PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed 2 Sheer Beauty

MasterAssasin84
11-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Whilst i am Loving Assassins Creed 3, i played a few sequences on 2 last night and i really have to say this is my best Assassins Creed game,

The way ubi have captured Rennaisance Italy is just superb, Florence, Venice and Tuscany have been crafted beautifully and i find the game very
atmospheric, not fogetting Ezio Auditore is everything an Assassin should be.

I also found the story line very engaging and the concept of Ezio finding his heritage was just brilliant story telling.

AdrianJacek
11-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Cool story bro...

pirate1802
11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I know how you feel. Dat nostalgia man.. It ain't easy to top that! :D

ProdiGurl
11-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Yep nostalgic. Someone put up a clip of Ezio doing an Assassin recruit ceremony from ACB & I just melted lol
I get that way with alot of games I played & enjoyed anytime I see clips from them or start a replay. AC3 will end up being that way w/ me too but I have to admit that lack of music makes it harder to bond with. There's so much free roam to do & having dead silence that long in gameplay is problematic imo.
I'll probly play the Trilogy over if I EVER finish AC3. :)
I think you only have 3 more days to wait Pirate!! Can't wait to hear your opinions.

pirate1802
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
I think you only have 3 more days to wait Pirate!! Can't wait to hear your opinions.

The place where I live doesn't have any retail store that sells games, we do have online stores but they take upto three days more to deliver the product, so that's 3+3 days for me :(
I played for a while on my friend's xbox though, that only made me want the game even more :( :(

I hate my place..

MasterAssasin84
11-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Yep nostalgic. Someone put up a clip of Ezio doing an Assassin recruit ceremony from ACB & I just melted lol
I get that way with alot of games I played & enjoyed anytime I see clips from them or start a replay. AC3 will end up being that way w/ me too but I have to admit that lack of music makes it harder to bond with. There's so much free roam to do & having dead silence that long in gameplay is problematic imo.
I'll probly play the Trilogy over if I EVER finish AC3. :)

I have already beaten 3 just to find my way around but now im going through it again as the game was intended like doing all the side missions, visiting the hunting society and a bit of trading and i must say i love this game it is an epic master piece, hopefully the new patch coming this week will make the experience far more better.

But i will have to say i have lots of love for number 2 i can play the game over and over again and still find it most enjoyable.

ProdiGurl
11-20-2012, 01:51 PM
The place where I live doesn't have any retail store that sells games, we do have online stores but they take upto three days more to deliver the product, so that's 3+3 days for me :(
I played for a while on my friend's xbox though, that only made me want the game even more :( :(

I hate my place..

That's torture. But you at least have high speed internet in your area which I completely lack. :nonchalance:

I have already beaten 3 just to find my way around but now im going through it again as the game was intended like doing all the side missions, visiting the hunting society and a bit of trading and i must say i love this game it is an epic master piece, hopefully the new patch coming this week will make the experience far more better.

But i will have to say i have lots of love for number 2 i can play the game over and over again and still find it most enjoyable.

Ya I opted to do all the side stuff on my first play thru becuz I wanted to give feedback for Devs - but who knew it was THIS long. I'm only at the end of Sequence 6 after release date lol.
Once I figure out how to do everything properly (Stockpile/artisans/trade/craft), I think it'll be even more fun. Ya it's a fantastic game for sure. :)
I'm more of an ACB lover than ACII but it was brilliant - love his story & the missions in it. Nothing beats AC for me. :D

MasterAssasin84
11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
That's torture. But you at least have high speed internet in your area which I completely lack. :nonchalance:

Ya I opted to do all the side stuff on my first play thru becuz I wanted to give feedback for Devs - but who knew it was THIS long. I'm only at the end of Sequence 6 after release date lol.
Once I figure out how to do everything properly (Stockpile/artisans/trade/craft), I think it'll be even more fun. Ya it's a fantastic game for sure. :)
I'm more of an ACB lover than ACII but it was brilliant - love his story & the missions in it. Nothing beats AC for me. :D

The only Problem i had with Brotherhood was i found the storyline very shallow though i did enjoy the new features like recruiting Assassins and rebuilding Rome and i loved the atmosphere of
the Rome countryside. But i think AC2 was very rich and beautifully crafted and a great story line.

Sequence 6 i found was were the game really opened up i loved exploring the frontier and the hunting.

ProdiGurl
11-20-2012, 04:44 PM
You know the area I loathed in ACII was those Mountains? or what was that area that felt all cold and damp? I think Catarina was in charge of it? Forli or something.
It's been so long since I played it. I mainly liked Florence & Venice. Nothing can beat Rome for me tho - & the colorful graphics... the soundtrack...
Ezio was in his prime... I think one of the Christina memories was in that one where he comes back & she has a fiance? Loved that mission.

That's the kinda stuff Connor needs going on :rolleyes::cool:

Kaswa101
11-20-2012, 04:50 PM
You know the area I loathed in ACII was those Mountains? or what was that area that felt all cold and damp? I think Catarina was in charge of it? Forli or something.
It's been so long since I played it. I mainly liked Florence & Venice. Nothing can beat Rome for me tho - & the colorful graphics... the soundtrack...
Ezio was in his prime... I think one of the Christina memories was in that one where he comes back & she has a fiance? Loved that mission.

The Cristina missions were awesome! Connor definitely needs a love interest in the next game. ;)

ProdiGurl
11-20-2012, 04:59 PM
The Cristina missions were awesome! Connor definitely needs a love interest in the next game. ;)

Yes it's a MUST. :D I was obnoxious last year in this forum with begging for our next protagonist to have a love interest going on the side.
My first introduction to AC was Ezio in ACB w/ Catarina before his city gets attacked... I was shocked that scene was in there but I LOVED it & it made me fall in love w/ his character & bond with him. It only got better when I bought ACII after that w/ his earlier relationship w/ Cristina.

That reminds me to do some more begging in the Feedback thread - Connor needs some excitement in his introverted life :o

AdrianJacek
11-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Bah, the Mountains didn't even deserve to be a normal location. War Machines areas were much more complex and interesting. But seriously - Mountains? A minature and completly linear version of The Kingdom? Though it's pretty funny the worst location had one of the best missions in the game. :P

MasterAssasin84
11-20-2012, 05:35 PM

I think you may be reffering to Forli ? They was was supposed to be cold dark and damp because during that time there was a plague going on, did you notice how
the wetlands was very dismal looking ? that was the idea behind it.

Yeah i enjoyed the Christina Missions from ACB but i actualy read these events in the Assassins Creed Renaisance novel.

Aphex_Tim
11-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Yeah, i don't know how but i love how a game that's only about three years old can feel so nostalgic.
It's the beautiful atmosphere i guess.

MasterAssasin84
11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I just love everything about AC2 even florence feels warm welcoming and scenic and the hustle and bustle of the locals it feels so alive not forgetting the beauty of the city
and the music really complimented it as prodigurl mentioned was lacking in AC3.

Aphex_Tim
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
I just love everything about AC2 even florence feels warm welcoming and scenic and the hustle and bustle of the locals it feels so alive not forgetting the beauty of the city
and the music really complimented it as prodigurl mentioned was lacking in AC3.

I'll never forget the impact this track had on me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mn_PIAh72A

egriffin09
11-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I agree AC II is beautiful game. IMO AC II and ACIII are the best in the series. Each game does something better than the other. Like AC II has a better story, but AC III has a bigger game world to explore and more things to do outside of the main story (clubs, forts, hunting, homestead missions, more collectibles, crafting, underground fast travel, privateer missions, etc..) While AC II had background music and AC III doesn't, I feel AC 3 makes up for that in the crowd life (just the citizens in general-- and there are pigs, dogs, and rats in the cities). AC 3 has a better combat system in imo. The crowd seems more alive in AC 3, but AC 2 has the beautiful music. I liked Ezio's personality more than Connor's, but both are great assassins. While I like the architecture better of florence and venice than boston and new york, the frontier is just jaw dropping in beauty and scope. When I look at AC II and AC III as a whole, I can't say I like AC 2 more than AC 3, or that I like AC 3 more that AC 2. There are ertain things I enjoy more about AC 3 and there are certain thing I enjoy more about AC 2 Both are better than brotherhood and revelations imo. AC II and AC III are def top two for me. I plan on starting my second playthrough of AC 3 after the patch is released later this week over the Thanksgiving holiday.

pirate1802
11-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Yeah, i don't know how but i love how a game that's only about three years old can feel so nostalgic.

Sometimes we forget the game is just three years old eh? :D It feels like the game came out 10 years ago.

Iamsosobad
11-20-2012, 08:14 PM
The only Problem i had with Brotherhood was i found the storyline very shallow

I never understood why people dislike Brotherhood's story so much. It might've been pretty simple, but it was well done and I loved seeing Ezio grow and become the leader of the Assassins. Cesare was my favorite villain of the series too.

But ya, renaissance Italy was awesome and so breath-taking to play through in AC2. The music also added a lot to the atmosphere, I have no idea why they made AC3 so silent.

MasterAssasin84
11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I never understood why people dislike Brotherhood's story so much. It might've been pretty simple, but it was well done and I loved seeing Ezio grow and become the leader of the Assassins. Cesare was my favorite villain of the series too.

But ya, renaissance Italy was awesome and so breath-taking to play through in AC2. The music also added a lot to the atmosphere, I have no idea why they made AC3 so silent.

Thats really my only problem i have with AC3 is its silent in some areas.

I never had a problem with brotherhood i loved it but i just thought the storyline was quite empty and lacked the impact the previous games had, but in do agree seeing Ezio in his prime was a good addition.

TwoDents
11-20-2012, 10:20 PM
ACII is definitely a great game. Loved it when I first got it, still love it. Although I think people may be giving it a bit too much credit, because it definitely had some problems. Also, I really wish they didn't exhaust Ezio. For Assassins, I'll say that 2 games is the max until you are completely annoyed and tired of the character. Well, at least for me, that is.

zhengyingli
11-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Thats really my only problem i have with AC3 is its silent in some areas.

I never had a problem with brotherhood i loved it but i just thought the storyline was quite empty and lacked the impact the previous games had, but in do agree seeing Ezio in his prime was a good addition.
Totally love the streamlined nature of Brotherhood's default costume. Ezio looked like a boss.

daltonesque
11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
ACII is in my opinion the prettiest of all the AC titles. The opening sequence was so tight! Me and my homie were in my living room right after I brought it home and we literally jumped out of our seats like oh S**T when the brief cutaway to the assassin logo after you climb to the top of the church with Ezio's brother. Really in terms of first time playthroughs that's my favorite moment in the history of AC. I really hope they make a more impressive intro like that in the next one. Florence was so accurate I've actually seen photos of it in people's homes and been able to point out what I'm looking at. That's something you just can't get from any other title.

daltonesque
11-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Bah, the Mountains didn't even deserve to be a normal location. War Machines areas were much more complex and interesting. But seriously - Mountains? A minature and completly linear version of The Kingdom? Though it's pretty funny the worst location had one of the best missions in the game. :P

Shoulda bought a PS3. I had ACII on xbox and when I saw it on PS3 I was so pissed. I went and bought a PS3 later that week. The visual difference is astounding. It's like a cartoon next to photorealism. I'm not an xbox hater (and I know I was lucky to be able to afford a PS3 at the time) but it just doesn't measure up in this regard. ACII was literally jaw dropping. Everything glistens. The colors are so deep and rich. It may sound silly but I am truly thankful for the people who make this game happen. I wasn't much of a gamer except for fighting games until I played ACI. I've had so many hours of fun and learned so much about architecture and culture from these time periods (well since the ADB was brought into the game). It's obvious that this franchise is a labor of love and I think that is just awesome. Thanks you guys. Seriously.

ProdiGurl
11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
>>> http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/icons/psn_id_small.pngTwoDents
ACII is definitely a great game. Loved it when I first got it, still love it. Although I think people may be giving it a bit too much credit, because it definitely had some problems. Also, I really wish they didn't exhaust Ezio. For Assassins, I'll say that 2 games is the max until you are completely annoyed and tired of the character. Well, at least for me, that is.<<<

I'm up in the air on the Trilogy thing - Every one of those games is a prized possession of mine - I don't doubt if we had to evacuate for a wildfire, that my games would be coming with me :). I do agree that it should be the only trilogy in AC. Two is plenty to wrap a good story up.

>>> I think you may be reffering to Forli ? They was was supposed to be cold dark and damp because during that time there was a plague going on, did you notice how
the wetlands was very dismal looking ? that was the idea behind it.<<<

No I didn't know that. At least I know now. I really didn't like that feeling at all. All the swamps & stuff.
It helps to know. Thanks.

The one thing that got grueling was that I was missing just 1 Codex ... I had to travel the entire map 2 times looking for that thing to proceed w/ the game. So it created more negativity towards the Mountains & Forli than I probably would've had just doing all the viewpoints.

>>> I never understood why people dislike Brotherhood's story so much. It might've been pretty simple, but it was well done and I loved seeing Ezio grow and become the leader of the Assassins. Cesare was my favorite villain of the series too.

But ya, renaissance Italy was awesome and so breath-taking to play through in AC2. The music also added a lot to the atmosphere, I have no idea why they made AC3 so silent.<<<

I'm with you on the ACB thing - there was SO much to like.. taking towers was a highlight for me. Too much to list.
& I don't know if it's just AC or this goes with all games, but music is crucial... maybe w/ AC it's more important than other games? I'm considering finding a soundtrack to play on my PC just for some background sound & see if that helps.

I'm trying to remember if RDR had constant music in free roam? I don't recall it, but in AC3 that "alive" feeling isn't there like it's there for the past games.
Even in ACR w/ music I felt it wasn't quite as alive as ACII & ACB - but that's probably just me.
Either way, I think this is a big part of fan negativity about ACIII. Empty/hollow feeling in free roam. I think it's my main criticism of the entire game & I pray they don't make the same mistake in AC4. !! :-O

daltonesque
11-20-2012, 11:23 PM
>>> http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/icons/psn_id_small.pngTwoDents
ACII is definitely a great game. Loved it when I first got it, still love it. Although I think people may be giving it a bit too much credit, because it definitely had some problems. Also, I really wish they didn't exhaust Ezio. For Assassins, I'll say that 2 games is the max until you are completely annoyed and tired of the character. Well, at least for me, that is.<<<

I'm up in the air on the Trilogy thing - Every one of those games is a prized possession of mine - I don't doubt if we had to evacuate for a wildfire, that my games would be coming with me :). I do agree that it should be the only trilogy in AC. Two is plenty to wrap a good story up.

>>> I think you may be reffering to Forli ? They was was supposed to be cold dark and damp because during that time there was a plague going on, did you notice how
the wetlands was very dismal looking ? that was the idea behind it.<<<

No I didn't know that. At least I know now. I really didn't like that feeling at all. All the swamps & stuff.
It helps to know. Thanks.

The one thing that got grueling was that I was missing just 1 Codex ... I had to travel the entire map 2 times looking for that thing to proceed w/ the game. So it created more negativity towards the Mountains & Forli than I probably would've had just doing all the viewpoints.

>>> I never understood why people dislike Brotherhood's story so much. It might've been pretty simple, but it was well done and I loved seeing Ezio grow and become the leader of the Assassins. Cesare was my favorite villain of the series too.

But ya, renaissance Italy was awesome and so breath-taking to play through in AC2. The music also added a lot to the atmosphere, I have no idea why they made AC3 so silent.<<<

I'm with you on the ACB thing - there was SO much to like.. taking towers was a highlight for me. Too much to list.
& I don't know if it's just AC or this goes with all games, but music is crucial... maybe w/ AC it's more important than other games? I'm considering finding a soundtrack to play on my PC just for some background sound & see if that helps.

I'm trying to remember if RDR had constant music in free roam? I don't recall it, but in AC3 that "alive" feeling isn't there like it's there for the past games.
Even in ACR w/ music I felt it wasn't quite as alive as ACII & ACB - but that's probably just me.
Either way, I think this is a big part of fan negativity about ACIII. Empty/hollow feeling in free roam. I think it's my main criticism of the entire game & I pray they don't make the same mistake in AC4. !! :-O

Cesare definitely a great villain. The Brotherhood story was pretty great I thought. All the incest and saucy Catarina and Christina moments, Machieveli's possible betrayal, Leonardo's machine's, the thieves. Lots of characters with interweaving stories. Granted it was a bit more mainstreamy sensationalism but hey that was the day and it was entertaining as all h**l. Sexing up the Revolution would be weird. I liked that it's moved on to something different now. Not that I was tired of Ezio. The change is timed right and choosing not to continue with the same tired machismo was the right decision.

zhengyingli
11-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Machieveli's possible betrayal.
which was extremely clever. I remember back in ACII that I had issues with Machiavelli being an ally as this guy was historically well known for his admiration of Cesare; I suspected him right at the moment he showed up in ACII. It turned out that he only praised Cesare's virtue,not his methods. One of the highlights for me in the entire series, for sure.

Assassin_M
11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Oh Seriously ? Am I the only one who thought the Cristina missions were Meh ??

I loved AC II and ACB and occasionally pop one of them, but I really thought the Cristina were mediocre at best..

Must be my twisted head

ProdiGurl
11-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Well me being a female, it was more about the romance of it - those scenes that came after the short mission so you got more story of them.
:) But I really do like short little missions to break things up along the game.

Assassin_M
11-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Well me being a female, it was more about the romance of it - those scenes that came after the short mission so you got more story of them.
:) But I really do like short little missions to break things up along the game.
Well Yeah sure, I thought they were decent Character Progresses, but people seem like they worship the Cristina-Ezio Romance. I thought it was Cliche..The whole Concept I mean..This Romance..

I enjoyed Ezio-Sofia so much more..

Like I said, It`s Probably because I have a twisted head

ProdiGurl
11-21-2012, 03:59 AM
Cesare definitely a great villain. The Brotherhood story was pretty great I thought. All the incest and saucy Catarina and Christina moments, Machieveli's possible betrayal, Leonardo's machine's, the thieves. Lots of characters with interweaving stories. Granted it was a bit more mainstreamy sensationalism but hey that was the day and it was entertaining as all h**l. Sexing up the Revolution would be weird. I liked that it's moved on to something different now. Not that I was tired of Ezio. The change is timed right and choosing not to continue with the same tired machismo was the right decision.

He was a fantastic villain I agree. He actually made you hate him. I felt the same way w/ the man that betrayed Ezio's father in the beginning of ACII & caused the family loss.
Both really made me want to take them out.
I don't know about AC1 w/ 'sexing it up', but I think it's normal for these Assassins to have relationships. I always prefer love interests not that it has to be Rated R or anything, just some sort of side story going on to personalize them to us. Something that makes them more than just 'I play an assassin & my mission is this _________. & that's all to their character for us.
It doesn't have to be a heavy type of thing.

Edit in: >>> Well Yeah sure, I thought they were decent Character Progresses, but people seem like they worship the Cristina-Ezio Romance. I thought it was Cliche..The whole Concept I mean..This Romance..

I enjoyed Ezio-Sofia so much more..

Like I said, It`s Probably because I have a twisted head <<<

There was alot more they could have done w/ Ezio & Sophia, but it was very nice & I liked it too :)
I like more of the younger passion type of stuff tho - more Xciting. :)

Assassin_M
11-21-2012, 04:16 AM
He was a fantastic villain I agree. He actually made you hate him. I felt the same way w/ the man that betrayed Ezio's father in the beginning of ACII & caused the family loss.
Both really made me want to take them out.
I don't know about AC1 w/ 'sexing it up', but I think it's normal for these Assassins to have relationships. I always prefer love interests not that it has to be Rated R or anything, just some sort of side story going on to personalize them to us. Something that makes them more than just 'I play an assassin & my mission is this _________. & that's all to their character for us.
It doesn't have to be a heavy type of thing.
I hate Side Stories when They`re Romance..I just think it`s too over done in Media..

Part of the reason I sympathized with Connor so much was the lack of ANY form of Romance..

Baked_Cookies
11-21-2012, 04:45 AM
Yeah I know man. AC2 was by far my favorite Assassins Creed game I have ever played. While the one that kicked it off and ACB ACR and AC3 are great 2 has always had a special spot for me as the best.

ProdiGurl
11-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Ya that's another angle ... I might feel that way by the end of the game. I really like him how he is for now. But you don't want any type of side story for Connor?

Assassin_M
11-21-2012, 05:28 AM
Ya that's another angle ... I might feel that way by the end of the game. I really like him how he is for now. But you don't want any type of side story for Connor?
Of Course I do..

Connor had the Homestead side story and the recruit side story..

Those are great examples of how to build character without including Romance..

pirate1802
11-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Like I said, It`s Probably because I have a twisted head

Yup.

You know, I tend to lean towards villains who are more grayish and humane.. if you want to use the word. It's about personal opinions surely, but I prefer Ahmet over the out and out evil Cesare. His lecture to Ezio would be one of my most memorable moments in the AC series. Ezio didn't even have a proper answer to him, he just parroted some lines. Also from the first game, Garnier de Naplouse (hope I spelled it right). His death speech to Altair was amazing. It really made me question myself, and Altair. Am I doing the right thing? What if I'm wrong and they are right all along? What if I'm the villain? That guy made perfect sense to me. "..But I want to play with fire father.." Best quote by a villain, ever.

BeCk41
11-21-2012, 05:52 AM
AC2 is the best game in terms of atmosphere, radiance, music and quality. It's definitely the best AC game as far as ratings go! <3

zhengyingli
11-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Of Course I do..

Connor had the Homestead side story and the recruit side story..

Those are great examples of how to build character without including Romance..
It would be refreshing to see Connor marrying someone unrelated to his quest through normal circumstances. You don't necessary need romance to marry, after all.

Assassin_M
11-21-2012, 06:16 AM
It would be refreshing to see Connor marrying someone unrelated to his quest through normal circumstances. You don't necessary need romance to marry, after all.
Exactly..

I want something "Different" and THEN after the Marriage, the Romance can be made between the 2 due to some situations they are put in..

Jexx21
11-21-2012, 06:36 AM
ac2 was too foggy. couldn't see well.

foggiest AC game. 2nd foggiest was AC1.

glad for the unfogginess in following games

IronEagl3
11-21-2012, 07:25 AM
What made ACII one of the best games (and certainly one of the most nostalgic games ever) is the background music. I promise you that without that music in ACII, it would've been just another ordinary game. I bet if ACIII had songs playing in the back it would be just as good as ACII, which it is gameplay wise.

Necr0m0nger2010
11-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Whilst i am Loving Assassins Creed 3, i played a few sequences on 2 last night and i really have to say this is my best Assassins Creed game,

The way ubi have captured Rennaisance Italy is just superb, Florence, Venice and Tuscany have been crafted beautifully and i find the game very
atmospheric, not fogetting Ezio Auditore is everything an Assassin should be.

I also found the story line very engaging and the concept of Ezio finding his heritage was just brilliant story telling.

Have you played AC3 and run a few miles in his Ship The Aquila!?

Its amazing and one of the best sections... riding a huge crest of the wave is so epic, the sea looks beautiful as well. You should try it ;)

scooper121s
11-21-2012, 10:25 AM
The only reason I liked AC2 was the AMAZING music (Sure it isn't a big issue for me it wasn't in AC3 because I can actually stand connor) Ezio felt like such an idiot, totaly unrealatable for someone who likes serious down to earth characters; i.e. connor and altair, this is the reason I actully liked Ezio in Rev, he had finally come down to earth and was no longer chasing women all that much (I approve of sofia as she is a book nerd like me) brotherhood had mixed feelings for me as he was starting to come down to earth.

Long live altair ibn la'ahad son of umar
Lond live connor kenway; disiple of Achillies Davenport

ProdiGurl
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
What made ACII one of the best games (and certainly one of the most nostalgic games ever) is the background music. I promise you that without that music in ACII, it would've been just another ordinary game. I bet if ACIII had songs playing in the back it would be just as good as ACII, which it is gameplay wise.

That's exactly how I feel & it's been my biggest criticism of ACIII & I commented on it in the Feedback thread last week.
For whatever reason, music is vital to AC for setting mood and tone {and probably character bonding) of the game.
I can't say that it's just as vital for other game titles (I believe it is in Saint's Row), but I do know how important it is in movies.
Resident Evil 4 bypassed music sometimes by using eerie sounds as background filler and that worked too.
But in ACIII it just isn't there and I absolutely believe that is driving most of the negative fan perception without people even realizing it.
I love the game and it's hard for me to do so much free roam in silence. There's a hollowness that I can't help but feel.

Edit in:
The only reason I liked AC2 was the AMAZING music (Sure it isn't a big issue for me it wasn't in AC3 because I can actually stand connor) Ezio felt like such an idiot, totaly unrealatable for someone who likes serious down to earth characters; i.e. connor and altair, this is the reason I actully liked Ezio in Rev, he had finally come down to earth and was no longer chasing women all that much (I approve of sofia as she is a book nerd like me) brotherhood had mixed feelings for me as he was starting to come down to earth.

Long live altair ibn la'ahad son of umar
Lond live connor kenway; disiple of Achillies Davenport

I think Assassins come in all shapes & sizes... they all have their unique issues & differences. But I think it's obvious they gave Connor this quiet, polite, introverted personality (even tho I believe some of it is also due to his heritage & Indian culture) to counter Ezio from the last 3 games.

IronEagl3
11-21-2012, 01:59 PM
That's exactly how I feel & it's been my biggest criticism of ACIII & I commented on it in the Feedback thread last week.
For whatever reason, music is vital to AC for setting mood and tone {and probably character bonding) of the game.
I can't say that it's just as vital for other game titles (I believe it is in Saint's Row).

Haha you play Saints Row too? Awesome. Love that game, and the story to me is amazing. I'm a fan of game/movie series when people who were vital to the story just disappear and are never to be seen again. SR3 though was pretty bad imo. But overall, I think AC's story beats SR, but not by a long shot.

CalgaryJay
11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I can't say that it's just as vital for other game titles (I believe it is in Saint's Row), but I do know how important it is in movies.
Resident Evil 4 bypassed music sometimes by using eerie sounds as background filler and that worked too.
But in ACIII it just isn't there and I absolutely believe that is driving most of the negative fan perception without people even realizing it.
I love the game and it's hard for me to do so much free roam in silence. There's a hollowness that I can't help but feel.

100%, I completely agree.

I've mentioned in the past on these boards that I think a big part of the decision to ditch music (which in hindsight, was clearly a pretty substantial mistake) was to reflect the grittiness of this setting, as well as show off some of the new natural city/nature sounds they're probably worried would otherwise be drowned out by music.

But recently I've been thinking of another factor, on top of those ones, could be from AC breaking out into a mainstream, extremely popular sandbox game after the ACII era games. I wonder if AC devs started comparing it to other 1A, bigname sandbox games (many which I've noticed do not have ambient music during free roaming, like GTA, or at least not to the level of previous AC games where its so prevalent). I wonder if in comparison, the AC devs worried their heavy usage of music was a bit smalltime and decided to cut it. The irony being that during "GTA V info week" last week, R* announced they would be introducing ambient music to the series in GTA V.

Anyway that last paragraph's just pure speculation, who knows how accurate that actually is. Either way, its very clear what a mistake it was not including ambient music this time around, I just really hope the devs are aware (and more importantly, agree) of this. You're right, in the cities at least, it left a hollow feeling and prevented a level of immersion to an otherwise very fun game.

ProdiGurl
11-21-2012, 03:31 PM
100%, I completely agree.

I've mentioned in the past on these boards that I think a big part of the decision to ditch music (which in hindsight, was clearly a pretty substantial mistake) was to reflect the grittiness of this setting, as well as show off some of the new natural city/nature sounds they're probably worried would otherwise be drowned out by music.

Wish I had read those posts - I've liked quite a few of your posts around here. If that's what they were trying to achieve, I wish they had asked Lorne to just create some .... "gritty" music tracks :p
There isn't enough going on in the city streets to pull off dead silence in free roam (esp. when there's so much free roaming to do in ACIII).
They could have even used some sort of muted flute playing (nothing too irritating) to associate American history or something as he walks around the cities at least. I know when I hear those British drums, it at least gives me a feeling of emotion as it goes by...
Anything.

But recently I've been thinking of another factor, on top of those ones, could be from AC breaking out into a mainstream, extremely popular sandbox game after the ACII era games. I wonder if AC devs started comparing it to other 1A, bigname sandbox games (many which I've noticed do not have ambient music during free roaming, like GTA, or at least not to the level of previous AC games where its so prevalent). I wonder if in comparison, the AC devs worried their heavy usage of music was a bit smalltime and decided to cut it. The irony being that during "GTA V info week" last week, R* announced they would be introducing ambient music to the series in GTA V.

lol go figure - they probly see how prevalent music is and how powerful it can be in gaming/movies.
I sure hope AC doesn't go that route!! And if they do, they have got to beef up the background noise and interest. Crowds have to be humorous and all sorts of other types of sounds to carry the silence in free roam. (imo).
I LOVED the humorous crowd stories & the Doctors shouting... something about lead in the dentistry. lol

Anyway that last paragraph's just pure speculation, who knows how accurate that actually is. Either way, its very clear what a mistake it was not including ambient music this time around, I just really hope the devs are aware (and more importantly, agree) of this. You're right, in the cities at least, it left a hollow feeling and prevented a level of immersion to an otherwise very fun game.[/QUOTE]

Haha you play Saints Row too? Awesome. Love that game, and the story to me is amazing. I'm a fan of game/movie series when people who were vital to the story just disappear and are never to be seen again. SR3 though was pretty bad imo. But overall, I think AC's story beats SR, but not by a long shot.

Ya SR is fun. :D
I loved SR3 but disliked SR2 - plus I sucked so bad at SR2 I wouldn't buy it after rental. But 3 was no problem. Really loved the soundtracks. Pure fun.
It's weird how people have different preferences.

ps. I hacked your quote - sorry, will fix later when I have time.

CalgaryJay
11-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Wish I had read those posts - I've liked quite a few of your posts around here. If that's what they were trying to achieve, I wish they had asked Lorne to just create some .... "gritty" music tracks :p
There isn't enough going on in the city streets to pull off dead silence in free roam (esp. when there's so much free roaming to do in ACIII).
They could have even used some sort of muted flute playing (nothing too irritating) to associate American history or something as he walks around the cities at least. I know when I hear those British drums, it at least gives me a feeling of emotion as it goes by...
Anything.

Ya agreed about the streets, they weren't nearly as lively as those "Inside AC" previews leading to release would have you believe. In some cases you could make the argument that they're the most alive they've been, but its only a slight improvement, as opposed to the "leaps & bounds" improvements they were insinuating. Either way, there certainly wasn't enough going on in the streets to eliminate music altogether like they did.

Interesting you mention the American continental flutes, as I've thought of this too. Quite odd Ubi left this out. When I first heard British regiments with drums playing (which I thought was awesome), I just naturally assumed the Americans would have the same idea but with flutes instead (good way to tell them apart anyway). I was surprised and a little disappointed when later in the game I finally came across American troops and it was the same exact drum.

pirate1802
11-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm a fan of game/movie series when people who were vital to the story just disappear and are never to be seen again.

O.o Not sure I follow..