PDA

View Full Version : Swiftly losing interest in Connor [may be spoilery]

JediJabroni
11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
I was among the people who liked this character as written. His voice actor is kinda weak, but I still liked him.

Until....

There were two arguments he had with Achilles that made me want to slap the snot out of him. First he says something along the lines of how Achilles doesn't deserve credit for what he's done. To which Achilles rightly retorts: Fine, give back all your weapons and forget your training,and let's see how well you do. Connor doesn't apologize. He just grunts. Ungrateful putz. I understand pride, but that was just plain childish. That's the kind of behavior I would have expected from Connor as a kid, not by that point in the story.

Then the argument at the top of seq 9 before Valley Forge was the real kicker. Again he's ripping Achilles a new one like he's just some doddering old man who doesn't know any better and doesn't do anything. Are you kidding me? He. Saved. Your. Life!! you petulant little turd. Not to mention that once again, I'm agreeing with everything Achilles says in reply. That scene got me to the point where, from a story perspective, I don't know if I want to play this character any more. Even Altair at his most arrogant was not that big of an a-hole.

I can only hope that something prompts Connor to grow the f up. What's depressing is that by that point in the story, he SHOULD have. What happened to the narration way earlier where he supposedly learned lessons about patience and strategy? He admits those were the hardest to learn... which implies that he DID learn them. But apparently not.

Have to amend my list of favorite Assassins to go: Ezio, Achilles, Altair, Yusef, Connor. (By this point in the game at least. There is still time for him to redeem himself)

FirestarLuva
11-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Don't know if you have finished the game or not, but everyone hated Connor at this part, even I did and he is my favorite AC character now. Even the developers said people will have mixed feelings on Connor during some point in the story. I suggest you should continue playing the story as well as the Homestead missions until the end. You won't be disappointed in Connor. :3

cmrggamer
11-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Definitely finish the game. I really liked their relationship and by the end he will redeem himself.

ACfan443
11-28-2012, 08:37 PM
If you haven't finished the game, do so. And play ALL the homestead missions.

ZephyrStrife
11-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I can't help but laugh at anyone who gets so bent out of shape over Connor's rebellious nature against Achilles' advice. Stop acting like you've listened or believed everything that your elders has told you before. Its a perfectly human reaction. Especially towards someone who keeps telling you that your wasting your time, you're going to fail and just to leave the situation alone.

Achilles' right in some ways but in others he is not.

Avagantamoz
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Meh, finished the game and all the side missions but Connor still seems lacking to me. I know I've only had one game to get to know him but he seems so ungrateful and a ****ish.

InfectedNation
11-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Everyone loses their temper at some time or another and says really stupid things. Don't expect him to be some "Pure good" hero you're used to seeing in Hollywood movies. Also he does apologise to Achilles for his behaviour at certain points in the story.

SPOILERS:

And Achilles wasn't always in the right - "Your struggle is the colonists' struggle" - Well that didn't turn out to be so, did it?

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
11-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Everyone loses their temper at some time or another and says really stupid things. Don't expect him to be some "Pure good" hero you're used to seeing in Hollywood movies. Also he does apologise to Achilles for his behaviour at certain points in the story.

SPOILERS:

And Achilles wasn't always in the right - "Your struggle is the colonists' struggle" - Well that didn't turn out to be so, did it?

Achilles was also wrong about the Templars being on the side of the British. Still, Connor acted really immature for not giving Achilles credit, but that wasn't really that bad because Connor runs up the stairs and jokes that Achilles could admit that he was wrong about Connor and his ability to fight the Templars.

JediJabroni
11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
If you haven't finished the game, do so. And play ALL the homestead missions.

As I said... I understand pride. I also understand being rebellious and hot headed. It's not merely the arguing that turned me off. It was the intensity of bile that Connor was throwing at Achilles. Connor wasn't merely frustrated. He wasn't merely disrespectful. He said some ugly, ugly things. They were the kinds of things that I'd expect a punk kid to say, which was -- I had thought -- something Connor had grown OUT of by that point in the game.

Earlier there was the narration that glossed over his training. Connor talked about how hard it was for him to learn lessons of patience, etc. The implication being that he DID learn them. Those two scenes threw that idea out of the window. You might have thought that Achilles coming to save his bacon from the hangman's noose might have given him just a smidge humility. Guess not.

It's encouraging to know that this does turn around. I kind of figured it would. Achilles is easily my favorite character in this game. I just think there were better ways to put Connor on his hero's journey without making him out be THAT big of a baby.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 12:09 AM
*sigh* Yet again, People do not understand that Connor is a flawed character..Not rebellious, not hot headed...Everything he said was true..Achilles degrades the work he does and never encouraged Connor. I`m not justifying any of the things he said, but they were all true...Connor is a boy...FOR GODS SAKE HE WAS 18 during the first fight and 22 in the second... -_-

UrDeviant1
11-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Something tells me that the Devs have achieved exactly what they wanted to achieve by having people dislike or question Connor's character. He's flawed and It's good that people have noticed. His good points are more subtle than his bad, especially his charm. If the people that full on dislike him could just read Into his character more, I think they'd grow to like him.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Something tells me that the Devs have achieved exactly what they wanted to achieve by having people dislike or question Connor's character. He's flawed and It's good that people have noticed. His good points are more subtle than his bad, especially his charm. If the people that full on dislike him could just read Into his character more, I think they'd grow to like him.
Exactly. I hated the first fight, because I just loved Achilles, but that`s part of why I think Connor is just a genius creation..

ace3001
11-29-2012, 01:09 AM
A flawed character doesn't mean a bad character.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 01:11 AM
But he`s BOOOOOOOOOOOORING D:

ProdiGurl
11-29-2012, 01:25 AM
I can't help but laugh at anyone who gets so bent out of shape over Connor's rebellious nature against Achilles' advice. Stop acting like you've listened or believed everything that your elders has told you before. Its a perfectly human reaction. Especially towards someone who keeps telling you that your wasting your time, you're going to fail and just to leave the situation alone.

Achilles' right in some ways but in others he is not.

I have to find some agreement with this - the thing is, I think alot of us say & do things that can make us temporarily unlikeable and I would expect an Assassin to be even more complex and possibly emotional than regular people due to their ... occupation.

I think all of them should exhibit some troubling attitudes, viewpoints or emotions with everything they risk and strive for & Achilles does have his faults too.
I like them both a lot.

pirate1802
11-29-2012, 04:03 AM

Oh no it doesn't. Infact I'd argue exactly the opposite. A flawed character is more interesting in my eyes, that a perfect-in-every-ways character.

abbitha7
11-29-2012, 05:48 AM
I agree with you, OP. I don't like Connor. And no, it's not because he's 'flawed' (which he is-majorly). I can't stand how he's a **** to everyone and he never really seems to mature. Connor is much more likeable during the Homestead missions, but they don't really connect to the main story, which portrays him as a ****ish, immature person.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 05:49 AM
I agree with you, OP. I don't like Connor. And no, it's not because he's 'flawed' (which he is-majorly). I can't stand how he's a **** to everyone and he never really seems to mature. Connor is much more likeable during the Homestead missions, but they don't really connect to the main story, which portrays him as a ****ish, immature person.
You just contradicted yourself..

Congrats

abbitha7
11-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Yawn... you again? I don't like Connor. He may be flawed, but that doesn't make him a good character.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Yawn... you again? I don't like Connor. He may be flawed, but that doesn't make him a good character.
He`s so scared of me, he`s yawning...

I actually forgot that this was subjective....It`s Subjective..sorry to crush all your hopes and dreams..

zhengyingli
11-29-2012, 06:13 AM
You just contradicted yourself..

Congrats
Lol "more likeable" doesn't mean abitha actually likes Connor at any point, so no contradiction there.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Lol "more likeable" doesn't mean abitha actually likes Connor at any point, so no contradiction there.
That`s not the point of Contradiction I was reffering to xD

zhengyingli
11-29-2012, 06:17 AM
That`s not the point of Contradiction I was reffering to xD
****, send me back to grade school and enlighten me.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 06:19 AM
****, send me back to grade school and enlighten me.
Nah you`re good....:p

Grade School does not enlighten you :|

Dagio12
11-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Pretty much all the reasons people don't like Connor, are all the reasons I love him as a character. A nice fresh of breath-air against the sea of cookie cutter characters. He is a genuinely flawed but real character. I don't know, I like it.

montagemik
11-29-2012, 07:12 AM
*sigh* Yet again, People do not understand that Connor is a flawed character..Not rebellious, not hot headed...Everything he said was true..Achilles degrades the work he does and never encouraged Connor. I`m not justifying any of the things he said, but they were all true...Connor is a boy...FOR GODS SAKE HE WAS 18 during the first fight and 22 in the second... -_-

I Agree , I See nothing wrong with Connors reactions or behaviour when actually taken in context with all he's been through .
He's Brash , arrogant , rebellious , impatient - Typical average Teen & young man in any culture .
Add to that the actual SIMPLER lifestyle he's always known Switched relatively quickly into the western teachings of Achilles & the task set before him & i still have nothing but respect for his strength of character consistently shown & Compassion towards other relative strangers .

Honestly one of the more believable & human Assassin's we've seen in the series.
Altair, by contrast had been accustomed to the order pretty much his whole life & knew no other way than the Order Yet still showed similar Arrogance to his brothers & peers at the time - despite being Older.

Connor - Altair , then AC-R ezio for me. (only in AC-R did i have any real respect for ezio's character / personality)

psf22
11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I Agree , I See nothing wrong with Connors reactions or behaviour when actually taken in context with all he's been through .
He's Brash , arrogant , rebellious , impatient - Typical average Teen & young man in any culture .
Add to that the actual SIMPLER lifestyle he's always known Switched relatively quickly into the western teachings of Achilles & the task set before him & i still have nothing but respect for his strength of character consistently shown & Compassion towards other relative strangers .

Honestly one of the more believable & human Assassin's we've seen in the series.
Altair, by contrast had been accustomed to the order pretty much his whole life & knew no other way than the Order Yet still showed similar Arrogance to his brothers & peers at the time - despite being Older.

Connor - Altair , then AC-R ezio for me. (only in AC-R did i have any real respect for ezio's character / personality)

Agree with this.

If you lose your mother at a young age, father turns out to be well (you know), you're an outsider trying to 'fit in' while you're people are in the midst of a huge conflict (WAR!) turns into Assassin which makes you even more of a loner meanwhile growing up with actually no real guidance except for Achilles, you'd expect him to act exactly like he does and in the end you kind of get 'played'. Which makes the whole buildup of his character and progression seem very realistic. I mean just the look on his face in the epilogue with the slaves, says it all.
In a sense Connor's impulsive like his mother, but a fighter like his dad. Through multiple segments and scenes in the game it's made obvious that he isn't particularly bright, but he's adventurous, compassionate and willing to take risks. He believes in everything a true Hero should, except he isn't portrayed as perfect or overly charismatic.

Connor's character was really well done, and through him and what he stood for changed my perception of what the assassins stand for which was obviously more than just eradicating Templars for the sake of freedom but also the way in which he achieves this, no matter how the end result played out. In a way it evolved, but that's just my opinion.

Bravo!

xboxauditore
11-29-2012, 09:15 AM
There were two arguments he had with Achilles that made me want to slap the snot out of him. First he says something along the lines of how Achilles doesn't deserve credit for what he's done. To which Achilles rightly retorts: Fine, give back all your weapons and forget your training,and let's see how well you do. Connor doesn't apologize. He just grunts. Ungrateful putz. I understand pride, but that was just plain childish. That's the kind of behavior I would have expected from Connor as a kid, not by that point in the story.

Then the argument at the top of seq 9 before Valley Forge was the real kicker. Again he's ripping Achilles a new one like he's just some doddering old man who doesn't know any better and doesn't do anything. Are you kidding me? He. Saved. Your. Life!! you petulant little turd. Not to mention that once again, I'm agreeing with everything Achilles says in reply. That scene got me to the point where, from a story perspective, I don't know if I want to play this character any more. Even Altair at his most arrogant was not that big of an a-hole.

True on these parts, I love Ratohnhake:ton, But every time he argued with Achilles I wanted to pimp-slap him.

Flying-Tempest
11-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Flame me all you want but despite finishing the game, Connor is just difficult to warm up to. Of the many games I have played I have always warmed up to the protagonist. With Connor I found him to be a real bore and I actually hoped something bad would happen to him in the game so his boring childish personality would change.

gyigyo
11-29-2012, 06:51 PM
I always hated etzio but i finished every ac2 game, for me altair and connor the best.