PDA

View Full Version : Exposing a ships powder stores?

Shaney-Turbo
11-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Is there a technique to doing this or is it just pure fluke? Very frustrating mission.

UrDeviant1
11-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I think a couple of standard Cannon shots should expose the powder barrels so you can go ahead and shoot them with the swivel gun.

legends7788
11-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Depends on the mission

super easy mission anyway even with the upgraded ram

i did fail the one with 3 large ships once however

easiest way is to have chain shot and regular ram

Shaney-Turbo
11-22-2012, 03:45 PM
My ship is fully upgraded so if I take down their masts and ram them, they sink instantly.

TheSpong
11-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Considering you have to hope that the waves don't get in the way, it's partly down to luck that everything's in the right position at the right time (IMO).

I couldn't offer an absolutely reliable tactic, I've exposed weakpoints on ships from half an ocean away and close-up. I only ever used ordinary cannon fire, never bothered with any of the weapon upgrades, but apparently the heat shot works well. You just have to do your best to aim your shots at the prow of the ship where the weak point is. If you can get the Aquila into a T-bone position with your enemy (so your broadside shot is entirely aimed at their front end) then exposure of the weak point is pretty much guaranteed, especially if you're close-up.

Getting the opportunity by being in the right position is where the challenge/frustration lies. I had a strengthened hull and prow, so I always just dropped sail and sat there, let the enemy ships do all the moving around. A lot of the time you'll find that enemy ships will head towards you and turn at the last minute, giving you ample time to get a couple of broadside shots straight at the weak point.

LightRey
11-22-2012, 03:52 PM
What often works is ramming the ship's bow. Be careful though, if you ram them with the ram upgrade you risk destroying them in one go, so I'd advise ramming them at half sail.

UrDeviant1
11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
This must be random then, cause I'v had them become exposed after shooting a couple of cannon shots first.

LightRey
11-22-2012, 03:59 PM
This must be random then, cause I'v had them become exposed after shooting a couple of cannon shots first.
Anything that does enough damage works as long as it's in the right spot, so it's not random. :P

UrDeviant1
11-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Anything that does enough damage works as long as it's in the right spot, so it's not random. :P

Ah, okay :D

legends7788
11-22-2012, 04:05 PM
if you're good enough at the game you shouldnt have problems with this

playing ac3 8 hours a day atm

Shaney-Turbo
11-22-2012, 04:10 PM
if you're good enough at the game you shouldnt have problems with this

playing ac3 8 hours a day atm

Well, aren't you special...

legends7788
11-22-2012, 04:12 PM
o im sry? im not special by any means just an informed gamer

montagemik
11-22-2012, 04:39 PM
I usually chain shot the Mast , Then position my ship 'full stop' so most of my Firing line is aimed at their Bow only (front end)
1 Good shot with Ball shot / heat shot usually exposes their weakspot - Frigates & man o war alike . ( but is dependant on wave avoidance also)
i'm also fully upgraded. So ramming can be hazardous for this method.

There is 1 mission where you 'have' to destroy them this way - But 1 of the 3 ships is already exposed so can be shot almost immediately.