PDA

View Full Version : Optional Objectives//Constraints

LoyalACFan
11-24-2012, 10:48 AM
With 3 out of 5 games containing them, they have quietly become a fixture of the series... But does anyone actually like them?

I mean, I couldn't care less if they were there or not. They were kinda cool in Brotherhood since they were thematically relevant (extra sync to unlock repressed memories) and they gave you little bonus missions, but in the latest two games they don't reward you with anything (except that lame Altair outfit, but that's another story) so they just kind of felt unnecessary to me.

So my question to the Assassin's community is... Do we want to see constraints in the next AC? Do we love them? Do we hate them? Do we care? I'm kind of curious, because it's a pretty big part of the game that nobody really seems to talk about other than ranting because they can't complete one of them. And feel free to throw in suggestions on how they could be better; this is a constructive criticism thread, not a bashing one.

scooper121s
11-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I would like it if Ubisoft tweaks them slightly as some of them are quite difficult (i.e. air assassinating the guy in the battle of bunker hill, won't say his name as it's a spoiler) whereas others are impossible to lose at, I would like if they put it at average difficulty.
Furthermore, I would like rewards such as more than just Altair's outfit, such as the original concept outfit, and perhaps bring back doing quests= moola, so more sync= more moola.

ace3001
11-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Keep them. I don't particularly like all of them, but they give you something more to do once everything is finished. Personally, I do all available memories once, totally disregarding the optional objectives. Then, if I feel like playing some more AC still, I go and redo them for optional objectives.
The only issue I had with them in the previous games was that returning to a previous checkpoint didn't reset any constraints failed after that checkpoint, causing major headaches, especially with certain war machines in Brotherhood. This time around, it has been fixed with the "reload previous checkpoint" option.

ACfan443
11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I voted tweak because I liked the constraints in ACB/ACR, since there was just one objective you could fully focus on, and it added to the challenge. However I don't like the multiple constraints in AC3, some of them have no relevance to the mission and are extremely frustrating. After completing an optional objective, another one pops up at the next checkpoint, it's really not fun. I wish they had sticked to just one, maybe two optional objectives and rewarded us better for completing them.

scooper121s
11-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Keep them. I don't particularly like all of them, but they give you something more to do once everything is finished. Personally, I do all available memories once, totally disregarding the optional objectives. Then, if I feel like playing some more AC still, I go and redo them for optional objectives.
The only issue I had with them in the previous games was that returning to a previous checkpoint didn't reset any constraints failed after that checkpoint, causing major headaches, especially with certain war machines in Brotherhood. This time around, it has been fixed with the "reload previous checkpoint" option.
Yes, that used to always annoy me in the previous games during my 'perfection' playthrough.

MasterAssasin84
11-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I actualy enjoy doing the optional Missions and Constraints i think it gives the game more longetivity rather than just a set run through of the sequences , i agree with the Christina misssions i thought
they was pretty cool and i though Revelations was crammed with content which gave the game extra life.

On AC3 i think the side missions are cool but the only thing i will say is i think they could have made the Assasination contracts a bit better as i felt they was too easy and there was no real motive other than Assassinate a Templar now if you compare this to Assassins Creed 2 the Assassination Contracts was far more detailed and interesting, and i think ubi could gave us better rewards
but aside from that i like them and they should include them in all AC games.

ace3001
11-24-2012, 11:19 AM
I never really liked the optional objectives, but they definitely add tat extra bit of challenge to the game. However, it would be great if they could be purely optional, with no repercussions for intentionally missing them and providing better rewards if you DO decide to complete them.But they are purely optional. There aren't any repercussions for missing them. You can easily ignore them and play the way you want.

TwoDents
11-24-2012, 11:30 AM
I say tweak them. Some of the optional objectives aren't difficult, but just incredibly frustrating. I want to be challenged, not annoyed. Keep them in the franchise, but work on them a bit.

ProdiGurl
11-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I still think Synching is the alternative to a difficulty level system, but I don't know that for sure. The thing is, for alot of people, AC is easy or too easy so I think if they don't want to give us a literal choice in difficulty levels, the sync system needs to stay and it should be difficult for those players.

One thing I LOVE is that we can go back to the last checkpoint. I do it often & earlier in the game I used that feature to learn combat by repeating group fights over & over again.
I agree that some reward would be nice if we 100% sync the game but good luck agreeing on what it should be or if you like it. :nonchalance:

As for tweaking, here's 2 possibilities from what I've read from other fans here - either give people the option to shut them off (other than mandatory syncs that desynch the mission if you fail), or at least don't flash a bright red "FAILED" message. Penalizing them for not syncing.
I guess the alternative is they could just offer a few sync suggestions before each mission that you can elect to look up & do and end the sync system but they'd have to add some difficulty some other way imo.
I don't know what the answer is. I like that synch's push me to improve my gaming & give me something to do after I'm done playing so I'm fine with them as annoying as a few of them can get sometimes when it's impossible for me to achieve it.

>>> I say tweak them. Some of the optional objectives aren't difficult, but just incredibly frustrating. I want to be challenged, not annoyed. Keep them in the franchise, but work on them a bit. <<<
I agree with that

montagemik
11-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I say KEEP THEM . No one forces you to play them .
& if you don't want the 'lame' rewards as some say it offers - You don't have to complete them.
AC-3 already implemented cumulative optional objectives for many missions - So if you accomplish 1 objective but fail 2 others - you can ignore objective 1 on your replay & go for another .
Once you actually achieve an objective - it stays accomplished in your final DNA checklist . only a few require all in one playthrough.

They already apparently simplified the END CHASE , - Whatever happened to a sense of achievement or working out a way around the challenge they give ?

Evenesque
11-24-2012, 07:31 PM
At first I said ditch them, but I think I have a compromise. Make them not appear the first time you play, and save them as a new game + feature. That, or just let me turn them off to begin with. They really annoy me. They make me feel like I'm not playing correctly, which is completely counterproductive to an open world game.

jamgamerforever
11-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Assassin's Creed is easy. Really easy. The optional objectives are the only thing providing a legitimate challenge, so keep them.

I agree that those who do not want to see big red X's on their screen should be able to disable the feature, however.

UrDeviant1
11-24-2012, 07:38 PM
I'd like to keep them, but get rid of the timed objectives and silly ones like "do not shove anyone". Things to do with performing stealth kills and remaining undetected should stay, and killing a certain number of people In a certain way. I also hope that In future we get rewarded with stuff during the main story and not when we've finished them. New weapon upgrades and definitely new outfits we can wear during the main story.

BeCk41
11-24-2012, 07:41 PM
I always fail them the first time I play the missions, but I wish they just died off- everyone feels like failures if they don't get them. *cough*

LightRey
11-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Assassin's Creed is easy. Really easy. The optional objectives are the only thing providing a legitimate challenge, so keep them.

I agree that those who do not want to see big red X's on their screen should be able to disable the feature, however.
It's a poor excuse for challenge, especially this time around. There seem to be very few people out there that want challenge in the form of optional objectives, it's always been about combat and stealth, and in this game the optional objectives often enough depend way too much on chance, which is absurd.

montagemik
11-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Optional IS optional , & replayable - Not mandatory .

ZephyrStrife
11-24-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't mind them, but they should go back to the old formula of giving the players perks after making the effort to complete them. If I don't get anything out of it (besides personal satisfaction), what's the point? Everyone isn't a trophy hunter.

jamgamerforever
11-24-2012, 10:21 PM
It's a poor excuse for challenge, especially this time around. There seem to be very few people out there that want challenge in the form of optional objectives, it's always been about combat and stealth, and in this game the optional objectives often enough depend way too much on chance, which is absurd.

Well, I'll admit I'd rather actual difficulty settings than the full sync system. Higher difficulty means smarter and stronger AI.

And I'll agree that some of the objectives were based on luck - the naval ones the most so. What I'm saying is I'd rather this system than nothing at all.

LoyalACFan
11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
At first I said ditch them, but I think I have a compromise. Make them not appear the first time you play, and save them as a new game + feature. That, or just let me turn them off to begin with. They really annoy me. They make me feel like I'm not playing correctly, which is completely counterproductive to an open world game.

I'd like to keep them, but get rid of the timed objectives and silly ones like "do not shove anyone". Things to do with performing stealth kills and remaining undetected should stay, and killing a certain number of people In a certain way. I also hope that In future we get rewarded with stuff during the main story and not when we've finished them. New weapon upgrades and definitely new outfits we can wear during the main story.

These two posts sort of sum up my feelings. Getting the gigantic red mark on the screen is really distracting and makes it feel like I failed somehow for playing my way, which is the opposite of what an open-world game should make you feel. And I also think we should get multiple little rewards along the way, like the Cristina missions, which add a little incentive but aren't really 100% necessary. And get rid of the stupid objectives. "Don't shove anyone" is a perfect example; they put in a mechanic that's supposed to help you during chases, then punish you for using it during the only scripted chase sequences in the game? Um... what?

montagemik
11-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Guess i always saw these as playing events exactly how your ancestor supposedly did things - & in reality i suppose your ancestor only accomplished many tasks through sheer luck - Altair / Ezio / Connor maybe skilled - But not supermen .
Seemed fitting that luck /chance & opportunity played a part in the outcome of their lifes events. If Ubisoft decide this is how Altair /ezio/connor did things - I can't say they didn't - The characters are their creation ,not mine- i just play along.

Sure it's frustrating as a gamer who wants maximum enjoyment & fun from the game - But i see the AC series as an interactive story ,more than an open world game for us to do as we want - It has freedom to a point .
But we aren't playing our adventure - we're supposed to be reliving someone elses. In the end i think it helps the immersion process of the story .
But everyone is different & views things differently .