PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Aces have any advice on using this plane ?

Saburo_0
02-11-2004, 09:20 AM
hurri's make nice interceptors, but roll rate isn't much & she is rather..well, Patient about getting to where she's going. So how do you use the Hurri against other fighters ?

Saburo_0
02-11-2004, 09:20 AM
hurri's make nice interceptors, but roll rate isn't much & she is rather..well, Patient about getting to where she's going. So how do you use the Hurri against other fighters ?

blabla0001
02-11-2004, 09:24 AM
The Hurricane IIc, believe it or not, is a very capable boom & zoom fighter against most early war planes.

Huxley_S
02-11-2004, 09:31 AM
The best thing to do is to fly at about 80% throttle in the opposite direction to the enemy. Then after about half an hour look for a dissused airfield, land there and have a bite to eat. Then fly back to base and draw a couple of crosses on the side of the plane... secretly praying for the Aces Expansion pack so you can fly the Spitfire instead.

aerick2
02-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Most people underestimate the Hurricane. In my last two online games, I have scored about 8 kills in the IIc (as opposed to my normal 0-1 kills in as much time in other planes). It turns very well if you roll over to 90 degrees, lower your flaps a bit, and pull back on the stick all the way. The trick is to keep your speed up, but no higher than ~400KM/h, because after that it becomes VERY sluggish. As for gunnery, I have my convergence set to 150 meters, and do not fire at any range greater than 200 meters.

SpinSpinSugar
02-11-2004, 10:19 AM
In the hands of anyone who can aim well, the IIc and the field mod with the cannons are very effective in DF servers. You can't fault the firepower and it's refreshing to fly a cannon equipped aircraft that doesn't blind you with muzzle flash.

It's very stable when firing, and also near the stall. Combat flaps would make it a brilliant turn fighter but you can "juggle" them effectively between the two stops.

Very few fly the eight gun versions online as up against later heavily armoured opposition the guns are ineffective. Does fine against it's early war peers though. Fly the RAF Hurri campaign by Extreme_One and Poymando (sp?), it's great fun with a wide variety of missions.

Cheers, SSS

Saburo_0
02-11-2004, 10:44 AM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Very Interesting stuff guys. Hadn't thought of playing the flaps back-n-forth had just left them alone . Some interesting ideas here can't wait to get home & try it our a bit.

One thing in favor of the IIb is you get to watch all those pieces falling off the other guy. Of course it takes a while to get anyone that way. Anyone know if the cannons degrade performance more than the light mg .303s ? Or does the weight about even out?

blabla0001
02-11-2004, 11:05 AM
I prefer the IIc over the Field Mod and the Field Mod over the IIb and the IIb over the Ia.

I don't really notice any difference in performance with the IIc and the IIb.

The firepower of the IIc is really great, I think the Axis players should fear the Tempest V when it arrives.

Learn to Boom & Zoom in the IIc and you will wreck havoc in a Tempest V, a true Allied Boom & Zoom plane.

Saburo_0
02-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Capp, mu-hah-ha! Can't wait til we get the beautiful tempest. Just adore that plane!

J_Flyer
02-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Its also a not so well known fact that the hurricane actually won the battle of britain whilst the spitfire took all the glamour.
This was because the hurricanes had a lot more squadrons than the spitfires and so also had more kills. It was a very stable gun platform for shooting own enemy bombers, and it was extremely durable. It was canvas covered, unlike the metal spitfire, so (I think) was cheaper and was far easier to repair.
Please correct me if I am wrong but i think I speak the truth. I just thought it may have been of some intrest to all you aircraft fans.

The propellor is just a big fan to keep the pilot cool.. when it stops you can see the pilot start sweating!

XyZspineZyX
02-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Most here seem to think the "representative" Hurri is the IIC, because of those cannons.

It's the 8 x .303 Mk I that did the heavy lifting: not only in the BoB, but in N. Africa, over Malta (until later in the campaign when the prized cannon birds arrived), in the Dutch East Indies, over France.

The plane had periods when it held its own, but taking everything into consideration, I'd have to say the Hurri was a bit of an underachiever. I think it pulled off a "standing on its head" performance in the Battle of Britain.

The Spitfire is obviously a better plane all around.

clint-ruin
02-12-2004, 12:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J_Flyer:
Its also a not so well known fact that the hurricane actually won the battle of britain whilst the spitfire took all the glamour.
This was because the hurricanes had a lot more squadrons than the spitfires and so also had more kills. It was a very stable gun platform for shooting own enemy bombers, and it was extremely durable. It was canvas covered, unlike the metal spitfire, so (I think) was cheaper and was far easier to repair.
Please correct me if I am wrong but i think I speak the truth. I just thought it may have been of some intrest to all you aircraft fans.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, the small numbers of spitfires as compared to Hurricanes is a known entity among most people familiar with the battles of the time, if not the general public. The role of 'glamour' in selling the image of a weapon, making the countries military look super-advanced or invincible, is fairly well known as a propaganda device, though. This goes a long way to explaining the spitfires reputation as the saviour of the brits in the BOB.

Canvas coverings for planes could be both beneficial or a big drawback - occasionally planes escaped serious damage from cannon rounds failing to detonate after penetration, but the treatments used for the doped canvas [neoprene?] could tend to be very flammable when they took a solid hit from HE/HEIs. Not good when you have a fuel tank sitting right up front with the pilot :/

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

tttiger
02-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Ummm...combat flaps???

The Hurri (and the Spit) had only to flap settings: Down (landing) and up (everything else). If you drop them in a turnfight you may be able to pull lead a bit better but you risk jamming them.

I like flying the Hurri early war and the IIc with all that firepower and stability is clearly the best. But after 1942, just like the P-40, I park it.

I'm going to see if I can find where I read it. I believe the IIc was the most produced version.

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."

aerick2
02-12-2004, 07:18 PM
You can put the flaps in any position you want if you map them to a slider.

VW-IceFire
02-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Hurricane in 1940 was already starting to be considered obsolete compaired to its chief adversary the Bf 109E. Its fairly well recognized that more Hurricanes than Spitfires were active during the Battle of Britain...however most Hurricanes were on bomber interceptor duty and the Spitfires were tasked with going after the 109's. Not that these roles weren't reversed later on into a combat situation...the Hurricane wasn't a slouch either...it was just not quite as competitive as the Spitfire Mk 1 was (which was the equal of the 109E).

Its just as well that the Hurricane was there for bomber intercept...it was tougher and more robust as well as easier to fix once back on the ground.

As for flying in combat...two things:

1) It does better at medium altitude than it does at low altitude I find. Engage the supercharger around 2500 meters and head upto 4000 meters. Thats where it seems to be happy.

2) If you get into a fight with 109 (or anything else really) use your superior turn radius to beat them. Most of the time the Hurricane can turn better than a 109 can. When on the offensive...aim for the engine and little else.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

blabla0001
02-13-2004, 02:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Most here seem to think the "representative" Hurri is the IIC, because of those cannons.

It's the 8 x .303 Mk I that did the heavy lifting: not only in the BoB, but in N. Africa, over Malta (until later in the campaign when the prized cannon birds arrived), in the Dutch East Indies, over France.

The plane had periods when it held its own, but taking everything into consideration, I'd have to say the Hurri was a bit of an underachiever. I think it pulled off a "standing on its head" performance in the Battle of Britain.

The Spitfire is obviously a better plane all around.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He didn't ask about what Hurricane did what during the war, he asked for tips on how to fly them in this game...........ooooh sorry Stiglr, sim. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

JG77_Tintin
02-13-2004, 04:00 AM
The Hurricane 1 was constantly improved through 1939 and 1940. The Germans found that by BOB time the standard Hurricane was much improved. Was due to (1) adding pilot armour (protection), (2) constant speed prop instead of fixed wooden job (climb & dive) and (3) the RAF converted to 100 octane fuel from March, 1940 (power). The Hurricane encountered in July, 1940 over the channel, was a different beast to one over Sedan, France, two months earlier.

MatuDa_
02-13-2004, 04:50 AM
In response to the original post:

Try to lure the opponent into a turnfight or make him lose his energy some other way. With the 12 mg:s hurting bf109:s is not a difficult task even from high deflection shots and after they start dragging the trail of black smoke the pilot can's see well enough to continue fighting. Early turn is also a good move with the hurri since it turns really fast and maybe you can shoot the attacker after merge.

a faster opponent will have trouble if you split-s while killing the power since he will either have to pull up or end a lot lower than you.. and then pour .303:s on him.

Thats some stuff to get you started and experience and combinations will give you success.

Saburo_0
02-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks ALL Some really good advice here, sure do appreciate it!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

whitetornado_1
02-19-2004, 07:21 AM
From mid summer to fall 1940 when fighting was at its peak don't forget that it was the Hurricain that was credited with 80% of all downed German aircraft.The Hurri was a ''do all'' fighter.Not the Spit http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

The Spit was better handling and faster and more talked about and contributed to winning the Battle of Britain.
You can't change history.Historians say it was the Hurricain that won the Battle of Britain
for the English.

blabla0001
02-19-2004, 07:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whitetornado_1:
From mid summer to fall 1940 when fighting was at its peak don't forget that it was the Hurricain that was credited with 80% of all downed German aircraft.The Hurri was a ''do all'' fighter.Not the Spit http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

The Spit was better handling and faster and more talked about and contributed to winning the Battle of Britain.
You can't change history.Historians say it was the Hurricain that won the Battle of Britain
for the English.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody here said that the Spitfire won the Battle of Britain.
But the Spitfire was needed to be able to cover the Hurricane's who where going after the bombers since it was a more capable fighter against the Bf109's then the Hurricane MKI.

RdTimeTheCharm
02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
I fear nothing more than Hurri high up. Nothing - not even Migs are comparable.

There is something others know that i dont. Ive had my A$$ handed over to me time and time again by team of Hurris over 7000 meters. Some VEF teams are just good.

Nothing can meet them, not G2 not F4 - they go faster, climb faster turn faster over there.

But if i try myself - i cant do $hit with the plane. There is something - some way...

Franzen
02-19-2004, 07:56 AM
I like the Hurri but I'm no ace. The only problem I ever had with it is the gravity-fed carbs. As long as you don't puch the stick forward you won't stall the engine. If you do stall the engine, I've been told not to reduce speed for restart but honstly haven't tried it. I heard you need more that 225kph to start. But once again. I'm no ace. I love the guns and the fact that it can take a few hits.
If I've made any wrong claims I hope someone will correct me. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fritz Franzen

ericson
02-19-2004, 12:30 PM
For maximum speed you need to slide the hood back and flap your arms.

Franzen
02-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Thx, I'll try that http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Should I wear slippers or go barefoot? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif

Fritz Franzen http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif