PDA

View Full Version : Why not a present day Assassins Creed IV? [spoilers]

vandelorry
11-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Why not a present day Assassins creed?
Not a full armed guy like other first-person shooters. Something credible... a berettta, some smoke bombs etc. and a couple of principles, moral principles... donīt need an ak47 or smthg. like that: James bond does not need. How about?

UrDeviant1
11-24-2012, 03:27 AM
If a modern day AC Is going to be credible, It's going to need guns...automatic guns, and that for me Is a definite no-go for AC. Maybe there could be a work around where we get awesome gadgets to disable guns, but I just can't see It happening. It would have to end up something more like Dues Ex, and while that's a great game, It just Isn't AC. AC Is unique.

legends7788
11-24-2012, 03:30 AM
yea how about a 6 hour climatic campaign too? How about people surviving a belt of nades while we're at it?

Staple-Tape
11-24-2012, 03:38 AM
If a modern day AC Is going to be credible, It's going to need guns...automatic guns, and that for me Is a definite no-go for AC. Maybe there could be a work around where we get awesome gadgets to disable guns, but I just can't see It happening. It would have to end up something more like Dues Ex, and while that's a great game, It just Isn't AC. AC Is unique.

(Spoiler Warning) While I agree with you, think about what happens after the end of AC3. Supposedly, many people are killed and most of the world is wiped out, and they potential get sent back into the stone age. There is no electricity/power, no government, no order, and possibly even no guns. (Or there are plenty of guns but ammo is rare.)

vandelorry
11-24-2012, 03:42 AM
Ok, but might be a new concept for an assassin at the present day: could not allowed to perform a mass murder(unless he die), the thing could be to kill enemies subtly (ok, like in Deus ex) but some unique features can be the difference point of AC... Iīm only speculating

montagemik
11-24-2012, 03:44 AM
While I agree with you, think about what happens after the end of AC3. Supposedly, many people are killed and most of the world is wiped out, and they potential get sent back into the stone age. There is no electricity/power, no government, no order, and possibly even no guns. (Or there are plenty of guns but ammo is rare.)

That's Not actually what happens as the credits roll .............There wouldn't be news reports about things settling down if it was like that.

But the point is an all out modern day AC game would just seem wrong & there's still so many substancial historical periods between Connors day & Present day.
We'll have a mix of modern & past as always - that is what makes AC ...Well, AC Really .

legends7788
11-24-2012, 03:45 AM
staple, are you kidding me, i play AC for how much it relates to history, not for fantasy skyrim style

CalgaryJay
11-24-2012, 03:46 AM
We all have our own reasons for playing this series. But for me personally, if they go full present day (or bizarro future), I'm out.

The whole history element is the main reason I got so into this series in the first place. I'm sure I'm not the only one..

UrDeviant1
While I agree with you, think about what happens after the end of AC3. Supposedly, many people are killed and most of the world is wiped out, and they potential get sent back into the stone age. There is no electricity/power, no government, no order, and possibly even no guns. (Or there are plenty of guns but ammo is rare.)

Well, there wasn't anything about most of the world being wiped out. There were earthquakes and global blackouts, but that doesn't mean most the population was wiped out. And I'm not sure that would cause a shortage of guns or ammo either.

Staple-Tape
That's Not actually what happens as the credits roll .............There wouldn't be news reports about things settling down if it was like that.
I know that's why I said supposedly. However, they could make it happen.

jamgamerforever
11-24-2012, 03:49 AM
No, I love the history in this series.

HOWEVER, some free-roam present day sections would not go amiss. I actually thought Desmond might get some in AC3, but we just got linear missions (awesome, but still linear).

I don't want the present day stuff to go away, but I also don't want the Animus history stuff to go away. The dual storylines complement each other.

Kfcrsh
11-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Honestly, I don't want Assassin's Creed becoming in to a Splinter Cell, I just want more historic periods!

ze_topazio
11-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Don't you guys pay any attention to what you play?

SPOILEReverything was fine at the end of ACIII, Desmond saved the world/SPOILER

also you guys speak of a modern AC with bazillions of weapons as if a modern AC can only take place in the middle of a war, guns make noise, if an assassin wants to pass unnoticed, blades are a better option for stealth assassinations.

kriegerdesgottes
11-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Because that's boring. There are more than enough James Bond/Splinter Cell games out there. AC is about the history. That what makes it so unique and appealing.

vandelorry
11-24-2012, 03:53 AM
To centre the topic, I' m supposing hat the "real" temporary line of the History does not change in spite of the history of Desmond and the assasins, sorry

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Assassin's Creed has been, and should always be a blend of Historical and Present stories. The only mediums that have different from this approach are the books- and this makes sense, seeing as I believe these books to be books written by characters in-universe.

But yes, a game that is half present-day would be ace.

I wonder what the movie will be like.

jamgamerforever
11-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Should this be moved to Hints and Tips considering it contains full spoilers for AC3's ending now? :)

CalgaryJay
11-24-2012, 03:56 AM
ze_topazio, you gotta give people spoiler warnings before posting stuff like that! You just gave away the ending!

Many of us have beat it already, but there's still plenty here who haven't. Keep in mind the game hasn't even been out a month yet dude.

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 03:56 AM
Because that's boring. There are more than enough James Bond/Splinter Cell games out there. AC is about the history. That what makes it so unique and appealing.

AC is about the conspiracy.

It has been from the beginning.

jamgamerforever
11-24-2012, 03:59 AM
Assassin's Creed has been, and should always be a blend of Historical and Present stories. The only mediums that have different from this approach are the books- and this makes sense, seeing as I believe these books to be books written by characters in-universe.

But yes, a game that is half present-day would be ace.

I wonder what the movie will be like.

QFT.

I'm actually quite interested in modern-day AC. After all, it's not the "real world" - it's "Abstergo world".

I'd say half is a bit much. Maybe 33% present - 66% past. And... 1% loading screens? :)

Staple-Tape
ze_topazio, you gotta give people spoiler warnings before posting stuff like that! You just gave away the ending!

Many of us have beat it already, but there's still plenty here who haven't. Keep in mind the game hasn't even been out a month yet dude.
That was partly my fault too. Sorry about that. I will edit the post.

kriegerdesgottes
AC is about the conspiracy.

It has been from the beginning.

"History is our playground" That is the slogan at Ubisoft. It's the historical and geographical aspects of the games that appeal to a lot of AC fans like myself. I personally don't care much at all for the conspiracy aspects of AC. In fact, I love the animus/ancestry stuff but the one thing I don't like at all is the POE/TWCB stuff. Long story short I disagree with you...again.

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 04:00 AM
I mean, have you guys seen 'Watch Dogs' (also by UbiSoft)?

It gives a modern AC impression a bit.

montagemik
11-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Well the present day story will continue & progress from the aftermath of Desmond's actions , Abstergo still have a Shedload of as yet unused templars training up in the Animi - shown since AC-2 . The Assassin's & Templars will eventually have to align their present day objectives .........At some point.

Meanwhile , we get some of the biggest conflicts & changes in history to play with. BRING IT ON UBISOFT.

Staple-Tape

Well, technically, Hitman has always been a modern day AC.

Jexx21
"History is our playground" That is the slogan at Ubisoft. It's the historical and geographical aspects of the games that appeal to a lot of AC fans like myself. I personally don't care much at all for the conspiracy aspects of AC. In fact, I love the animus/ancestry stuff but the one thing I don't like at all is the POE/TWCB stuff. Long story short I disagree with you...again.
..again?

Oh and playing around with history to make a story practically says that they're playing with conspiracies- considered the fact that history is full of conspiracies.
And I didn't particularly mean the first civ stuff.

kriegerdesgottes

Meh. I'm semi-interested.

Edit:
..again?

Oh and playing around with history to make a story practically says that they're playing with conspiracies- considered the fact that history is full of conspiracies.
And I didn't particularly mean the first civ stuff.

Also I disagree with this as well. It isn't the conspiracies that they usually deal with but the big historical events. They always pick a big historical changing point in history like the crusades, renaissance, American Revolution because these were all huge turning points for historical world events. The conspiracy stuff is just a side narrative to add interest to the real main part of the game which is being a badass assassin in rarely, if ever, used settings and recreating them as they were which is just amazing.

jamgamerforever

Gah, that demo looked good when it was revealed. :D

pirate1802
11-24-2012, 04:04 AM
We all have our own reasons for playing this series. But for me personally, if they go full present day (or bizarro future), I'm out.

The whole history element is the main reason I got so into this series in the first place. I'm sure I'm not the only one..

QFT. I don't mind modern-day elements (infact post AC3 ending I'm, for the first time, interested in the modern day storyline). I'll like to see an AC IV with substantial modern-day sections. But a full modern-day AC? I'm out too. History is the reason I got hooked to AC. If I wanted to play a modern-day action game there are much better options available, I'll play those.

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Well, technically, Hitman has always been a modern day AC.

But Watch Dogs seems closer to what I imagine..

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 04:05 AM
QFT. I don't mind modern-day elements (infact post AC3 ending I'm, for the first time, interested in the modern day storyline). I'll like to see an AC IV with substantial modern-day sections. But a full modern-day AC? I'm out too. History is the reason I got hooked to AC. If I wanted to play a modern-day action game there are much better options available, I'll play those.

Just want to say- I don't advocate the removal of the historical sections. Assassin's Creed is like.. the only non-RTS historical game series I know of.

ze_topazio
11-24-2012, 04:13 AM

You're right, i apologize, however i have to say that i don't understand why someone who has not finished the game yet and doesn't want to be spoiled would come in to a thread like this.

UrDeviant1
11-24-2012, 04:16 AM
Don't you guys pay any attention to what you play?

also you guys speak of a modern AC with bazillions of weapons as if a modern AC can only take place in the middle of a war, guns make noise, if an assassin wants to pass unnoticed, blades are a better option for stealth assassinations.

There doesn't have to be a war In order for there to be guns. And while an Assassin might use blades, the guards won't.

CalgaryJay
You're right, i apologize, however i have to say that i don't understand why someone who has not finished the game yet and doesn't want to be spoiled would come in to a thread like this.

Because it doesn't say "spoiler" on it. For all anyone knows it sounds like it could just be a speculation thread unrelated to anything that happened in 3.

And no worries, I've beaten the game already, you didn't spoil anything for me. Just letting you know what the 4-1-1 is around here.

vandelorry
Iīm thinking not to resign from the history but to have a later point of view... to explain things that we know and to point at a possible future

pirate1802
11-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Just want to say- I don't advocate the removal of the historical sections. Assassin's Creed is like.. the only non-RTS historical game series I know of.

My post wasn't aimed at you Jexx :) I was just replying to the thread, And you're right, it is the only non-strategy history based series. That's why its precious to me.. don't want it to turn into another Splinter Cell, or GTA.. I have absolutely nothing against a mix of both, I'm just against a full modern day game. I've seen some people (not the OP, but the general feeling I've seen from posts of Desmond fans) expecting that future AC games would be full-on modern day games where Desmond would receive his own city to roam in.. That's never going to happen in AC if we listen to the dev interviews.

jamgamerforever
11-24-2012, 04:26 AM
As long as they don't scrap the present-day stuff entirely, I'll be happy. I like Shaun, Rebecca and William. I want to see them again.

Instead of having free-roam modern day cities, why don't they have free-roam in the First Civ timeline? As well as featuring a historical period, as the main feature, of course.

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Well, I would like a modern day character to have a small section of a city to roam around in- on a motorcycle preferably. Perhaps Watch Dogs will provide my fix.

jamgamerforever
11-24-2012, 04:30 AM
Well, I would like a modern day character to have a small section of a city to roam around in- on a motorcycle preferably. Perhaps Watch Dogs will provide my fix.

Perhaps they could have a larger modern-day "hub". A den much like the Farm if you play as Assassins, or Abstergo HQ if you play as the Templars?

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 04:33 AM
Perhaps they could have a larger modern-day "hub". A den much like the Farm if you play as Assassins, or Abstergo HQ if you play as the Templars?
If they did this, I would prefer to have a more... MMO style game.

vandelorry
11-24-2012, 04:33 AM
Come on, imagine that the dev are out (I could be a dev)... imagines Manhattan (the head of the present empire) and a history that takes us up to an uncertain future...

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 04:34 AM
wat

vandelorry
11-24-2012, 04:40 AM
I guess that I'll be more comfortable in the Spanish Forum, however think about the subject of the post

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 04:44 AM
I just don't know what you mean. :)

COBRAMORPH
11-24-2012, 06:19 AM
the most requested Assassin's Creed settings, WW2, Feudal Japan and Ancient Egypt, are "the three worst settings for an Assassin's Creed game". Add to that having an AC take place in the modern day. & they should do the British Raj which now consists of the modern states of India and Pakistan. You dont let fans mae the choices, especially if they are stupid ideas.

Besides, the games DO take place in the present day, because Desmond is the true main character.

At best, I'd like to see that it was Desmond's father that shot that evil Templar JFK. Nothing before 1980.

Jexx21
11-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Desmond isn't the main character anymore, AC3 is his last game.

xboxauditore
11-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Desmond isn't the main character anymore, AC3 is his last game.

Shame really, Desmond didn't really seem to have a personality, he was always like a tool being used without any consideration for his feelings, as he pointed out, then he dies. As if he was nothing.