times, both in the regular and multiplayer areas and still no change. Do I have to do a little dance and prayer to Ubisoft to make this thing work?

montagemik
11-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Ok, for starters, I live in Australia. I am a fan of the Assassin's Creed titles and when I saw the new ACIII come out, I had to buy it, More, a 'Freedom Edition' was advertised for slightly more than the price of the game itself. I went that direction and bought the game. Then I tried to enter my Uplay Passport code... no go. It stated the code was either invalid or already in use. After getting copies of my receipt and sending it to Uplay support, I receive the following message:

According to your receipt you purchased the PS3 Freedom Edition of the game. Unfortunately the Freedom Edition was only available in Europe. Due to this, any codes we do give to you may not work. The replacement department may choose to deny a replacement for these reasons. I will go ahead and forward them your information and let you know when we hear back.

WTH??? I bought the game *as advertised* new and unused, paying a substantial price for this edition, and now I am being told that the edition that was sold in stores isn't valid and I might just be out of luck? This makes NO sense to me. I am sure Ubisoft had no issues in shipping the units to Aus and boosting their revenue as the game sold out quickly in most stores throughout the states, but now they suggest they aren't going to honor the codes that were a part of that edition?

Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, did they get it resolved?

Make a 2nd PSN Account on the UK PS3 site - Maybe then your UK / Euro code will work . Worth a shot.