PDA

View Full Version : [OT] IMPORTANT - A Moment of your time - Arma 2 Devs wrongly incarcerated

shobhit7777777
11-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi Guys

I'm not sure if you all are aware about the incarceration of two Arma developers - Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar by the Greek Government on the charges of "espionage". They have been held captive for over 2 months and have been denied bail.

The two developers were in fact touring the island and clicking photographs for the upcoming game Arma 3 (which is set in the fictional island of Lemnos - based on Greece) as reference (IIRC) and were unaware that they had inadvertently photographed sensitive military/government sites.

They obviously are not spies and have been held in jail for 70 days!

Many of you may not play the franchise or may be unaware of their plight.....but the fact is that these guys are Game Developers (And **** fine ones too). They are "Our" people.

Heck, forget the gamer tag and consider this from a humanitarian perspective and it won't take long to see this is just plain wrong.

To that end I urge you to spread awareness and help in any way you can...following are some links shedding light on the issue and also showing how we can help.

http://rocketkiwi.tumblr.com/post/31744919816/my-friends-are-in-prison

http://kotaku.com/5961330/jailed-arma-developers-denied-bail-in-greece

http://kotaku.com/5944218/dayz-creator-wants-you-to-help-free-his-friends-currently-held-hostage-in-greece?tag=arma

http://www.helpivanmartin.org/

http://www.helpivanmartin.org/how-to-help/

I sincerely hope they return safe and sound to their homes and their families

Silhouelle
11-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, their situation sucks. As you said clearly they aren't spies and should be released, whether fined or not isn't for us to say I don't think. To be fair though, they really should have asked the police (or equivilent) or such about it before hand. You don't just go taking pictures of military bases.

rileypoole1234
11-17-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't agree with you posting it here but I agree that their imprisonment is stupid. I'll check out the links.

shobhit7777777
11-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Yeah, their situation sucks. As you said clearly they aren't spies and should be released, whether fined or not isn't for us to say I don't think. To be fair though, they really should have asked the police (or equivilent) or such about it before hand. You don't just go taking pictures of military bases.

I think they would've had they known. They were completely blindsided. I doubt guys working on a MilSim like Arma 3 would be naive enough to openly photograph restricted (Apparently not restricted enough to keep away tourists) areas.

Even so 70 days for lost tourists? Thats a bit excessive IMO.

Anyway, I'm glad you feel the same....I hope people can generate as much awareness as they can.

Gianavel
11-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Greece has things worth spying on?

lightlamp
11-17-2012, 12:44 AM
They will probably ransom them off for cash since there entire country is crumbling

TheHumanTowel
11-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Wow what an absurd situation. Whatever about the initial misunderstanding but the fact they've been held for 70 days is just ridiculous.

shobhit7777777
11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Wow what an absurd situation. Whatever about the initial misunderstanding but the fact they've been held for 70 days is just ridiculous.

And denied Bail....

I agree...this is beyond ridiculous

pirate1802
11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah I heard about it last month. Really unfortunate. Hope they get to go home at the earliest.

TwoDents
11-17-2012, 10:55 AM
To be honest, they really should have done their homework to know what is good/not good to photograph. The CIA were on my father in a heartbeat while he was taking photos while he was in the Navy. Thankfully he didn't get in trouble. Hopefully the situation will be cleared up soon, just some lost tourists it seems.

shobhit7777777
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
To be honest, they really should have done their homework to know what is good/not good to photograph. The CIA were on my father in a heartbeat while he was taking photos while he was in the Navy. Thankfully he didn't get in trouble. Hopefully the situation will be cleared up soon, just some lost tourists it seems.

Hopefully....and does Greece have time for this ******** when they are in such a condition?

pb0yd1
11-17-2012, 03:43 PM
You would think ,said photos , digital etc ,is enough too clear them .There collective governments will find legal assistance ,but thats it so unless there family's or company has a bit off pull ,its the way the world is now terrorist law is so blurred whith normal criminal law .
Lets hope a country whith more to worry about , can still see sense ,insted off danger around every corner .

shobhit7777777
11-17-2012, 03:53 PM
You would think ,said photos , digital etc ,is enough too clear them .There collective governments will find legal assistance ,but thats it so unless there family's or company has a bit off pull ,its the way the world is now terrorist law is so blurred whith normal criminal law .
Lets hope a country whith more to worry about , can still see sense ,insted off danger around every corner .

I wonder why they were denied bail? It makes no sense..