PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinion of the future of Assassin's Creed (DON'T READ IF HAVEN'T FINISHED AC3)

MattT242
11-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Hello, new user here, just wanted to post my opinion of future AC games here. Any way, now that the modern day story has finished, I was thinking that for the next set of games, they should do away with the modern day setting. It was alright, both AC1 and AC2 I was interested with it, but I started to get a bit bored with it in Brotherhood and Revelations. It had it's great moments in AC3, but not enough to make me want more games about it. Instead I believe that it should be purely set in the past. The Assassin's Creed series pulls off the historical settings and stories pretty well in my opinion. They could set them in different periods of time all over history. It could still have the Assassin-Templar war, but but in times like the Roman Empire and maybe even earlier, and it'd still fit in with the historical part of Assassin's Creed story, because both groups have been around for ages in AC timeline. Personally, I buy the games for the historical part of the game, the modern day part is just an extra. It's alright, but I wouldn't miss it. What do other people think about this?

montagemik
11-26-2012, 06:21 PM
The Modern day story is far from finished - It's just beginning to get interesting . You didn't pay enough attention to it it seems.

MattT242
11-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Nah, it's WAS interesting, now it's done. It had a good run, but I honestly think the historical stories are 10x better than modern day. They could be even better if all the story and gameplay was focused on the historical part completely.

pirate1802
11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm actually conflicted. I always felt the historical setting was where the real fun was, but NOW after you-know-what happened in the ending, for the first time I'm interested in the modern day setting. So I don't know whether i'd like an AC without a future section. i would have loved it pre-AC III, but not now. :|

EDIT: Exactly my thoughts :D

It's just beginning to get interesting .

MasterAssasin84
11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Hello, new user here, just wanted to post my opinion of future AC games here. Any way, now that the modern day story has finished, I was thinking that for the next set of games, they should do away with the modern day setting. It was alright, both AC1 and AC2 I was interested with it, but I started to get a bit bored with it in Brotherhood and Revelations. It had it's great moments in AC3, but not enough to make me want more games about it. Instead I believe that it should be purely set in the past. The Assassin's Creed series pulls off the historical settings and stories pretty well in my opinion. They could set them in different periods of time all over history. It could still have the Assassin-Templar war, but but in times like the Roman Empire and maybe even earlier, and it'd still fit in with the historical part of Assassin's Creed story, because both groups have been around for ages in AC timeline. Personally, I buy the games for the historical part of the game, the modern day part is just an extra. It's alright, but I wouldn't miss it. What do other people think about this?

But the whole concept of Assassins Creeds is exploring ones genetic memories of their ancestors , and thats what makes the game so clever because the developers can backwards and forwards in time to what ever point in History, i would say that Connor needs more character development so i would like to see more content or prehaps another game.

Maybe even William Miles in the Animus because the Assassins Creed Encyclopedia clearly states that the North Americans Assassins training camp is in Phillidelphia ( william trained desmond and lucy when they was teenagers in Phillidelphia ) and parts of Assassins creed 3 was set in Phillidelphia so it makes sense but the modern scenes are very relevent to the whole concept and story.

Take the modern day gameplay away then you would take the foundations of the whole concept away so i say bad idea.

also look at the previous games, Revelations for example Ezio gets a sneak preview as to what is to become of the world if the Assassins dont carry on fighting , the story is not finished and never will be.

MattT242
11-26-2012, 06:36 PM
It wasn't enough to keep me interested. I honestly only buy it for the historical parts, which are the best parts. They are amazing while the modern day story is sometimes alright but mostly meh. He had a couple of decent missions somewhat near the end of the game, I won't say what, but that's all I can really say about the modern day story.

twenty_glyphs
11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
For me, the interesting part of the story was always how the past dovetailed with the present. It's also the central premise for caring about experiencing memories from hundreds of years ago -- looking for information or items lost to history that is needed today. For me, the story and premise of the series was at its most interesting in Brotherhood. Desmond exploring a modern-day Monterrigioni after having experienced it as Ezio in AC2 was really interesting. It really gave me that feel of history, where I had a connection to that place through the previous game. Then when Desmond was exploring the Colosseum at the end of Brotherhood, I really felt their stories intertwining and connecting. It felt really special to me. Take that away and it's just another story, which is the direction the story seems to be going.

Since they've done a poor job with the present-day missions, I would be fine with a modern-day character that only does a little bit of free-running and exploring at times as bookends to the historical story. The Animus concept really constricts the gameplay they can do for the present-day missions, so I think they should just stop trying to make the modern-day protagonist an ultimate assassin.

MattT242
11-26-2012, 06:39 PM
But the whole concept of Assassins Creeds is exploring ones genetic memories of their ancestors , and thats what makes the game so clever because the developers can backwards and forwards in time to what ever point in History, i would say that Connor needs more character development so i would like to see more content or prehaps another game.

Maybe even William Miles in the Animus because the Assassins Creed Encyclopedia clearly states that the North Americans Assassins training camp is in Phillidelphia and parts of Assassins creed 3 was set in Phillidelphia so it makes sense but the modern scenes are very relevent to the whole concept and story.

Take the modern day gameplay away then you would take the foundations of the whole concept away so i say bad idea.

also look at the previous games, Revelations for example Ezio gets a sneak preview as to what is to become of the world if the Assassins dont carry on fighting , the story is not finished and never will be.

What i'm saying is getting rid of the modern day story, take away all the constraints of it and focus on historical Assassins and Templars purely. The modern day story was ok at first, but it's getting cheesy.

MattT242
11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
For me, the interesting part of the story was always how the past dovetailed with the present. It's also the central premise for caring about experiencing memories from hundreds of years ago -- looking for information or items lost to history that is needed today. For me, the story and premise of the series was at its most interesting in Brotherhood. Desmond exploring a modern-day Monterrigioni after having experienced it as Ezio in AC2 was really interesting. It really gave me that feel of history, where I had a connection to that place through the previous game. Then when Desmond was exploring the Colosseum at the end of Brotherhood, I really felt their stories intertwining and connecting. It felt really special to me. Take that away and it's just another story, which is the direction the story seems to be going.

I would rather the historical stories purely. Maybe Ubisoft should release modern day story as DLC to the people who want it after the historical part has been made to it's full and greatest extent first.

montagemik
11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
What i'm saying is getting rid of the modern day story, take away all the constraints of it and focus on historical Assassins and Templars purely. The modern day story was ok at first, but it's getting cheesy.

Sounds like you didn't fully understand the overall concept or story AC offers.
What you'd like is a hack n slash set in the past with assassins.

That's not what Assassin's Creed is about - The concept is far more intelligent & the story much bigger. Perhaps AC just isn't your preffered game type - But i strongly doubt it's concept will change.

MasterAssasin84
11-26-2012, 06:46 PM

I know what your saying but how are you going explore the Historical without the modern day subjects ? that would mean writing abstergo totaly out of the main plotb which Assassins Creed was built on.

Its the central context of the story modern day templars seeking an ancient artifacts left behind by those who came before us but the only way to get to these is to relive the memories of ones ancestor !! the modern day Aspect is pure Science fiction.

they game would be rather boring without extra constraints optional objectives secondly If they did a game purely on Assassins and Templars without the Modern day aspect defeats the whole object of Assassins Creed.

MattT242
11-26-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm saying f**k the modern day and ancestors and animus and all that stuff, and focus on solely Assassins and Templars in the past. Base the main story on their struggles of the war and artifacts being fought over.

montagemik
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm saying f**k the modern day and ancestors and animus and all that stuff, and focus on solely Assassins and Templars in the past. Base the main story on their struggles of the war and artifacts being fought over.

Drop me a line when that game appears won't ya , Be worth seeing how well it does . :rolleyes:

MasterAssasin84
11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Drop me a line when that game appears won't ya , Be worth seeing how well it does . :rolleyes:

so basically what he is saying is completely take a chainsaw to the Assassin Creed concept !

montagemik
11-26-2012, 10:18 PM
so basically what he is saying is completely take a chainsaw to the Assassin Creed concept !

That's what it sounds like to me , Good thing it won't be happening though.

MattT242
11-27-2012, 01:04 AM
The Assassin's Creed series would reach it's full potential if they did away with the modern day. The historical Assassin's and Templars are FAR more interesting. At least you actually get do do something in the historical part, unlike the modern day where **** all happens with the exception of a few occasions. For me, Assassin's Creed IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE about the history.

TrueAssassin77
11-27-2012, 01:26 AM
]The Assassin's Creed series would reach it's full potential if they did away with the modern day[/COLOR]. The historical Assassin's and Templars are FAR more interesting. At least you actually get do do something in the historical part, unlike the modern day where **** all happens with the exception of a few occasions. For me, Assassin's Creed IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE about the history.

thats what i was thinking... they need to make some spin-offs or something to test the waters though

AdrianJacek
11-27-2012, 07:53 AM
The Assassin's Creed series would reach it's full potential if they did away with the modern day. The historical Assassin's and Templars are FAR more interesting. At least you actually get do do something in the historical part, unlike the modern day where **** all happens with the exception of a few occasions. For me, Assassin's Creed IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE about the history.
Assassin's Creed is about reliving lives of ancestors.

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Talk about being subjective..

MattT242
11-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Assassin's Creed is about reliving lives of ancestors.

No, it used to be, now it's lame. There is no point in dragging out the modern day story any longer. It was alright for the first 2 games but it got boring after. I truly believe Assassin's Creed would do fine, and even better, without the modern day story.

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 02:31 PM
No, it used to be, now it's lame. There is no point in dragging out the modern day story any longer. It was alright for the first 2 games but it got boring after. I truly believe Assassin's Creed would do fine, and even better, without the modern day story.
Last time I checked, You were not the one who decides the direction the series takes. So I suggest posting in a more subjective sense...

MasterAssasin84
11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
MattT242 you need fully understand the concept of Assassins Creed to say that it used to be based ones genetic Memories is quite a blinkered eyed comment because last time i checked the Animus was pretty much an itegral part of each instalment ubi soft only decided to expand Desmonds story from AC2 and ACB was to give the player a better insight into the war between the Assassins and Templars.

To totaly rewrite this concept you might as well completely write a new game as it totaly defeats the object of Assassins Creed, i would suggest paying attention to the previous games as it will give you an idea as to why the modern assassins really matter.

Kaschra
11-27-2012, 05:47 PM
An Assassin's Creed without Modern Day parts? PLEASE NO.
For me, the connection between past and present is what makes the games so special, so interesting.
I would be dissapointed if they'd just cut that out.

MattT242
11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
MattT242 you need fully understand the concept of Assassins Creed to say that it used to be based ones genetic Memories is quite a blinkered eyed comment because last time i checked the Animus was pretty much an itegral part of each instalment ubi soft only decided to expand Desmonds story from AC2 and ACB was to give the player a better insight into the war between the Assassins and Templars.

To totaly rewrite this concept you might as well completely write a new game as it totaly defeats the object of Assassins Creed, i would suggest paying attention to the previous games as it will give you an idea as to why the modern assassins really matter.

I do fully understand the concept of Assassin's Creed, and i'm saying it needs to change. The modern day story had potential in the 1st and 2nd game, but it just didn't happen. Instead it turned out to be boring and uninteresting. Assassin's Creed 3 had it's good moments, but not enough to make me want more. Now the historical Assassin - Templar war, that's more interesting. The characters, the settings, the storytelling, it's absolutely AMAZING. Think about what it would be like if the writers completely devoted their story to the historical part, it would be even better. As I said in an earlier post, the creators should release the modern day story as DLC to the people who want it, and focus completely on the historical part beforehand.

pirate1802
11-29-2012, 03:59 PM
For me, the connection between past and present is what makes the games so special, so interesting.

Yeah. I remember in early 2010 when my friend first suggested me AC1. I had known about the game for a while, but going by the promo pics I had always though it was a historical game, with no modern part whatsoever. then when my friend told me it is actually a modern-day person reliving the life of his ancestor I was like :eek: :eek::eek: He described it as a sort of reverse-reincarnation. This single thought hooked me to AC and it still calls me. I agree with OP, that the historical part seems to be the driving force in AC, atleast it is so for me, but I don't consider the modern-day part disposable. It is the 2012 part that gives the story context, all the mystery, and its deep lore. I don't want to be robbed of it.

About the ending, I know a lot of fans don't like it, but it has only increased my curiosity in the modern-day part. Pre-AC3 ending I'd have agreed with OP: Cut out the modern-day part altogether. But now? Hell no. Now the modern-day plot just got a lot more interesting. Atleast from my PoV..

I think a 75-25 Ancestor/Present day ratio would be ideal for me.

montagemik
11-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah. I remember in early 2010 when my friend first suggested me AC1. I had known about the game for a while, but going by the promo pics I had always though it was a historical game, with no modern part whatsoever. then when my friend told me it is actually a modern-day person reliving the life of his ancestor I was like :eek: :eek::eek: He described it as a sort of reverse-reincarnation. This single thought hooked me to AC and it still calls me. I agree with OP, that the historical part seems to be the driving force in AC, atleast it is so for me, but I don't consider the modern-day part disposable. It is the 2012 part that gives the story context, all the mystery, and its deep lore. I don't want to be robbed of it.

About the ending, I know a lot of fans don't like it, but it has only increased my curiosity in the modern-day part. Pre-AC3 ending I'd have agreed with OP: Cut out the modern-day part altogether. But now? Hell no. Now the modern-day plot just got a lot more interesting. Atleast from my PoV..

I think a 75-25 Ancestor/Present day ratio would be ideal for me.

Assassin's Creed - Davinci code mixed with the Matrix ..............Historical facts & mysteries played out within an artificial digital world. would be my best , simplest analogy. :nonchalance:

No one half of this Story or concept could be successful without the other. But that's just my opinion.

Kaschra
11-29-2012, 07:48 PM

That would be the worst thing they could do - erasing the Modern Day storyline now, after Juno has been released to the world.
No, I want to kick her *** straight to the moon now.

DJJaines
11-29-2012, 11:02 PM
An Assassin's Creed without Modern Day parts? PLEASE NO.
I would be dissapointed if they'd just cut that out.

Word!