PDA

View Full Version : Press B to skip the cutscene - are you serious Ubisoft?

Suffran
11-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Hello folks, I'm an ordinary gamer from Germany and recently bought Assassin's Creed III. When I started the game, I was absolutely overwhealmed by the new degree of detail that Ubisoft had implented into their new sequel.

And before I get over to the actual issue at all, I want to make a little annotation on the side in case that a person from the developer's team reads this:

Congratulations on your new "walking-up/down-the-stairs" -animation Ubisoft. Finally, after 4 games and 5 years, you guys actually managed to create a decent walking animation on stairs and uneven grounds...very commendable, really!

This wasn't meant to be sarcastic in any way because it was a big point of criticism on my side for all the past AC games. It simply destroyed the illusion of being really there as Altair/Ezio/Desmond, when they glitched above the stair treads every time you passed one. Well thankfully that's history now.

BUT unfortunately.... we now have a much worse problem with the new game...

What the hell were you thinking by intergrating a function that displays the message "press b to skip" on every single cutscene throughout the whole game Ubisoft? Why in the world would you do something silly as this? I mean the players can't even disable it in the menue screen and it doesn't fade away by itself either.

It ruins the otherwise magnificant cutscenes and destroys all kinds of immersion in a way, that makes it impossible for me to play further at the moment. I would really like to continue playing this great game but considering that annoying and unnecessary "improvement" of yours, my total motivation carries off instantly every time I start it.

This game could have been so perfect. I paid my money, esteemed your effort and just wanted to immerge in it deeply, but now, an annoying and obstrusive message on the right bottom of the screen annihilates my entire gaming experience...this is very pity and tragic Ubisoft.

Please I beg you, bring a little patch that disables this issue soon or give us a function to disable it in the option menu by ourselves at least. I hope you take this seriously 'cause otherwise, I reckon a signifant loss of trust on your fan-community and your customers soon. Furthermore, I would be really grateful if you guys here on the forum could support me so this crucial and disastrous problem gets solved very quickly. :(

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Considering you`re genuinely fond of something trivial as the Stair animation. I cannot berate you for hating something trivial as the "Press O to skip" xD

But I can berate you for over-reacting:p

And Welcome. feel free to search for similar threads that have the same concern and requests. They`ll understand your plight more than the average forum Idiot (i.e me)

montagemik
11-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Considering you`re genuinely fond of something trivial as the Stair animation. I cannot berate you for hating something trivial as the "Press O to skip" xD

But I can berate you for over-reacting:p

And Welcome. feel free to search for similar threads that have the same concern and requests. They`ll understand your plight more than the average forum Idiot (i.e me)

Now i'd be slated for stating something similar . :rolleyes:

mhg87
11-28-2012, 03:26 AM
You know for a person whose first language isnt english, you typed that more coherent and intelligently than everyone who has complained about this issue,
(or any issue with the game at all, since it usually desolves into " UBI SUX **** I AM RIGHT AND ANYONE WHO DIZARESS IZ WRNG!!!!!!!11111!!!111111one!"

K0lucc1
11-28-2012, 03:30 AM
It doesn't really bother me as it's easy to ignore. I can see your reasoning behind it though, some little things can be a really pain, and once you notice them you can keep your mind off them :P

My best advice is to ignore it the best you can.

K0lucc1
11-28-2012, 03:33 AM
You know for a person whose first language isnt english, you typed that more coherent and intelligently than everyone who has complained about this issue,
(or any issue with the game at all, since it usually desolves into " UBI SUX **** I AM RIGHT AND ANYONE WHO DIZARESS IZ WRNG!!!!!!!11111!!!111111one!"

Haha, well, that happens sometimes. It's not just on this forum.

mhg87
11-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Thats true enough, ever been to the Bioware forums? Holy Hell,

pirate1802
11-28-2012, 03:46 AM
I'm on the PC, and here, the "Press E to skip" becomes a small "Skip E" a while later, Not that distracting for me..

K0lucc1
11-28-2012, 03:55 AM
Thats true enough, ever been to the Bioware forums? Holy Hell,

No, I haven't, but lots complaint threads pop up after a game releases. Others just plain hate that forum after the game comes out because of that. I have no problem with them though. Most of them are legit opinions, even if they do phrase it in a way like "I AM RIGHT ANYONE WHO DIZARESS IZ WRNG"

tarrero
11-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Really????

Are you complaning about an option? Geez

Suffran
11-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Really????

No, I would be completely satisfied if it still was an option actually. But by bringing the latest patch, Ubisoft turned the initially optional skip button into something permanent. It is mandatory now.

Imagine if you would go to the cinema to watch your new favourite movie. You're exited to enjoy the full audiovisual experience but suddenly, an ugly and incongrous logo of the movie company unmissably appears on the right bottom of the screen and lasts there during the entire film. Would'nt that distract you or destroy your experience at all? It's the same with this "press b to skip" issue.

Probably it annoys me a fortiori, because I'm a purist who doesn't even uses a HUD.

Oh man why is life so unnecessarily complicated when it could be so easy....

jamgamerforever
11-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Agreed OP, I've been saying this since patch 1.02 went live. And as long as people such as yourself keep bringing it up, Ubisoft will revert it back.

Because there's really no logical reason for it being there.

Ecthelion7
11-28-2012, 10:01 PM
I agree with the OP as well. It makes no sense to do such an "improvement". I was replaying the game at the time the patch came out and while this did not force me to quit playing, it definitely caused all the cutscenes and conversations to be much less enjoyable.

ZephyrStrife
11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't think it was done on purpose but rather was an unintentional addition that occurred after patching the game. I've replayed some other missions (such as Captain Kidd missions and naval missions) and sometimes the "press O to skip" doesn't even pop up unless you do it the old fashion way. =/

ihateyou0
11-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Such a dumb complaint.....

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 05:04 AM
Such a dumb complaint.....
Such a dumb post..

Do not degrade anyone`s right of complaint..

rataven
11-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Oh wow, I popped over to these forums to issue the very same complaint. Thanks OP, for taking care of that! Yes, I definitely cannot stand the Skip icon during the cutscenes. It's so instusive and pointless. Putting this game back on the shelf until it's corrected. There are less buggy and more immersive games to play in my backlog.

And just by chance that Ubi is reading this, how come turning the HUD off entirely doesn't remove the pounds sterling icon??? Another pointless, intrusive oversight. Some people play AC games for the immersion and the opportunity to feel a part of the world and environment. Knowing how much money I have, of all things, is not something that adds to this and is certainly not anything I need to be reminded of every single second I play.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Putting this game back on the shelf until it's corrected.
Talk about over-reaction..

TrueAssassin77
11-29-2012, 05:23 AM
... i never even noticed this "problem"

not once

rataven
11-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Talk about over-reaction..

Oh relax. Everyone has their issues with this game, and that is mine. I have other games to play, and I'll do so while waiting for a fix. Win-win!

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Oh relax.
How Ironic xD

Do as you wish..

ace3001
11-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Really????

It's not an option, it's always there. It's annoying, especially when you want to take nice screenshots.

linxcross
11-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Another problem I have with this prompt is how insulting it is. Ubisoft obviously thinks its costumers are to stupid to figure out how to skip a cutscene hence why the message is now always on.

ace3001
11-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Another problem I have with this prompt is how insulting it is. Ubisoft obviously thinks its costumers are to stupid to figure out how to skip a cutscene hence why the message is now always on.

No, they're just too lazy to code it so that it fades out after a while. :p

montagemik
11-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Anyone considered it's there to hinder any youtube vids from making mass flawless compilations without permission- I Mean they've never given us a Gallery to watch all these cinematics in after game completion in any AC game.
Despite knowing many gamers like to watch this stuff again & again . Just a thought

Fondle v Corpse
11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
really ? that option only comes up for me when I press any button on a cut scene its not there until i do
and really a button, with all the stuff wrong with this game you focus on something like that
just like people *****ing about conners hood - yeah lets make a great big deal about that and overshadow ALL the other glitches in this game
idiots, I'd much rather be able to actually 100% this game which I havnt been able to do in my 2 and a half playthroughs so far, but **** yeah lets fix that hood or fix that stupid press ( ) to skip
piss off

ace3001
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
really ? that option only comes up for me when I press any button on a cut scene its not there until i doWrong. It's there always. You must be blind or something. If you press something, the "Skip []" becomes "Hold [] to skip cinematic". But it's there always.

Baked_Cookies
11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
That seems a little on the petty side to be upset about an option to skip a cut scene. I mean its an option either do or dont. And as far as I know the option isnt always visible only when you press the button they ask you to hold.

itsamea-mario
11-29-2012, 07:32 PM
i'm sure the skip prompt only shows if you press a button during a cutscene.

linxcross
11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
You people don't even read the thread. Since the latest patch the prompt is always visible.

ace3001
11-29-2012, 07:48 PM
i'm sure the skip prompt only shows if you press a button during a cutscene.The amount of people saying this is really high. Do you guys really not keep your game updated or something? Go and check the patch notes for the "thanksgiving patch".

montagemik
11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
You people don't even read the thread. Since the latest patch the prompt is always visible.

& You whiners don't use the Forum SEARCH Function ............There's ALREADY A 14 PAGE THREAD ABOUT THIS .
PRESS O to Skip - Same problem (if that's what counts as a problem) Made by a PS3 user - Same issue - same complaints - Same Solution = DEAL WITH IT . :rolleyes:

linxcross
11-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Do the same thing then. Don't like the thread? Ignore it.

Tsuzukie
11-30-2012, 03:13 AM
I could see it for the first few just to let you know you can but yeah every one is kinda annoying.for me the big thing is I am so glad you CAN skip them... The other games I found myself in those stupid animus cut scenes punching every key trying to get out of them. I think that the animus is a story killer for me. One moment I'm a assassin and then I'm in some cell or something in modern times. I hate it... I understand it was the whole tie everything together but I could do without the thing altogether... IMHO the games would have been better! Funny but in this game I have actually enjoyed the cut scenes probably because most of them are about the era your playing in. Do all these main characters really have to be related? Ya they do now because the **** animus. Separate stories about separate assassins in the same guild would have worked for me. I guess I'm just not a hard core fan.

Hoping for "Pirates Creed" based wholly on the naval aspect of ac3

Sidizen
11-30-2012, 03:43 AM
Hello folks, I'm an ordinary gamer from Germany and recently bought Assassin's Creed III. When I started the game, I was absolutely overwhealmed by the new degree of detail that Ubisoft had implented into their new sequel.

And before I get over to the actual issue at all, I want to make a little annotation on the side in case that a person from the developer's team reads this:

Congratulations on your new "walking-up/down-the-stairs" -animation Ubisoft. Finally, after 4 games and 5 years, you guys actually managed to create a decent walking animation on stairs and uneven grounds...very commendable, really!

This wasn't meant to be sarcastic in any way because it was a big point of criticism on my side for all the past AC games. It simply destroyed the illusion of being really there as Altair/Ezio/Desmond, when they glitched above the stair treads every time you passed one. Well thankfully that's history now.

What the hell were you thinking by intergrating a function that displays the message "press b to skip" on every single cutscene throughout the whole game Ubisoft? Why in the world would you do something silly as this? I mean the players can't even disable it in the menue screen and it doesn't fade away by itself either.

It ruins the otherwise magnificant cutscenes and destroys all kinds of immersion in a way, that makes it impossible for me to play further at the moment. I would really like to continue playing this great game but considering that annoying and unnecessary "improvement" of yours, my total motivation carries off instantly every time I start it.

This game could have been so perfect. I paid my money, esteemed your effort and just wanted to immerge in it deeply, but now, an annoying and obstrusive message on the right bottom of the screen annihilates my entire gaming experience...this is very pity and tragic Ubisoft.

Please I beg you, bring a little patch that disables this issue soon or give us a function to disable it in the option menu by ourselves at least. I hope you take this seriously 'cause otherwise, I reckon a signifant loss of trust on your fan-community and your customers soon. Furthermore, I would be really grateful if you guys here on the forum could support me so this crucial and disastrous problem gets solved very quickly. :(
I don't think that is a big deal at all, as a matter of fact I like it😄

montagemik
11-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Do the same thing then. Don't like the thread? Ignore it.

Or report it as a duplicate & have it closed .............Good idea.

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 06:12 AM
You cruel man

linxcross
11-30-2012, 06:20 AM

Go ahead. We just need one thread anyway.

pirate1802
11-30-2012, 06:42 AM

lololol

Solid-Shammy
11-30-2012, 07:09 AM

Maybe you should pop over to my superior thread and read every single one of my posts. Some deep philosophical discussions going on over there!

montagemik
11-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Go ahead. We just need on thread anyway.

Which was exactly my original point ...:rolleyes:

Are you not seeing the flaw in your logic there ???

linxcross
11-30-2012, 03:01 PM
I didn't make this thread second. I replied because I obviously care about this problem. I hope the chances of it being fixed increased with the more attention it gets. So keep replying on either thread, it works for me.

Suffran
11-30-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm glad that I'm not the only person who cares about the solution of this issue. After playing a few hours yesterday I noticed, that some more important
and story relevant cutscenes do not have this distracting text message on the right bottom of the screen. In these rare moments, I totally immerged into
the game like I was watching a movie. The scenery seemed so perfect and the graphics quality was much more vibrant then usual. From that second on,
I knew what I had been missing all the time. Some of you may laugh at me cause I'm writing this but believe me, it makes an incredibly huge difference
if there is a little text message or not. Try it for yourself if you don't believe my words, you will see.

And the thing with the money being displayed, I also noticed that but didn't want to mention considering the reactions of some of the posters here. You know
I always thought German forums were full of angry trolls but now I got disabused...

Apart from that I totally agree with the point that Ubisoft must think we are complete idiots who don't have the capacity to figure out how to skip a cutscene or
read a manual. That is more than an insult to our intellect.

Well I hope Ubisoft does not ignore this but... they aren't famous for supporting their fans unfortunately.

(I typed this in with a mobile phone sorry for the poor structure)

montagemik
11-30-2012, 10:18 PM
O to skip reduces the vibrancy of the scenery now ??? ...............That's a technical point Ubisoft may have missed probably - And after so many months developing the graphics too.
Think i'll manage with substandard unwatchable stuff though , :o

Fondle v Corpse
11-30-2012, 11:26 PM
hahaha ! totally,
Ohhh man I swear its like Im actually there my life is awesome..What !>!> Ohhhh press B to skip !?!?! Fuuuuck its not life, its just a game !
how exactly this ruins gameplay is beyond me, or are you so lacking in brain cells that you really believe or can imagine that you're really in the game without the horrendous press b to skip thing

and by the way no I didn't notice that it changed with the patch, because well honestly -- its only in the corner and its so small anyways and its not a big ****in deal - when ****s like you make such a big deal about **** like this they prioritize it over game breaking glitches and other annoyances - so stupid

Assassin_M
11-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Come on, guys...If this thread is really annoying just ignore it you know ?? You do not have to insult every single person who thinks this is a big issue..You may call it over-reaction, I do too, but some posts here are just nasty to these guys...

Lets all be gentlemen/ladies about this..

Fondle v Corpse
11-30-2012, 11:41 PM
No its the same **** with people crying about connors hood - people made such a stink about it that they rushed out and made such a big deal about how EVERYONE wanted it and they delivered it
when every other serious bug got overlooked - so thanks for that

Assassin_M
12-01-2012, 01:19 AM
No its the same **** with people crying about connors hood - people made such a stink about it that they rushed out and made such a big deal about how EVERYONE wanted it and they delivered it
Doesn't sound like a good enough reason to insult someone actually..

ace3001
12-01-2012, 01:49 AM

http://plus4chan.org/boards/n/src/128463393375.jpg

ace3001
12-01-2012, 02:22 PM
"capitol"
"asterisk"
>No better way to convey thoughts than to swear

http://i.imgur.com/HsvEC.jpg

Matheny
12-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I'd just like to chime in and say that I would be very happy to see this changed. I understand the reasoning behind it, it's nice to know when you're watching a cutscene and when you're in gameplay. But I think it's just too distracting. Whenever you touch any other button on the controller the text changes to "Hold B to skip cinematic". I think this is more than enough to let players know what to do. I don't understand why they patched this IN. Was it so terrible before?

It can feel very frustrating when you have an issue with a game like this. Patches are expensive to put out and can't be released every day, so you really want to feel like the developers have heard you. I'd be willing to use any hack or mod or workaround to fix this on my end.

montagemik
12-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd just like to chime in and say that I would be very happy to see this changed. I understand the reasoning behind it, it's nice to know when you're watching a cutscene and when you're in gameplay. But I think it's just too distracting. Whenever you touch any other button on the controller the text changes to "Hold B to skip cinematic". I think this is more than enough to let players know what to do. I don't understand why they patched this IN. Was it so terrible before?

It can feel very frustrating when you have an issue with a game like this. Patches are expensive to put out and can't be released every day, so you really want to feel like the developers have heard you. I'd be willing to use any hack or mod or workaround to fix this on my end.

It had to be changed from it's original format - Without the prompt the Game was so immersive & vibrant , Some people were experiencing a Bleeding effect where they could no longer distinguish between real life & the game .
Ubisoft had to change it to avoid legal action for causing mass psychosis on a global scale .
(MAYBE :cool: )

ace3001
12-01-2012, 03:28 PM
There isn't a better way to convey you're thoughts than to swear
Swearing is a great way to convey you're thoughts, even if you are not supid.

"you're thoughts"

montagemik
12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
"you're thoughts"

Yes kolitha - the spelling is incorrect ................But the sentiment remains

EscoBlades
12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
It is optional. Why would you complain about something you have the option to ignore?

*confused*

Matheny
12-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Maybe we should start a change.org petition. The petition for Malala Yousafzai to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize has like 200,000 signatures. I'll bet we could match that! We need to show Ubisoft that we mean business.

rataven
12-01-2012, 08:31 PM
It is optional. Why would you complain about something you have the option to ignore?

*confused*
That's just the thing -- there is no option to ignore it. For some people, their eyes are naturally drawn to text on screen, including my own. That's why some prefer to play with subtitles off during cutscenes, and why it's an option, ​in almost every game, to turn them on or off. There is no option to remove this 'Skip' prompt, even with the HUD entirely off. It's distracting, immersion-breaking, and insulting. Why do we need to be told what button to press in every cutscene? Show it once, show it twice, and then let it go. I don't need a reminder every time I get into a battle what buttons I need to press. And we DEFINITELY don't need a reminder during a cutscene, of all things.

You know, it's great some of you aren't bothered by this issue. I'm happy for you guys. But it bothers enough of us that you should all stop questioning why we have this issue and just move on.

Assassin_M
12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
-snap-
What a guy

Bashilir
12-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Why would you be looking in the bottom corner anyways? Look at the people's faces then..

ace3001
12-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Why would you be looking in the bottom corner anyways? Look at the people's faces then..
Do you have tunnel vision?
And just because it isn't an annoyance for you doesn't mean it's not an annoyance for everyone. It's nothing gamebreaking, obviously, and nothing to shelf the game over, but it's a really useless, bizarre design choice nevertheless.

montagemik
12-02-2012, 05:36 AM
you should all stop questioning why we have this issue and just move on.

Those who think it isn't a big deal could argue that same point ,,,,,,,,,,,,But you tell us to Quit disagreeing with you guys.

Matheny
12-02-2012, 06:19 AM
I really don't understand why so many pro "B to skip" people keep posting. Get over it, ignore it. Why? I think getting rid of this little watermark in the bottom right of the screen would be a positive change. Is their a good argument to keep it? "I like to be reminded constantly that I have the option to skip this custcene." Is that what it is? I doubt it. If the only argument for keeping it is that it doesn't matter whether it's there or not then it might as well not exist in the first place! This is a request for a simple minor change rolled into the next update and I seriously doubt that any time spent fixing this would prevent any other bugs from being fixed instead. I suspect that all the pro "B to skip" people are simply trolling.

Please give me an option to turn off this little on screen notification. The options menu already allows me to turn off every other aspect of the HUD, so I think this fits in with what players already expect.

Maybe I want to take a screenshot during a super cool cutscene! (If you're a PC player) I don't want a "B to skip" on my desktop wallpaper! Please change this. Give me the option to change this.

ace3001
12-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Those who think it isn't a big deal could argue that same point ,,,,,,,,,,,,But you tell us to Quit disagreeing with you guys.
The thing is, there really is no advantage to having that. Surely, there aren't people who forget what button skips the cinematic?

montagemik
12-02-2012, 06:43 AM
The thing is, there really is no advantage to having that. Surely, there aren't people who forget what button skips the cinematic?

And equally there REALLY isn't any disadvantage to having it there - it's a minor annoyance at best - The Rest of the game has far more minor annoyances . Should we have a petition for each of them ??

Matheny
12-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Yes.

ace3001
12-02-2012, 07:06 AM
And equally there REALLY isn't any disadvantage to having it there - it's a minor annoyance at best - The Rest of the game has far more minor annoyances . Should we have a petition for each of them ??
I'm not saying that we should have a petition. People are indeed overreacting. I can ignore it very well myself. But it is nevertheless a minor annoyance, and a bizzare design choice by the devs.

Suffran
12-03-2012, 11:39 PM
To all people who understand my standpoint:

Have you any advice what we could do to get ourselves noticed by Ubisoft? I mean I already awarded their effort for making such a great game by buying it but this lack of support makes me a little bit angry. Besides the fact that you cant disable your HUD completely and the issue with the skip message, there are a large number of bugs and inconsistencies in the game.

The trading system for example was made awfully inconvenient and time-consuming. They could have made it much more accessible and interesting.

Nevertheless, I won't complain at all. It is one of the best games I have ever played. Though I'm not a graphics-fetishist, the visuals and fluid animations are absolutely stunning and far beyond everything I have seen before. The storylie and background informations are also really interesting. I like the american history very much allthough I'm a German.

So please Ubisoft. In case you're reading this, please I beg you. Reverse your mistake with the skip button during cutscenes and make it like it was before the patch. Plus erase that ridiculous money count from the HUD when the option "disable all HUD" is enabled. That thing is unnecesarry anyway.

Maybe these allegedly small issues aren't important to you but it ruins the game considerably.

I feel like I was messed around by you. Leave the option to the players what they want to see on their screen and what not!

Matheny
12-04-2012, 09:04 AM
You want to feel like you're being heard, whether they make the changes you want or not. I know that if they responded to every request on every message board, that might open up its own can of worms. Making promises that might not end up being kept. So, yeah. Fix it. Does anyone really like the cutscene skip notification? No. Everyone either just ignores it, or they hate it. I don't think that's a very good justification for the feature.

When I see a notification on the screen that says press "B to skip" I kind of want to do that. But it's not what I want to do! So I spend every cutscene thinking about NOT pressing B, instead of watching Benjamin Franklin talk about how cool his Almanac is. Fix it. Please.

Mr_Shade
12-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Guys....

if you can't remain civil this thread is getting locked..

also swearing Is against the forum rules, so I suggest it stops now.

using littler pointy stars to hide the swearing, or spacing the words is not going to save you, if some people can't string a post together without resorting to foul language - adios!

Back to the topic...

the team are aware of some upset caused by this, however I'm not in a position to say much about it at present.

Ubisoft does listen to fans though, so those comments can stop now, since last time I checked they put the hood back up due to community requests?

Assassin_M
12-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Ubisoft does listen to fans though, so those comments can stop now, since last time I checked they put the hood back up due to community requests?
Ah Sorry, Shade..

I requested A Raptor and they did not listen...

As long as they did not listen to MY request, then they don't listen at all ..

Paribissee
12-04-2012, 11:44 AM

ARE YOU SERIOUS:rolleyes:

ProdiGurl
12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
As far as I'm concerned after being here for the past 2 releases, it won't matter what Dev's do, people will complain about all of it.
They should make playing AC "Optional" & give us the choice to design the entire game our own way. Let us make the trees purple.... and hire an entire dev team just to make 30 wardrobes with matching shoes & handbags.
That's not an attack on anyone here just that I don't know what devs could possibly do to make players happy.

This complaint appeared yesterday: >>My major gripe about AC 3 is how big the game is. I understand that you are going for realistic and everything has to be to scale, down to bricks and planks. But, here's the thing - I don't want to spend 10 minutes (real life minutes, mind you) travelling from one end of the map to the other. I am curious to how the developer meetings went, where you decided it would be FUN to make the gamer travel. Seriously?

Come on guys. You are losing touch on what makes AC fun. <<
:confused:

No need to respond, just that I kinda don't understand what's going on with gaming anymore and I'm sorry to pick this thread to unload my confusion, it may not be fair but I can't decide which thread to put it in either nor do I want to make it an entire thread when people do hold some valid criticisms / requests.

Mr_Shade
12-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Some people find things annoying, which others don't - such is the world..

Bit like the hood situation..

psf22
12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
As far as I'm concerned after being here for the past 2 releases, it won't matter what Dev's do, people will complain about all of it.
They should make playing AC "Optional" & give us the choice to design the entire game our own way. Let us make the trees purple.... and hire an entire dev team just to make 30 wardrobes with matching shoes & handbags.
That's not an attack on anyone here just that I don't know what devs could possibly do to make players happy.
This complaint appeared yesterday: >>My major gripe about AC 3 is how big the game is. I understand that you are going for realistic and everything has to be to scale, down to bricks and planks. But, here's the thing - I don't want to spend 10 minutes (real life minutes, mind you) travelling from one end of the map to the other. I am curious to how the developer meetings went, where you decided it would be FUN to make the gamer travel. Seriously?

No need to respond, just that I kinda don't understand what's going on with gaming anymore.

It boggles my mind how 'negative' folks are, whereas I'm fairly content with each edition despite all of their flaws.

Assassin_M
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM

No need to respond, just that I kinda don't understand what's going on with gaming anymore.
Of course....Everyone will tell you they know more than you...Add a nice little title (My gripe)...A nice little dedication sentence (I`v been a loyal fan since...) A nice little piece of Information to "Prove" that you know about gaming (AI...Environment "Because world is too mainstream" Uhhh NPCs) and You have a very intellectual person who knows more than you do..

I know more than you do...I know more than anyone here..HA HA

EscoBlades
12-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Constructive criticism keeps developers honest and striving to always improve, that should never change.

However, looking at the big picture, of ALL the things that anyone could potentially complain about in AC3, a little optional message in the bottom right hand corner of the screen during a cutscene is in my opinion, VERY low on the list of priorities. If you ask me, requesting the removal of something like that has crossed from the realm of constructive criticism to whining for the sake of it.

Like i said, just me opinion, for what it is worth.

montagemik
12-04-2012, 03:39 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS:rolleyes:

It subdues the reality & vibrancy .............It's really serious . Makes the game almost unuseable . :confused: & yet they still own the game . :rolleyes: :nonchalance:

twenty_glyphs
12-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Constructive criticism keeps developers honest and striving to always improve, that should never change.

However, looking at the big picture, of ALL the things that anyone could potentially complain about in AC3, a little optional message in the bottom right hand corner of the screen during a cutscene is in my opinion, VERY low on the list of priorities. If you ask me, requesting the removal of something like that has crossed from the realm of constructive criticism to whining for the sake of it.

Like i said, just me opinion, for what it is worth.

The problem is that cutscenes are constant in this game, and a lot of people want to get engrossed in the story. This message is a hindrance to that, so they are upset. I fail to see how that constitutes "whining". In fact, most of the people I see complaining about it are the people who absolutely love the game and feel like this one small change is a glaring issue ruining an otherwise great experience. I'm extremely disappointed in the game, so you don't find me complaining about this blunder; I just shake my head and add it to a long list of personal disappointments.

This message is also not optional, it's forced onto the screen against your will. Their other mistake was changing this in a patch from the original state of the game. If you're going to change something in a game that's already been released to millions of people, you should have a good reason for it. For the life of me, I can't figure out one good reason for this change. It's just so mind-numbingly stupid, to be honest. Of all the bugs that needed to be addressed, this was something they spent their time changing for the first major patch after the day one patch, and that is baffling. Even Lego Lord of the Rings has more immersive cutscenes because they know not to show a "Press [button] to skip" message until you've pressed another button first.

This may be a "little" issue, but little things matter a lot in user interface design, especially when it's an interface that you will be seeing frequently. Along with many other interface issues in the game, it shows a lack of experience and understanding in the realm of user interface design. Little things that are frequently annoying become big things. They influence your feelings and can turn your entire attitude about something. For example, even though I liked Revelations a good amount, I stopped loading it up to free-roam like I do every other AC game pretty quickly after beating it because the lack of ambient music turned me off that much -- much of it was even subconscious at the time. And that's despite knowing I could load up a story mission and sort of get it back. These "little" things matter, and are very easy to get right, which is all the more upsetting when they're screwed up.

ProdiGurl
12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
This may be a "little" issue, but little things matter a lot in user interface design, especially when it's an interface that you will be seeing frequently. Along with many other interface issues in the game, it shows a lack of experience and understanding in the realm of user interface design. Little things that are frequently annoying become big things. They influence your feelings and can turn your entire attitude about something. For example, even though I liked Revelations a good amount, I stopped loading it up to free-roam like I do every other AC game pretty quickly after beating it because the lack of ambient music turned me off that much -- much of it was even subconscious at the time. And that's despite knowing I could load up a story mission and sort of get it back. These "little" things matter, and are very easy to get right, which is all the more upsetting when they're screwed up.

In comparison, a miniscule little "skip scene" doesn't come close to lack of ambient music imo. Music is a very powerful and necessary part of games, shows and movies to set tone, atmosphere & mood. I haven't ever played ACR the 2nd time when there's no music (I start a new game) and I have mentioned it in the pinned feedback post and other posts emphasizing how we need more bg music in ACIII (for Boston & free roam - altho Frontier doesn't honestly need it).
I miss it but it isn't game breaking.

Matheny
12-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm completely satisfied with the response from the forum manager. As long as the team is aware of that request I'm happy with whatever they decide to do. Maybe they have a really good reason for it being there? I'm sure they've thought about it more than me. I hope they decide to change it.

I don't think asking about one problem takes away from another being fixed. I guess everyone should discuss each problem in its own thread and let the team decide how to deal with them.

Grandmaster_Z
12-04-2012, 08:35 PM
should have just put this in the Manual, or just tell you about it once during the first cut scene.
Remember in AC1 where they tell you at the very beginning, press any button during cut scene to change the viewing angle..only told us that at the very beginning.

Free_Hidings
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
GET THIS **** OFF MY ****ING SCREEN

What the flap

So god **** annoying, it was fine how it was.

Suffran
12-04-2012, 10:52 PM
The problem is that cutscenes are constant in this game, and a lot of people want to get engrossed in the story. This message is a hindrance to that, so they are upset. I fail to see how that constitutes "whining". In fact, most of the people I see complaining about it are the people who absolutely love the game and feel like this one small change is a glaring issue ruining an otherwise great experience. I'm extremely disappointed in the game, so you don't find me complaining about this blunder; I just shake my head and add it to a long list of personal disappointments.

This message is also not optional, it's forced onto the screen against your will. Their other mistake was changing this in a patch from the original state of the game. If you're going to change something in a game that's already been released to millions of people, you should have a good reason for it. For the life of me, I can't figure out one good reason for this change. It's just so mind-numbingly stupid, to be honest. Of all the bugs that needed to be addressed, this was something they spent their time changing for the first major patch after the day one patch, and that is baffling. Even Lego Lord of the Rings has more immersive cutscenes because they know not to show a "Press [button] to skip" message until you've pressed another button first.

That's so true my friend, I couldn't have revealed my thoughts any better! You really spoke right out of my soul, in every aspect. I don't understand people who can't accept the fact that a minor seeming issue can have a great negative impact to certain people. Obviously, they lack a lot of empathy to understand our angle...

But like you said, why was this feature even changed in the first place when so much more important things existed to fix. What was their inducement? Ironically, this "improvement" turned out to be the worst mistake they could've implemented with the patch. It properly destroys my whole experience with the game the more I play.

Right now, I'm in the city of New York on my first mission and I must admit that even though I strongly try to ignore this silly button, it's pure existence still narrows my overall enjoyment severely. Everytime I start playing, I lose my motivation instantly with the first appearance of a cutscene...why does it have to be this way?

This could've been THE game of my life. The game, that I've been waiting for since Assassin's Creed 1, no I correct myself, since Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time! I've been dreaming of such a game for years now and it totally depresses me that this masterpiece just gets ruined by such a mundane issue. These cutscenes were distinctively made with an huge amount of detail, diligence and effort. They simply do not deserve such an abasement!

And unfortunately, the most disturbing matter of fact in addition to that is the helplessness which the player gets confrontated with. I'm constantly thinking "Oh man, how ingenious and fabulous would it be, if I could turn this option off", but then I realize, that I can NOT. You know I could understand it if this issue appeared in some crappy mass production garbage but not in such a profound and deep game, it almost breaks my heart...

ProdiGurl
12-04-2012, 11:05 PM
That's so true my friend, I couldn't have revealed my thoughts any better! You really spoke right out of my soul, in every aspect. I don't understand people who can't accept the fact that a minor seeming issue can have a great negative impact to certain people. Obviously, they lack a lot of empathy to understand our angle...

And unfortunately, the most disturbing matter of fact in addition to that is the helplessness which the player gets confrontated with. I'm constantly thinking "Oh man, how ingenious and fabulous would it be, if I could turn this option off", but then I realize, that I can NOT. You know I could understand it if this issue appeared in some crappy mass production garbage but not in such a profound and deep game, it almost breaks my heart...

O.o
I don't lack empathy at all - I just have it for issues that are SERIOUS - like game-breaking things/bugs etc.
Honestly this is TINY TEXT in a corner. I can't believe you want me to feel like my soul is shattered at the suffering from such an assault.
??? What do you do in real life when something serious doesn't go your way?

There are more serious matters in this game and yes I realize little things add up - but sorry, I don't have empathy over a thing like this. I have plenty of it for other issues.
I don't even feel this passionately about the serious issues I find with it that I think are very impacting such as lack of music. I will live.

montagemik
12-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Empathy / speaking to your soul ??? - better reserved for things like Global disasters , starving countries , terrorist attacks on innocents .

Kinda pathetic when used in the context of - "O to skip" ...............Just think about it - really . It's right up there with breaking a nail . :nonchalance:

linxcross
12-05-2012, 12:52 AM
O.o
I don't lack empathy at all - I just have it for issues that are SERIOUS - like game-breaking things/bugs etc.
Honestly this is TINY TEXT in a corner. I can't believe you want me to feel like my soul is shattered at the suffering from such an assault.

There are more serious matters in this game and yes I realize little things add up - but sorry, I don't have empathy over a thing like this. I have plenty of it for other issues.
I don't even feel this passionately about the serious issues I find with it that I think are very impacting such as lack of music. I will live.
Like you said, there are worse issues in the game which brings the question why Ubisoft decided to "fix" this instead of solving other problems. Unlike bugs, the problem here is that the prompt was perfectly fine before and that it is a completely unnecessary change that adds nothing to the game. I know it's minor for you but and others but I don't go around telling people not to complain about other issues. If anything we should support one another too see if Ubi can listen to its costumers.

Wh00ster
12-05-2012, 02:39 AM
9 pages

montagemik
12-05-2012, 03:52 AM
9 pages

The Press O to skip thread reached 14 pages or higher i think . (apparently it matters)

VenomRitual
12-05-2012, 07:44 AM
it does matter. it's annoying and distracting along with the 1000 other bugs in the game that prevent trophies and make constraints difficult. going through the credits you can see a massive team of testers. they must have hired the most incompetent people to test the game.

ProdiGurl
12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Like you said, there are worse issues in the game which brings the question why Ubisoft decided to "fix" this instead of solving other problems. Unlike bugs, the problem here is that the prompt was perfectly fine before and that it is a completely unnecessary change that adds nothing to the game. I know it's minor for you but and others but I don't go around telling people not to complain about other issues. If anything we should support one another too see if Ubi can listen to its costumers.

I'm not a Dev - I would assume that this type of fix is able to be accomplished in a few keystrokes and doesn't interfere with any other coding they have that may affect other gameplay and take a long time with retesting to make sure their Fix didn't cause other new problems.
I used to create websites & w/ coding that's an issue esp. when you have multiple browsers to test the changes on. They render differently on different browsers.

So one fix may be simple & since it's done so fast, it gets done FIRST. Others take longer. That's my guess.

Empathy / speaking to your soul ??? - better reserved for things like Global disasters , starving countries , terrorist attacks on innocents .

Kinda pathetic when used in the context of - "O to skip" ...............Just think about it - really . It's right up there with breaking a nail . :nonchalance:

I know huh. I was floored when I read that. I was more put out that I was basically being accused of having no empathy for someone having a hangnail.
O.O
With the pain & suffering going on in the world & people like me in serious financial hardship, I have to laugh at this but then everyone comes from their own place in life. One day when crap hits the fan for each of us, they'll find that little text in the bottom right corner really wasn't that soul splitting.

montagemik
12-05-2012, 04:23 PM
it does matter. it's annoying and distracting along with the 1000 other bugs in the game that prevent trophies and make constraints difficult. going through the credits you can see a massive team of testers. they must have hired the most incompetent people to test the game.

It was ADDED with the 1.02 patch - Ubisoft don't have to tell you or anyone WHY it was added - Or change it because you WANT it changed.
(but you're entitled to stress all you like. Doesn't mean it matters)

Suffran
12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
O.o

I've done an apprenticeship as an Industrial Business Management Assistant for over three years now (in Germany, I'm German btw.), had a catastrophic childhood and grew up among a needy family. So I know what real trouble is. But since the virtual world is the only place I can flee into, from my pitful daily routine notabene, any solecism within a game weighs a fortiori.

I don't want any compassion from you, just appreciation. Why are you wasting your time and energy to question my point of view? It's just a complain-thread from an far away poor guy who wants to solve a problem of his. Why don't you let him.

And to be honest, I did not notice any of the "1000" bugs you guys mentioned. For me, the game is perfectly fine how it is, except the issue with the HUD and the b button. I didn't even notice the lack of music because I was so immerged by the ambient sounds in the forests and cities. I didn't miss any music at all so you can see, it's pretty subjective which issue is major and which not.

Therefore, please stop the "Are you serious? U're complaining about THIS while children starve in africa" posts, because people are suffering too, while you all are hanging around in a forum about a video game...think about that once.

Instead of pitching into each other, we (respectively the ones who are really bothered by this issue) should insist on fixing this problem by portraying how annoying it is to us. Anyone who wants to complain about something else, should try to switch the thread I think...

Gi1t
12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Sometimes the most annoying issues are the ones that would have been easiest to fix. XD

Still, look on the bright side, at least you CAN skip cutscenes. Speaking from experience I can say I find it a lot more annoying when you can't skip anything.

Iskander_Estel
12-09-2012, 02:22 AM
BUt, really when are we going to have a real answer from ubisoft about this?
Is it going to be fixed?
At least can they explain why did they put it there when it was perfect to begin with?

Pydro_Assassin
12-09-2012, 11:26 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You are complaining that just because there's that option, it ruins the game?! Shut up it isent even a big deal.

AssassinSteals
12-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Yes, this is a HUGE bother. I think that they should just remove this, as if it wasn't obvious enough when pressing any button or even moving the sticks would come up with the "Hold O/B to skip".

JamesSuresh
12-10-2012, 03:13 AM
You know initialy I did not notice it. But when i started playing the game from the beggining because my save file got deleted. So I skip scenes often and have suddenly noticed it on the side, it really is annoying.

linxcross
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
New patch is out and hold to skip has become optional. Just go to options, hud and turn off "control." Thank you Ubisoft for listening to us.

medavroog
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Please I beg you, bring a little patch that disables this issue soon or give us a function to disable it in the option menu by ourselves at least.

Well, I am happy that we can choose to skip the cut-scenes when we desired (such as during replays), and thus, I cannot agree with your statement nor can I see your point of view. However, to be fair, there indeed should be a feature for selection in the option menu for those who wish to disable that skip icon.

Solid-Shammy
12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Thank you Ubisoft, I take pride in knowing that it was me exclusively that shed light on this issue in my original Press O to Skip thread (much better thread than this one!) I can now have a cinematic experience. I WON!!! YES!!! UGHARHUHHHHGFHFHAigfebki brwoi bak fOAJ Vob jgoeufVKR BOJgN EBIAFPONV ojkAJ NCBoiNA
My father would be proud of me.

I eagerly await Ubisoft's next patch.
"hey guyz, we fix da problem with the last patch getting rid of the skip prompt when you had da control hud off! we r happy 2 fix this problem for u guyz :)"

Suffran
12-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Congratulations solid423, we have made it.

I hope that this thread had a little part in noticing the problem too allthough it isn't as nice as yours of course. :)

I'm happy that Ubisoft actually listens to the complains of their fans. Can someone answer my question, if the new pach disables that strange money count too, when you turn off the entire HUD in the menue or does it still appear on the left bottom of the screen? Thanks in advance.

Lexax123
12-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Yes, the money display is now associated with the mini-map, so if you disable the mini-map, it disables the money counter. That used to really annoy me too :)

Solid-Shammy
12-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Yes, the money display is now associated with the mini-map, so if you disable the mini-map, it disables the money counter. That used to really annoy me too :)

I have a lot of respect for Ubisoft fixing that, it didn't have too many complaints but I'm glad they picked up on it. I've always loved turning all my HUD off in every Assassin's Creed game, now I can finally do this in Assassin's Creed 3. I'm very happy with this patch.

GabeExcellence
12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
i noticed that the notification was always visible on the second patch but thought nothing of it...now on this patch you have the option to take it off but now if you didn't know what button to press or that you have to hold it down you'll still have to watch the cut scene lol...they should of just left it alone in the 1st place ala it not being visible and if you tried to skip the prompt appeared lol

Solid-Shammy
12-20-2012, 10:08 AM
i noticed that the notification was always visible on the second patch but thought nothing of it...now on this patch you have the option to take it off but now if you didn't know what button to press or that you have to hold it down you'll still have to watch the cut scene lol...they should of just left it alone in the 1st place ala it not being visible and if you tried to skip the prompt appeared lol

I agree it was perfect from the beginning, but this patch is still good enough.

tonerton
04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
I updated the patch last time but I didn't notice the new option. Thanks much for this, it's only now that I went back to this forum. I thought they still didn't fix it but I just needed to disable the Control hud option..Finally ubisoft ! finally! no more annoying press b to skip

tonerton
04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
I agree it was perfect from the beginning, but this patch is still good enough.

I updated the patch last time but I didn't notice the new option. Thanks much for this, it's only now that I went back to this forum. I thought they still didn't fix it but I just needed to disable the Control hud option..Finally ubisoft ! finally! no more annoying press b to skip

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
As this has been added in a patch I will close this now.