PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] Easy Lee speedrun tactic (Charles Lee chase mission Sequence 12)

psf22
11-16-2012, 07:48 AM
I've seen a bunch of topics, mostly complaining about the difficulty or retartedness of this mission when it's not that hard at all, so i decided to make this crappy video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0Gj8li-mE

It's the easiest way without using any tools or too much back and forth hopping.

Hope it helps for those that have trouble syncing this. Again pardon the bad quality, it's the essence that counts

BoltActions
11-16-2012, 08:12 AM
The title alone is kind of a spoiler lol.

psf22
11-16-2012, 09:42 AM
The title alone is kind of a spoiler lol.

It's in the Hints/Tips section so it's ok.

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 10:09 AM
You and I are in the same boat in that this mission's pretty easy. The only difference is that I move onto the last ship right before Charles turns that corner. And I jumped from the head of the ship to land on the docks again.

psf22
11-16-2012, 10:36 AM
You and I are in the same boat in that this mission's pretty easy. The only difference is that I move onto the last ship right before Charles turns that corner. And I jumped from the head of the ship to land on the docks again.

Full on agree. No clue what the fuss is all about. Ubi even nerfing these missions :/

The way you did it, was my first try although not 100% synced, because the route to the ship / jumps (towards/off the ship) have to be more precise which can easily cost you the 50 meter objective in my experience at least. In fact i always clear the mission and afterwards i restart it for the full sync. Makes it less frustrating and keeps you in the flow of the story instead of busting heads for no reason except personal bragging rights.

I think the game does want you to cross the side path/ships for a more epic chase route though, but i couldn't sync it consistently.

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 11:04 AM
I think your way is a more certain way due to the precision factor you mentioned. Connor hops around the edge of the ship a little too often than I'd like.

What threw me off about this mission is when it cuts straight from the cutscene where Charles panicked, the barrels seem to explode sooner than if I restart. Also right after the cut from mentioned cutscene, Charles gets a better head start than after restarting. Did you experience this piece of interesting nonsense? I found myself using two separate tactics for the two variations this mission delivered.

psf22
11-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I think your way is a more certain way due to the precision factor you mentioned. Connor hops around the edge of the ship a little too often than I'd like.

What threw me off about this mission is when it cuts straight from the cutscene where Charles panicked, the barrels seem to explode sooner than if I restart. Also right after the cut from mentioned cutscene, Charles gets a better head start than after restarting. Did you experience this piece of interesting nonsense? I found myself using two separate tactics for the two variations this mission delivered.

Highlighted: Yeah exactly that, a bit random.

Very sharp of you, but i DID notice this regarding the continuous flow/restart. On restart it's actually even more easier but you're completely right.. as you can see from my video I almost instantly run towards the barrels to the left side (sorry for the blurry quality)

I didn't mention it because it would deviate (too much) from the easy jump/shove clue, which will work consistently in both scenario's. And if people are 'seriously' giving up on this mission (heck even game?!) the more reason i have to not bother with these intricacies..

I rather discuss small details like this, then how it's impossible to clear this mission

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm wondering how you did Hickey's chase mission. In some videos I saw, Hickey would be delayed by a carriage, and a successful tackle follows. I have no such luck with the carriage. I ended up chasing for a good while (maybe five trips) until I figured out his loop and took a short cut to flank him. Before that, I actually placed a snare in hopes of stopping him. Of course, the snare disappeared before we completed the loop.

At the end of the day, these missions are definitely pretty easy. Just have to think a little bit is all.

jamgamerforever
11-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Yep, that's what I did. Ever since AC2, I've used that tactic. The enemy sets up a line where they plan to stab you if you walk past, but you can just jump past, negating the line. Made this full sync really easy.

The only full syncs that were difficult in this game were "The Giant and the Storm" and "The Battle of Chesapeake". Because enemy ships die so darn easily.

psf22
11-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Yep, that's what I did. Ever since AC2, I've used that tactic. The enemy sets up a line where they plan to stab you if you walk past, but you can just jump past, negating the line. Made this full sync really easy.

The only full syncs that were difficult in this game were "The Giant and the Storm" and "The Battle of Chesapeake". Because enemy ships die so darn easily.

Yeah it's an old trick actually, i remembered it, tried it and it worked.

I agree on the ship missions, had the most trouble doing the 3/3 out of 3 fire storage mission. It's so random (it seems) Haven't really figured out the clue yet.

psf22
11-16-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm wondering how you did Hickey's chase mission. In some videos I saw, Hickey would be delayed by a carriage, and a successful tackle follows. I have no such luck with the carriage. I ended up chasing for a good while (maybe five trips) until I figured out his loop and took a short cut to flank him. Before that, I actually placed a snare in hopes of stopping him. Of course, the snare disappeared before we completed the loop.

At the end of the day, these missions are definitely pretty easy. Just have to think a little bit is all.

In all honesty when i went for the 100% sync on the Hickey mission i followed him about 5 times too! Then i was like "Hey wait, i'm missing something.. because the game surely doesn't want me to follow this guy for more than 1 round why else would he run in loops.." Then i figured out you can easily shortcut him by going left where Hickey goes right past the docks (with guards). So if you go left he eventually runs through an alley towards YOU and you can easily jump tackle him.
Check this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwrpY9Ba0F4#t=10m56

I did basically just that before i saw this video, with the exception of the slight detour at the beginning where Connor runs underneath the washed clothing. Also i went to the left for the shortcut at a later point (see above: before link), so that makes this video even better and faster.

jamgamerforever
11-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah it's an old trick actually, i remembered it, tried it and it worked.

I agree on the ship missions, had the most trouble doing the 3/3 out of 3 fire storage mission. It's so random (it seems) Haven't really figured out the clue yet.

I did them a couple of days ago. Took me 20+ attempts to get all 3. Often I would get 2 and cry when I wouldn't get the third.

If you want to know what ended up working for me (and if you do not, do not read any further!)...

First, I disabled all 3 ships with Chain Shot so they couldn't move. Then I rammed the front of each ship, but in a very specific way. I go at half sail, then go full stop just before impact. Takes a little bit, but eventually I got it. I think it does just come down to luck. A fully upgraded Aquila is just so OP.

jamgamerforever
11-16-2012, 07:09 PM
In all honesty when i went for the 100% sync on the Hickey mission i followed him about 5 times too! Then i was like "Hey wait, i'm missing something.. because the game surely doesn't want me to follow this guy for more than 1 round why else would he run in loops.." Then i figured out you can easily shortcut him by going left where Hickey goes right past the docks (with guards). So if you go left he eventually runs through an alley towards YOU and you can easily jump tackle him.
Check this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwrpY9Ba0F4#t=10m56

I did basically just that before i saw this video, with the exception of the slight detour at the beginning where Connor runs underneath the washed clothing. Also i went to the left for the shortcut at a later point (see above: before link), so that makes this video even better and faster.

Huh, I got this first try. Didn't realise it was supposed to be difficult. I swerve away from people while running through crowds though, so I almost never shove people during normal gameplay. Guess that might have helped me.

psf22
11-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I did them a couple of days ago. Took me 20+ attempts to get all 3. Often I would get 2 and cry when I wouldn't get the third.

If you want to know what ended up working for me (and if you do not, do not read any further!)...

First, I disabled all 3 ships with Chain Shot so they couldn't move. Then I rammed the front of each ship, but in a very specific way. I go at half sail, then go full stop just before impact. Takes a little bit, but eventually I got it. I think it does just come down to luck. A fully upgraded Aquila is just so OP.

No no please do share. I'm always up for tips and tricks even if i don't end up using it.

But yeah i think it's more luck than anything. Because you see when i tried all of the above it eventually worked for me minus the ship ramming. I just blasted with firebolts and the spot became clear after using chain shots.

For ex: the man-o-war can be rammed head on and then the spot becomes clear and you can blast it, and you have 2 little ships left right? Well that tactic all of a sudden just didn't work anymore (it stopped working) because the main ship just took a different route (usually to the right instead of coming towards me) from where i was coming from. So i was truly baffled when i saw random AI in this at the beginning part of course with the 3 ships sailing towards you.

The randomness in this mission also has to do whether you use an upgraded Aquila or not. It's just too strong when fully upgraded so it might mostly work against you in that particular mission.

psf22
11-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Huh, I got this first try. Didn't realise it was supposed to be difficult. I swerve away from people while running through crowds though, so I almost never shove people during normal gameplay. Guess that might have helped me.

I'm assuming with swerving away you mean run lateral/diagonal in conjunction with the R cam, because i figured that out too that you can evade people more easily without getting the shove animation. If that's not what you meant but just careful evading, well that didn't work for me, because i kept being behind Hickey unless i already shoved someone like my first try and then the AI just makes it easier to get him from behind. Just my experience though

I'd say the shortcut tactic is the easiest and most consistent way without getting any trouble of having to evade and watch out for accidental bumps etc.

Not to mention the AI on people is so random that sometimes even at the start of the mission you might get an immediate shoving on startup free-run.

Btw, what also works but it's not reliable or consistent in any way is using the ropedart on Hickey where the carriage comes up, he might get knocked down or bump into the carriage if you time it well (and are mostly lucky) for an easy jump tackle. I say it's not reliable because on my game the carriage timing also seemed to be random, sometimes very early sometimes very late.. sometimes not there at all. But i think on first try it's always there at a specific time.

Kaschra
11-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I had no problems with Lee's chase. Hickey's on the other hand... ugh.
It took some while until I realised that he was running in a loop.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Both Hickey and Lee chases are easy if you don't follow them directly. There are multiple shortcuts to catch them very fast

psf22
11-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Both Hickey and Lee chases are easy if you don't follow them directly. There are multiple shortcuts to catch them very fast

Very true. On the Hickey mission my map wasn't explored yet so i was just running behind him because i had no clue how the alleys ran let alone his route at first. Once you take the time to watch what he does and how the alleys line up it's cake.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Very true. On the Hickey mission my map wasn't explored yet so i was just running behind him because i had no clue how the alleys ran let alone his route at first. Once you take the time to watch what he does and how the alleys line up it's cake.

I think the big problem with these missions in AC3 is that previous games have used us to the same kind of standard chases over and over again. This time, they have our targets running as fast as ourselves which while technically still makes it possible to complete the chase 'the old way', obviously the designers wanted the players to get creative instead. And it is VERY easy to achieve actually with the number of alternate routes, especially in Hickey's chase.

psf22
11-17-2012, 01:25 AM
I think the big problem with these missions in AC3 is that previous games have used us to the same kind of standard chases over and over again. This time, they have our targets running as fast as ourselves which while technically still makes it possible to complete the chase 'the old way', obviously the designers wanted the players to get creative instead. And it is VERY easy to achieve actually with the number of alternate routes, especially in Hickey's chase.

It requires a bit more faster thinking yeah. Current gen gamers in general are VERY spoiled as far as difficulty and checkpoints are concerned though. Just read the numerous posts on various walkthrough video's and you'll be shocked as to what some are writing. With some i'm not even sure whether they are serious or joking.. for real.
One guy said he can't finish the Lee chase because he doesn't know how to slide underneath things. That was hopefully a joke, but not a funny one. It's like people don't try things for themselves these days, they go on the internet watch videos/clips/fora and complain (mostly for the sake of it) And usually these people are the ones talking about freedom and creativity in missions the most, when they're usually the worst players out there. With all do respect.

I'm sure half if not more have of these types of players never played a game like Ghosts n Goblins on NES, yet talk about unfair/poor design lmao

TrueAssassin77
11-17-2012, 01:33 AM

1st play thru i got it 1st try.
2md play thru, i failed cause some guy was lyiing on the ground and i shoved him without seeing hi,...

what i noticed. it is easiest the 1st try cause hickey doesn't have aan extra step on you because of the cutscecne. but if you fail once. everytime you re-do hickey has a head start because there is no cutscence