PDA

View Full Version : Never seen a game crash as often

Phase71
11-28-2012, 12:46 PM
I love this game and it really shows that a lot of time, love and money went into making AC III.

That said, in my 20+ years as a gamer I have never played a game that crashed as frequently (Outside of Skyrim with 200 random mods) and it's getting quite frustrating. I have over 100 games in my Steam library and each and every one of them runs fine and without issues. Not AC III.
Sometimes the game will run for 30 minutes, sometimes for 1 minute. But eventually the screen will turn black, the sound will loop and I will need to reboot my PC in order to get rid of the looping sound. The game usually crashes at the exact same locations (e.g. when climbing in a certain tree during a mission, just before a certain cutscene) and the crashes are often replicable.

I have tried everything from updating to the latest (beta) drivers and DirectX, downgrading drivers, changing graphics and sound settings, updating my BIOS, etc. Eventually I did a clean install of Windows 7 and only installed AC III to see if that would solve it. No luck.
Given that my PC is completely clean at the moment, I have zero issues with over a hundred other games and mine is not exactly an isolated problem, I'm quite certain the problem lies with AC III.

Ubisoft, the delay of the PC release was supposed to get rid of stuff like this. Please release a decent patch!

P.S
For those wondering, my specs are:
core i5 2500K
Gigabyte GTX670 OC
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1666Mhz
128GB Crucial M4 SSD for Windows
separate 128GB Crucial M4 for Steam (AC III)

Andre_0112
11-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Weird. My AC 3 has never crashed on the 24 hours I have put to it, the only thing that crashed was Uplay which I don't really care about. I also own the Steam game.

eadghe78
11-28-2012, 01:35 PM
I also had not a single crash in 30h playing...

yongimtiger21
11-28-2012, 10:41 PM
i've had the same issue, i however haven't even gone through anything yet! Ill find my seat at the theater and bam white loading screen with that ****ed exclamation point laughing at me until it crashes out! :( :( very unhappy!

MaceMagoo
11-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Never had a crash either.

jus.rasta
11-28-2012, 11:12 PM
it crashes on multiplayer... FIX fix fix... NOW!!!!

we payed for a game and can't enjoy de multiplayer:mad:

Phase71
11-28-2012, 11:21 PM
After much trial and error, I think I found the solution for my specific issue (crash with black screen and looping sound).

I clocked my GPU back to standard speeds and incrementally increased the GPU voltage from 988mV to 1025mV. Game has been running stable for the past two hours.
Why the GPU was stable during 2,5 hours of Furmark and a couple hours of Heaven but not during 10 minutes of ACIII is a mystery to me. Poor optimization of either ACIII or NVIDIA's drivers seems my best guess. Anyway, it seems to work.

I hope this info may help others with similar issues.