PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel misled by Independence Day game trailer? (Spoilers)

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Although I enjoyed the game I felt like the American trailers played around Independence Day sort of misrepresent the story of the game. They make it out to seem like the "Assassin" is playing a central role in the Revolution and is a hero figure, whereas his participation in the Revolution comes more as a necessity for other causes than any actual care for the plight of the colonists. He does make a few sympathetic statements regarding the Revolution but at the end of the day he still slaughters American guards at will (whereas killing farm animals will of course get you desynchronized :rolleyes:). Throw on top of that there is also a very negative statement about the founding fathers in one of the "current day" e-mails for anyone who caught that.

I feel that it was somewhat dishonest for them to make the game out to be about something it really was not because they just thought it would be a good selling point in America.

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 02:58 AM
Although I enjoyed the game I felt like the American trailers played around Independence Day sort of misrepresent the story of the game. They make it out to seem like the "Assassin" is playing a central role in the Revolution and is a hero figure, whereas his participation in the Revolution comes more as a necessity for other causes than any actual care for the plight of the colonists. He does make a few sympathetic statements regarding the Revolution but at the end of the day he still slaughters American guards at will (whereas killing farm animals will of course get you desynchronized :rolleyes:). Throw on top of that there is also a very negative statement about the founding fathers in one of the "current day" e-mails for anyone who caught that.

I feel that it was somewhat dishonest for them to make the game out to be about something it really was not because they just thought it would be a good selling point in America.
As long as I get to kill some templars, I'm happy

TrueAssassin77
11-25-2012, 02:59 AM
as long as connor gets another game without haytham shoving his rear in in im happy

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 03:00 AM
No No You`re wrong..This whole thread is wrong and the entire Idea is wrong..

You`re not misled..you`re wrong..

AC never took sides..If you thought that for a moment then it`s your fault..

MY GOD WHAT A FANBASE

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 03:02 AM
No No You`re wrong..This whole thread is wrong and the entire Idea is wrong..

You`re not misled..you`re wrong..

AC never took sides..If you thought that for a moment then it`s your fault..

MY GOD WHAT A FANBASE
XD, oh M you always crack me up, but my point stands, as long as I get to kill me some templars im happy :D

ace3001
11-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Not at all. You're the one who expected something that wasn't supposed to be. Connor wasn't a patriot. Never was meant to be. He was an Assassin. In fact, I still feel the balance is not enough. He behaved more like a patriot than an Assassin at times. What happened to "the patriots can fight their own war, I'm just here for the Templar", Ubisoft? Now we have Connor liberating redcoat forts for patriots.

And those ungrateful bastards actually came in and attacked me while I was liberating one. (How did they even get in??)

http://i49.tinypic.com/e7jy9u.jpg

kudos17
11-25-2012, 03:18 AM

Ugh, I KNEW this would happen when we all saw Ubisoft's marketing of AC3. People getting the wrong idea of what the game was about.

Anyway, yes the marketing was fairly "dishonest" in the sense that it portrayed the game in the wrong light. But Assassin's Creed was never about taking sides, or patriotism. If you've played any of the previous games, you should've known that. If not, I feel for you.

ZephyrStrife
11-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Connor didn't really have a side. He "helped" the patriots because it provided a means to gain intel on the Templars and protected his village. H

Personally, he blathers on and on about freedom too much despite his actions showing that he doesn't really care. It was a means to an end. -___-

Enemyinsurgent
11-25-2012, 03:27 AM
yes they definately did false advertising. they also used computer graphics and showed missions that are not actually in the game. they wanted people to think this was something amazing when its not. they also made the founding fathers look like fools. they made washington look like a hypocritical negative fool, john adams just used people for his own purposes, paul revere was too lazy to do his own work, ben franklin a womanizer.

Enemyinsurgent
11-25-2012, 03:29 AM
also, the templars seemed to be more charasmatic and had more conviction than the ones that helped make america independent.

ZephyrStrife
11-25-2012, 03:30 AM
yes they definately did false advertising. they also used computer graphics and showed missions that are not actually in the game. they wanted people to think this was something amazing when its not. they also made the founding fathers look like fools. they made washington look like a hypocritical negative fool, john adams just used people for his own purposes, paul revere was too lazy to do his own work, ben franklin a womanizer.

Go learn how the founding fathers really were....Ubisoft doesn't dress it up. They were like that.

montagemik
11-25-2012, 03:32 AM
It's Pure coincidence the default Assassin outfit is now in patriot colours - not the standard Red & white . Nothing more . (it's called marketing ) ;)

ace3001
yes they definately did false advertising. they also used computer graphics and showed missions that are not actually in the game. they wanted people to think this was something amazing when its not. they also made the founding fathers look like fools. they made washington look like a hypocritical negative fool, john adams just used people for his own purposes, paul revere was too lazy to do his own work, ben franklin a womanizer.It's called "fiction" for a reason. If you got the game expecting a native American to be a patriot, then it shows you don't know your own history, despite talking about not making the founders into some uber godly characters. And AC3 is amazing, make no mistake.

DemonLord4lf

Ben Franklin was a womanizer... its historical fact...

ace3001
11-25-2012, 03:33 AM
also, the templars seemed to be more charasmatic and had more conviction than the ones that helped make america independent.Templars have no side, nor do Assassins. They just pick whichever side that has goals closest to their own. Is this your first Assassin's Creed game, perhaps?

Jexx21
11-25-2012, 03:33 AM
It's Pure coincidence the default Assassin outfit is now in patriot colours - not the standard Red & white . Nothing more . (it's called marketing ) ;)

Actually, I'm under the impression that the Assassins are moving away from having a fixed color scheme. It pretty much started in Revelations and continued into 3 and Liberation.

ZephyrStrife
11-25-2012, 03:34 AM
Ben Franklin was a womanizer... its historical fact...

That conversation Haytham has with Ben Franklin is a real letter he wrote. XD

Actually read Shaun's background information on the founding fathers and other historical facts...as cynical as he sounds, he's actually writing the truth. America likes to dress it up. The colonists were not right to freak out over being taxed by the British after Britain nearly went bankrupt going to war for seven years protecting the colonies from the French.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Why are we even discussing this ?? This should be burned, chained and tarred..

IT`S RIDICULOUS !!

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 03:38 AM
That conversation Haytham has with Ben Franklin is a real letter he wrote. XD

Actually read Shaun's background information on the founding fathers and other historical facts...as cynical as he sounds, he's actually writing the truth. America likes to dress it up. The colonists were not right to freak out over being taxed by the British after Britain nearly went bankrupt going to war for seven years protecting the colonies from the French.
seriously, lo freaking l XD

montagemik
11-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Actually, I'm under the impression that the Assassins are moving away from having a fixed color scheme. It pretty much started in Revelations and continued into 3 and Liberation.

Seems nobody mentioned that to desmond in 2012 . :nonchalance:

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 03:40 AM
You really want an Egyptian correcting you about American historical facts ??

Jexx21
11-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Maybe Desmond just likes white and red? :P

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 03:42 AM
Maybe Desmond just likes white and red? :P
XD

TrueAssassin77
11-25-2012, 03:42 AM
i wish they'd go back to white and red... Red, White, Hood, Hidden Blade. A True Assassin

Jexx21
11-25-2012, 03:44 AM
I don't agree with that- I actually think we should see more Assassins mixing up their colors.

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 03:46 AM
Not at all. You're the one who expected something that wasn't supposed to be. Connor wasn't a patriot. Never was meant to be. He was an Assassin. In fact, I still feel the balance is not enough. He behaved more like a patriot than an Assassin at times. What happened to "the patriots can fight their own war, I'm just here for the Templar", Ubisoft? Now we have Connor liberating redcoat forts for patriots.

And those ungrateful bastards actually came in and attacked me while I was liberating one. (How did they even get in??)

Well if my "expectation" was created in a void I would understand your point. However, my expectation was created by advertising put out by the makers of the game. So I think it is fair to say this is more than just a case of "false expectations". If you see an add for a candy bar that has marshmallow in the center, it isn't unreasonable to "expect" that there is marshmallow in the center and not caramel (which is still delicious).

ZephyrStrife
11-25-2012, 03:46 AM
Ben Franklin on how to choose a mistress:

http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/bdorsey1/41docs/51-fra.html

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Well if my "expectation" was created in a void I would understand your point. However, my expectation was created by advertising put out by the makers of the game. So I think it is fair to say this is more than just a case of "false expectations". If you see an add for a candy bar that has marshmallow in the center, it isn't unreasonable to "expect" that there is marshmallow in the center and not caramel (which is still delicious).
Did you ever play an AC game before ?? Did you know that assassins are Neutral in EVERY conflict ?? Yes Advertising is wrong and misleading..but you expecting what you saw is just....just...I don't know a word that does not degrade your Intellect, sorry

ace3001
11-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Protip: There is something called the internet. Use it to do some research before you buy something. Advertising always skews **** up to deceive people. It's like a cornerstone of advertising.

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 03:57 AM
Protip: There is something called the internet. Use it to do some research before you buy something. Advertising always skews **** up to deceive people. It's like a cornerstone of advertising.

Well like I said, I enjoyed the game. If I had to choose to buy it again I would. It was just an observation of mine.

kudos17
11-25-2012, 04:17 AM

But... they... were...

There are some creative liberties taken, yes, but they portray the Founding Fathers fairly accurately. These men were not American superheroes. They were human; they made mistakes, they did bad things, they could be manipulative.

They weren't fools - far from it. But they were only normal people.

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 06:07 AM
But... they... were...

There are some creative liberties taken, yes, but they portray the Founding Fathers fairly accurately. These men were not American superheroes. They were human; they made mistakes, they did bad things, they could be manipulative.

They weren't fools - far from it. But they were only normal people.

Yes, after all even Bill Clinton cheated on his wife.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Yes, after all even Bill Clinton cheated on his wife.
I like you adding the word "Even" there...

It`s like he`s a God or something

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 06:13 AM
I like you adding the word "Even" there...

It`s like he`s a God or something
XD

XxFEARLESSEINxX
11-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Although I enjoyed the game I felt like the American trailers played around Independence Day sort of misrepresent the story of the game. They make it out to seem like the "Assassin" is playing a central role in the Revolution and is a hero figure, whereas his participation in the Revolution comes more as a necessity for other causes than any actual care for the plight of the colonists. He does make a few sympathetic statements regarding the Revolution but at the end of the day he still slaughters American guards at will (whereas killing farm animals will of course get you desynchronized :rolleyes:). Throw on top of that there is also a very negative statement about the founding fathers in one of tl,he "current day" e-mails for anyone who caught that.

Uhhh, Connor is the reason the Revolution is successful.
But k.
The founding fathers weren't really that great of people.
I don't want to write an essay.
Do some research before you get all Mericuh! and call the devs infidels for telling the truth.
And they wonder why people hate Americans.

i wish they'd go back to white and red... Red, White, Hood, Hidden Blade. A True Assassin

There's a white and red outfit, go to the general store.

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 06:32 AM
And they wonder why people hate Americans.

I'm curious who the "people" are that hate Americans? that "they" are wondering about.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 06:34 AM
I'm curious who the "people" are that hate Americans? that "they" are wondering about.
A lot of people apparently..

You seriously think everyone loves Americans ??

XxFEARLESSEINxX
11-25-2012, 06:36 AM
I don't know talk to almost every other nationality in the world... lol.

"they" are wondering why people hate Americans....

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't know talk to almost every other nationality in the world... lol.

"they" are wondering why people hate Americans....

Well since I was asking for specifics, why not provide them? You mean your nationality then? Which is what? Since it is "almost every other" you claim...

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 06:44 AM
http://9thcivic.com/gallery/albums/post/silverfox.gif#.ULGwAIdX3yA

XxFEARLESSEINxX
11-25-2012, 06:54 AM
http://9thcivic.com/gallery/albums/post/silverfox.gif#.ULGwAIdX3yA

^This.
All of this.
You're ignorant, I'm not going to waste my future arthritis on talking to someone stupid.

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 07:01 AM
^This.
All of this.
You're ignorant, I'm not going to waste my future arthritis on talking to someone stupid.

Thank you. I find it very gratifying and somewhat generic to boot when an opponent refuses to continue an argument with me along with a simple insult like "stupid"! Have a good one bro!!!

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 07:07 AM
How did we wander so far from the point of this post?

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 07:18 AM
How did we wander so far from the point of this post?

I was wondering the same..

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 07:28 AM
I was wondering the same..

I guess you have to expect it to go south quick when you see large font red color "palestine" text.

psf22
11-25-2012, 07:29 AM

Did you only watch 1 trailer and that's it, nothing more? If so then it's a bit understandable but i doubt that you only watched 1 trailer.
Just go watch the E3 promo's and they will state numerous times that you're not leading the Revolution or anything like that. But that the battle is still about the templars etc.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 07:31 AM
I guess you have to expect it to go south quick when you see large font red color "palestine" text.
Palestine is not written in red, smartass

What does that have to do with anything anyway ??

zhengyingli
11-25-2012, 07:34 AM
It's natural to feel misled after seeing all of the 'Merica trailer, just don't judge the actual game based on marketing.

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 07:39 AM
I'd like to meet the people now, those who made the 'Muricaa F*** yeah AC3 trailer. :P

Turul.
11-25-2012, 07:41 AM
dev team =/= marketing team

nuff said

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 07:42 AM
I'd like to meet the people now, those who made the 'Muricaa F*** yeah AC3 trailer. :P

Likely very good marketing professionals.

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Still standing to my point, as long as I get to kill me some templars, I'm happy

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Idiot -_-

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Idiot -_-
Who me?

zhengyingli
11-25-2012, 07:47 AM
dev team =/= marketing team

nuff said

Exactly. From an interview with Hutchsinson:

"On the team, it's been funny because we know the story and what happens," Hutchinson said. "You're very much in between these two forces and you're essentially killing Templars. You're not really killing Redcoats or Bluecoats. You're killing the fictional bad guys, so it's more on the marketing side that people have been debating. And we also know that as soon as the game is out and people play it, a lot of this will go away."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-19-assassins-creed-trying-to-be-truthful-on-touchy-topics

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Who me?
No

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Exactly. From an interview with Hutchsinson:

You're not really killing Redcoats or Bluecoats. You're killing the fictional bad guys

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-19-assassins-creed-trying-to-be-truthful-on-touchy-topics

That's just not true though. I can say for a fact I killed FAR... Far... FAR... more redcoats than any other enemies through the game. Not because I "wanted" to but because I was going for 100% completion, which includes such things as raiding the convoys, liberating the forts and other things which are all red coat enemies... so I don't see how anyone can honestly say that is a true statement. If you say you killed more templars than redcoats or patriots... you aren't platinum frankly.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 08:04 AM
That's just not true though. I can say for a fact I killed FAR... Far... FAR... more redcoats than any other enemies through the game. Not because I "wanted" to but because I was going for 100% completion, which includes such things as raiding the convoys, liberating the forts and other things which are all red coat enemies... so I don't see how anyone can honestly say that is a true statement. If you say you killed more templars than redcoats or patriots... you aren't platinum frankly.
*facpalm*

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 08:05 AM
lol

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Likely very good marketing professionals.

They were some people who thought AC3 would be another of those CoD-type American glorification game. They made the trailer as a jibe at the game.

I'm talking about a very specific trailer. Search on youtube. It takes the very first AC3 trailer, cuts off the audio and replaces it with the 'Murica F*** yeah song all the way through xD It was hilarious.

zhengyingli
11-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Quantity doesn't really come into play, here. Connor's goal was always aimed at the Templars; Red/Blue coats were in the way. As for fort liberations, that only fits within the time period when Connor was enamored with Washington's cause. Doesn't mean he's with the colonists. If you liberate the forts before or after, it made no sense, thus making it a mechanic problem, not a story problem.

TrueAssassin77
11-25-2012, 08:11 AM

facepalm

omg

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 08:57 AM
facepalm

omg

hahaha

wow

sheesh

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Nuclear facepalm

TwelveAlpha
11-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Nuclear facepalm

Atomic Sheesh.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Atomic Sheesh.
Boom...

Smartass

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Super atomic nuculer huge sigh

XxFEARLESSEINxX
11-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Well since I was asking for specifics, why not provide them? You mean your nationality then? Which is what? Since it is "almost every other" you claim...

I'm American.
Let's see.
(Not on a political level)
British.
Palestinians.
Chinese.
Muslims.

Need I go on?

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm American.
Let's see.
(Not on a political level)
British.
Palestinians.
Chinese.
Muslims.

Need I go on?
I`m Muslim and I don't hate you:p

Just the Idiots..*cough*your government*cough*

XxFEARLESSEINxX
11-25-2012, 11:46 PM
I`m Muslim and I don't hate you:p

Just the Idiots..*cough*your government*cough*

What bout' Obama?

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 11:47 PM
What bout' Obama?
He`s more of the same...I hated the Government before he came and I still hate it now

Jexx21
11-25-2012, 11:51 PM
I felt misled by Juno.

XxFEARLESSEINxX
11-25-2012, 11:52 PM
He`s more of the same...I hated the Government before he came and I still hate it now

lol

I don't really know what the military is doing over there but Obama is most likely the most sympathetic American in our government right now.
But he can't do anything so...

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 11:55 PM
lol

I don't really know what the military is doing over there but Obama is most likely the most sympathetic American in our government right now.
But he can't do anything so...
Sympathetic is a pretty strong word..I think its misplaced too...If less killing makes him more sympathetic than Bush, then that becomes a problem in human society`s way of thinking..

We`v seen too much violence that we call the little of it, lack of violence..

playassassins1
11-26-2012, 12:01 AM
*sigh* This subject has been discussed too many times... Even before release...

Sidizen
11-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Totally