PDA

View Full Version : Running across the treetops of The Frontier in pouring rain. <3

ace3001
11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
First of all, sorry for the silly nature of this thread, but I figured I'm going to share my experience with some more fans of the game. :D

I was collecting feathers in The Frontier, when it suddenly started raining. Thundering and all that. And with that, I started moving randomly through the treetops, like a madman. No aims or objectives, just running around, freely. Went on like that until the weather changed back to the normal sunny setup.

http://i.imgur.com/0GV9j.jpg

For some reason, it felt like the single most fun thing I've done in a video game in a long time. I was actually saddened when the rain stopped. Suffice to say, I just LOVE this new weather system.

Anyone else had any experiences of the sort? Surely, I can't be the only crazy one. :p

pirate1802
11-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Seriously <3 The frontier. It may well be my new favourite "city" of the Ac series. :D

MasterAssasin84
11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
First of all, sorry for the silly nature of this thread, but I figured I'm going to share my experience with some more fans of the game. :D

I was collecting feathers in The Frontier, when it suddenly started raining. Thundering and all that. And with that, I started moving randomly through the treetops, like a madman. No aims or objectives, just running around, freely. Went on like that until the weather changed back to the normal sunny setup.

For some reason, it felt like the single most fun thing I've done in a video game in a long time. I was actually saddened when the rain stopped. Suffice to say, I just LOVE this new weather system.

Anyone else had any experiences of the sort? Surely, I can't be the only crazy one. :p

I love the frontier and i agree the weather effects makes such a difference i love it when i am up in the trees and it starts thundering and raining and a templar convoy goes past i attack it !! the weather adds to the atmosphere.

Avagantamoz
11-28-2012, 05:58 PM
I love the weather as well. My favorite is walking right up to rooftop guards in Boston at night while its raining. Their visibilty is terrible under those conditions so they're easy pickings. Wish I could make it rain more often, better yet, have it rain permanently via an option in the settings menu or something.

FirestarLuva
11-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Frontier is simply the best map in AC franchise so far. For me it was way more beautiful than Florence, Venice, though Constantinople is a close second. :3

pacmanate
11-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Look at those sexy graphics, stupid consoles.

cmrggamer
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM
I love the Frontier as well. It's the little details--puddles collecting in the road, the shine on the rocks when they're wet--coupled with the weather effects that make the setting especially beautiful. I haven't played much in the snow, but the environment looks great then too!

zhengyingli
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Thunder effects. 'Nuff said.

playassassins1
11-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Yes! It's probably the best map they've created so far in AC. Running across trees just feels awesome during storms, especially when hunting.
I think I've spent more time in the frontier than I did in New York/Boston.

:eek: the game looks beautiful on PC.

Rogue-Eaglet
11-29-2012, 05:14 AM
You should try hunting Bears during a storm. Having the bear attack you just at the same time as the thunder rumbles and lightning strikes... total love.

ace3001
11-29-2012, 05:28 AM
You should try hunting Bears during a storm. Having the bear attack you just at the same time as the thunder rumbles and lightning strikes... total love.
For some reason, during my 30 hours of play (yeah, short compared to most of the people here :p ), I've met only two bears, and both were at the same place. Couldn't kill one cause I accidentally fell down a waterfall. -_-

http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/eek.png the game looks beautiful on PC.

Look at those sexy graphics, stupid consoles.
Actually, my screenshot is with the "High" settings mostly. There are several graphic settings that can be set to "Very High", which I sadly can't use cause my PC isn't powerful enough. Google some proper PC screenshots to see how good the game can look.

Rogue-Eaglet
11-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Kolitha, bring up the Frontier map. A little south of the Davenport Homestead fast travel, there's an island. It's called the Bear Island for a reason, it's a hot spot for them. I've noticed that they tend to come out in groups during dusk/night. It's a good idea to hunt them, their pelts are the ones which fetch the most, followed by beavers.

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 02:29 AM
I was thinking of this post earlier today: has anyone else climbed one of those big trees (the ones in the Frontier that act as viewpoints) as the sun starts to rise with a little mist blurring out the distance? It's really quite beautiful. Stayed there for a few minutes just enjoying it :)

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 02:30 AM
I was thinking of this post earlier today: has anyone else climbed one of those big trees (the ones in the Frontier that act as viewpoints) as the sun starts to rise with a little mist blurring out the distance? It's really quite beautiful. Stayed there for a few minutes just enjoying it :)
I stayed up there a full in-game day :|

ace3001
11-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Should try that. How long does it take for the day-night change to happen, anyway? M should know, I guess.. :p

Kolitha, bring up the Frontier map. A little south of the Davenport Homestead fast travel, there's an island. It's called the Bear Island for a reason, it's a hot spot for them. I've noticed that they tend to come out in groups during dusk/night. It's a good idea to hunt them, their pelts are the ones which fetch the most, followed by beavers.I found yesterday, actually. :D Went there to get Bear Grease to craft Soap for a delivery request. I kinda wish we could actually fight the bears (and other predators as well) properly without QTEs, though. :(

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 02:42 AM
I stayed up there a full in-game day :|

Haha that's awesome! Maybe I'll try that when I go back home and can play again.

@Kolitha: I'm not sure how long, unfortunately, but maybe M will know XD
Yeah, the only way to kill those bigger predators without going into QTEs is to basically get them by surprise or drop down from above.

Has anyone played much in the snow? I've been meaning to go back and do that too.

Godforbid12
11-30-2012, 02:46 AM
I've always been a fan of weather in games it just really adds to the atmosphere.

The other day i was just killing people for no reason in boston then it started to rain, but the sun was setting so it gave this orange, yet monsterous glow, there was thunder, wind and lightning the strange thing was the orange glow started turning red as in response of the men i just killed.........

The thunder never stopped.

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 02:48 AM
a full game day takes about 2 real-life hours...

ace3001
11-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Has anyone played much in the snow? I've been meaning to go back and do that too.Does winter even occur after the story unless you use Season Changer hack?

I've always been a fan of weather in games it just really adds to the atmosphere.

The other day i was just killing people for no reason in boston then it started to rain, but the sun was setting so it gave this orange, yet monsterous glow, there was thunder, wind and lightning the strange thing was the orange glow started turning red as in response of the men i just killed.........

The thunder never stopped.
Rain in the setting sun is always great.

http://i.imgur.com/3SJzo.jpg

a full game day takes about 2 real-life hours...
And you just stared at the screen for two hours...?

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 02:54 AM
And you just stared at the screen for two hours...?
Don`t judge me :|

ace3001
11-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Don`t judge me :|It's more like amazement and shock rather than judging. :p

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 03:06 AM
It's more like amazement and shock rather than judging. :p
I`m an Appreciator of the littlest things xD

You wont believe how much time I spent courting all NPCs in RDR and the Homesteaders in AC III:p

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Does winter even occur after the story unless you use Season Changer hack?

Rain in the setting sun is always great.

No, winter does not occur without the season hack, which I haven't used yet.

The rain does look great with the sunset. Love the ripples on the water in your screen--great details!

@M: That is impressive that you could sit and enjoy it for a full two hours :)

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 03:15 AM
Anybody found the highest point in the Frontier yet ??

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Anybody found the highest point in the Frontier yet ??

No, but ooh that sounds like a fun challenge!

Did anyone ever accidentally come across the cave where Desmond and the gang are in? I did, and I was kind of sad that Connor never learned about it...

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 03:20 AM
No, but ooh that sounds like a fun challenge!

Did anyone ever accidentally come across the cave where Desmond and the gang are in? I did, and I was kind of sad that Connor never learned about it...
Yeah I found it too...it`s a nice little "Easter egg" :P

I did not find it accidentally, though...I cant say how xD Spoilers

But Yeah Imma find that highest point

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 03:23 AM

Yeah, it is a nice Easter egg.

When you do, post a picture! :)

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 03:28 AM
Yeah, it is a nice Easter egg.

When you do, post a picture! :)
That`s the thing...I don't have a TV capture device :P

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 03:30 AM
That`s the thing...I don't have a TV capture device :P

Haha right, I forgot you weren't a PC player for a second there. Camera? XD

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Haha right, I forgot you weren't a PC player for a second there. Camera? XD
I thought you`d say that, but aren't cameras sucky ? I mean...if we`re going to see something that has AWESOME graphics, I`d need a capture device...If I have a decent camera, though..I`ll try xD

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 03:46 AM
I thought you`d say that, but aren't cameras sucky ? I mean...if we`re going to see something that has AWESOME graphics, I`d need a capture device...If I have a decent camera, though..I`ll try xD

This is true. Most cameras aren't so great at getting photos of TVs or monitors.
Well, maybe if you can pinpoint the location on a map one us PC players can try and find it and post a picture :P

Also, on note with the little things we like about the game: stumbling upon the animal interactions has been really fun, I know they were proud of those subtle things they added to the game

ace3001
11-30-2012, 03:46 AM

How would you know whether you've been to the highest point, though? Is there an achievement for that or something?

And I heard that the cave is around Kanien:keh somewhere. Any tips on finding it? :p

Sidizen
11-30-2012, 03:52 AM
The frontier just proves that Connor is the best Assassin.

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 03:53 AM
How would you know whether you've been to the highest point, though? Is there an achievement for that or something?

And I heard that the cave is around Kanien:keh somewhere. Any tips on finding it? :p
You know you`re at the highest point when you feel it :P

And the cave is at Black Creek...The northern most part of Back Creek

Sidizen
11-30-2012, 03:53 AM
I don't know how, but he is the only assassin who has been in the wildness yet, true fact.

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 03:54 AM
This is true. Most cameras aren't so great at getting photos of TVs or monitors.
Well, maybe if you can pinpoint the location on a map one us PC players can try and find it and post a picture :P

Also, on note with the little things we like about the game: stumbling upon the animal interactions has been really fun, I know they were proud of those subtle things they added to the game
If I get there I`ll pinpoint my location on a map, Yes..

Also, indeed..The Animal interaction in this game is actually much better than Red Dead Redemption..

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 03:55 AM
There's no achievement, but it would be interesting to see if people all come to the same conclusion about the highest point wouldn't it?!

ace3001
11-30-2012, 04:10 AM
I think I found the cave.

http://i.imgur.com/nynZW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IjhpQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LNTVQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZGxtt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NrKvS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bB3eX.jpg

Wonder whether it's the night time + bad weather outside causing it to be so dark.

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 04:13 AM
Aw, you found it! Isn't it cool? :)
You should definitely go back during the day time

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 04:22 AM
Awesome xD

Rogue Agent 035
11-30-2012, 04:24 AM

I too agree...., I can't tell you how many times I too was tree hopping only suddenly hear a crash of thunder followed by the rain only to hear from the room my wife ask if it's starting to rain only to smile an say "Honey..., a thunderstorm in late fall is highly unlikely in this part of the US, what you are hearing is the weather system in AC3". :cool:

ace3001
11-30-2012, 05:22 AM
Went there again. Now with a little more light. :p

http://i.imgur.com/jCqAK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xf0OE.jpg

Too bad it isn't much to look at. :/

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Too bad it isn't much to look at. :/
What ? You wanted to go inside ?? xD

Where an obsessive, depressed and murderous witch resides ? :P

Haytham`s lucky it never opened

ace3001
11-30-2012, 05:31 AM

Haytham`s lucky it never openedWhy is he lucky it didn't open? =O

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Why is he lucky it didn't open? =O
Because he`d have met Juno:)

shobhit7777777
11-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Moar PC screens!

cmrggamer
11-30-2012, 08:43 PM

Haytham`s lucky it never opened

When I stumbled upon it I thought the same thing...man, how things would have been if he had been able to open it.

I was sort of hoping from some little comments from Connor (I guess I was kind of hoping for his mother to have passed the story down to him).

El_Noruego
11-30-2012, 08:57 PM
This game desperately needs weather toggle options. The rain and thunder are awesome.

Yo dawg, I heard you like to make it rain so I put some extra coins in your purse so you could make it rain while making it rain.

InfectedNation
11-30-2012, 09:35 PM
This game desperately needs weather toggle options. The rain and thunder are awesome.

Yo dawg, I heard you like to make it rain so I put some extra coins in your purse so you could make it rain while making it rain.

SPOILER:

Collect the pivots once you complete the story, then you can change the weather.