PDA

View Full Version : Angry Joe's Review - Required Watching for Devs Making Next Game :)

bruise2010
11-16-2012, 03:14 AM
I like AC3, but I think Angry Joes review is very accurate and should definitely be taken as a serious point of reference to the developers of the series.

When they make the next game, they absolutely need to take into account many of the criticisms put in this review, otherwise the series tropes will probably become cliches, which nobody wants :)

(language warning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA7mnoeXe3I&feature=g-all-lik (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA7mnoeXe3I)

Enjoy!

A notable criticism, is the misleading nature of the CGI trailer, that really gives you the impression we would be free roaming on battlefields, when really, you are stuck to a very specific path during that moment.

Anyway, have a watch, it's very entertaining an has some great points.

http://forums.ubi.com/image.php?u=1341747&type=sigpic&dateline=1359432244

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 03:20 AM
A notable criticism, is the misleading nature of the CGI trailer, that really gives you the impression we would be free roaming on battlefields, when really, you are stuck to a very specific path during that moment.

Criticize marketing, then. Don't let pre-release ads effect the game's own merits. The game is very flawed, but using the "$%#%@ was promised" as grounds for criticism is just amateur.

bruise2010
11-16-2012, 03:23 AM
Criticize marketing, then. Don't let pre-release ads effect the game's own merits. The game is very flawed, but using the "$%#%@ was promised" as grounds for criticism is just amateur.

hey man, he didn't say promised, he just said it was a dissapointing use of the setting, given how creative that ad looked with the idea of "assasin" in that period. Ya know?

Nobody said anything about promises. It's just not as cool if you can't do it much in game. :) Marketing might be to blame, true. Oh well :)

http://forums.ubi.com/image.php?u=1341747&type=sigpic&dateline=1359432244

Assassin_M
11-16-2012, 03:27 AM
hey man, he didn't say promised, he just said it was a dissapointing use of the setting, given how creative that ad looked with the idea of "assasin" in that period. Ya know?

Nobody said anything about promises. It's just misleading, thats just a fact sorry.
He should know better than to base "expectation" off of CGI Trailers..

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 03:30 AM

Nobody said anything about promises. It's just misleading, thats just a fact sorry.
I worded it wrong. But he still let a full blown trailer to establish a certain degree of excitement. All AC CGI trailers are awesome, but no game really hit the same high note as their respective trailers.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Some valid points, some laughable.

And of course he only wants funny Ezio/Nathan Drake/Gary Stu archetype clones for the main protagonist Jeez what is wrong with people...

Assassin_M
11-16-2012, 03:38 AM
Some valid points, some laughable.

And of course he only wants funny Ezio/Nathan Drake/Gary Stu archetype clones for the main protagonist Jeez what is wrong with people...
Unfortunately, the Laughable points just did it for me... I couldn't take him seriously anymore..

And Ironically, OP is Passionately asking the Devs to seriously consider this... Just No..

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Unfortunately, the Laughable points just did it for me... I couldn't take him seriously anymore..

And Ironically, OP is Passionately asking the Devs to seriously consider this... Just No..
It's Angry Joe! Nobody......, sorry, I don't watch him for reviews, just some laughs. Some are pretty hilarious, too.

pirate1802
11-16-2012, 06:58 AM
I always thought Angry Joe's reviews were meant for teh lulz..

Farlander1991
11-16-2012, 07:10 AM
I like Angry Joe and enjoy watching his reviews, but after he said that Connor is dull because he's humourless and complained about the crappiness of Captain Kidd's treasure while showing off Peg Leg trinkets (heck, I haven't played the game yet and even I know that you collect trinkets for Peg Leg to get treasure maps for Kidd's treasure), I completely stopped caring what he thought about the game, positive or negative.

scooper121s
11-16-2012, 07:36 AM
So did I my friend, so did I

AdrianJacek
11-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Did he... did he say that the Trinkets ARE Kidd's treausure? Oh dear... You think he actually missed those missions? :P
Oh, and complaining about the Animus... it's like complaining about Mass Relays in Mass Effect. It's a part of the universe from Day 1, it was never anything else. It's built around the contrast between the ancestor and 2012.

Aphex_Tim
11-16-2012, 08:11 AM

They are.
I've only watched the first 15 seconds so far and i already love it. :p

pirate1802
11-16-2012, 08:18 AM
They are.
I've only watched the first 15 seconds so far and i already love it. :p

Then why is OP asking the devs to take note? I don't understand....

scooper121s
11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Then why is OP asking the devs to take note? I don't understand....
Maybe he has a screw loose

pirate1802
11-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Maybe he has a screw loose

lmao

scooper121s
11-16-2012, 08:26 AM
lmao
Or maybe he just hates Ac

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Did he... did he say that the Trinkets ARE Kidd's treausure? Oh dear... You think he actually missed those missions? :P
He's probably one of those reviewers who didn't do any sidequests just because he didn't "feel like it." Even if time constraints, reviewers should at least do two or three of all category. Sadly, AJ here is not the only internet reviewer who is guilty of skipping things. And combat's "too easy?" Maybe that's why he's getting owned as indicated by the footage he captured.

BBALive
11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Angry Joe is a horrible reviewer. He isn't funny either.

Aphex_Tim
11-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Angry Joe is a horrible reviewer. He isn't funny either.

Depends on your sense of humour.

Maurice_Wijma
11-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Really the worst review I could have seen about AC3.

He seems to have rushed through the game, expecting to see all content, and more importantly, the real character that Connor is.

The only time I liked to watch this review, was when he failed toget his job done right, by telling that "you just need to press X" in the Lexington war part, when the video behind him showed "press B". Even on the PS3 that must be another butten than "X".

Really funny was that he said that we can finally play as a female assassin in the multiplayer. But wait, we could play a female in every version of multiplayer, since the MP was introduced in AC:B. And to really get into this subject, we don't play as assassins in MP, but as Templars. So no, it is not the first time that we play as a FEMALE ASSASSIN.

And about the end of AC? What would anybody expect? An epic fight of Desmond VS "A Solar Flare"?

I really don't like to rant about things, but this guy is just out to get this game down, without even being right in any way, and he doesn't even stick to the facts.

scooper121s
11-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Really the worst review I could have seen about AC3.

He seems to have rushed through the game, expecting to see all content, and more importantly, the real character that Connor is.

The only time I liked to watch this review, was when he failed toget his job done right, by telling that "you just need to press X" in the Lexington war part, when the video behind him showed "press B". Even on the PS3 that must be another butten than "X".

Really funny was that he said that we can finally play as a female assassin in the multiplayer. But wait, we could play a female in every version of multiplayer, since the MP was introduced in AC:B. And to really get into this subject, we don't play as assassins in MP, but as Templars. So no, it is not the first time that we play as a FEMALE ASSASSIN.

And about the end of AC? What would anybody expect? An epic fight of Desmond VS "A Solar Flare"?

I really don't like to rant about things, but this guy is just out to get this game down, without even being right in any way, and he doesn't even stick to the facts.
If you read the hacked profiles some of them are assassins not templars

Maurice_Wijma
11-16-2012, 10:29 AM
If you read the hacked profiles some of them are assassins not templars

Ok, thanks, that was my mistake. I was in the idea of the first MP, were was explained that they were all Templars, if I remember right.

scooper121s
11-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Ok, thanks, that was my mistake. I was in the idea of the first MP, were was explained that they were all Templars, if I remember right.
Wiki should tell you, if i'm not mistaken

Sickull
11-16-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't agree with the final verdict or most of his gripes with the game but I still thought it was a genuine and honest review also somebody already mentioned this but not every character needs to be this Nathan Drake or as Hutchinson would say Errol Flynn kind of guy.

WarlordSpinal
11-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Eh, i like Joe, i really do. I've been following him and his reviews for a while now. But this review? I think it was pretty bad.

(SPOILERS AHEAD)

I can understand not liking a character, but he basically only disliked Connor for not being Ezio. Ezio was a young nobleman raised in a very "modern" family. While he did lose his Father and brothers and his early life was very painful; he still at least had his mother and sister (And later on, even the Brotherhood along with Leonardo and a few other of his close friends. Point being; he had people that cared for him and that he cared for.)

Connor is just an outsider. After seeing his mother die in a brutal fire at an insanely young age, and then finding out that his father is a Templar, you really can't expect him to be nearly as colorful or charming as Ezio.

Though really, did Joe seriously complain about there not being "large epic battles" in an Assassin's Creed game? Come on now, i realize the cinematic was kind of misleading, but then again; all of them are. Just go look at SWTOR's Blur cinematics. Do you think the gameplay is like that in game?

scooper121s
11-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't agree with the final verdict or most of his gripes with the game but I still thought it was a genuine and honest review also somebody already mentioned this but not every character needs to be this Nathan Drake or as Hutchinson would say Errol Flynn kind of guy.
Sensible verdict, at least your not going, oh WTF OP your stupid

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Eh, i like Joe, i really do. I've been following him and his reviews for a while now. But this review? I think it was pretty bad.

I don't what is it about this particular game that brings out the ignorance out of decent reviewers. There are scathing reviews that I totally understand, but for whatever reason instead of the in-depth analysis these reviewers have always brought to the table, most of them delivered their scathing reviews without any meat. They get hung up on petty reasons such as the absence of tall buildings and broken controls (when it really sounds like they just suck at the game). Even some major review magazines/sites are guilty of this. **** the future.

scooper121s
11-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't what is it about this particular game that brings out the ignorance out of decent reviewers. There are scathing reviews that I totally understand, but for whatever reason instead of the in-depth analysis these reviewers have always brought to the table, most of them delivered their scathing reviews without any meat. They get hung up on petty reasons such as the absence of tall buildings and broken controls (when it really sounds like they just suck at the game). Even some major review magazines/sites are guilty of this. **** the future.
*sigh* and if the OP's any evedence, people are falling for the reviews

Jexx21
11-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Similar things happened with the Spider-Man movie.

People don't look at the underside of media anymore.

pirate1802
11-16-2012, 01:20 PM

That was the case with ACR and ACR multis. But I hear some of the ancestors in AC III multi are templars, some assassins and some none. Interesting.. :D

ShrunkLawyer0
11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
actually i agree with angry joe to some extent in that the game was way to closed off also the naval missions were a lot of fun

AdrianJacek
11-16-2012, 03:10 PM
It seems like he skipped most of the Homestead missions. Which is not good because you can't properly forge your opinion about Connor's character without them. And most of "side missions" he mentioned are actually collectibles, not proper missions. And Trinkets... like - seriously? How did he missed the Kidd missions? He DID play a lot of naval segments but he didn't catch on the concept? Well, to be honest looking back at it... it does sound a bit complicated. :P
You get items (Trinkets) so you can get other items (letters) that will lead you to different items (map pieces) which will lead you to the treasure.

DoNNiEDaRkO50
11-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I really like joe's reviews and most of His reviews are Good ! but I have to disagree with him on this one ,,, I mean the side missions boring? maybe in the past AC games but This one ? I almost like the side missions as the main missions it's really entertaining !! and the story !! it's just freaking amazing !! this is definitely my favorite AC ever ! The gameplay ,, the Soundtrack ( Simply awesome),, The graphics,, the story ,, everything ,, the desmond sections is cool but could have been better ,, I don't get all the hating on this game ? I got the game since October the 30th ,,, and I have only encountered 2 glitches only.I just can't get enough of this game due to school :S

Kaswa101
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
I really like joe's reviews and most of His reviews are Good ! but I have to disagree with him on this one ,,, I mean the side missions boring? maybe in the past AC games but This one ? I almost like the side missions as the main missions it's really entertaining !! and the story !! it's just freaking amazing !! this is definitely my favorite AC ever ! The gameplay ,, the Soundtrack ( Simply awesome),, The graphics,, the story ,, everything ,, the desmond sections is cool but could have been better ,, I don't get all the hating on this game ? I got the game since October the 30th ,,, and I have only encountered 2 glitches only.I just can't get enough of this game due to school :S

Yeah this! :D

Hopefully the patch will address most of these problems too. ')