PDA

View Full Version : George Washington: A Serious Mistake

WarriorPaint
11-28-2012, 02:32 AM
It’s obvious the writers at Ubisoft never wanted us to like George Washington. “Shaun’s” entry in the database trashes him from beginning to end. In his first formal appearance he’s reciting a speech so boring and insignificant not even his fellow members of the Continental Congress cared to pay him any attention. He’s never seen inspiring his troops, “rallying the colonists”, or doing anything worth acknowledgement at all. All he does the entire game is stand around and talk to Connor about his failures and utter a few extremely hypocritical lines about freedom and justice. His very last conversation with Connor only serves to make us dislike him even more so.

So why would the writers think we would enjoy a story with their portrayal of him as a significant part of the plot? The assassins and Templars fight over him for most of the game like he’s a Piece of Eden or something. Connor and the patriots in the story treat Washington as if he’s already the hero that won the war and became the first president. But in reality during most of time period of this game, he was losing almost every battle and struggling to lead an increasingly dejected army. Even if we know of Washington’s accomplishments from history, the game never gives us (or Connor) any truly compelling reasons to believe in Washington or want to save him; and yet we’re forced to go along with Connor’s relentless quests to aide Washington in any way he can. I honestly think it’s one of the reasons people have trouble sympathizing with Connor’s character. I really liked a few of the historical figures in AC3, but George Washington was definitely one of the worst. What does everyone else think about his character?

rileypoole1234
11-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Shaun's a stereotypical Brit. He trashes every American thing in the database, which is pretty much all of them. I liked his character, it seemed pretty realistic to me. I would type more but my computer keeps freezing.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Old Georgie ? Well...American History classes I`v taken have a set of ranks for each of the founding fathers, you see, but they`re all treated as saints usually. There is the working rank, genius rank and there is God. That was basically Washington, he was God...

I`v no problem with people treating their heroes as such, BUT do not force it in a neutral game. as for Connor`s actions and highlight of Washington`s incompetence, it is shown very well. Haytham calls Washington Incompetent and Insecure and sometime later, Connor actually agrees with him, but the reason he does not wish to remove Washington is because that`s not his business. Connor`s business is to ensure History continues without Interference. he does not favor Washington as he said, but rather disfavors the intrusion of the Templar order and it`s installation of Lee in George`s place...

That`s it..

GunnarGunderson
11-28-2012, 02:41 AM
It's obvious that the controversy over the advertising caused the writers to change a lot of things. The fact that his possession of the apple is only mentioned in passing in present day is proof of this

montagemik
11-28-2012, 02:44 AM
I Saw it as a pretty honest depiction of the real man . He was deeply flawed as a man & Washington himself knew this, But that's not what history usually notes of it's leaders - even in modern times.

(& no i'm not a brit bashing an american - We've had more than our fair share of tools running our country for centuries)

TrueAssassin77
11-28-2012, 02:45 AM
im glad... he was prtrayed awesomely.

sorry but as an African American, i really don't like how america tries to "suger-coat" its history in anyway. sorry just how i think

WarriorPaint
11-28-2012, 03:00 AM
Haytham calls Washington Incompetent and Insecure and sometime later, Connor actually agrees with him, but the reason he does not wish to remove Washington is because that`s not his business. Connor`s business is to ensure History continues without Interference. he does not favor Washington as he said, but rather disfavors the intrusion of the Templar order and it`s installation of Lee in George`s place...

That`s it..

There's plenty of evidence to the contrary. Connor said to Achilles: "George Washington now rallies the colonists. This country might finally be free.”
Ubisoft is marketing their Tyranny of Washington DLC with a line that reads: "To return freedom to the land our new hero must dethrone a tyrant he once called friend."
There are even Assassins Guild missions in which Connor sends out his recruits to make sure Washington gets various supplies even when no Templars are involved.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 03:03 AM
There's plenty of evidence to the contrary. Connor said to Achilles: "George Washington now rallies the colonists. This country might finally be free.”
Ubisoft is marketing their Tyranny of Washington DLC with a line that reads: "To return freedom to the land our new hero must dethrone a tyrant he once called friend."
There are even Assassins Guild missions in which Connor sends out his recruits to make sure Washington gets various supplies even when no Templars are involved.
And what does that tell you about George`s Incompetence ??;)

Besides my point still stands. Connor agreed to an extent with Haytham after their mission with Church that Washington is Incompetent..

Also, The Marketing is skewed. Do not take it`s word for ANYTHING..evident by AC III`s initial Campaign..

montagemik
11-28-2012, 03:09 AM
And what does that tell you about George`s Incompetence ??;)

Besides my point still stands. Connor agreed to an extent with Haytham after their mission with Church that Washington is Incompetent..

Also, The Marketing is skewed. Do not take it`s word for ANYTHING..evident by AC III`s initial Campaign..

Maybe incompetent leaders & G.W is just linked thoughout history :o

zhengyingli
11-28-2012, 03:10 AM
The Marketing is skewed.
**** yeah 'MURICA!!!! Washington tag-team!!! <-------- The impression I got from the comment section of the E3 CG trailer. I bet most of them are disappointed with the game for this simple reason...

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 03:10 AM
Maybe incompetent leaders & G.W is just linked thoughout history :o
Nah xD

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 03:11 AM
**** yeah 'MURICA!!!! Washington tag-team!!! <-------- The impression I got from the comment section of the E3 CG trailer. I bet most of them are disappointed with the game for this simple reason...
Some of those were here xD

Complaining how the game portrayed "American heroes" as human...

vulgarhythms
11-28-2012, 08:01 AM
"The reflection upon my situation, and that of this army, produces many an uneasy hour, when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in, on a thousand accounts; fewer still will believe, if any disaster happens to these lines, from what cause it flows. I have often thought how much happier I should have been, if instead of accepting of a command under such circumstances, I had taken my musket upon my shoulders and entered the rank, or if I could have justified the measure of posterity, and my own conscience, had retired to the back country, and lived in a wigwam."
-Letter sent by George Washington during the siege of Boston, January 14th, 1776.

massmurdera_666
11-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Nobody's perfect. Not even our Founding Fathers. And ****, everyone was basically drunk back in those days, as it was safer to drink booze than water, maybe the Revolution started because of a drunken bet? Now wouldn't that be a trip?

zhengyingli
11-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Nobody's perfect. Not even our Founding Fathers. And ****, everyone was basically drunk back in those days, as it was safer to drink booze than water, maybe the Revolution started because of a drunken bet? Now wouldn't that be a trip?

Imagine a drinking game is what kicked started the Tyranny of King Washington where good ol' Georgie took the throne on a drunken bet. That'll be a LOL moment for me.

ace3001
11-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Why would a single character being incompetent have any negative effect on the overall story?

I must say that I'm looking forward to the George Washington DLC in a way, though. As the devs once said that they try to fit everything in AC, including multiplayer, to the narrative, I'm curious to see how they're going to fit the non canon memories into the game. I'm sure I'll be a little disappointed if it turns out to be a random marker suddenly appearing on the map, like Benedict Arnold DLC was, without any narrative "excuse" for it being there. :p

montagemik
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
"The reflection upon my situation, and that of this army, produces many an uneasy hour, when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in, on a thousand accounts; fewer still will believe, if any disaster happens to these lines, from what cause it flows. I have often thought how much happier I should have been, if instead of accepting of a command under such circumstances, I had taken my musket upon my shoulders and entered the rank, or if I could have justified the measure of posterity, and my own conscience, had retired to the back country, and lived in a wigwam."
-Letter sent by George Washington during the siege of Boston, January 14th, 1776.

Sounds like he was Bricking it when the gunfire got a little close . LOL

MasterAssasin84
11-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Assassins Creed his is fiction based on Historical facts UBI was absolutely right to include George Washington as he was a leading figure during the American Revolution so he is very relevent to the storyline.

lightlamp
11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Yet another post compaining about Washington not being portrayed as a god. And i agree! this is an American game made for Americans so Ubisoft kind of screwed up there by not showing our dear leader in a positive light

montagemik
11-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Yet another post compaining about Washington not being portrayed as a god. And i agree! this is an American game made for Americans so Ubisoft kind of screwed up there by not showing our dear leader in a positive light

I Rather commend their Honesty.