PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding stalls

Mitlov47
02-19-2004, 08:14 PM
After playing for a while on "easy," I'm now trying to learn to play on normal difficulty. But I keep on stalling and spinning in dogfights. How do I avoid this? Sometimes I can recover (rudder in opposite direction--I remember that from Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific), but many times I can't, and it's mission over. How do I avoid this? Is it from extreme turning on full throttle? Using the rudder improperly while at a high angle of bank? Does dropping flaps to "combat" increase or decrease the chance of stalling and spinning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mitlov47
02-19-2004, 08:14 PM
After playing for a while on "easy," I'm now trying to learn to play on normal difficulty. But I keep on stalling and spinning in dogfights. How do I avoid this? Sometimes I can recover (rudder in opposite direction--I remember that from Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific), but many times I can't, and it's mission over. How do I avoid this? Is it from extreme turning on full throttle? Using the rudder improperly while at a high angle of bank? Does dropping flaps to "combat" increase or decrease the chance of stalling and spinning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JG7_Rall
02-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Just don't yank on the stick so much, and listen to your plane. She'll tell you when she's gonna stall on ya. This takes practice like anything else, so be patient.

http://home.comcast.net/~nate.r/sig.jpg

VW-IceFire
02-19-2004, 08:20 PM
There's a bunch of things to reduce the number of stalls you generate for yourself and even further reducing the number of unrecoverable spins.

1) Know and have a good feel for your plane. I'm not sure what you like to fly but each plane stalls differently and some are worse at it than others. The FW190 at low speeds and at high angle of attack (a high angle that your trying to turn at in relation to your base flightpath in simplistic terms) will generally snaproll and stall. The P-39 if yanked in too many directions will either stall or spin. If you go into a loop...you're likely to stall (that may even be desired).

2) Be soft on the controls. When I came into FB for the first time I tended to stall out alot because I was used to space combat games...the idea there is to have maximum stick response so you can achieve best manuver rates...not so in FB. Pull back only as far as required...if you feel a stall coming on (sound or vibration) then losen up a bit on the controls.

3) Experience. Thats the easy and hard one. You'll get used to it...you probably should have started with stalls in the first place...but hey...learning can be interesting.

I still unintentionally stall myself out pretty serverely from time to time. Nothing to be ashamed of...its just bad when you need to make a crucial manuver to get a shot in...and bammo...you've stalled out.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

aerick2
02-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Combat flaps greatly reduce your tendancy to stall. As far as speed/ rudders, that depends on the aircraft. The best thing to do is just to experiment-- test out turns at different speeds with/without rudder in your favorite plane(s).

For example, the Hurricanes can be made to turn on a dime simply by rolling over 90 degrees to the horizon, dropping the flaps a bit, and pulling back on the stick all the way. Other planes can't handle that kind of stick pressure in a turn (like the P-39, for example). You have to ease them into a turn.

I hope this helps to get your mind going. Really the best way to learn is just by trying things out. Different planes demand different techniques.

clint-ruin
02-19-2004, 08:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG7_Rall:
Just don't yank on the stick so much, and listen to your plane. She'll tell you when she's gonna stall on ya. This takes practice like anything else, so be patient.

http://home.comcast.net/~nate.r/sig.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Mr. Rall says, gentle handling is the key here. Most of the FB planes are high performance fighters rather than newbie friendly trainers, and they require you to have a fairly steady stick hand. Some are worse than others - probably the I-153 and A6M5 qualify as two of the most gentle planes, the FW-190, P-39 and I-16 are towards the more snap/stall/spin prone end.

Playing on 'easy' relaxed realism settings can set you back some ways to learning how to fly the planes we have on the 'full' realism settings. You have taught your brain and stick hand how to control a plane that works one way, now you have to teach it new methods.

I would advise that you take a look at FBs control options and decrease the sensitivity in the pitch/roll/yaw axis by 5 points at each percentage or so. Other people have their own favorites, but I find settings of

1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100

In each 'response' column to be best.

If you have a naughty joystick or gameport that produces unstable reactions from your Joystick, you might also want to set 'deadzone' and 'filtering' to 1 in the joystick controls section.

Bear in mind that except in certain circumstances, you will recover from a spin faster if you apply opposite rudder and chop the throttle to 0, rather than just applying rudder.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

Mitlov47
02-19-2004, 09:21 PM
I hadn't really settled on a specific plane as my "weapon of choice" yet. I've been using the I-16 and P-39 a lot, which now I guess are not the best places to start ;-)

I don't have Forgotten Battles yet--I've just got the original IL-2. Any suggestions for some user-friendly Allied planes from that? LA-5? LaGG? MiG-3? Yak-9? I'm really not that familiar with Russian planes (and flying on easy didn't teach me much about them, in retrospect). I really like just the look and attitude of the MiG-3, but it's NEVER mentioned on these forums. So I'm guessing it ain't the best of planes?

I'll probably pick up FB when the Gold Pack comes out next month.

Slush69
02-20-2004, 02:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EMitton:
I hadn't really settled on a specific plane as my "weapon of choice" yet. I've been using the I-16 and P-39 a lot, which now I guess are not the best places to start ;-)

I don't have Forgotten Battles yet--I've just got the original IL-2. Any suggestions for some user-friendly Allied planes from that? LA-5? LaGG? MiG-3? Yak-9? I'm really not that familiar with Russian planes (and flying on easy didn't teach me much about them, in retrospect). I really like just the look and attitude of the MiG-3, but it's NEVER mentioned on these forums. So I'm guessing it ain't the best of planes?

I'll probably pick up FB when the Gold Pack comes out next month.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stay away from the MiG-3 for now. It's a plane that requires some pretty specific tactics to be effective.

My advice would be to stick to the La-5FN. It's a pretty good allrounder, that can turn and climb with most other planes. It's only drawback is the small ammo load.

Forget all about 'easy' mode. It will NOT make it easier to learn the basics of Il-2. Enable stalls, engine management, blackouts, torque etc. and learn to fly with that. You'll appreciate it in the end.

cheers/slush

http://www.wilcks.dk/crap/Eurotrolls.gif

Capt_R_Pupkin
02-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Im not new to FB, have had it since it came out but just havent put much time into it. But plan on spending much more time with it now.