PDA

View Full Version : Dear Ubisoft: Please don't ruin Ratonhnhaké:ton's character in potential AC3.5

RatonhnhakeFan
11-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Assuming that there will be a sequel to AC3 with Ratonhnhaké:ton, one thing I'm very afraid of is that you (Ubisoft developers) will try cater to people who didn't like Ratonhnhaké:ton by turning him into an Ezio clone in AC3.5. There's a lot of people complaining how he doesn't have a sense of humor, how he's too naive/idealistic, how he's not the perfect Gary Stu womanizing Ezio. GREAT! Keep it this way. Don't try to "fix" him, he doesn't need it, don't try to earn points from the audience the cheap & easy way either. It's the audience that needs to accept other kinds of characters (like Altair & Ratonhnhaké:ton) and not demand the same charming, joke-cracking womanizer archetype over and over again.

And yes, there are some people who didn't like Ratonhnhaké:ton for other reasons than his lack of joke-cracking or naivety, but the majority of comments focus on that.

Will also add: If you're actually thinking about turning him into Ezio clone, then stop and don't. Make a game only with Haytham instead. This way people will get their favorite charming, funny, womanizing archetype with cool accent while the Ratonhnhaké:ton will preserved. As much as I would love another game with him, I would rather not have one than see his character changed just to please the audience that doesn't appreciate anything different.

Assassin_M
11-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Agreed so much...

Last thing I want is another Ezio...

TrueAssassin77
11-26-2012, 05:04 AM
wow. i was thinking the same stuff. was about to make a thread about this very thing

pirate1802
11-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Oh yeah. Keep Connor as he is, that is why we love him. Don't turn him into another Ezio. One thing I respect Ubisoft for, is all of the assassins have a distinct personality. Please don't ruin that. *puppy eyes*

Shad0wmancer1
11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
I think that people have a problem with Connor NOT because he doesn't have a womanizing personality...but because not only is the Creed completely absent from his life in any way, he also appears to have very little personality and/or emotion for the player to identify with.

Example: In sequence 10 he killed his best friend who he had spent almost every minute of his childhood with and there was no emotional reaction from him. Afterwards, he immediately returned without a word to help out the Patriots again, who were responsible for giving the order to have his people attacked and ultimately lead to the death of his best friend. Here, I think I was more emotional about Connor's best friend dying than he was - and that seems to be a personality problem with Connor.

With that said, he is very young at the end of the game, and I am very much hoping for an AC 3.5 to flesh out Connor's character more vividly. I very much hope they continue with Ratonhnhaketon in the next game rather than a female assassin.

Assassin_M
11-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I think that people have a problem with Connor NOT because he doesn't have a womanizing personality..
ALL the complaints are actually that..

"Boring" "Uncharacteristic" "Dull" "No humor"

Basically Ezio

InfectedNation
11-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I think that people have a problem with Connor NOT because he doesn't have a womanizing personality...but because not only is the Creed completely absent from his life in any way, he also appears to have very little personality and/or emotion for the player to identify with.

Example: In sequence 10 he killed his best friend who he had spent almost every minute of his childhood with and there was no emotional reaction from him. Afterwards, he immediately returned without a word to help out the Patriots again, who were responsible for giving the order to have his people attacked and ultimately lead to the death of his best friend. Here, I think I was more emotional about Connor's best friend dying than he was - and that seems to be a personality problem with Connor.

With that said, he is very young at the end of the game, and I am very much hoping for an AC 3.5 to flesh out Connor's character more vividly. I very much hope they continue with Ratonhnhaketon in the next game rather than a female assassin.

He would have been in shock, and he's also introverted - he holds these struggles and the pain that comes with them inside rather than letting it all out constantly.

TrueAssassin77
11-26-2012, 12:37 PM

whoa. i don't know what you're playing but i know that immediately after connor killed his best friend his personaility grew darker. he spoke even less,during the whole battle he always had a scowl on his face instead of that proud non-chalance face that i grew familiar with earlier in the game. i could tell in his body language that he was pissed off. he barely said anything at the beginning of that battle. he glared at EVERBODY. he was more prone to outburst after that his friends death as well. maybe you are only seeing what is being said... he isn't like ezio. hes not goin to SAY hes mad, than give some speech or something. but after that death, he practically radiated anger.

Will_Lucky
11-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Ubisoft...kill him young hand the torch to someone better.

Bullet747
11-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Assuming that there will be a sequel to AC3 with Ratonhnhaké:ton, one thing I'm very afraid of is that you (Ubisoft developers) will try cater to people who didn't like Ratonhnhaké:ton by turning him into an Ezio clone in AC3.5. There's a lot of people complaining how he doesn't have a sense of humor, how he's too naive/idealistic, how he's not the perfect Gary Stu womanizing Ezio. GREAT! Keep it this way. Don't try to "fix" him, he doesn't need it, don't try to earn points from the audience the cheap & easy way either. It's the audience that needs to accept other kinds of characters (like Altair & Ratonhnhaké:ton) and not demand the same charming, joke-cracking womanizer archetype over and over again.

And yes, there are some people who didn't like Ratonhnhaké:ton for other reasons than his lack of joke-cracking or naivety, but the majority of comments focus on that.

Will also add: If you're actually thinking about turning him into Ezio clone, then stop and don't. Make a game only with Haytham instead. This way people will get their favorite charming, funny, womanizing archetype with cool accent while the Ratonhnhaké:ton will preserved. As much as I would love another game with him, I would rather not have one than see his character changed just to please the audience that doesn't appreciate anything different. I agree. Connor's my favorite assassin by far. He's the most "wolf-like" of the assassins both in personality and physicality.

Apirka
11-26-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't even like Connor and I'd rather have another game with a... connorish Connor than one where he's turned into an Ezio clone. I'm no fan of inconsistent characterization, and imho, it wouldn't make him any more likeable or interesting.

I do think growing out of his naivety could be an interesting character arc, if done right -- not emulating another character, but as a logical consequence of his experiences.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't even like Connor and I'd rather have another game with a... connorish Connor than one where he's turned into an Ezio clone. I'm no fan of inconsistent characterization, and imho, it wouldn't make him any more likeable or interesting.

I do think growing out of his naivety could be an interesting character arc, if done right -- not emulating another character, but as a logical consequence of his experiences.
That depends on what we consider 'naive' about him. In the game, the characters call him naive because he wants everyone to be equal and free as soon as possible, not in turns. Should that change? Not to me. It's such a good value, why would anyone want him to grew out of it? If we're talking about not having the information that the colonists are racist (like when he doesn't understand why Achilles can't just go onto shopping spree), then I'm sure he already knows all of it by now, from his experience in the game, from his Homesteaders etc.

Pydro_Assassin
11-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Play the last two homestead missions... They show connor with real emotions..

Elegana
11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes, I like Connor. And I do hear that in Assassin's Creed: Forsaken, he learns about his dad and regrets his decision. (Although, I'm quite pissed that this is important information and instead of having it in the game, we have to buy a book. Come on, Ubisoft). But yes, I want Connor to be Connor. Though, I found it a bit surprising how he flirted with Dobby, promising to give her a chance when he's done with his war. Surprised in the neutral way, to clarify because we hardly see Connor interact with women, haha.

Apirka
11-26-2012, 06:39 PM
That depends on what we consider 'naive' about him. In the game, the characters call him naive because he wants everyone to be equal and free as soon as possible, not in turns. Should that change? Not to me. It's such a good value, why would anyone want him to grew out of it? If we're talking about not having the information that the colonists are racist (like when he doesn't understand why Achilles can't just go onto shopping spree), then I'm sure he already knows all of it by now, from his experience in the game, from his Homesteaders etc.

I think having understand the ways of the world a bit more -- yes, sometimes people lie, sometimes it's the best option you have available, and the best intentions aren't going to help you actually achieve that (I've nothing against idealism, though) -- could be nice, but I don't really have a strong opinion either way. I'm also not necessarily thinking that it'll happen, that it'd be done well if it did happen, or that any development in a potential sequel make me like him more, but that's okay. I just noticed you saying that they shouldn't change his naivety, and while I agree with your OP, I just thought I'd mention that I think it *could* be done in an interesting way. There are other ways to develop his character though, of course, and I'd be fine with that as well. I don't expect Ubisoft to cater to my tastes in characters and change an established character like Connor to fit them, and I certainly don't want them to.

Torvaldesq
11-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Connor is dull and naive. Not exactly the recipe for a great character. And what makes him naive is not "oh, he wants to see the slaves freed too right away." What makes him naive is that he comes to this belief that the patriots' victory means the safety of his people. You would expect an assassin to approach the revolution in a more questionable way, especially one with a native heritage. No taxation without representation is great, but it doesn't rise to the level of the fictional Assassin / Templar fight over freedom (where mental dominance by ancient technology is actually a goal). He has a line or two about his doubts over the revolution, though those doubts never seep into his relationships or his actions in any meaningful sense. Most of the tribes in the Iroquois confederacy chose the British. How much do we see of that issue? A brief mention by his friend in an optional conversation, where Connor in his normal, stale fashion basically just says, "Uh, wait it out and don't take up arms."

He found out George Washington gave the order to burn his village as a child (and thus caused the death of his mother). He finds out Washington has sent another raid that will hit his village. He kills his best friend. But in the end, you don't get much out of it from him. Connor remains dull, on the Patriot side of the fight, and seems more offended by the failure to execute Charles Lee than by Washington's actions when he finally gets to talk to Washington after all that.

The bottom line is this: Don't confuse people criticizing how badly Connor was handled with them saying, "Make him into Ezio." People like Ezio because Ezio was better handled and developed by the end of his first game. He's an example of writers approaching a character with more effort than they approached Connor, and that's why some people compare them. They're not saying we need a clone of Ezio, we've got an Ezio already. But Connor was poorly done. There are of course many ways to make a character cease being dull, unconnected and naive without him being like Ezio.

At this point, Connor should not have another game. I've said it elsewhere, but his greatest potential lied in this time period with that cast of characters. That potential was largely squandered. If he gets a cameo for an Assassin trained in the lead up to the civil war, that's fine.

TrueAssassin77
11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
you have no idea what a great character is. you have no idea what you are talking about.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-27-2012, 12:31 AM
The bottom line is this: Don't confuse people criticizing how badly Connor was handled with them saying, "Make him into Ezio." People like Ezio because Ezio was better handled and developed by the end of his first game. He's an example of writers approaching a character with more effort than they approached Connor, and that's why some people compare them. They're not saying we need a clone of Ezio, we've got an Ezio already. But Connor was poorly done. There are of course many ways to make a character cease being dull, unconnected and naive without him being like Ezio.

At this point, Connor should not have another game. I've said it elsewhere, but his greatest potential lied in this time period with that cast of characters. That potential was largely squandered. If he gets a cameo for an Assassin trained in the lead up to the civil war, that's fine.The bottom line is: people only discuss how cool Ezio is, his accent, womanizing, badassness etc. His character doesn't really get discussed and there isn't really much analysis on his motives or development. What mostly goes for him among the audience is the 'cool' factor, that's why he's primarily loved. For all the crap Desmond got throughout the franchise, people do discuss him. Altair too, especially in the context of his mentor and the Templar targets. And for all is said about Ratonhnhaké:ton, whether I agree with it or not, his character, motives, personality, development, what influences him, his actions get discussed heavily. That's what makes characters to me, not the superficial stuff like accents or sneaking into a girl's bedroom.

twenty_glyphs
11-27-2012, 12:34 AM
ALL the complaints are actually that..

"Boring" "Uncharacteristic" "Dull" "No humor"

Basically Ezio

Ezio was the opposite of the characteristics you listed, but so are most of the other great characters in fiction, and they're not Ezio clones. There are so many ways to give characters a personality, excitement, and humor without making them just like Ezio. Ezio's uniqueness is in the details of his life and personality. I highly doubt that people want the exact same character again, but we do want someone who fulfills the same basic roles that Ezio's character did. Connor just never feels like a character I can care about, which makes the entire story fail to resonate on any level with me. I don't feel like his character even truly feels, whether joy or anger. None of his emotions seem to come from real places, it just feels contrived. In short, Connor just doesn't feel human; he feels robotic.

Ezio had a way with ladies, but Connor was never even shown interacting with any sort of love interest. He could have been nervous and self-conscious around women, which would give him a personality, but he never interacts with anyone on that level. Having a sense of humor doesn't mean he has to be just like Ezio. His humor could be dry, or it could just revolve around things happening around him. He could find humor in the darkness around him somehow. Instead, he just scowls at everything and the game is devoid of any real light moments.

Even his naivety is handled poorly. I have no problem with him being naive, but a satisfying way to handle that would be to show us how that mattered. Either have his view vindicated by something in the story to satisfy him and us, or truly show him change and learn and grow from his experiences, which he never does.

Honestly, a lot of the issues with Connor might have been resolved with a better voice actor. Ezio's voice actor brought a lot of life and humanity to his character. Connor's voice actor is so dull and monotone. I understand wanting someone who was Native American, but surely there are better Native American actors out there somewhere? Then again, even Desmond, Shaun and Rebecca's voice acting was duller than past games, so maybe the voice director pulled a George Lucas on the actors and got wooden performances out of all of them.

I can't even say I hate Connor because he's just so dull and uninteresting that I feel nothing about him. If he's in another game, I certainly don't want him to turn into an Ezio clone. But there are ways they can take the character he is and flesh him out into a real person who the audience cares about. They can give him motivations that make sense and flesh them out through actual interactions with other characters. He can be made more interesting without being anything like Ezio, but making him an Ezio clone would be worse than keeping him as he is.

TrueAssassin77
11-27-2012, 12:40 AM
^all biased opinion. some even factually wrong

RatonhnhakeFan
11-27-2012, 12:42 AM
But there are ways they can take the character he is and flesh him out into a real person who the audience cares about. They can give him motivations that make sense and flesh them out through actual interactions with other characters. He can be made more interesting without being anything like Ezio, but making him an Ezio clone would be worse than keeping him as he is.Protecting his village and fighting against injustice doesn't make enough sense? :nonchalance: And you say "don't make him an Ezio clone" yet you give solutions like "girlfriend and humor". Why does a character HAVE to have a relationship or humor (of any kind) to be relatable? Aren't Ratonhnhaké:ton's motivation to fight against injustice, for freedom and equality relatable enough? Esp in this day & age in which we already have and still are achieving so much when it comes to human rights, freedom & equality?

winthro
11-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Ezio was the opposite of the characteristics you listed, but so are most of the other great characters in fiction, and they're not Ezio clones. There are so many ways to give characters a personality, excitement, and humor without making them just like Ezio. Ezio's uniqueness is in the details of his life and personality. I highly doubt that people want the exact same character again, but we do want someone who fulfills the same basic roles that Ezio's character did. Connor just never feels like a character I can care about, which makes the entire story fail to resonate on any level with me. I don't feel like his character even truly feels, whether joy or anger. None of his emotions seem to come from real places, it just feels contrived. In short, Connor just doesn't feel human; he feels robotic.

Ezio had a way with ladies, but Connor was never even shown interacting with any sort of love interest. He could have been nervous and self-conscious around women, which would give him a personality, but he never interacts with anyone on that level. Having a sense of humor doesn't mean he has to be just like Ezio. His humor could be dry, or it could just revolve around things happening around him. He could find humor in the darkness around him somehow. Instead, he just scowls at everything and the game is devoid of any real light moments.

Even his naivety is handled poorly. I have no problem with him being naive, but a satisfying way to handle that would be to show us how that mattered. Either have his view vindicated by something in the story to satisfy him and us, or truly show him change and learn and grow from his experiences, which he never does.

Honestly, a lot of the issues with Connor might have been resolved with a better voice actor. Ezio's voice actor brought a lot of life and humanity to his character. Connor's voice actor is so dull and monotone. I understand wanting someone who was Native American, but surely there are better Native American actors out there somewhere? Then again, even Desmond, Shaun and Rebecca's voice acting was duller than past games, so maybe the voice director pulled a George Lucas on the actors and got wooden performances out of all of them.

I can't even say I hate Connor because he's just so dull and uninteresting that I feel nothing about him. If he's in another game, I certainly don't want him to turn into an Ezio clone. But there are ways they can take the character he is and flesh him out into a real person who the audience cares about. They can give him motivations that make sense and flesh them out through actual interactions with other characters. He can be made more interesting without being anything like Ezio, but making him an Ezio clone would be worse than keeping him as he is.

I'm not sure if you played this part, but if you had Connor recruit Dobby Carter in north New York. Like other recruits you could talk with her, one conversation consisted of her mentioning "the lack of a spouse and promptly asked Connor of the reason behind it, he proceeded to explain that he couldn't afford the time to cater to a woman's needs but that he hoped to one day settle down and have a family." Right there Connor explains that his current goals are more important than a romantic relationship.

cmrggamer
11-27-2012, 01:44 AM
I would like another game with Connor because I feel like his character has a lot of potential, especially with everything he experienced, but there were some instances where I felt they could have developed his character more. I think another game would be a great opportunity to explore his character more.
I definitely don't want him to turn into an Ezio clone as well, and something that Ubi has done really well is making each assassin different and unique.

Torvaldesq
11-27-2012, 02:01 AM
The bottom line is: people only discuss how cool Ezio is, his accent, womanizing, badassness etc. His character doesn't really get discussed and there isn't really much analysis on his motives or development. What mostly goes for him among the audience is the 'cool' factor, that's why he's primarily loved. For all the crap Desmond got throughout the franchise, people do discuss him. Altair too, especially in the context of his mentor and the Templar targets. And for all is said about Ratonhnhaké:ton, whether I agree with it or not, his character, motives, personality, development, what influences him, his actions get discussed heavily. That's what makes characters to me, not the superficial stuff like accents or sneaking into a girl's bedroom.

Discussions about motives and personality can be a sign of a good and a bad character. Many times a developed character is well developed enough in plain view that discussion isn't that necessary, the character is just generally viewed as well done. An example of that (I won't be unfair and pull from a novel, I'll use another game) would be someone like Mordin Solus from Mass Effect 2 and 3. Personalities in that franchise tended to get very fleshed out from their conversations, there wasn't that much wonder about what was driving them, but the characterization was superior. (Obviously the ending of the overall story in ME was lackluster, but that's a separate criticism.)

As twenty_glyphs said, Connor is just robotic. Like you are playing a character without a personality. He's got a background with great fodder, but it never goes anywhere. I kept waiting for him to get interesting, for his relationships and conversations to show development and take his past fully into consideration. They never really did. His words and deeds felt very contrived. I was hoping that if Connor, as an Assassin, chose the Patriots that there would be a strong storytelling path that led him to that decision. That path felt absent. I was hoping that in dealing with his father, Connor would have a strong path that would explain why he believed the Templars were truly wrong. That never really happened either.

Ezio is not necessarily a "great" character. I can think of game characters that I was more impressed with in terms of character development. But he was a good one. That's not to say that I don't have criticisms of Ezio either. I felt that when Ezio spared Rodrigo Borgia's life, it came across as extremely contrived. (Obviously they couldn't kill him because historically his death came later, but they could have had a better reason for him surviving than Ezio just deciding to show mercy - which felt extremely foolish given the situation). Still, with Ezio, I felt like he reacted to trauma in a human way, like his goals lined up well with the motivations, and like he paid attention most of the time to the logical consequences of his actions (the sparing of Rodrigo Borgia the first game, of course, being the one sore point).

If Ubisoft wanted to do more with his character, I would hope it only does it in DLC. They can fix some of the problems he has with DLC. HIs character doesn't warrant another full game though. The next AC game really should pull from an original character in a different time period and/or different geographical location - the French Revolution would be a great location, though it's very close in time after the American Revolution).

TrueAssassin77
11-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Ezio had no seeable character devolpement untill ACR...

Connor has seeable character devolpement already.

Connr desreves a sequel more tha ezio ever did.

monster_rambo
11-27-2012, 02:54 AM
Ezio had no seeable character devolpement untill ACR...

Connor has seeable character devolpement already.

Connr desreves a sequel more tha ezio ever did.

I disagree with this statement. We see the change in Ezio's character after his family's execution, his assassination on Vieri and how his uncle tells him to pay respect to the dead, his discovery of the apple, letting go of revenge upon sparing Rodrigo's life, from immaturity and brash to someone that is wise, his relationship with Sophia, the change in his motivations, developing skills and traits to become leader and mentor of the brotherhood. Clearly we see his development early.

Connor, we do see his development and his internal conflict but he lacks the substance or I don't know something special that makes him interesting. Is not that he is serious, is just that he is really monotone, and only have this like one persolaity, always serious and angry. I don't know, not really interesting. A better word is he lacks complexity.

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 03:02 AM
he lacks complexity.
Wrong...

Complexity is not subjective. so you`re wrong..

Connor is complex...fact

TrueAssassin77
11-27-2012, 03:15 AM
@ monster rambo
i disagree with this statement. Connor has more complexity than most video game charcaters... by alot. and ezio by no means is complex, he is an arch-type that the devolpers managed to do something interesting with. All of you examples can easilty be explained away. Ezio's family death. yea he grew more serious and determine... but i guess having family die is different for Ezio than it is for connor /sarcasm. why does that mean more when it happened to ezio than it did to 5 year old connor? apparently ppl see what they wanna see. Assassinating vieri? no. that was ezio reverting back to immature ezio,not character devolpement. He said that way throughout the whole game save for the "# years later" which is not considered seeable devolpement. Spared rodrigo, because if he had killed him, the story will be historically innaccurate... he didn't devolpe because revenge is what drove him in brotherhood too... until he let "fate" decide.... cope out. he killed cesear no matter how you look at it. You never SEE him BECOME wise. that happens during the non-seeable parts of the ggame. and like i said ACR was the only character devolpemnt ezio ever truely got.

on and you clearly don't know character analysis if you think connor lacks complexity... or you are only seeing what you want to see

monster_rambo
11-27-2012, 03:19 AM
Wrong...

Complexity is not subjective. so you`re wrong..

Connor is complex...fact

He stood for morality and injustice. Connor saw the world in black and white. He is dull, monotone, and angry. The only time we see a conflict in his character is when he med Haythem and finding out the betrayal of his father. There isn't really a change in his voice or emotions when he interacts people. Really cold and stoic. Aside from being a womanizer and his accents, Ezio had a warmer side to him, he was more charming and occasional jokes but he was also serious when he need to be. Connor is just brash and does what he thinks need to be done. Other than his confliction with his father, there really isn't much left in him. Maybe we seen a bit more of his personality when he was a child or when he killed Kanetoko (which in my opinion could of had more emotions), but there really isn't any.

So no, stop just saying what you think is fact in 99% of your comments and back up what you are talking about for once.

monster_rambo
11-27-2012, 03:23 AM
@ monster rambo
i disagree with this statement. Connor has more complexity than most video game charcaters... by alot. and ezio by no means is complex, he is an arch-type that the devolpers managed to do something interesting with. All of you examples can easilty be explained away. Ezio's family death. yea he grew more serious and determine... but i guess having family die is different for Ezio than it is for connor /sarcasm. why does that mean more when it happened to ezio than it did to 5 year old connor? apparently ppl see what they wanna see. Assassinating vieri? no. that was ezio reverting back to immature ezio,not character devolpement. He said that way throughout the whole game save for the "# years later" which is not considered seeable devolpement. Spared rodrigo, because if he had killed him, the story will be historically innaccurate... he didn't devolpe because revenge is what drove him in brotherhood too... until he let "fate" decide.... cope out. he killed cesear no matter how you look at it. You never SEE him BECOME wise. that happens during the non-seeable parts of the ggame. and like i said ACR was the only character devolpemnt ezio ever truely got.

on and you clearly don't know character analysis if you think connor lacks complexity... or you are only seeing what you want to see

Honestly why do I even bother. He spared Rodrigo and this didn't led to his character development? Really? He said " Killing you won't bring my family back" "I am Done." Killing Vieri reverted back to immature Ezio? What?! He became mature in the process by paying his respects as his uncle says "show some respect.......do not become like vieri, you are not him". Seriously you don't know what you are talking about.

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 03:24 AM
@ monster rambo

Ezio went through 2 phases of transformation from AC II to Brotherhood. He was a Playboy cool dude at the start of AC II, then goes to an Angry, Irresponsible brat (His disrespect is a result of his anger), he reverts back to the Cool Playboy character throughout the game, albeit with an added "Assassin" flavor.

He finally goes through his final Development at the end of AC II and remains as such throughout ACB.

He takes his wise legend status everyone is talking about in ACR. He`s wiser, but is still the cold, charming, confident badass he always was..

I don't want to talk about Connor much...I already did..Big Post..all over tmblr :p

TrueAssassin77
11-27-2012, 03:24 AM
@rambo.
ok nevermind. you are a lost cause.
you don't even knowthe meaning of complexity

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 03:25 AM
He stood for morality and injustice. Connor saw the world in black and white. He is dull, monotone, and angry. The only time we see a conflict in his character is when he med Haythem and finding out the betrayal of his father. There isn't really a change in his voice or emotions when he interacts people. Really cold and stoic. Aside from being a womanizer and his accents, Ezio had a warmer side to him, he was more charming and occasional jokes but he was also serious when he need to be. Connor is just brash and does what he thinks need to be done. Other than his confliction with his father, there really isn't much left in him. Maybe we seen a bit more of his personality when he was a child or when he killed Kanetoko (which in my opinion could of had more emotions), but there really isn't any.

So no, stop just saying what you think is fact in 99% of your comments and back up what you are talking about for once.
As long as you keep comparing him Ezio, you`re wrong..and will remain so..

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 03:26 AM
Honestly why do I even bother. He spared Rodrigo and this didn't led to his character development? Really? He said " Killing you won't bring my family back" "I am Done." Killing Vieri reverted back to immature Ezio? What?! He became mature in the process by paying his respects as his uncle says "show some respect.......do not become like vieri, you are not him". Seriously you don't know what you are talking about.
Sure..go through killing about 12 guys...then get to the head of the snake and say "No, I`m done"

Who`s more devoted to the Assassins...I wonder

No one seems to question Ezio`s actions. Him sparing Rodrigo was what caused the entirety of ACB (Disregarding Historical accuracy)

Will_Lucky
11-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Honestly I don't bother comparing the main characters, they're all unique individuals. Just because I got on better with the design of one doesn't mean the others are rubbish (For the record loved Altair in AC1, Ezio in AC2/R, Connor has yet to grow on me if at all I'm not sure where he can go but I'm not paid to write this stuff so there we go) each are a unique individual on there own merit judge them by their actions and don't necessarily compare them to others.

monster_rambo
11-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Sure..go through killing about 12 guys...then get to the head of the snake and say "No, I`m done"

Who`s more devoted to the Assassins...I wonder

How is he not devoted to the Assassins? He realized that killing Rodrigo won't solve anything and giving the power back to the people is equally important. Besides Rodrigo was already weakened by the end of Assassin's Creed 2 when he realized he wasn't the prophet. Besides I guess they wanted to be somewhat historically accurate and they wanted to show Ezio to move on from his revenge mentality and there is a bigger picture out there. He also happened to restore the assassin's order and strengthened it from all fronts.

But I am wrong right because everything you say is a "FACT" and everyone else disagreeing you is "wrong". And is wrong to compare two characters from the same series. Yeah, give me a break.

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 03:44 AM
How is he not devoted to the Assassins? He realized that killing Rodrigo won't solve anything and giving the power back to the people is equally important. Besides Rodrigo was already weakened by the end of Assassin's Creed 2 when he realized he wasn't the prophet. Besides I guess they wanted to be somewhat historically accurate and they wanted to show Ezio to move on from his revenge mentality and there is a bigger picture out there. He also happened to restore the assassin's order and strengthened it from all fronts.

But I am wrong right because everything you say is a "FACT" and everyone else disagreeing you is "wrong". And is wrong to compare two characters from the same series. Yeah, give me a break.
Just look at what happened when Rodrigo died...He was just as weak at the end of AC II as he was when he died...Cesare`s powers crumbled, his allies abandoned him and he was arrested. Sparing Rodrigo was a mistake on Ezio`s behalf. he was not fighting for the Order till the very end. He said it himself "I thought I was beyond this, but I`m not" then spares him, because that wont bring his family back..What`s he fighting for ? His Family ? What about those other 12 guys he killed ?? Sparing Rodrigo was a mistake on all fronts..So you`re wrong.

Also, keep deluding yourself...Again, so long as you remain comparing Connor to Ezio, you ARE and WILL be wrong...hell you contradicted yourself in the same sentence in a previous post..You said I do not want an Ezio clone, but proceed to make comparisons to Ezio on how he was more charming and not as angry as Connor..

It is wrong. Not my opinion..Connor is Complex. You may find him dull and that`s very fine.Actually that`s what the entire thread is built upon. It`s for people complaining about Connor, such as yourself..I have yet to see a complaint that does not include "Boring" "Dull" "uncharismatic" and those complaints are very fine, but they`re not fact..

The wrong now is you claiming that Connor is not complex...He is

monster_rambo
11-27-2012, 03:52 AM
Just look at what happened when Rodrigo died...He was just as weak at the end of AC II as he was when he died...Cesare`s powers crumbled, his allies abandoned him and he was arrested. Sparing Rodrigo was a mistake on Ezio`s behalf. he was not fighting for the Order till the very end. He said it himself "I thought I was beyond this, but I`m not" then spares him, because that wont bring his family back..What`s he fighting for ? His Family ? What about those other 12 guys he killed ?? Sparing Rodrigo was a mistake on all fronts..So you`re wrong.

Also, keep deluding yourself...Again, so long as you remain comparing Connor to Ezio, you ARE and WILL be wrong...hell you contradicted yourself in the same sentence in a previous post..You said I do not want an Ezio clone, but proceed to make comparisons to Ezio on how he was more charming and not as angry as Connor..

It is wrong. Not my opinion..Connor is Complex. You may find him dull and that`s very fine.Actually that`s what the entire thread is built upon. It`s for people complaining about Connor, such as yourself..I have yet to see a complaint that does not include "Boring" "Dull" "uncharismatic" and those complaints are very fine, but they`re not fact..

The wrong now is you claiming that Connor is not complex...He is

No, I said I do not want 15 games of Ezio rehash because that gets boring and I never said I don't want an Ezio clone but you are right I don't want an Ezio clone. But just from AC2 (without ACB or ACR) standalone itself, Ezio is the more interesting character out of the two. Connor's character is seriously one dimensional and he barely changes and the only real conflict we see in him is with his father and his allegiances and all of which he reacts angrily. I don't hate Connor because his character simply "plays" the part in the story but I am just saying he is nowhere as interesting. Kind of reminds me Altair from AC1 (not from ACR).

Will_Lucky
11-27-2012, 03:54 AM
So hard to explain, I always felt like Ezio had a complex yet simple maturity growth throughout his life. He grows not when his family killed but when Mario convinces him to step up and fight the Templars remember Ezio was dead set on leaving for Spain with his family to avoid getting killed he had no interest in hunting anyone down other than Uberto Alberti who he singled out. He went ahead and purged the Templars in Italy stopping at Rodrigo, I do often think had he done it for his family its an odd one despite his comments because he never sought to do it in the first place til Mario convinced him otherwise. I think its partially a combination of his family wouldn't come back and well after 23 solid years at it with no break it really gets to a person, he was fully intent to retiring. Had Cesare not been the complete idiot he was in attacking the Villa Auditore who knows what would have happened.

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Connor's character is seriously one dimensional
And this is why you and I continue to argue..

THAT is factually wrong...Say what you want to say. Connor is not one dimensional..

Hate him, call him dull, call him boring, call him uncharismatic, because he is indeed ALL of these things, but he`s definitely not One dimensional..

VvM3NT4LxK1DvV
11-27-2012, 04:04 AM
I think ubisoft did great on the game the only thing is I want ubisoft to do is to make rancid kendo;:!/$: whatever the guys name is to have optional hair because every person I have talked to on ac3 they said his hair is kinda stupid witch I can understand...... But I wish they fix it so that you can go back to the long hair cuz it's awzome

TrueAssassin77
11-27-2012, 04:09 AM
monster rambo... you are seriously being blind here.

heres a few facts for you:

dull does not one dimensional.
uncharismatic does not mean one dimensional
monotone does not equal one dimensional
ezio does not mean complex
ezio does not mean jesus
Connor is more complex than Ezio

all facts.

monster_rambo
11-27-2012, 04:11 AM
monster rambo... you are seriously being blind here.

heres a few facts for you:

dull does not one dimensional.
uncharismatic does not mean one dimensional
monotone does not equal one dimensional
ezio does not mean complex
ezio does not mean jesus
Connor is more complex than Ezio

all facts.

Really cool story. That is really good to know. Thanks for coming down your high horse and enlightening everyone.

monster_rambo
11-27-2012, 04:12 AM
So hard to explain, I always felt like Ezio had a complex yet simple maturity growth throughout his life. He grows not when his family killed but when Mario convinces him to step up and fight the Templars remember Ezio was dead set on leaving for Spain with his family to avoid getting killed he had no interest in hunting anyone down other than Uberto Alberti who he singled out. He went ahead and purged the Templars in Italy stopping at Rodrigo, I do often think had he done it for his family its an odd one despite his comments because he never sought to do it in the first place til Mario convinced him otherwise. I think its partially a combination of his family wouldn't come back and well after 23 solid years at it with no break it really gets to a person, he was fully intent to retiring. Had Cesare not been the complete idiot he was in attacking the Villa Auditore who knows what would have happened.

Yes someone who actually understands.

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Yes someone who actually understands.
What he said are all truths..

It`s not that he understands better than all of us. his post just proved how much of a mistake sparing Rodrigo was for Ezio`s life..

And another thread derailed into a talk about how godly Ezio is....Damm it

monster_rambo
11-27-2012, 04:23 AM
What he said are all truths..

It`s not that he understands better than all of us. his post just proved how much of a mistake sparing Rodrigo was for Ezio`s life..

And another thread derailed into a talk about how godly Ezio is....Damm it

Seriously, is not that we really hate Connor. Connor "fits" the character and the storyline but in comparison to Ezio, and it is impossible not to compare it with him because he was the previous character in the series, he is nowhere near as interesting.

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 04:29 AM
Seriously, is not that we really hate Connor. Connor "fits" the character and the storyline but in comparison to Ezio, and it is impossible not to compare it with him because he was the previous character in the series, he is nowhere near as interesting.
Like I said..

I`m done here..

I support OP`s call to not go for the popular opinion direction..

I want development, of course, but keep his Idealistic beliefs that the world can be good, that simply telling someone he`s innocent will get him out of jail, that saying the truth is the correct thing to do, that being honest is a pro not a con..

Keep the cores of Connor`s Character. I`m saying it now, if they decide to go for the "Charismatic cool guy" I`m not buying that game. Not buying it used either..

I said it before, Connor is a genius of a Character..

TrueAssassin77
11-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Connor for the win

twenty_glyphs
11-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Protecting his village and fighting against injustice doesn't make enough sense? :nonchalance: And you say "don't make him an Ezio clone" yet you give solutions like "girlfriend and humor". Why does a character HAVE to have a relationship or humor (of any kind) to be relatable? Aren't Ratonhnhaké:ton's motivation to fight against injustice, for freedom and equality relatable enough? Esp in this day & age in which we already have and still are achieving so much when it comes to human rights, freedom & equality?

I saw very little of Connor protecting his village in the game, so that never even felt like a story point to me. Sequence 6 was about the only time I thought Connor was fighting for his village, and even then it felt like a distraction from his Assassin duty, whatever that was. If not for the developers constantly saying that Connor fights against injustice, I wouldn't know that was his motivation from the game itself. The story just doesn't show us much behind Connor. Maybe you can read more into him, but I didn't. I kept waiting for him to get interesting in some way, but it never happened for me. And yes, I played every single Homestead mission as well as recruiting all the Assassins and all the naval missions.

I never said Connor had to have a love interest or humor to be relatable, they were just one example of things that might have helped. Altaďr had neither, but I still cared more about him and what was going to happen than I did for Connor. His arrogance and resentment felt real. His conversations throughout AC1 felt meaningful and like he had a purpose, and was always processing events and trying to learn.

I just never understood what story they were trying to tell. With Altaďr and Ezio, I got them right away. With AC3, I didn't even meet the main character until one-fourth of the way through and then never understood why he was doing what he was doing. A spirit told him to leave and join the Assassins, so he just does it. He joins, and Achilles says you'll have to kill these five men. Okay, so I'm thinking these guys destroyed Connor's village and he thinks the same. Connor is adamant about not helping the Patriots, then all of a sudden he's fighting for their cause for no discernible reason, going to great lengths to protect Washington and retrieve stolen supplies. Along the way, he meets his dad and then all of a sudden thinks working with him will be a good idea. That's when the story really lost me. Every time I thought I knew Connor, he made some new random decision that went against his character as shown so far with no reason to back it up. At no point did I ever feel that way about Altaďr, Ezio, or almost any other fictional protagonist. In the end, I guess we find out that the five Templars were actually trying to save Connor's village and Washington was destroying it, but Connor doesn't react much to that and continues to pursue Lee. Why? If the story had made an actual point about the Templar ideology of control not being worth saving Connor's village, and that true freedom was more important to Connor, it would have made some sense.

Altaďr wasn't the best character, but I understood him and his anger. He changed over the story, and so he felt real. His decisions made sense to me, even if they weren't good ones. Ezio felt like a real person. He grew a little, matured a little, but always stayed the same core person, just like real people. His decision to let Rodrigo live felt stupid at the time, but I understood where it was coming from right away. Connor just feels contrived to me, and is simply drug along by the story and makes decisions to support the story instead of because of who he is.

I think the concept behind Connor as explained during the prerelease marketing was great. Fighting for true freedom as the Assassins do, being of two cultures, seeking to save his village, having a Templar father... It's all great setup. But the story itself barely showed me any of that. If the presentation of the story had matched the way the developers described Connor and he had just a little bit of personality, I most likely would have liked him.

cmrggamer
11-27-2012, 05:43 AM
I saw very little of Connor protecting his village in the game, so that never even felt like a story point to me. Sequence 6 was about the only time I thought Connor was fighting for his village, and even then it felt like a distraction from his Assassin duty, whatever that was. If not for the developers constantly saying that Connor fights against injustice, I wouldn't know that was his motivation from the game itself. The story just doesn't show us much behind Connor. Maybe you can read more into him, but I didn't. I kept waiting for him to get interesting in some way, but it never happened for me. And yes, I played every single Homestead mission as well as recruiting all the Assassins and all the naval missions.

I just never understood what story they were trying to tell.....

The more I reflect on the game, the more I feel like time and energy was spent on the gameplay (which I really enjoyed--I love the freerunning in trees, the combat system, variety in side missions) and that the story kind of took a hit. Perhaps it's because they had a lot more cutscenes explaining or at least showing more of the characters' personalities and plot, and they might have cut them out because the game was so large, but I think it made the overall story just feel a bit rushed and full of holes.
I guess I felt the same, not really knowing for sure what exactly Connor was fighting for the whole time. I knew, because they would remind us through dialogue, but sometimes it felt a little forced. I did a lot of missions out of order, so when I return home for break I was going to play through again to see if it would clear everything up, but I'm starting to think now that a lot was just cut and not explained as well as it could have been--which could have been for multiple reasons.
I absolutely loved the concept behind Connor that they advertised, and I think it is this reason that I want to keep playing and see if he grows on me and the reason I would like another game with him so I can see if he will take his place next to Altair and Ezio.

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
11-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Connor for the win

Seriously, stop the spam. Actually contribute something to the discussion.

I think another game with Connor is needed, but the story needs to fit Connor not Connor fit the story, which is what happened in AC3. Connor was naive about what the Templars were after, about who was really responsible for attacking his village, about the Templar loyalties, about his people and their loyalties, and about the Assassin Brotherhood. It's not his fight for freedom and justice were naive. That is noble. But Connor was naive in thinking the world was black and white, that the colonists were all for freedom for all, and that the British were all about tyranny and suppressing freedom. And therefore he assumed that the Templars are automatically for the British (in part because Achilles wrongly makes the statement that the Templars support the British) and that the Colonists will accept the Assassins. He remains naive about this despite several characters showing him otherwise, mainly Samuel Adams in his willingness to lie about Lexington and Concord and bribing printers to print false propaganda, Johnson explaining to Connor that the colonists don't care for the Iroquois, Pitcairn explaining to Connor the real purpose of his wanting to target Adams, Haytham Kenway in telling him who the Templars really support and what they really want, Washington/Haytham in revealing who really burned his village, Kanen'tó:kon by showing Connor that his people supported the British and why they supported the British. After all of this, instead of Connor recognizing that their fight is against those who would stifle peace, focuses on fighting Templars because they are Templars. He continues to absolutely support the colonists, even though he is temporarily upset with Washington (temporary because after the main story is done you can play a game with him as if nothing ever happened). His response to all this is to continue to act as if the world and their conflict is black and white. Yeah, he showed some emotion throughout the story, but for the most part that emotion was anger, mainly directed at Charles Lee, which is why another game would be good because then Connor could move beyond the trappings of AC3, which is mainly focused on Connor avenging his people and his mother (yes, as this is his primary motivation for killing Charles Lee).

No, Connor shouldn't be like Ezio or Haytham or Altair. But he should stop being bitter and moody and generally angry. And he should treat the world and the Assassin/Templar conflict as if it is gray and not black and white. Because while the devs wanted to emphasize the grayness of the conflict, the Assassins in the game act as though it isn't. Which is why the French Revolution would be good - a situation in which an Assassin-led government goes too far (Robespierre, a revolutionary, should be an Assassin, kinda like a Machievelli, the Reign of Terror an attempt to flush out Templar counterrevolutionaries).

Assassin_M
11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Seriously, stop the spam. Actually contribute something to the discussion.

I think another game with Connor is needed, but the story needs to fit Connor not Connor fit the story, which is what happened in AC3. Connor was naive about what the Templars were after, about who was really responsible for attacking his village, about the Templar loyalties, about his people and their loyalties, and about the Assassin Brotherhood. It's not his fight for freedom and justice were naive. That is noble. But Connor was naive in thinking the world was black and white, that the colonists were all for freedom for all, and that the British were all about tyranny and suppressing freedom. And therefore he assumed that the Templars are automatically for the British (in part because Achilles wrongly makes the statement that the Templars support the British) and that the Colonists will accept the Assassins. He remains naive about this despite several characters showing him otherwise, mainly Samuel Adams in his willingness to lie about Lexington and Concord and bribing printers to print false propaganda, Johnson explaining to Connor that the colonists don't care for the Iroquois, Pitcairn explaining to Connor the real purpose of his wanting to target Adams, Haytham Kenway in telling him who the Templars really support and what they really want, Washington/Haytham in revealing who really burned his village, Kanen'tó:kon by showing Connor that his people supported the British and why they supported the British. After all of this, instead of Connor recognizing that their fight is against those who would stifle peace, focuses on fighting Templars because they are Templars. He continues to absolutely support the colonists, even though he is temporarily upset with Washington (temporary because after the main story is done you can play a game with him as if nothing ever happened). His response to all this is to continue to act as if the world and their conflict is black and white. Yeah, he showed some emotion throughout the story, but for the most part that emotion was anger, mainly directed at Charles Lee, which is why another game would be good because then Connor could move beyond the trappings of AC3, which is mainly focused on Connor avenging his people and his mother (yes, as this is his primary motivation for killing Charles Lee).

No, Connor shouldn't be like Ezio or Haytham or Altair. But he should stop being bitter and moody and generally angry. And he should treat the world and the Assassin/Templar conflict as if it is gray and not black and white. Because while the devs wanted to emphasize the grayness of the conflict, the Assassins in the game act as though it isn't. Which is why the French Revolution would be good - a situation in which an Assassin-led government goes too far (Robespierre, a revolutionary, should be an Assassin, kinda like a Machievelli, the Reign of Terror an attempt to flush out Templar counterrevolutionaries).
How the hell would an Assassin see the conflict grey ?? What you`re proposing does not make sense. It`s not an Evolution of Character. Altair believed in the grayness of their MORALS, not the entire conflict and that took him many years.

No one side can look at the conflict as a Gray zone. It`s not right, that`s simply awkward story telling. It`s like saying that "I know we`re both bad, but i`m going with that" or "I know we`re both good, but i`m still sticking here" It does not work.

A character must believe in what he does and that it is the right thing. that`s how a conflict is created. imagine Church`s death speech "Reflect on that before insisting you`re work alone benefits the greater good" then Connor replies by "Yeah Yeah I know" instead of a look of doubt. It`s not compelling story telling at all..

The Conflict IS Connor`s actions. his beliefs that what he DOES is the right thing and that the Templars are wrong. It`s a pillar of the Assassin Cause. Yes they admit their Ironies, but not the grayness of the conflict..

LilyasAvalon
11-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Number 1, I take offense to Ezio being called a 'Gary Stu', he had his faults just like any other man, and I loved him.

But yes, I do agree, I love Connor and I ADORE his character (I personally don't understand how people can dislike him to be honest), and I do think that should Connor get a 3.5 or portable game, his character SHOULD be the same or at least similar (I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost a bit of his trust and naiveity after what happened in AC3). It would be insulting to all the work and all the people that worked on his character to change him to 'appeal' to a bloody CoD crowd.

Aries_Dragon
12-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Connor's character will be hardened in the course of time. Altair still remains my favorite, but Connor has a great potential also. I loved him the way he was, full of conviction, yet selfless and ready to reconsider. Strong, sincere and brave. A bit naive though, but that was not a flaw. It fitted him perfectly. So yeah, Ubisoft, please dont do whatever the author of this topic said. Connor was absolutely fantastic. FAN-TAS-TIC. Yep. An understandable example to many. Altair was far too complicated for many people to understand.

VitaminsXYZ
12-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Guys, as much as we may not agree with each other, they still are all opinions. Let's not start presenting them as facts. lol As for me, I really liked Connor, but that doesn't mean I have to hate Ezio. I love both. (And you, too Altair.)

For people who dislike Connor, I can kinda see where you're coming from. It took a while for me to warm up to him, and Connor doesn't speak much either, so it's harder to pinpoint what exactly he's thinking, unlike Ezio who was definitely a lot more open with his thoughts. But surely you can also see why some of us like him as well? I'd go into more detail, but I'd basically just be repeating what others have already said. And I'm sure we're all aware that Ezio had three games to develop, whereas Connor's only had 7 or 8-ish sequences. Much, much less time to flesh out his character.

Ezio was pretty monotone at times, too, except no one ever noticed because the accent hides it.

Seriously though. I was repeating some of Connor's "flatter" lines in my head with Ezio's voice. Same tone, just with an accent. Something about the foreign accents that just makes it sound more lively, especially Italian, with its more "up and down" intonations.

I'm basically just saying that I really can't fault Noah Watts for that. It was also mentioned somewhere that they wanted to give Connor an accent, too, but they didn't know how to pull it off realistically without making him sound stereotypical.