PDA

View Full Version : New to series, any tips?

crowfoot.022
11-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Just bought AC 3, absolutely loving the first few hours.

I know most people will probably just tell me to go back and play some of the previous games (which I intend to do), but I would like to ask if you could post some tips and tricks for a newbie to the game. I am figuring out the combat system quite quickly, and getting use to free running in the cities and frontier. What I would like to know are some the little things that long-time players would have liked to know earlier on.

Anything is appreciated, I just want to get the absolute most out of this fantastic game!!

tgow2010
11-16-2012, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't say there are any tips for combat or free running as it's fairly different from the last few games. But story wise, you'll DEFINITELY want to go back and play them in order to get the most out of it.

dchil279
11-16-2012, 02:56 AM
some people might tell you not to waste your time with the first game but dont listen to them it is still the best game of the series.

AllThatJuice
11-16-2012, 03:01 AM
some people might tell you not to waste your time with the first game but dont listen to them it is still the best game of the series.

That's down to personal opinion.

But definitely play all the games in the series though.

Krayus Korianis
11-16-2012, 03:05 AM
Don't think in 2D. There's a way to do every mission easily if you move around, do another path. Up a tree and go by the way of branches, OR go up a building and skirt around the side to get better aimed at your target. Do anything that won't get you noticed, and you'll get the missions done easily.

The Naval missions, always try to broadside the target when they're coming at you (like towards) or away (from behind them). Use the swivels for the smaller ships, they'll blow right up. Also use the swivels for powder kegs shown on bigger ships after a broadside or two.

dchil279
11-16-2012, 03:30 AM
That's down to personal opinion.

But definitely play all the games in the series though.
true but at least we can agree the first game is certainly worth a playthrough

ProdiGurl
11-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Expect totally different controls and focus on different aspects in the different games you play after AC3. Get an icepack ready for your fingers when you have to micro control most all of your moves and climbing. (at least till ACR mercifully introduced the handy dandy Hookblade) :p But then maybe you'll prefer that.

With AC in general, one thing I learned is that sometimes trying to do things as fast as possible to cut corners will often cost you more time thru mistakes you make.
Try to be precise in movements the first time around so you don't have to redo too often.

At this point in the series, I've come to love all the games (didn't play AC1) differently on their own merit and for different things Devs brought into that game.
For ACB, I love it for the Setting in Rome, the Assassin ceremony, Soundtrack, Ezio in his prime, Tower capture/Recruiting system.... the chain kill was FUN,
for ACR the better recruiting & leveling system w/ Assassin Dens, Yusuf & working w/ recruits on missions, music was great, enjoyed the Assassin missions, loved bombs ..
AC2 - the intense story & drama, Ezio was wonderful, lots of variety & fun missions - element of mystery was there w/ #16....
Lots to like in each of them but it's all a matter of personal preference.

scooper121s
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
true but at least we can agree the first game is certainly worth a playthrough
Yes it is, I loved the first game greatly
Edit: lol at this moment all the last posts on the front page are by me

ProdiGurl
11-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes it is, I loved the first game greatly
Edit: lol at this moment all the last posts on the front page are by me

lol I know the feeling. I have such a horrible habit of thinking of more things to say later or posting & then reading more of the thread & adding on more reply posts.......
I hope I'm not annoying people with my posting style :( lol I try hard not to be obnoxious hehe

crowfoot.022
11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
This is all great stuff, thank you everyone.

I agree with you Krayus, I have the mindset of trying stealthily and carefully going after targets and objectives rather than blazing in without thinking it through. That's what I love about this game, the outcome of the mission will always be the same, but you can play through each sequence many times with a completely different approach.

Another thing I am curious about is what to do when I exit the Animus. Because I have not played the other games in the series, I don't think I have the same excitement for the "modern day" things that are going on (although I'm not far along enough yet to have done any missions as Desmond). What can I do outside the Animus and does any of it make a difference in "past day"?

kuled2012
11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
You just roam about in the Temple really, although you do get missions as Desmond in this game and to the left of the animus is the computer to read your e-mails :)