PDA

View Full Version : Assassin’s Creed 3 PC community faq – tips and solutions to problems

spectatorx
11-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi and welcome everybody ;-) I’ve decided to create the same as year ago for revelations so now for ac3 faq with some tips to make your pc prepared for game and with some solutions to problems which you may occur during gameplay.

Let’s start this FAQ ;-)

1. Check if your computer meets requirements, to do this go to this site:
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17133/p/88%2C2511

Here i would like to give to all of you few advices. You probably expect to play at your machines highest detail with high fps rate. From tests which already been shown by n****ia you can conclude not many may run the game in full hd resolution with all settings maxed out. For modern gaming with higher details and fluid fps 4-core cpu is a good start, cpu is happy when it can use 4GB or more ram and these numbers of ram are happy when they are paired with gpu like geforce x60 or higher or on amd side with radeon hdx770 or higher. That’s kinda universal tip for hardware configuration able to run most games in decent details and fluid fps. Do not expect miracles and impressive graphics from gpus,for n****ia: geforce x50 and lower, for amd: radeon hdx670 and lower. Game will work but with low settings and as more weak hardware less fps you will get. Intel is not manufacturing gaming-class graphics cards, their only purpose is to render basic graphics like desktop, pictures, movies.

2. If you have 3GB of ram or more check if you have installed x64 version of windows. x32 flavor is unable to use more than 3GB of ram. So if you have more than 3GB of ram installed and installed x32 windows so you should install x64 to make use of full ram capacity. Anyway i still do not get why people are installing x32 windows, for me as a gamer it makes no sense.

3. If all above are fine next you should to install all available recommended updates, you can do this in control panel/windows update.

4. While awaiting for game you also might prepare uplay program which you can download from uplay.com website. Program is a launcher for game.

5. To prevent some possible errors you should to permanently set the game to run as an administrator. To do so go to folder where your game is installed, mark 3 files: ac3sp.exe, ac3mp.exe and assassinscreed3.exe, click on them with right mouse button, select "properties", go to tab "compatibility" and in there check two options: "run this program as an administrator" and "disable display scaling on high dpi settings", click ok to apply settings.

6. Now when hardware and software is ok you may want to squeeze more from your hardware, you can do this by upgrading your gpu, soundcard and network card drivers.
Latest beta amd drivers you can find in here:
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/Catalyst-Hotfixes.aspx
Drivers for so-called legacy ATI HD2xxx, HD3xxx and HD4xxx and their AGP flavors:
Windows vista, 7 and 8 x64:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx
Windows vista, 7 and 8 x32:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista32.aspx
Latest nvidia beta drivers you can find at nvidia site or geforce.com.
To get drivers for soundcard and network card you should go to motherboard manufacturer's website and download them from there. Your motherboard model you can find in dxdiag program (start/run: type dxdiag). If you have problems with finding updated drivers post in this topic your motherboard name and i will try to find them;-)

7. If you are experiencing low fps with decent hardware and all above you did you should to check your gpu settings (nvidia control panel or amd vision engine control center). If you have some gpu-demanding options enabled, such as additional methods of aa, high numbers of tesselation, stereoscopic 3d, set them to „controlled by application” or disable if it is possible. If you are owner of i3/i5/i7 cpu with hyperthreading this technology may be responsible for your low fps. You can disable it in bios but if bios do not has such option to do so and cpu uses this technology you can use as workaround program called, for example, process lasso and set affinity by using it.

8. Very nice thread for users having amd gpus, let's say thx to kosay91 who created this wonderful list of tips ;-)
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/727543-PC-Performance-Help-(AMD-Radeon-users-only)?p=8715068#post8715068

9. Especially in multiplayer but also may occur in singleplayer, graphics glitch with missing areas, models and visible only deep-background things like underground, sky etc. When you are facing this kind of problem probably you have enabled antialiasing in drivers settings. Go to nvidia control panel/amd vision engine control center and set antialiasing to "controlled by application".

10. Your alls personal fav problem, i know, LOW FPS ISSUE IN BOSTON, NEW YORK, FRONTIER :D So far there is no confirmed as working solution to problem, there is some possible fixes which for me are joke but few players posted them as these which worked to them. Usually they are based upon editing .ini file or disabling integrated gpu. Ok, i understand, fix with disabling integrated gpu may work, there is technical explanation of it and you may try to do this, but in ini is no options which might change anything to performance, except setting which you already have in in-game menu (resolution, level of details etc). Problem can't be fixed with ini editing, it can't be fixed with drivers, it can't be fixed from user-side, problem is in bad game optimization and memory leaks which mean it can be fixed only by developers who can improve source code of the game. We have to wait with patience for patch from ubisoft.
In short: there is no fix for it yet! Wait for patch from ubisoft.

11. Unexpected game crashes. These are hard to find their reasons, usually caused by driver errors, drivers conflicts, conflict with other kinds of software. Every case needs individual attention. At first go to control panel/programs and features - in this applet remove all software you are not using, remove all bloatware e.g. toolbars, additional search engines, "free xx songs", etc. After it you may need to reboot your computer. If problem still occurs and game keep crashing go to control panel/action center, find entry about assassin's creed, click it and copy and paste in this thread detailed error description. I will try to deliver solution to you asap.

12. For xfire software users. If xfire chat/overlay is not working for you in assassin's creed 3 multiplayer mode go with this link and do as it is described in there:
http://themaningrayhat.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/assassins-creed-3-multiplayer-how-to-make-xfire-work/

Patch v1.01:
http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/ac3/AssassinsCreed3Updater1.01_WW.exe

Patch v1.02:
http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/ac3/AssassinsCreed3Updater1.02_WW.exe

Patch v1.03:
http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/ac3/AssassinsCreed3Updater1.03_WW.exe

Patch v1.04:
http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/ac3/AssassinsCreed3Updater1.04_WW.exe

Patch v1.05:
http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/ac3/AssassinsCreed3Updater1.05_WW.exe

Patch v1.06:
http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/ac3/AssassinsCreed3Updater1.06_WW.exe

For this moment i think that's all i can help you and of course i will be updating this faq with more informations ;-)

P.S.
Same as before sorry for my english,if you want to correct me feel open to share it with me :D Greetings from Poland to all pc assassin’s creed gamers :-)

nitres15
11-20-2012, 04:23 PM
i´ll be getting a new PC, if i run into any problems, can i ask you ?

spectatorx
11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Of course, i can advise you some good hardware ;-) If you will be asking me about something like this provide link to your fav shop and tell how much you want to spend on your pc, that's all i think ;-)

nitres15
11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardvara/164675-asus_cg8270-nr006s-core_i7-3770-8gb-1tb-gtx660_3gb-dvd-windows_8

this is the one im buying (building one is out of the picture)

GrumpyFinn
11-20-2012, 05:11 PM
What's the exchange rate of a kronor to USD OR € ?

nitres15
11-20-2012, 05:24 PM
1,040.00 SEK(swedish crowns) = 153.76 USD

nitres15
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
not sure if this is right buy ...
10040. SEK(swedish crowns) = 1,484.38 USD

spectatorx
11-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Computer you linked is very good one, nice top-end cpu, quite big amount of ram and mid-end gpu. Windows 8... if you like it it is ok, if not it will be a problem to you:D

But as i see in there for 1000 more this one is much better 'cos cpu and gpu are top-end solutions:
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardvara/164042-medion_erazer_x70-i7-3770-8gb-1tb-gtx680_2gb-windows_8
If you are able to spend 1000 more it is much better machine to buy. Difference in price is really worth of spending.

spectatorx
11-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Faq updated with link to kosay91's thread about amd radeon gpus :-)

GabuLucio
11-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Can you help me mate? I just cant get the game started, when I press play in Uplay the game just crashes with the error "AC3SP.exe has stopped working", I had the same problem with assassins creed brotherhood, the thing is, my PC is completely inside the system requirements, the weird part is I can launch the multplayer, I can even play the training part of the game. But the single player is driving me crazy because it just crashes... I read a lot of posts of others who had the same problem, but nothing could fix it for me, its driving me crazy...
Please, if you can, help me...

TYIA!

spectatorx
11-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Startup crashes may be caused by many various things and it is really hard to find out what causes them. For a good start try all these things i posted in faq above. I'm not sure if it may help to you but it's worth to try.

spectatorx
12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Little faq update, let me know if something helped or didn't help to you :-)

Raja2698
12-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Hello Guys...I'm getting a crash after i start the game.I can play game only for 5-10 minutes...after that games freezes and Windows reports that " AC3SP.exe has stopped working "..
Please help me,I need a fix for this:(:confused:

spectatorx
12-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Go to control panel, actions center, point to problem related to ac3sp.exe and bring me full message about this problem including error code etc.

spectatorx
12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Little update for xfire software users.

kght22
12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
i apologize for the apparent insult that this will be, but can i request that somebody who speaks english as a first language re-write or correct the op here? trying to read that has given me a headache. i will simply point out the first time it was obvious that the op didn't speak english as a first language ("advices" is not natural in that sentence. "advice" would have sufficed) i could continue, but i am simply saying that the op gives me a headache while trying to read something that is in fact good advice. it is all valid information, but it is written even worse than my horrible english. and yes, i know i am bad, but if i am getting a headache from trying to read it....

Rio_Rossi
12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Any fixes or workarounds for in-game music disappearing after Hidden Secrets DLC installation?

Thank you.

xema25
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
For problem 11 (Random crashes). I find a solution by underclocking a little bit my GPU. It worked like a charm.

spectatorx
01-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Good it worked for you but not always it is solution. Game is just bugged and a lot of crashes occur without reason.

rishab_13
01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
i need advice on this..
got the PC version of AC3 .
installed it and then went to uplay.
entered the CD key and it doesn't work. :confused:
Please help.:(

TurtleOne_
01-10-2013, 10:34 PM
@ Boston FPS problem - it seems to be a problem with cpu. I saw many people with i5, i3 or c2q (not mentioning c2d as it's not supposed to work on these at all with such bad optimalisation) having fps drop. However, i7 users seem not to have it. I don't have it either. I run i7 3610qm, 4gb ddr 3 RAM and GF 630M 2GB and it seems to run fine. I get 31-40 fps like from start of the game to 2-3 sequences in Boston, it only dropped to like 28 fps in some buildings randomly. I have all set on normal and textures on high. So, as I said, it is a CPU/RAM related problem, if you plan a hardware upgrade then i7 is neccessary as for now to get maximum of fps for this game.

@Edit
as for this moment I had no crashes, no glitches, bugs etc. It seems that I was lucky or something.

@Invalid CD-key - try turning on caps lock and including or not "-" between each row of letters/number. It may help.

Perk5
01-10-2013, 10:53 PM
When an i7 is required to play this game smoothly, then something is horribly wrong, yes? Besides, read both "AC3 FPS issues" threads (one was closed by moderators) and you'll see that i7 users have reported issues as well, unfortunately.

ironliondoor
01-11-2013, 11:29 AM
My game crashes about every 3-15 minutes, and I can't even set any of the 3 (AC3SP.exe , AC3MP.exe , Assassinscreed3.exe) to run as administrator because if I do, Uplay will say that it has encountered an error and cannot start the game. Launching it in safe mode or disabling the Uplay Overlay won't fix it either.

spectatorx
01-14-2013, 07:11 PM
FAQ update: added link to patch v1.02.

robydascalu
01-14-2013, 07:42 PM
idk if its the right place but can anyone please tell me a good ability set for manhunt and domination

spectatorx
01-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Another little update: added links for legacy ATI HD Radeon gpus.

hoangdang0920
02-09-2013, 04:27 AM
pls I need help I cant install AC3 I have tried with many retailed dvds and all of the iso copies I can find on the internet, but every time theres an error either catastrophic failure or cyclic redundancy check and the installation stopped. Pls is there a way to fix this I’ve tried with many different dvds and isos already and every time I got one of those errors.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
02-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Hi ZSilverBulletZ, please open a ticket with our Technical Support team so they can troubleshoot this with you, the link is in my signature.

spectatorx
02-09-2013, 01:32 PM
CRC errors are usually caused by few things:
1. viruses - check your computer with antivirus
2. incomplete, corrupted file (in your case iso file) - redownload iso
3. damaged hdd - check for errors and health status with hdtune program and post screenshots here.

spectatorx
02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
A little update on faq, added link to patch v1.03.

Black_Widow9
03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Thank you for this wonderful thread spec!
I've added it here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/727566-AC3-PC-Feedback-amp-Support-Links

spectatorx
03-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Thank you for your kind words :-)

And that's good you finally did something useful in case of ac3 :-) Now you could do one thing more: please update us, gamers, with progress of devs on fixing assassin's creed 3 pc game performance. Thousands of gamers already sent complex reports on performance so we should get in response something more than "devs are aware".

UdayVerma
03-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi,
I guess there is a bug in "Sequence 5- Lying Low"
I am not able to pick the lock.
While moving the mouse up & down nothing happens.
I have been trying it for more than one hour but not able to pick the lock.

Please respond as soon as possible as I am not able to play further.

Thanks.

spectatorx
03-22-2013, 07:14 PM
The problem you are facing seems to be glitch specific to your soft/hardware configuration and IMO it is unfixable.
You can try to reinstall the game, if this will not help reinstall audio, graphics and network card drivers but i doubt if this could help. And two the worst things try is to start the game again from beginning, if you still will have this problem MAYBE windows reinstallation will help.

Welcome to ac3, the worst ac game in series, overglitched, overbugged, totally unoptimized.

spectatorx
04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Little update on faq, added link to 5th patch.

jjthorne
06-04-2013, 09:18 PM
With the patch that came out today, the customize controls for the x-box 360 controller for the PC version of Assassin's Creed 3 was unlocked but all the options that where in the game where changed from what it was before the patch, when i went to customize the settings back to what they were I couldn't see what was what, everything was coming up as unknown, and the options that came up if I kept a button pressed down were unable to set up due to this.

Hence i cant play the game as i was playing as a cant send my co-assassins on missions and i cant have as many options on the joypad as i did have.and i cant assign anything to the LT or RT buttons on the JoyPad

spectatorx
06-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Lol, i had to manually download and install patch, updater didn't find it by itself xD

Anyway, about your problem.... Ubisoft can mess also gaypads support... omg... And they said over one year ago pc ac3 will not have mouse+keyboard support... As firs thing to do i can suggest you to removie from "..../documents/Assassin's Creed III/" remove file Assassin3.ini, open the game and try to configure your gamepad again.

P.S.
Link to patch added to faq.

jjthorne
06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
ah thankyou spectatorx, deleted that .ini file and yes the settings reset themselves with the joypad going back to normal, why it changed i have no idea, but yeah it has now reset to the way it was.

thanks again.

bolz87
06-05-2013, 11:46 AM
The manual patch gives me an error "Can't find number version of the game" -.-

UnlimitP0wer
11-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm having trouble launching the game. this user32.dll error pops up saying it cant find querydisplayconfig in teh file USER32.dll.

Can you help me out?

btw, already tried updating windows and my drivers.
and this link doenst help me: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142676

Scarabaeus83
11-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Whoever programmed the lumberers is a master troll. All these guys do is smoke, fish, and stare for hours at their wagon wheels. It makes completing the Encyclopedia rather difficult.

Black_Widow9
11-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Whoever programmed the lumberers is a master troll. All these guys do is smoke, fish, and stare for hours at their wagon wheels. It makes completing the Encyclopedia rather difficult.
Have you tried using the weather Hack to follow them in the winter? ;)